PDA

View Full Version : HOF discussion - Drummers

The Flying Mouse
28 Jan 2013, 21:52
:twisted: Here's your chance to have your say on why you think your favourites should be enducted to our hall of fame, or even why you think other nominees don't make the grade.

As always, please respect the opinions of others, even if you don't agree with them.

Your nominated Drummers are................

Jeff Campitella
Phil Collins
Tommy Lee
Neil Peart (2)
Mike Portnoy
Cozy Powell
Tico Torres (2)

Numbers in brackets indicate how many members (if more than one) have nominated this Drummer.

Julie in the rv mirror
29 Jan 2013, 07:07
Once again I need to do a little bit of research, but I've got to say that Neil Peart of Rush is hands-down the most amazing drummer I have ever seen. His style might be a bit much for a larger band, but I think it's just perfect for the trio. Normally, I get bored with drum solos after about a minute, but Neil's are the exception. He simply needs to be seen to be believed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkucr1jJpQ

Neil also writes most of the lyrics for Rush's songs, and has also published several books, as well as writes a pretty extensive blog.

Rush shows are pretty much the only place I've seen tons of people playing air drums, and Neil's the reason. :cool:

The Flying Mouse
29 Jan 2013, 21:08
:twisted: My knowledge of drummers isn't great :oops: but i've nominated Phil Collins for this.

The fact that he's a drummer who is also the lead singer is remarkable enough, but he's put down some beats that are legend.
In The Air Tonight. Who can fail to air drum on that song :lawl:

Also, he has the unique distinction of being the only person to play at both Live Aid concerts, playing in the UK and then flying immediatly to the US and straight on stage.

Paul Richardson
29 Jan 2013, 22:32
:twisted: My knowledge of drummers isn't great :oops: but i've nominated Phil Collins for this.

The fact that he's a drummer who is also the lead singer is remarkable enough, but he's put down some beats that are legend.
In The Air Tonight. Who can fail to air drum on that song :lawl:

Also, he has the unique distinction of being the only person to play at both Live Aid concerts, playing in the UK and then flying immediatly to the US and straight on stage.

But are you voting for him as a drummer or as a singer / songwriter ? maybe he's better at the latter rather than former, if so that's a completely different category ?! :twisted:

The Flying Mouse
29 Jan 2013, 22:38
But are you voting for him as a drummer or as a singer / songwriter ? maybe he's better at the latter rather than former, if so that's a completely different category ?! :twisted:

:twisted: Drummer.
I've mentioned he's a singer, but I thought i'd pretty much concentrated on his skill/achievements as a musician.

melon
30 Jan 2013, 02:41
Who's the dude with one arm? Did he get nominated?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner

suzieq
30 Jan 2013, 02:53
Who's the dude with one arm? Did he get nominated?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner

Rick Allen of Def Leppard. And I don't see that he made noms. Probably should have.

chairboys
02 Feb 2013, 14:17
Mike Portnoy for me.
The ex-Dream Theater drummer. Still can't believe he is the ex-Dream Theater drummer.
But that's rock n roll politics for you.
Anyway, DT are currently the number one prog rock/metal band on the planet and Portnoy was the main influence for their rise to the summit.
He was their leader and driving force and DT are one of those few bands where the drummer is "arguably" the star attraction.
Dream Theater are in my top five favourite outfits, so Portnoy deserves recognition for that alone.