PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Moments in Songs

Julie in the rv mirror
28 Oct 2011, 01:31
I often read on here that people will pinpoint a specific moment during a song that they just love. I think it's cool that we have those moments, and I thought it might be fun to share some of them. :-)

I'll start off with a couple. One that I have always loved is during For Crying Out Loud; I absolutely love that instant where the opening piano pauses and the violins come in- chills! You all know what I'm talking about, so I'm not going to post a link. ;)

Similarly, though, there are several moments in Bruce Springsteen's "New York City Serenade" that I love. Here's a link to the album version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EooiBaW1BA

There's so much detail to hear in this song, which is why it's one of my favorites, but I'll just mention a few moments in particular:

The first spot is right where Bruce's acoustic guitar comes in and joins the piano (played here by David Sancious- Roy hadn't joined the band yet), particulary right around 2:03 where he starts strumming.

Another spot is the piano bit at 3:45 right after the line "So walk tall...". This is where the mellotron comes in as well.

The last minute or so to the end is great, too- I love the little humming bit Bruce does starting around 8:57 (yeah, it's a long song, lol). The closing piano notes of Another Day makes me think of the closing of this song.

One of my favorite concert moments ever was getting to see this song performed live at Madison Square Garden (fittingly, in New York City). I had a seat somewhat behind the stage, and I was so focused on Bruce that I at first failed to notice an entire live string section (instead of the mellotron :cool: ) on the stage. :oops: lol. In any case, it was amazing:

K5zrogkpIgM

Another favorite bit of mine is the last few seconds of Incident on 57th Street, where the piano sounds like a music box, before it segues perfectly into Rosalita:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmykPfwinA4

So, what are some of your favorite moments? :D

Sebastian.
28 Oct 2011, 01:54
Wow, I was actually thinking of posting the exact same thread!

Spooky. :shock:

I'll start with what I was going to post.

Meat Songs,

1. Rock N Roll Dreams, my favourite songs. My favourite version if when I saw Meat in 2010 on the HCTB tour. I just love the opening lines, "You can't run away for ever, but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start. You want to shut out the night, you want to shut down the sun, you want to shut away the pieces of a broken heart. I also love, "let the drummer tell your heart what to do" There's just so much emotion in the song. I also love the sound of the guitar at the end. Always my song choice if I'm feeling down.

2. Object in the Rear View Mirror may Appear closer that they are. From the piano, to the amazing guitar solo I love this song. My favourite part is, "She used her body just like a bandage, she used my body just like a wound I'll probably never know where she disappeared But I can see her rising up out of the back seat now". I just love the emotion. The whole song is one of those that is just so deep.

3. Anyhting for love, the intro, amazing. I love, "I know you can save me, no one else can save me now but you, as long as the stars are burning as long as the planets are turning". Always been a favourite.

4. Blind as a Bat. Love the repeating of the chorus at the end.

5. Not a dry eye, love the second verse and the chorus.

6. Another Day, I love the piano in the background. Also the "Sometimes I think I hear her laugh, It makes me think she's coming back, tell her we miss her, she's gone she's gone.." Also that chorus. :-(. Great song off the New album.

7. Bat. Just a great rocker, love, "Breaking out of my body and flying away... Like a Bat out of Hell!" As well as the Motorbike sounds.

There are more I'll post later! :-P

Other songs,

How to save a life the Fray. Just a great deep song. The way they used it in Scrubs was fantastic.

VbEkKa-W55s

Love the piano and they acoustic touch. Another tear jerker.

Bon Jovi's version of Hallelujah

RSJbYWPEaxw

Love this song anyway, but the violins really add to it.

Evanescnece - Hello

Ih61MJ72v1Y

I just love the piano and her voice.

Same goes for My Immortal,

n5LJWG-sQys

I love the chorus as well in this.

Again probably more I will post later!

Regards,

Sebastian

Rawhide22
28 Oct 2011, 02:20
meat loaf:)if god could talk:)the part where he says walk on:)
bob conrad:)just keep it up:)the part where he says :)he will break your heart just like you broke mine:)highway men:)committed to park view:)the part where he says:)i always feel fantastic there ain't nothing wrong with me:)and sam the sham:)little red riding hood:)the part where he says:)listen to me:)

Julie in the rv mirror
28 Oct 2011, 03:20
Wow, I was actually thinking of posting the exact same thread!

Spooky.

Whoa, cue the Twilight Zone theme. :lol:

Some great songs there- My Immortal is one of my favorites, as well. Amy Lee has a beautiful voice.

I love violins in a song, too (can you tell? lol). It totally makes this version on Racing in the Street for me (I'll add that I think the visuals here are stunning):

oEylfg0cicU

When I started this thread, I was actually thinking more of musical moments than lyrics, but that works, too. :-) I could go on and on with my favorite lyrics, and most of them would probably be Steinman or Springsteen, but I'll list a couple.

My number one is probably "I bet you've still got a trace of his love in your eyes, and you've still got his eyes on your mind".

From Bruce's For You, there's the line, "You could laugh and cry in a single sound".

From Racing... above, there's:

"She stares off alone into the night with the eyes of one who hates for just being born" and

"For all the shut down strangers and hot rod angels
Rumbling through this promised land
Tonight my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea
And wash these sins off our hands"

From The Promise

"When the promise is broken you go on living
But it steals something from down in your soul
Like when the truth is spoken and it don't make no difference
Something in your heart goes cold"

I could put the whole song here, really.

There's many more...

AndyK
28 Oct 2011, 10:25
Roy Bittan's piano solo in Racing In The Street gets me every time, in fact the whole outro piece is stunning!

Nv5vKY8XLtI

as did (how I hate using the past tense now) Clarence's sax solo in Jungleland.

-PTJHhUeAfc

Chose these vids as they're pro shot and if you really concentrate you might see a couple of people you know :))

As far as song intros the organ on Spirit In The Night is a goosebumps moment

FwHU-d_JIeo
(anyone recognise the name on the sign?) ;-)

When it comes to lyrical moments, the line

"Your life is one long emergency" from Springsteen's also "For You" makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Julie in the rv mirror
28 Oct 2011, 16:55
Roy Bittan's piano solo in Racing In The Street gets me every time, in fact the whole outro piece is stunning!

Absolutely- that's Roy's shining moment. And every time, it's just slightly different. :cool:

as did (how I hate using the past tense now) Clarence's sax solo in Jungleland.

Yep- (agree on the past tense :( ) so many great solos. Jungleland, Ties that Bind, Hearts of Stone, The Fever... and Drive all Night:

NktSOW3cemk

As far as song intros the organ on Spirit In The Night is a goosebumps moment

(anyone recognise the name on the sign?) ;-)

Man, his voice was rough there! It got better on the last U.S. leg. Looks like a blast, though. Did you get Sherry Darling? That one is on my wish list. :D

Seeing Bruce in the crowd like that reminds me of a certain time (speaking of favorite moments :wink:) when he came to ME. :shock:(That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :lol: )

k6hlgt298k8

Try as I might, I can't find my friends and myself in this video, but, trust me, somewhere around the 2:00 mark, I'm totally freaking out. (we're somewhere right behind him) :lol: He started to come into the crowd regularly after this, but this was the first show he did it, so it was totally unexpected. He walked along a ledge that's attached to the inside of the pit rail. Oh, and I can tell you what that shirt feels like. :mrgreen: Besides being soaking wet, even though it was only about 5 songs into the show. :-)

When it comes to lyrical moments, the line

"Your life is one long emergency" from Springsteen's also "For You" makes me laugh every time I hear it.

That line makes you laugh? I don't think For You is funny at all. The solo piano version, especially, I think is heartbreaking.

nxyo1bMQyEY

Come on guys, let's have some more! :D

duke knooby
29 Oct 2011, 00:43
if i may, i love how this song builds... my fave bit is 4min30 onwards :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNWTaqFexSk

and a spectacularly simple and beautiful rendition of hallelujah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwZM3MjpAmI

sometimes stripped down basic is better :D

AndyK
29 Oct 2011, 01:56
Man, his voice was rough there! It got better on the last U.S. leg. Looks like a blast, though. Did you get Sherry Darling? That one is on my wish list. :D

Yeah it was the second night of a two night run, not vocally brilliant, but high octane!

Oh, and I can tell you what that shirt feels like. :mrgreen: Besides being soaking wet, even though it was only about 5 songs into the show. :-)
Similar experience at Hyde Park, having to stop him from falling into the crowd!

That line makes you laugh? I don't think For You is funny at all. The solo piano version, especially, I think is heartbreaking.

Yeah it's the association that I have with the line that tickles me. The song is always in my favourite Springsteen songs list, heartwrenchingly wonderful!

Julie in the rv mirror
29 Oct 2011, 22:39
Similar experience at Hyde Park, having to stop him from falling into the crowd!

Cool! :cool: lol He was flat-out crowd-surfing by the end of the tour. :-) They had put a platform in the back of the pit (I was there this night, too, right near one of the corners of the platform):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TpDMtmtw0M

One of the things I love about Bruce is how he often changes up his songs when he does them live versus the album versions. I think it was cool how he sometimes put a bit of Apache in the Outlaw Pete intro, and I LOVED the "train whistle" (WHOO, WHOO!) during Johnny 99:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ6-V0ZITJI

Although, the lyrics don't really go with the rocking arrangement in that song.

I think one of the best re-do's he's ever done is the Magic Tour version of Reason to Believe- that kicked ass!: :cool:

piMODx-_KYk

The song is always in my favourite Springsteen songs list, heartwrenchingly wonderful!

I think his most heart-wrenching song is this one: :(

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb1tlc_youre-missing-solo-bruce-springstee_music

if i may, i love how this song builds... my fave bit is 4min30 onwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNWTaqFexSk

and a spectacularly simple and beautiful rendition of hallelujah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwZM3MjpAmI

sometimes stripped down basic is better

Thanks for those, duke- those are great! :cool: Hallelujah is such a gorgeous song; I think I read somewhere that Cohen wrote something like 80 versus for it! :shock: I agree about stripped-down sometimes being better.

Well, it seems like this thread has gone all over the place from album songs, to lyrics, to concert moments...but, it's all good, so let's get some more! :D

AndyK
29 Oct 2011, 23:58
One of the things I love about Bruce is how he often changes up his songs when he does them live versus the album versions. I think it was cool how he sometimes put a bit of Apache in the Outlaw Pete intro, and I LOVED the "train whistle" (WHOO, WHOO!) during Johnny 99:

Although, the lyrics don't really go with the rocking arrangement in that song.

Yeah absolutely loved the rocked up Johnny 99 ... was great hearing the E Street Train develop from the "whoo whoo" up to Hyde park to the full blown train effect in Glasgow and thereafter.

the train segment only from Dublin

n2PuBVjU8so

Or the whole song

4lqaAfLzs_M

I think one of the best re-do's he's ever done is the Magic Tour version of Reason to Believe- that kicked ass!: :cool:

Oh yes ... that version alone concreted my man crush forever!

Ollie241189
30 Oct 2011, 02:37
For me For Cryin Out Loud when it goes from piano and voice to everything kicking in. Objects at the end again when everything kicks in while meat is singing. And god only knows a ton more!!! Will post more soon

Julie in the rv mirror
31 Oct 2011, 22:12
Yeah absolutely loved the rocked up Johnny 99 ... was great hearing the E Street Train develop from the "whoo whoo" up to Hyde park to the full blown train effect in Glasgow and thereafter.

That's so cool! :D Although, I still don't know what the train has to do with the rest of that song, but it was fun, nonetheless. Bruce does seem to like his train metaphors; I'm really glad he brought back Land of Hope and Dreams, at least in the beginning of the tour.

@Ollie: Yep, FCOL is just chock full of great moments for me, as well. Objects, too, especially the LATW version with Jim Steinman on piano.

Come on guys- somebody must have more songs to post! :D

evil nickname
31 Oct 2011, 23:03
Stärker als wir sind (www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4JbmoFyPk) from Tanz der Vampire: the whole songs is one long build up, layer over layer of vocals. Near the end, Sarah, the female lead sings a counterpoint melody. Her very last line is doubled, from out of nowhere, by the booming voice of Graf Von Krolock, "Was uns befreit / Das muss stärker sein als wir es sind...." Goosebumps. Every. Damned. Time.

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Nov 2011, 03:02
Stärker als wir sind (www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb4JbmoFyPk) from Tanz der Vampire: the whole songs is one long build up, layer over layer of vocals. Near the end, Sarah, the female lead sings a counterpoint melody. Her very last line is doubled, from out of nowhere, by the booming voice of Graf Von Krolock, "Was uns befreit / Das muss stärker sein als wir es sind...." Goosebumps. Every. Damned. Time.

Very cool! :cool: What do the lyrics mean?

evil nickname
01 Nov 2011, 06:29
That one line is "What makes us free / That must be stronger than we are".

It's a prayer. A quick and dirty translation of the whole thing (http://mljs.evilnickname.org/jimsteinman/tdv/tanzdervampire-10jahre.html#draussenistfreiheit):

When music confuses the heart
And desire goes dancing
When the soul loses its way
Then only a prayer will help

God, protect us from the horror
The temptation that tempts us
Let us not stare into the deep
The abyss touches us

God protect us from the urge
To do forbidden things
Let the desire for destruction
Rest in the deepest depths of the soul

And forgive us our desire
For the dark and the night
Let us not lose your way
When the animal wakes inside of us

God save us from the yearning
To want more than we should have
And block our flight
When desire overcomes us

Sarah (simultaneously):
What sets me free / That must be stronger than I am

God save us from the yearning
To want more than we should have
And block our flight
When desire overcomes us

Sarah (simultaneously):
It carries me far / Because it is stronger than I am

God protect us from our wishes
Make us to temptation blind
Give us strength not to be weak
Make us stronger than we are ....

From Sarah & Krolock (simultaneously):
What sets us free / That must be stronger than we are ....

Julie in the rv mirror
07 Nov 2011, 07:57
OK, I've got a new one. :D

It's the moment I realized what song he was singing. :shock: lol

First time he played it solo acoustic...

AQJqhsELie4

Wario
11 Nov 2011, 18:47
My favorite moment in music wil lalways be that riff at the end of the live evrsion of RRD. just pure awesomeness

Sebastian.
11 Nov 2011, 18:50
My favorite moment in music wil lalways be that riff at the end of the live evrsion of RRD. just pure awesomeness

+1

chairboys
12 Nov 2011, 17:31

yep, definitely a highlight!

unbekannt
12 Nov 2011, 17:44
I've seen it live so many times, but it always gives me goosebumps!
We sang it at the last show in Berlin (with different lyrics), I so had to cry while singing it…
mill_X8gs4M

Sarge
12 Nov 2011, 19:53
We sang it at the last show in Berlin (with different lyrics), I so had to cry while singing it…

That was nice. :-) I'm surprised by how well the audience is singing. Whose idea was it to thank the cast that way and who organized that? I watched the performance the day before, as far as I recall. Outstanding singing and acting.

unbekannt
12 Nov 2011, 21:08
It was organized by the German TdV fan club, but I can't remember if it was their or the fan's idea. The fan club handed the lyrics out at the beginning of the show.

http://musicals.paperhearts.de/img/derniere/abschiedssong.jpg

BTW: I watched the perfomance the day before, as well. I was there the whole weekend. Aaahh, what nice memories… :-)

Sarge
12 Nov 2011, 22:54
Thanks for posting the lyrics, unbekannt, I especially like the third verse. Not only in this context it's nice to see that the musical is currently back in Berlin. :D

Here are some of my favorite moments. Since Bruce has already been mentioned several times, I'm trying to contribute some other artists.

Elton John - Amoreena: I like the drums and the way Elton sings "and when it rains, the rain falls down". The footage is from one of my favorite movies, Dog Day Afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyjIMrFlpw

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale. The organ - do I have to say more?

Mb3iPP-tHdA

Rory Gallagher playing Philby on an electric sitar. The intro and the solos are remarkable:

jR3ol1dGC7c

Julie in the rv mirror
13 Nov 2011, 03:40
Elton John - Amoreena: I like the drums and the way Elton sings "and when it rains, the rain falls down". The footage is from one of my favorite movies, Dog Day Afternoon.

Nice. :-) Some of that early stuff is fantastic. I love the harp intro on Sixty Years On:

pYhkwQAgenU

I think some of Bernie's lyrics are great, too. I always liked,

"Now I know
Spanish Harlem are not just pretty words to say
I thought I knew
But now I know that rose trees never grow in New York City"

And the line, "Is the nightmare really black, or are the windows painted?" just gives me chills.

Rory Gallagher playing Philby on an electric sitar. The intro and the solos are remarkable:

That's really cool- I didn't know that such a thing existed. :cool: