PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding Contribution To Music Award

ChrisBelfast
19 Feb 2004, 18:29
Did anyone happen to wonder why Duran Duran got this Brit Award ahead of many other artists including Meat?

Comparing the 2 of them:

Duran Duran last had an album of new material out a decade ago.
Their last live gig/tour was 18 years ago
They were the only people at the Brit Awards not to have a record Lable??

Its frustrating to See Meat who has had all of the above in the last year ignored. Looking at the whole Brits afair, How many of the artists there that night would do a full world tour like Meat is doing after Heart Surgery, never mind carrying it on a week from the date he left hospital????

Are there not the type of people the music industry wants to acknowledge?

Rob The Badger
19 Feb 2004, 18:38
The Brits are for British acts.
Duran Duran made some cracking songs. And have infuenced the british pop music scene of the 90's to no end. I have not heard of a british artist/band who has been in any way influenced my Meat Loaf's work.

Also, they engaged on a world tour a few months ago.

kirstynic
19 Feb 2004, 18:43
the brits used to be good now they are rubbish not worth watchin bring back the days of oasis vs blur and pulp vs michael jackson now we have to settle for erm well busted wahey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?

Heli
19 Feb 2004, 18:50
I hate the Brit awards!!! Omg it is terrible now!!

I mean the brit awards is about British music right!! So why the hell do they loads of stupid ones like best international award, best international new comer, best international video, best international group, best internation new comer video, best international new group, best international male, best international female!!!! Grr i know half of them dont even exist but they might aswell!!! :evil: :evil:

Bad bad bad awards!!

Mike Piercy
19 Feb 2004, 19:17
The record industry promotes its current favourites, it pushes what it wants its audience to buy.

We shouldn't be surprised that established stars are now overlooked or can't get airplay. Equally we shouldn't knock real talent like Alicia Keys, she'll be around a long time and is a wonderful musician and singer.

Meat has a Brit Award and performed at the Brits so he has had success there in the past.

Vote Meat

Mike

Heli
19 Feb 2004, 19:24
Hey why don't we start a petition to get Meat a life time achievement award......or have you lot already done that???? :??:

Chris
19 Feb 2004, 19:46
Meat's Brit was awarded in 1994 for Best Selling single & album.

This was classed as a one-off "discretionary award."

With the exception of the best international awards, all the artists must be British (not much point in celebrating The BRITS otherwise!!) The outstanding contribution has to go to a British group/band.

Pudding
19 Feb 2004, 23:27
The outstanding contribution has to go to a British group/band.

If that's true then how come they've had Cliff Richards who was born in India, Freddie Mercury who was born in Zanzibar and Fleetwood Mac who half of them were born in the states listed as outstanding contribution?

Pud :twisted:

Chris
19 Feb 2004, 23:32
Cliff Richard was born in india but at the time it was still under British rule and he is a British citizen.

The rest all took British citizenship or were acts primarily based in Britain on British labels.

Pudding
19 Feb 2004, 23:50
Fleetwood Mac has been primarily based in the States for a long long time.

How come it also lists U2 when they are predominantly based in and are from Ireland (Dublin to be exact) and that's NOT part of Britain?

Also that means Madonna is eligible for an outstanding contribution award because I believe she has her British Citizenship now!

Pud :twisted:

rockfenris2005
20 Feb 2004, 06:08
Look! Shut up and don't post this shit unless he's won it! It's very frustrating to be blindly deceived by titles of such posts, then to find it's only wishful thinking. It's spoilt many, many of my days. Sorry, though, it's just how I feel - and I have nothing against you personally. Please understand

rachelba
21 Feb 2004, 12:41
Seems like someone got out of bed the wrong side!!!

Gez
21 Feb 2004, 15:22
Seems like someone got out of bed the wrong side!!!

...........or not been to bed at all 8O

Dave
22 Feb 2004, 08:55
Look! Shut up and don't post this shit unless he's won it!
Look! You should learn how to treat people with a little more respect than what you do. People sometimes get a little sick and tired of being talked down to by a pompus and self-rightous kid. We are NOT children in here Ryan, and I think most of us damned well think we should be treated like adults. This was a good and valid conversation until you came in here abusing fellow forum users. I think you need to take your power trip back to the Rockman Record (where you are even less tolerated). This is about music and about a great artist, not about what YOU think people should post about and how YOU think they should post.

gerard359
22 Feb 2004, 12:43
yes, i am sure Meat is devistated not to be awarded a Brit and not to be as highly regarded as the amazing....................."busted"..... give me a break, you should be delighted Meat didnt have to go to the biggest joke of awards ever created!!!!!!

Heli
22 Feb 2004, 12:52
We are NOT children in here

Well lawfully i'm under 16 so i'm classed as a child, but i'd like to be treated as an adult, and i shall act the same.................sometimes :twisted: !!

Lemon Girl
22 Feb 2004, 13:42
How come it also lists U2 when they are predominantly based in and are from Ireland (Dublin to be exact) and that's NOT part of Britain?Pud :twisted:

As I undestand it U2 can only be nominated in the International categories themselves along with other Irish artistes, such as Damien Rice this year.

As they won the Outstanding Contribution Award a few years ago then perhaps that can go to International Acts as well.

I'm a big fan of U2 as well as Meat. :D

Chris
22 Feb 2004, 15:18
To be really picky!!!

U2 are eligible for the normal Brit awards as The Edge is not Irish, he is British!!!