PDA

View Full Version : Help - Looking for a Vinyl Records as a present

DeniseS
16 Mar 2017, 07:24
Hi there.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register.

First off, this is not about me. It's about my father. He is a big fan of Meat Loaf. So please bear that in mind.

Anyway, next month he will turn 50 and there will be a huge celebration. Due to the fact he is such a ML-fan, I thought about getting him something ML related. I know he is a big fan of old Vinyl Records. He always says they sound much better.

So I came up with the idea of getting him some nice, old ML Vinyl Records. I already did some research online and checked out some websites classified adds, but I simply don't know which one to pick. There are so many for sale. And I also don't know about the quality. How can I tell it is good or not? Especially if you buy a used record.

And furthermore, I think it's hard to pick one specific album. So I was thinking about a compilation. Does anybody knows here if there are any ML Vinyl Compilations available?

Generally, do you guys here think this is a good idea? Any advice for a nice compilation? There's still plenty of time left.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Denise.

AndrewG
16 Mar 2017, 10:27
Discogs (https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=meat+loaf&format_exact=Vinyl&type=all) is your best bet to find quality second hand vinyls. Look at the marketplace for each record in that list. Some are dead cheap so you can probably get a decent ML vinyl collection for about £30 I reckon. Of the studio albums Coudln't have said it better is hardest to source, followed by Bat 2 and Welcome to the neighborhood. Bat 2 is useless as it was a single hot vinyl pressing (thus soft and gives you bad quality playback) and is more of a collector's item than a properly playable album. Those 3 albums are now more for the completists I guess.

Bat / Dead Ringer / Braver can be bought new via Amazon / HMV and other places.

No Meat Loaf compilations on vinyl beyond Hits out of Hell as far as I am aware. That one can be bought second hand for sure. Just look for the ratings on Discogs. I usually only buy Mint / Near Mint / VG+ etc. Most sellers on there are good from who I've dealt with. Just look at their feedback.

eBay can perhaps be used to source very rare copies but I wouldn't recommend going via that route initially. Many bad copies on there from my experience and some people load them off on occasion rather than know how to send or handle vinyl properly. I got a Phil Collins double vinyl sent to me and it was wrecked as the guy used binders to protect it. Useless.

A new copy of Bat I think makes an excellent birthday present if he doesn't have it yet. Best place to start I think.

DeniseS
17 Mar 2017, 08:14
Discogs (https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=meat+loaf&format_exact=Vinyl&type=all) is your best bet to find quality second hand vinyls. Look at the marketplace for each record in that list. Some are dead cheap so you can probably get a decent ML vinyl collection for about £30 I reckon.

Great! Thanks for your advice and that link Andrew!

I'll have at look at it this weekend.

DeniseS
20 Mar 2017, 05:02
Hi there.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register.

First off, this is not about me. It's about my father. He is a big fan of Meat Loaf. So please bear that in mind.

Anyway, next month he will turn 50 and there will be a huge celebration. Due to the fact he is such a ML-fan, I thought about getting him something ML related. I know he is a big fan of old Vinyl Records. He always says they sound much better.

So I came up with the idea of getting him some nice, old ML Vinyl Records. I already did some research online and checked out some websites classified adds like http://www.for-sale.co.uk/meat-loaf-vinyl. But I simply don't know which one to pick. There are so many for sale. And I also don't know about the quality. How can I tell it is good or not? Especially if you buy a used record.

And furthermore, I think it's hard to pick one specific album. So I was thinking about a compilation. Does anybody knows here if there are any ML Vinyl Compilations available?

Generally, do you guys here think this is a good idea? Any advice for a nice compilation? There's still plenty of time left.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Denise.

I finally found some nice ones. And some records were only about $5 to $7. I didn't expect them to be so cheap. I guess most of them are second hand and used for sale.

Discogs is really a great resource. I'll keep that in mind!