PDA

View Full Version : HOF discussion Female vocals

The Flying Mouse
28 Jan 2013, 21:47
:twisted: Here's your chance to have your say on why you think your favourites should be enducted to our hall of fame, or even why you think other nominees don't make the grade.

As always, please respect the opinions of others, even if you don't agree with them.

Your nominated female vocalists are................

Adele
Pat Benatar (3)
Cilla Black
Kate Bush (2)
Belinda Carlisle
Cher (2)
Gloria Estefan
Feist
Lita Ford
Aretha Franklin
Lizzy Hale
Debbie Harry
Whitney Houston
Joan Jett
Janis Joplin (2)
Imelda May
Stevie Nicks (3)
Dolly Parton (3)
Bonnie Raitt
Carly Simon
Tina Turner
Shania Twain
Bonnie Tyler (5)
Hayley Williams

Numbers in brackets indicate how many members (if more than one) have nominated this singer.

The Flying Mouse
29 Jan 2013, 20:57
:twisted: I'm glad to see this category make a comeback. 8)
Last time around there were very few nominations for female singers or groups with a female lead singer, but adding the category has really made the difference here.

I'm backing Bonnie Tyler because she's f*cking awesome. :metal:

Dolly Parton is simply the best female country singer ever.

I've also thrown Cher's name into the hat. She's done enough great songs in her time to merit induction.

Kate Bush is a very inventive artist with a great and unique voice.

Belinda Carlisle, I just think her voice is great and she's recorded some great tracks.
What more do you need?

melon
30 Jan 2013, 02:42
I nominated a few, but really, Janis Joplin stands alone I think, there is no one like her.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Jan 2013, 04:46
I nominated two, Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon.

As I said the last time around, when I was a teenager, I wanted to be Stevie Nicks. I thought she was so pretty and cool, and I loved her voice. While there were several singers in Fleetwood Mac, I think Stevie is the one people most associate with the group. I give her props for her songwriting as well. One of my favorite performances of hers is this one (which features our friend Roy Bittan as well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWq25O2RbI

I've liked Carly Simon since I was a kid, but it's only as an adult that I can really appreciate many of her lyrics. Her voice is what I'd call "pure", and I think it's lovely. Her most well-known song is probably "You're So Vain", but she's had many other hits as well. One of my favorite songs of hers is "Touched By the Sun": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYtmfkhCqJo

I love Dolly Parton, not only as a singer, but a songwriter as well. I'm also a big fan of Cher- she would get my vote.