PDA

View Full Version : [Spain] The 51 State. "Negocios Sucios"

Juan Llanos
23 Aug 2003, 18:48
When I had lost the hope that it was having the premiere in Spain " The 51 State " they have released it today under this curious title.

Tim
23 Aug 2003, 23:18
It is a strange and funny movie... Thought that ML hated it... but i don't know for sure.

Got it on DVD... only watched it once... More times to come...

ROSIE
24 Aug 2003, 17:48
I laughed all the way through this film

'I said take care of him not take care of him'

wonderful

Rosie

original sin
25 Aug 2003, 15:33
The Dogs ................ :twisted:

ongapisa doesn't that translate as Dirty Business?
Didn't it have a diffrent name in the States as well?

Juan Llanos
25 Aug 2003, 15:41
The Dogs ................ :twisted:

ongapisa doesn't that translate as Dirty Business?
Didn't it have a diffrent name in the States as well?

Yes, I forget to translate... "Dirty Bussiness" in States no idea, but from "The 51 State" to "Dirty Bussiness"... I don't know who translate it... I'll traslate it as "El estado 51" or maybe "Formula 51" but not that.

I see the movie yesterday... It's not a great movie, but I spent a good time... and Meat was funny.

ROSIE
25 Aug 2003, 15:43
Yes you are right it did have a different name in the US, can't for life of me remember what it is thiugh. I remember chiken b.....................s

Rosie

original sin
25 Aug 2003, 15:52
It was Formula 51 in the states I think. I really enjoyed it, but a lot of the dry humour was very British and I think probably loses a lot in translating.

ROSIE
25 Aug 2003, 15:56
I agree the football sorry soccer element was totally British and the language and sayings the same. The soccer theme (Robert Carlyle) was totally brilliant and alien to anyone outside these isles and I say this as someone who doesn't like soccer even though my grandad was an Arsenal goalkeeper.

Rosie

original sin
25 Aug 2003, 16:04
:mrgreen: and mine scored the first ever goal at Wembley :mrgreen:

now I'm gonna get shot for ging off topic :oops:
But in a desperate attempt to rectify that, I can't see why they have to change the film names from country to country, Mc Donalds doesn't change it's name when it has restaurants across the world.

ROSIE
25 Aug 2003, 16:08
I totally agree keep the names the same perhaps we could start a new political party. I'll go now shall I

Rosie

original sin
25 Aug 2003, 16:28
Don't go Rosie - unless it's to get the new politcal party started.... me thinks that is a very good idea. If something has a proper name it should not change just becasue it is being marketed in a different country -
Just like you are Rosie and I am Sin no matter where we go in the world.

ROSIE
25 Aug 2003, 16:35
OK I won't go but I still want to go into politics doing a B Sc in Criminal Psychology that should help don't you think

Rosie

SVZ
25 Aug 2003, 16:58
i rented it the other day..very funny movie :)

were meats scenes actually shot in liverpool?
my parents are from liverpool(im there right now..til the weekend)
..i can remember the dock roads bein closed of for filmin..lol

CarylB
26 Aug 2003, 04:24
SVZ wrote:
were meats scenes actually shot in liverpool?

Yes the film was shot in Liverpool, and that's where Meat filmed. I chuckle at what he'd have made of Ricky Tomlinson's accent and turn of phrase :))

sherrie87
01 Oct 2003, 05:33
I've just finally seen this film last week. Meat was mean as hell in this one, huh? I usually find something vaguely redeeming in his characters, but the Lizard was pure evil. I loved the "explosive" ending, how much more over the top could you get?

Sherrie

ROSIE
01 Oct 2003, 21:15
i loved this one as well Sherrie especially for the liverpool and football himour, I said take care of him, not take care of him Loved it

Rosie

martha_mae
02 Dec 2003, 15:48
But in a desperate attempt to rectify that, I can't see why they have to change the film names from country to country, Mc Donalds doesn't change it's name when it has restaurants across the world.

In response to this i think its because if it was released here under its US title Formula 51 it would have only attracted an older audience, who'd have thought it was a movie about a chemist. Whereas 51st State would appeal to a much wider audience.

Prime example of a film not changing its name was 'Swimfan' which bombed in the UK.