Might I ever care? ;)

Wario
14 Sep 2015, 04:22
Yes you should care this is how each release sounds dynamically

Lots of red....

Julie in the rv mirror
14 Sep 2015, 04:36
What does all this mean?
In simple terms, the dynamic range refers to the difference in loudness between the loudest parts of a recording and the softest parts. A larger range is better, because there's more variation in the sound. When people talk about compression in terms of audio recordings, it means that the range is reduced; quieter instruments are raised in volume to be equally as loud as the louder instruments. The result can be a muddied mess that can be fatiguing on the ears after awhile.

In recent years, the trend has been to master recordings using more dynamic compression (note the difference in score between Bat I and HCTB, for instance). One of the main reasons for this tendency is the way that people tend to listen to music these days; music that is more compressed and louder sounds "better" on cheap earbuds and computer speakers than less compressed music. But, you lose a lot of "space" in the music.

Might I ever care?
If you're happy with the way the music sounds, probably not. But more and more music listeners are starting to take notice and care about it.

CarylB
14 Sep 2015, 05:29
Yes you should care this is how each release sounds dynamically

Lots of red....

Like many I just put the disc in the player, lean back and listen to the music, and to Meat and the words. No should about it .. we all enjoy music the way that works for us.

Julie I read your explanation .. went over my head without ruffling my parting ;) For me it's about Meat's voice, the passion, the words .. one reason I have always adored Meat's albums is I can hear the words .. he is clear in diction .. and the words mean as much, arguably more than the music for me. So you're right .. I will never care ;)

Wario
14 Sep 2015, 07:52
Like many I just put the disc in the player, lean back and listen to the music, and to Meat and the words. No should about it .. we all enjoy music the way that works for us.

Julie I read your explanation .. went over my head without ruffling my parting ;) For me it's about Meat's voice, the passion, the words .. one reason I have always adored Meat's albums is I can hear the words .. he is clear in diction .. and the words mean as much, arguably more than the music for me. So you're right .. I will never care ;)

I get ta its just i am a sound but

Guess most people don't think like I do

rockfenris2005
14 Sep 2015, 19:26
Not sure if this is relevant or not, but "Cheatin' in your dreams" sounds very faint on the US version of BA.

Evil One
14 Sep 2015, 20:47
Cheatin' In Your Dreams is very poorly mixed on the US version of BA.

lorenzoduke
14 Sep 2015, 23:04
I guess some people don't care if the sound quality is crap at a concert either. If great performances aren't being heard with the clarity and range that they deserve due to poor mastering that's a shame however you look at it, I would think.

PanicLord
14 Sep 2015, 23:35
Sometimes variations in volume are part of the drama of a song... E. G. For Crying Out Loud, which goes from tender softness to storming crescendo.

Sometimes a song is in your face from start to finish e.g. Peace On Earth.

Either is fine. My point is, on its own, this information is of little use. You have to understand the context and reasons behind it to draw meaningful conclusions.

eltmatt
15 Sep 2015, 15:36
It is a shame, its probably the main reason I dont like the production on Hang Cool and Hell in a handbasket, everything sounds compressed.