PDA

View Full Version : More than one version of Storytellers DVD?

Evil One
20 Sep 2014, 16:25
For a mundane and irrelevant reason I have recently acquired a new Storytellers DVD to replace the one I no longer have and the new one seems to have the sound mixed differently.

I have mentioned several times that I thought the audio on the Storytellers DVD is bad, with everything mixed to one channel, and very little to the other. I know I'm not alone in this opinion:
Hi, I bought myself the storytellers DVD and just want to post my opinion. I think itīs very interessting, you see his site as a funny and entertaining guy. Most of all, when he explains "that" and of course the thing with Paradise. I heard it with stereo headphones, but i think that the sound is not so very good mixed. I was like Meat is just on the left ear and the audience just on the right. I will listen to it with my Dolby-headphones soon. Is there a difference?
However, on my new DVD the audio is much better. Backing vocals come out both the left and the right speaker :shock: and one side isn't twice as loud as the other :shock:. I may have been short-changing this DVD over the years.

My question is, when did this happen? As far as I was aware there was only one version of this DVD. Has it been quietly released without fanfare or does everyone else already have it and I'm late to the party?

lorenzoduke
21 Sep 2014, 02:38
Didn't it come out in the UK quite a bit after the US release? I know the CDs came out at the same time but for some reason I think the UK DVD was quite a few years after.

samurai7
21 Sep 2014, 03:42
Mine was always ok as far as I can remember. Quite liked the 5.1 mix as well.

samurai7
21 Sep 2014, 03:44
And to add: I bought it when it first came out. Cost me Ģ19.99 in HMV if I recall correctly.

samurai7
21 Sep 2014, 03:50
Another thought: perhaps you were listening to the stereo 'down-mix' of the 5.1 audio, and for whatever reason it was imbalanced. Try switching the audio to 2.0 on the dvd's menu. I usually watch through a home cinema system so always go for the multi channel mix if available, though on some things the stereo is better, for example the Freddie Mercury tribute concert DVD. The centre channel on that is such a low volume compared to the others that it forced me to go into my home cinema's setup and spend two or three songs fiddling about :roll:

Evil One
21 Sep 2014, 15:50
The new DVD sounds spiffy in both stereo and surround. I no longer have the old one, but I do remember ripping it in both 2.0 and 5.1 to see why it sounded so odd. The left stereo channel was considerably quieter than the right, as were the left front and rear.

This was uploaded to Youtube by someone other than me, and you'll notice that one side is louder than the other.

oOy03kfm-UM

Evil One
22 Sep 2014, 13:05
Here are three separate rips of the end of Bat Out Of Hell. The top one is off an old hard drive and is the 2.0 stereo from my old Storytellers DVD. The middle one is from the above Youtube video of someone else's DVD. The bottom one is the 2.0 stereo from my new DVD. You'll notice the right channel is louder than the left on my old DVD, and on the Youtube video. The audio is much more balanced on my new DVD.

http://media.mlxxfc.net/BOOH.jpg

TheDoode
22 Sep 2014, 13:50
You really need to get out more.

chairboys
22 Sep 2014, 16:24
You'll notice the right channel is louder than the left on my old DVD, and on the Youtube video. [/IMG]

yeah, that jumped off the page ;)

anotherday
22 Sep 2014, 19:58
The new DVD sounds spiffy in both stereo and surround. I no longer have the old one, but I do remember ripping it in both 2.0 and 5.1 to see why it sounded so odd. The left stereo channel was considerably quieter than the right, as were the left front and rear. This was uploaded to Youtube by someone other than me, and you'll notice that one side is louder than the other. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOy03kfm-UM">YouTube Link</a>

I BROKE the number one rule of the Internet...DONT read the COMMENTS.

Adje
24 Sep 2014, 18:33
Could it be a differense between the two below?

I have the bottom one (white cover) which doesn't seem to have any audio issues and was released in 2003. The other one had a DVD release in Dec 1999. Might be that the later release has fixed any errors on the original release?

http://media.mlxxfc.net/meatloaf-vh1-storytellers-dvd-3.gif.jpg

http://media.mlxxfc.net/Meat_Loaf-Vh1_Storytellers_(Dvd)-Caratula.jpg

Wario
25 Sep 2014, 02:53
I have the white evrison.

Still listen tot he Storytellers version fo Rock n Roll dreams to this day :)

Wario
25 Sep 2014, 02:54
I have the white verison.

Still listen tot he Storytellers version fo Rock n Roll dreams to this day :)

Evil One
25 Sep 2014, 10:38
Could it be a differense between the two below?
That was my initial theory, but both had the white cover. As a side note, the first cover is dreadful. :shock:

JennaG
25 Sep 2014, 22:42
As a side note, the first cover is dreadful. :shock:

I don't particularly like either of the covers to tell the truth but then again it was probably the style back then.

Evil One
26 Sep 2014, 12:08
I don't particularly like either of the covers to tell the truth but then again it was probably the style back then.
http://media.mlxxfc.net/24a5d3ea2df557425d90f7d5bff704dacd58daca1837aa8117bb066bc107836d.jpg