PDA

View Full Version : do you miss the over 8 minute Meat Loaf song?

Wario
26 Jul 2012, 17:23
we havent had one since Seize the Night, I was just wondering if there were any thoughts on the matter.

With the exception of POE, Love is Not Real, and Elvis in Vegas, nothing from the past two records exceeded 6 minutes.

In fact nothing on HIAHB exceeds the 5:40 range

any thoughts? :|

tonyloaf
26 Jul 2012, 18:36
Agree with you all the way! The meat loaf style , long and loud

The Flying Mouse
26 Jul 2012, 18:47
:twisted: Would be nice to hear a new epic.

Cherry.Loaf
26 Jul 2012, 22:14
I'd quite like a new 8 minute song but they usually seem to be more fantasy based where as hiahb and hctb sound more realistic? Does that make any sense to anyone but me ha ha

Evil One
26 Jul 2012, 22:32
Only if it's good. I don't want a crap 4 minute song stretched out to 8 minutes. :bleh:

LucyK!
27 Jul 2012, 00:37
Unless Jim writes it, no.

No-one is better than Jim at writing the long, epic pieces, and I think if Meat was presented with one now it woul be by someone trying to re-create the "Meat Loaf style" which isn't going to work.

wolfy35
27 Jul 2012, 00:57

No-one is better than Jim at writing the long, epic pieces, and I think if Meat was presented with one now it woul be by someone trying to re-create the "Meat Loaf style" which isn't going to work.

There are already some epic Steinman tracks that Meat has not either recorded or released so for me it would be if Jim could produce it as well, I can quite happily live without a long Steinman track that had been butchered like the ones Child did for TMIL

Mr. Happy
27 Jul 2012, 08:33

It wouldn't be an issue if that's the style he was going for. Would be a complete 180, but it'd work :lol: I think it CAN be done right without Jim, though. Couldn't Have Said It Better is a good example. You just need to have a writer that knows what they're doing. Sort of like James Michael :D

I'd rather have a song focus on quality rather than quantity (length). I don't need another 7 minute Monster is Loose, or an 8 minute Future Ain't What It Used To Be when it's a far, far cry from what it could be. I don't care if it's a long song, so long as it's a GOOD song. And likewise, I don't care if a song is an exceptionally short song (like Cry to Heaven). As long as it's a good song :D

With that said, when they're done right, long songs tend to have something that shorter songs don't. You couldn't squeeze Objects into three minutes, and that's arguably one of the best songs Meat Loaf has ever recorded AND it's THE longest (after Anything For Love) studio song. You couldn't do Anything For Love, Bat, Paradise or For Crying Out Loud in three minutes. Yet notice how these are Meat's best songs? ;)

Does that answer the question? :lol:

PanicLord
27 Jul 2012, 09:01
It would be great to have a brand new epic song but as others have said I'm more interested in the quality of song than its length. A top drawer Steinman track with quality production and Meat on fire? Hell yeah!

Elijah's way
27 Jul 2012, 13:33
Yes please!!!

James Michael, Rick Brantly and Nikki Sixx could easley write an 8 min epic song

GDW
27 Jul 2012, 17:39
Yes please!!!

James Michael, Rick Brantly and Nikki Sixx could easley write an 8 min epic song

They might be able to write it but they won't be able to arrange and produce it like Mr Jim Bob.:-):D:cool:

Dave
27 Jul 2012, 18:03
Not really. It is nice to hear a Meat Loaf song that does not have to repeat the same line over and over again.

GDW
27 Jul 2012, 18:11
At least it sticks in your head.

Dave
28 Jul 2012, 00:29
At least it sticks in your head.

But it still repeats over and over again...does not bring anything new to the party.

Evil One
28 Jul 2012, 14:13
Would Objects In The Rear View Mirror be the same without the repetition?

Wario
28 Jul 2012, 14:35
Would Objects In The Rear View Mirror be the same without the repetition?

It was cut down a tad on VBO and i never really noticed. I think its the one flaw of a flawless song.

Youre better off asking why Everything Louder took forever to fade out

Meat Loaf_fan
28 Jul 2012, 14:48
I'm happy with what Meat is doing in last 2 years. (HCTB is on 2-nd position, HIAH is on 3-rd position in my private ranking.) Of course Meat is famous from long songs, but to me is only matter if that songs are good. For example (from "Hang Cool Teddy Bear"): I love "Elvis In Vegas" :cool: and "Peace On Earth" :cool:, but on the other hand "Love Is Not Real" :nope: is the weakest song on the album (at least to me). How to sum up? Maybe in this way: Meat - please still be happy when you are giving to people so much enjoyment :-).

Wario
28 Jul 2012, 16:06
I'm happy with what Meat is doing in last 2 years. (HCTB is on 2-nd position, HIAH is on 3-rd position in my private ranking.) Of course Meat is famous from long songs, but to me is only matter if that songs are good. For example (from "Hang Cool Teddy Bear"): I love "Elvis In Vegas" :cool: and "Peace On Earth" :cool:, but on the other hand "Love Is Not Real" :nope: is the weakest song on the album (at least to me). How to sum up? Maybe in this way: Meat - please still be happy when you are giving to people so much enjoyment :-).

I am too (youre right about LINR, its pretty poor and filler in some regards). I just hope on either this winters possible Xmas album (which I wonder who all forgot about that?) or the next record we get an 8+ minute spectacle. Itd be nice to get an 8+ minute Xmas song XD

Meat Loaf_fan
28 Jul 2012, 16:35
I am too (youre right about LINR, its pretty poor and filler in some regards). I just hope on either this winters possible Xmas album (which I wonder who all forgot about that?) or the next record we get an 8+ minute spectacle. Itd be nice to get an 8+ minute Xmas song XD

"Hot Holidays"? With Reba McEntire (:heart::up:)? I would be more than happy.:-)

The Flying Mouse
28 Jul 2012, 17:05
:twisted: Love Is Not Real is one of the highlights of HCTB for me :shock:

Evil One
28 Jul 2012, 17:24
It was one of the lowlights for me. :bleh:

Adje
28 Jul 2012, 18:46

Which perfectly made it fit with the rest of the songs, for me :twisted:

The Flying Mouse
28 Jul 2012, 18:47

:twisted: Well you're wrong :p :lol:

samurai7
28 Jul 2012, 18:50
I personally thought it was one of the best on there too

(But the best song didn't make the final album)

CarylB
28 Jul 2012, 18:58
To be honest I don't have any issue with whether the song lasts 3 minutes or 15. If it's the kind of sing that benefits from being a longer song than the norm, great. If it doesn't, then I don't have any problem.

CHSIB and DIST were longer songs on CHSIB .. I loved them both. But I love Cry to Heaven and Blue sky, both short songs. It's the message, the lyrics, the music and Meat for me .. and whether that's delivered over 2 minutes or 12 minutes is immaterial. I love Meat's style since Rob Cavallo let him run exactly where he wanted. That would be the only thing I would not want to see reined in.

Caryl

The Flying Mouse
28 Jul 2012, 20:47
:twisted: Blue Sky needs to be longer, much much longer, it's amazing.

Benny
29 Jul 2012, 00:40

Agree :D

Benny
29 Jul 2012, 00:42
:twisted: Blue Sky needs to be longer, much much longer, it's amazing.

Agree again, your spot on pal! Love this song, and the sound! Very haunting and powerful