PDA

View Full Version : To Hell & Back

Jaymze
04 May 2002, 22:40
Has anyone seen To Hell and Back because I've read the his autobiography and VH1s version of events seem to be very different, to begin with the VH1 THAB uses quotes from Behind The Music: Bat Out of Hell and it seems to leave out a lot about his life, including the incident with his manager Sam Dellentash and the fact he was a drug addict and alcoholic. Also did he really go back to see his father? I did like the ending though, how he sang I Would Do Anything for Love with just Steinmann on the piano- but did this really happen?

BTW does anyone know where I can get ahold of the 1993 Grammy's performance of Out Of The Frying Pan And Into The Fire??

Steve
05 May 2002, 00:43
Just goes to show how poorly real life translates into a good story!

No-one likes to see the hero's failings being graphically portrayed - it makes it far less likely that the hero will be credible on the way up again! However, the alcoholism was fairly strongly alluded to in THAB. Come to think about it, 2 years was dealt with by the passage of 3 buses in about 10 seconds - so an exhaustive study of ML's life it was not!!

Nevertheless, he did make it - let's hope he doesn't make the return journey again!

Anonymous
08 May 2002, 21:52
Has anyone seen To Hell and Back because I've read the his autobiography and VH1s version of events seem to be very different, to begin with the VH1 THAB uses quotes from Behind The Music: Bat Out of Hell and it seems to leave out a lot about his life, including the incident with his manager Sam Dellentash and the fact he was a drug addict and alcoholic. Also did he really go back to see his father? I did like the ending though, how he sang I Would Do Anything for Love with just Steinmann on the piano- but did this really happen?

BTW does anyone know where I can get ahold of the 1993 Grammy's pe :cry: rformance of Out Of The Frying Pan And Into The Fire??

I argee with the lizard.
P.S MEATLOAF IS GREAT !!!!!"

Shane
09 May 2002, 12:02
As I recall, Meat HATED the biopic. I don't know why, but I guess it was the inaccuracies and things left out. I hate it too. To me, its just low budget made-for-tv crap. I would have liked it to be a movie for cinemas with much more detail and accuracy.

I'm not too sure, but I heard from somewhere (this is a very vague memory and I can't remember where) that Meat AND Jim had seen and approved the script, but after that, more changes were made or something. Don't quote me on that though.

I thought it was kind of funny how Amanda (playing the part of the grocery clerk) and the baby Leslie was carrying (who was playing the part of Amanda) were in the same scene!!

Meatles
09 May 2002, 22:13
I agree about the biopic , it is so incorrect that it's depressing!
Here are some inaccurices

-Meat never went out with a girl named Aaron during is tour with
"Hair"; However , he was good friends with Stoney Murphy who was also part of the play.

-Meat Loaf didn't audition for Steinman until 72'73 , and well after
"Hair".

-Meat wasn't married in '76 ! he was married in early '79 to Leslie
after the Bat tour.

-The last show from the Bat tour wasn't in Minnesota ; it was on
Long Island at Nassau Coliseum

-in the film ,meat quotes that he was on the road for 6 months for the Bat Tour , it was actually from November to September , 10 months.

-Meat tried cutting the Bad For Good Tracks in 1979 , not 1980 ,

-"Peel Out" was what Meat was trying to sing for the Bad For Good
takes on the film , but "Peel Out" was not on the Bad For Good album.

-Leslie didn't go into labor at the studio

-Meat didn't see his father in 1983 , it was in the mid seventies.

-Meat didn't go on the small venue tour until 88' in America , not '86!

-Jim and Meat actually got back together in 86' to get ready for Bat 2 , not in 1991 and it wasn't as quickly as portrayed in the film.

-Meat did accept his Grammy on stage in 1994

-The cancer benefit was in 1996 and Meat sang "Lie For You",
not "Anything For Love"

-Meat didn't cut his hair until '97