https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=64&v=TppJMa8apkc
Meat Loaf is so much better doing this

Evil Ernie
22 Apr 2015, 05:06
So much for Steinman claiming this song was written only for a woman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=64&v=TppJMa8apkc

Jim was right IMO.

As much talent as ML and whoever this guy is have, it's a chick song.

I can sing a pretty good version of "I Will Always Love You", but I would still consider it a chick song. Same with all the ABBA, Faith Hill and Dixie Chicks I like to sing.

CarylB
22 Apr 2015, 12:09

Yes, and the video was amazing .. brought a whole new level of depth and poignancy to the song for me

Evil One
22 Apr 2015, 12:59
Meat Loaf's version would have been much better as a solo

GDW
22 Apr 2015, 14:17

I agree. It would have been better with some JS production.

Mr. Happy
22 Apr 2015, 14:50
Have to say I love Meat's version of It's All Coming Back To Me Now. I've never minded the Pandora's Box or Celine versions, but they've always felt exceptionally cheesy to me in a way that Jim's other songs don't. They're just very weepy and melodramatic and I don't think it's necessary. The Bat 3 adaptation sits just right with me because it removes all that, and on top of that it just makes an awesome duet. It would have been even better with Patti, but it's not like I have a problem with Marion, either.

Yes, and the video was amazing .. brought a whole new level of depth and poignancy to the song for me

I have to agree with this as well. One of Meat's better music videos.

Also, that video in the OP is awesome. When Jim himself comes out of the woodwork and tells you that, you know you've done well :-)

CarylB
22 Apr 2015, 15:26

I think the way Meat visioned it meant it worked exceptionally well as a duet. I would have enjoyed it equally as a solo in general, but as the story played out in the video I think the duet enhanced both the song and the story it conveyed

Evil One
22 Apr 2015, 17:27
Perhaps the album should have featured a solo rendition and then keep the single as a duet. The best of both worlds.

CarylB
22 Apr 2015, 17:40
I suspect that wasn't an option. The record company wanted to give Raven's career a push, wanted her on the album .. and it paid off for her in Norway where the single made No 1, and made the top 10 in UK and Germany. The music business is just that .. a business, and I'm sure a key reason they put effort into promoting the album was because they were promoting two artists.

I thought it made a great single .. and proved successful in the charts, and was perfectly happy to have the duet on the album

AndrewG
22 Apr 2015, 19:25
I suspect that wasn't an option. The record company wanted to give Raven's career a push, wanted her on the album .. and it paid off for her in Norway where the single made No 1, and made the top 10 in UK and Germany. The music business is just that .. a business, and I'm sure a key reason they put effort into promoting the album was because they were promoting two artists.

It was such nonsense to do this with something as sacred as Bat 3. As was the whole we need 3 duets thing and we need different singers thing.

I would have preferred the album to have been called The Monster is Loose without all the Steinman songs. The non Steinman stuff is great in my opinion and works far better and seems more coherent (Blind / Alive / What about Love all sound fresh and blend well together and Monster is a nice edgy starter). All the Steinman songs lack good dynamic piano driven production which his songs need and also daft business decisions were made on these tracks making them easily the specific songs I skip. Crazy.

CarylB
22 Apr 2015, 19:57
From my point of view, Meat is the man who has kept the Bat flying for nearly 40 years, so it was entirely appropriate to call it Bat 3. I loved all the songs. loved the album. The songs from other composers were great, and I was thrilled to get to hear him sing those Steinman songs he got for the album, particularly IACBTMN, BFG, Future and Seize the Night.

renegadeangel
22 Apr 2015, 21:34
From my point of view, Meat is the man who has kept the Bat flying for nearly 40 years, so it was entirely appropriate to call it Bat 3. I loved all the songs. loved the album. The songs from other composers were great, and I was thrilled to get to hear him sing those Steinman songs he got for the album, particularly IACBTMN, BFG, Future and Seize the Night.

This is very true as Meat has been a very faithful standard bearer for years. However I do think that Meat has been trying to recreate the success of the vocal duet on PARADISE on BAT.
I like the odd duet on an album but BAT3 was way too much.
IACBTMN would have been so much better as a solo, as the duet really took away from the emotion MEat out into it...

Wario
22 Apr 2015, 21:38
This is very true as Meat has been a very faithful standard bearer for years. However I do think that Meat has been trying to recreate the success of the vocal duet on PARADISE on BAT.
I like the odd duet on an album but BAT3 was way too much.
IACBTMN would have been so much better as a solo, as the duet really took away from the emotion MEat out into it...

Future should have been the only duet, what about Love wouldve been better on HIAHB

LucyK!
22 Apr 2015, 21:53
I can't stand Future on Bat III - it's an amazing song which I'd so looked forward to Meat doing, and it starts so wonderfully...then Jennifer Hudson starts...*skip button*

AndrewG
22 Apr 2015, 23:11
Future should have been the only duet, what about Love wouldve been better on HIAHB

http://media.mlxxfc.net/no-sign.gif

Guy
23 Apr 2015, 12:40
I can't stand Future on Bat III - it's an amazing song which I'd so looked forward to Meat doing, and it starts so wonderfully...then Jennifer Hudson starts...*skip button*

Jennifer 'warbler' Hudson. She loves a good warble.

tonyloaf
25 Apr 2015, 09:16
Wobble