PDA

View Full Version : Patti And Meat

Gracie
06 Dec 2011, 18:35
I adore them both I think they have great chemistry and she's definately my favourite female singer.

What is it do you think thats so special about them? Number 1 for me is their talents.
Her perfromances are just incredible and meat is for me as good as a stage performer as Elvis was.

What is it that you like about these 2 very cool singers?
I remember watching them on the bat 2 picture show vhs tape and being completely in awe of what they were doing on stage they are to me Legends!
:D:Dhttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_X1IWXuEbgXI/TSpOyouEgDI/AAAAAAAAC78/I8Gx-VFFp2g/s640/patti+russo+meatloaf.jpg

DJLeen
06 Dec 2011, 19:32
Couldn't have said it better ! Patti is the perfect match for Meat on stage ! :)

CarylB
06 Dec 2011, 23:44
They're both theatrical performers par excellence, but most importantly they have worked together for so long they have an intuitive understanding on stage. Meat likes to ad lib, and Patti can match him every step. Aspen did brilliantly imo the tour she was with Meat. She had a great voice, a pretty good helping of theatricality herself, and grew into the role magnificently. But you can't beat years of working together closely, to that point where you are completely in tune with the other person. I'm sure there are singers who have as good a voice as Patti, have great stage presence .. but there's a spark between them that has developed over the years, and I think the fact that Meat knows she is his rock when he's on stage means he can relax more in the confidence that Patti will match him move for move, play for play, and taunt for taunt in Paradise ;)

Imo they have always had a perfect synchronicity which raises their strength and sway together on stage to the power of 10 :)

Caryl

Smithie
06 Dec 2011, 23:59
People always say it's because they have worked together for years, but Meat and Patti had that spark from the very beginning. Patti was only performing with Meat a few months when "The History of Meat Loaf" was filmed and look at how amazing their chemistry and performance was. It's just a once-in-a-lifetime thing that you find voices and personalities that match so well.

robgomm
07 Dec 2011, 00:07
As everyone said, they just seemed to hit it off straight away, they had a spark between them that just works. They seem to have a real close friendship and great respect and affection for one another. And as Caryl said Meat knows Patti is his rock. And like he said in that interview in Germany the other day he knows he can rely on her if he's having a bit of an off night. He knows Patti is probably the second most important thing in the show apart from himself, and he has the utmost appreciation for her.

I do hope she manages to do her own thing when Meat decides to call it a day. She is a rock legend that hasn't necessarily had the recognition she deserves. But then I don't think she's bothered about that because she's doing what she loves. With Meat and Patti and these kind of people it's not about the money, it's about enjoying what they're doing, and long may it continue.

glamourgirl
07 Dec 2011, 00:08
Aspen had a great voice, a pretty good helping of theatricality herself, and grew into the role magnificently. But you can't beat years of working together closely, to that point where you are completely in tune with the other person.
Patti, there's a spark between them that has developed over the years, and I think the fact that Meat knows she is his rock when he's on stage means he can relax more in the confidence that Patti will match him move for move, play for play, and taunt for taunt in Paradise ;)

Imo they have always had a perfect synchronicity which raises their strength and sway together on stage to the power of 10 :)

Caryl

Aspen's problem wasn't that she was new, it was her inability to improv and she didn't create a likeable character in Paradise, she portrayed a bratty cheerleader.

But Meat and Patti had something special since the beginning. They are a perfect pair.

glamourgirl
07 Dec 2011, 00:10
As everyone said, they just seemed to hit it off straight away, they had a spark between them that just works. They seem to have a real close friendship and great respect and affection for one another. And as Caryl said Meat knows Patti is his rock. And like he said in that interview in Germany the other day he knows he can rely on her if he's having a bit of an off night. He knows Patti is probably the second most important thing in the show apart from himself, and he has the utmost appreciation for her.

I do hope she manages to do her own thing when Meat decides to call it a day. She is a rock legend that hasn't necessarily had the recognition she deserves. But then I don't think she's bothered about that because she's doing what she loves. With Meat and Patti and these kind of people it's not about the money, it's about enjoying what they're doing, and long may it continue.

Very well said, Rob.

unbekannt
07 Dec 2011, 00:12
Very well said, Rob.
Absolutely! :up:

Cherry.Loaf
07 Dec 2011, 00:45
Aspen's problem wasn't that she was new, it was her inability to improv and she didn't create a likeable character in Paradise, she portrayed a bratty cheerleader.

But Meat and Patti had something special since the beginning. They are a perfect pair.

Completely agree with this plus I just didn't really like Aspens singing Paradise AFL I did quite like but imo no version comes close to Meat & Patti

CarylB
07 Dec 2011, 00:51

That's your view. Mine is that it would be hard to improvise when you are suddenly thrust into the role as she was. She grew into it imo, and I didn't find her "bratty" at all, and any cheerleader role was the one she was assigned, so it's not fair to level that as a criticism of her imo. My point was she had a great voice, developed considerable theatricality in a short time, but there wasn't the initial spark that Meat and Patti had, nor did she have long enough to develop towards a level of more intuitive response. She stepped into a role that fans had seen Patti in for years, met with a considerable level of resistance, yet pulled it off in a way that in any other circumstances, and without comparison to someone much loved and missed, was in my view pretty impressive and deserved recognition.

I agree absolutely that there was a spark between Meat and Patti from the start. Saw that on stage immediately. But also I have seen how they have grown together over the years, and developed their intuititive ability to play off each other year on year. I don't put this down solely to the length of time they have performed together; you can work with someone for years and not develop that total understanding. But they have the kind of rapport and understanding that does develop year on year rather than stand still, (indeed it would diminish them both to suggest it hasn't), so that has to play a part in my view.

Caryl

the meatpatti
07 Dec 2011, 05:22

:up: :D CHSIB :up: :D

Patti's voice and stage presence matches Meat's just perfectly - she never took any acting classes, but she's a real natural when it comes to acting and comedy. They hit it right from the start and through the years developed a perfect understanding of each other. They seem like soulmates. :D

Totally agree! Aspen has a good voice - but it didn't acomplish Meat's. They didn't match IMO. No doubt there are lots of great singers out there, who would match Meat's voice in a great way. As did Patti, Cher, Marion Raven, Lorraine Crosby. But Aspen just didn't. There was a talkshow Meat was in (don't remember, which one), and the female talkshow host performed a short Paradise version with Meat - and even she gave a better and more credible performance than Aspen did.
Then there's the age difference - their Paradise performance never seemed to be authentic - even when they tried to do the comedy approach. And Aspen's cheerleader seemed more than 'bratty' to me.
And they didn't seem to match physically as well. Patti is about the same height as Aspen, but during Paradise she never looked as small next to Meat, as Aspen did.

Meat & Patti are the perfect pair on stage :D

Nici
07 Dec 2011, 14:57
:up: :D CHSIB :up: :D

And they didn't seem to match physically as well. Patti is about the same height as Aspen, but during Paradise she never looked as small next to Meat, as Aspen did.

Meat & Patti are the perfect pair on stage :D

Totally agree on this, Patti was/is really tiny and small and I have never seen her being less than Meat Loaf and I think that is because she has such a big energy!:D

In my opinion Aspen never grew in her role as leading lady. Come on Patti didn't have any vocal training, no acting lessons, improvisation lessons she never had experience on a big stage and look how brilliant she was on "The history of Meat Loaf live"!!!! The chemistry was there from the start (well I didn't see her audition but hey LOL) something Aspen never had in my opinion again. Patti is just a Natural in singing, acting and improvisations and you all NEED that to sing with Meat Loaf. And like everyone has said she is his Rock on stage.

I saw Meat Loaf live 3 times in the 90's and I don't think I can get use to someone else then Patti next to Meat!!!!!!

But then again i am not objective because I am a Patti fan. :D:D:D

conclusion: it's a kind of magic (LOL)

Gracie
09 Dec 2011, 13:19
Interesting to hear ohter peoples views and takes on it. I have to say aspen brought something new to the meat loaf band and that was great I am guessing we just get used to various bands having the same members it's always hard being the newbie.
Apsen has agreat talent and she is completely different to Patti but difference is always good!
xxx

Smithie
09 Dec 2011, 18:08
difference is always good
xxx

Not always.;)
Aspen tried her best, but her voice was suited for pop-a/c music, not rock music. Meat's show is rock. Patti was made for the role.

Gracie
20 Dec 2011, 14:45
Fair enough lol :D

thanks for answering my questions! Keep Rockin'!!! :cool:

SueL
20 Dec 2011, 16:00

Adding my belated kudos for your comments, Rob. Right on point, imo. ;)