PDA

View Full Version : Album Production Quality Question

03gills
17 Mar 2004, 20:53
Has Anyone ever heard of bands re recording albums with better production quality i.e better mixing, better sound engineers, ect, ect to get the sound that perhaps due to lake of money or lack of time or lack of skilled producers (or even all 3) that they feel the original didnt have, i know it's rare but i think thats why SOME of meats songs didnt hit the spot for the casual meatloaf listener, wat du think??

Rob The Badger
17 Mar 2004, 21:08
The reason casual listeners aren't as fond of some songs has, imo, nothing to do with production. Casual listeners very rearely know what production in.

evil nickname
17 Mar 2004, 23:13
Has Anyone ever heard of bands re recording albums with better production quality i.e better mixing, better sound engineers, ect, ect to get the sound that perhaps due to lake of money or lack of time or lack of skilled producers (or even all 3) that they feel the original didnt have, i know it's rare but i think thats why SOME of meats songs didnt hit the spot for the casual meatloaf listener, wat du think??

Quite a sentence to get processed here :)

I know some examples of bands re-recoring songs and albums (on a far lesser scale):
- Iced Earth (http://www.icedearth.com) has rerecorded different parts from different songs from different albums (drums on some, bits of guitar, a lot of the vocals) for their "Days Of Purgatory" compilation. The reasons herefor were (iirc) that their first two singers were not that good, and the production was not what they wanted.
- Lana Lane (http://www.lanalane.com) has re-recorded the vocals for a re-release of her "Curious Goods" album, and the album as a whole was remixed (I'll get to that later). This was done due to new insights of the producer (her husband) and new available technology.
- Bon Jovi (http://www.bonjovi.com) has recorded several songs for their "This Left Feels Right" compilations. They wanted to re-interpret their work.
- Ozzy Ozzbourne has re-recorded bass- and drumtracks for several re-issued albums so he would not have to pay the original drummer and bassist anymore.
As you see there, are various examples, for various different reasons.

As I said, I would come back to remixing. I have the feeling a large part of the listeneres in the rock-/metalscene see this as a bad thing. That is not nescesarily true. Not all remixes attempt to make a dance version of a song. More often, a remix is made to let a song sound different: pumping the bass, lowering the volume of the guitars, crank the drums up a notch or two, that kind of stuff. Iced Earth have released a boxset containing their first three albums in a remixed form. On some songs I can hear a choirpart that can't be heard on the original album...

That being said: I do agree with Rob that casual listeners usally don't think of production quality that much (parafrasing here). When I listen to music while doing other things (like typing lenthy replies) I am usally to occupied with what I'm doing to notice the finer details of a recording. But when I'm just surfing round the web, headphones up, I pick up those details far more often (plus, I'm a audioholic).
As for why some of Meat's song don't hit the spot: let's be honest- he has recorded several songs that are mediocre at best. If one album suffers from bad material, I'd say it's "Blind Before I Stop". But in that case, it could also be the producers insights in how to mix a rock album (with dancebeats :)

I was going to say something about Dead Ringer that maybe could benefit from new vocals, but I got lost along the way... nevermind :)

William

saddam
18 Mar 2004, 00:46
LostProphets re-produced their first album as they had no money when it was first put together so sound is dodgy. Album did ok so they reproduced it in America and sounds much better now. Ive always found Meats recent stuff to be well produced, especially CHSIB

badger
18 Mar 2004, 21:57
You get an awful lot of 'remastered' albums.

The collectors edition of Bat, plus a couple of other versions, are remastered from the original tapes so they give a different sound to the original CD release.

Rob The Badger
19 Mar 2004, 18:37
Re-mastered, re-shmastered. Milking it is what it is. . .

03gills
30 Apr 2004, 12:06
Bat, Bat 2, bad attitude WTTN & CSIB are the best meat albums because every song has it's own style, which is why the best producers are the ones wich make each song different and special. On the flip side however, MATLAF, BBIS, & Dead Ringer just aren't diverse enough with production, however i agree with Quigmo on Dead Ringer, as it is it is a poor album and production is the reason behind this, but has huge potential to be be an exellent album, as long as jim steinman is at the production helm.