PDA

View Full Version : The difference between Voice and Performance

Wario
06 Oct 2011, 16:05
I'm sick of ignorant people saying "Meat's performance sucks now cause its not 1987 anymore".

How so?

Did he not get the audience involved?

Was he not having fun?

Was his heart not on his sleeve?

Just because Meat may sound a bit "flat" or"out of Tune" sometimes DOES NOT mean his PERFORMANCE isnt top notch.

Its no secret Meat sounded much better in 1987, but he performs and has so much more charisma today.

You have to ask yourself:

Do you go see someone perform or hear them sing?

PERFORMING a song is different then Singing one.

before you criticize meat's performance, take into account the fun and atmosphere of the night. He's not there to hit all the B flats.

Sick of people saying meat's performance sucks without telling us why besides the fact hes not 40 anymore.

Nexttime when any of you nay-sayers critisize his performance take into account:

HIS CHARISMA
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION
ATMOSPHERE
LIGHTING
STAGING
SWEAT THAT'S BEING PERPETRATED
and IF HES HAVING A BLAST

Sebastian.
06 Oct 2011, 16:33
Good post Wario, damn good post.

I wasn't a super fan of Meat's last year. I liked his songs but I never tried to get into his songs (I regret that now!). My Mum is a fan and last year she was in hospital, so as a present I decided to get her some tickets for the HCTB tour. I had high expectations of what Meat would be like. They were blown out of the water. It was the best show I had ever seen. The lighting was just phenomenal, his voice was great IMHO, he had such a great stage presence that it was the most fun I had, had in a while (I was going through a pretty rough time). He had everyone in that arena in the palm of his hand, he was having so much fun as well. I had always wanted to see Anything for love live. When Justin started his solo I had a feeling it was coming, and the light coming on in time with the guitar was just amazing I longed for more after he went off after DRFL. The only thing that disappointed me was that I would have to wait to see him again. When I got home I purchased all the CD's I could. Meat has always rocked, he always will do. You can't judge a show from a bootleg. It's like videos of rollercoasters, you can't get the full experience. You HAVE to be there.

snider22
06 Oct 2011, 16:54
Best post I have seen in quite a while. Cudos to Wario for bringing it to the table, I completely agree.

robgomm
06 Oct 2011, 17:31
Awesome awesome post Wario. In fact the best post I have ever seen on this forum.

AndyK
06 Oct 2011, 17:37
Please no more personal insults or attacks.

robgomm
06 Oct 2011, 17:42
I apologise Andy, just makes me mad when people post such rubbish. I know there are opinions that I can respectfully disagree with, but then there are just complete rubbish which is different.

The Flying Mouse
06 Oct 2011, 18:12
I apologise Andy, just makes me mad when people post such rubbish. I know there are opinions that I can respectfully disagree with, but then there are just complete rubbish which is different.

:twisted: Keep on the subject please.

To say somebodys opinion is rubbish is insulting.
Disagree with the idea, don't disrespect the poster.

wolfy35
06 Oct 2011, 18:32
We all know that Meat's voice has changed that is natural and yes maybe he has lost some of the ability to hit the high notes but on the flip side of that he has gained a depth & clarity that he did not have in his earlier years.

Most importantly Meat gives everything he has when he is on stage he is never satisfied not only with himself but the experience he gives his fans. How many times has Meat said here & elsewhere that he will never cease looking for that "perfect" show.

How many other Groups or individuals put on shows like Meat? Very few because to do that needs real talent & dedication something that too many people in the music industry do not have. Too many people only care what financial rewards the music industry can give them, A true star like Meat ( sorry Meat I know you have said you still dont consider yourself one but you are ) is about so much more as we saw so graphically through "In search of paradise" .

Vickip
06 Oct 2011, 18:35
Great post Wario.
But I disagree about one thing ... I wouldn't say he sounded much better in 1987. IMHO he sounds better now than he has in the past ... or a better way to say it is that I prefer the way he sounds now because of the maturity in his voice :-)

Vickip
06 Oct 2011, 18:36
We all know that Meat's voice has changed that is natural and yes maybe he has lost some of the ability to hit the high notes but on the flip side of that he has gained a depth & clarity that he did not have in his earlier years.

Most importantly Meat gives everything he has when he is on stage he is never satisfied not only with himself but the experience he gives his fans. How many times has Meat said here & elsewhere that he will never cease looking for that "perfect" show.

How many other Groups or individuals put on shows like Meat? Very few because to do that needs real talent & dedication something that too many people in the music industry do not have. Too many people only care what financial rewards the music industry can give them, A true star like Meat ( sorry Meat I know you have said you still dont consider yourself one but you are ) is about so much more as we saw so graphically through "In search of paradise" .

:up:

stretch37
06 Oct 2011, 18:49
Meats performance is definitely amazing, and unique in the industry. No one compares.

however, i have to say, I love his voice just the same. No, he cant hit some of the notes he could in the MSO dvd......Or maybe he just chooses not to? back in 2002-2004, he seemed to go for those super high notes a lot, but then the rest of the song would suffer a bit. Now, we still get awesome huge notes, but the rest of the song is just as passionate. To me, that is better :) :)

2005-2008 we saw that huge issue with Bat 3, and the HOTD tour before bat 3, and then casa de carne. Meat sounds WAY better now than back then, his voice is consistently stronger and its better able to handle touring.

At 64, he's improved a lot since he was 58, and that is proof that age is just a number! I think as his life becomes more positive and he enjoys touring and putting out albums that are his creative genius with his wonderful band, we'll continue to see him push the envelope and defy this stupid age barrier journalists and news reporters igorantly keep referring to.

Evil One
06 Oct 2011, 18:51
Great post Wario.
But I disagree about one thing ... I wouldn't say he sounded much better in 1987. IMHO he sounds better now than he has in the past ... or a better way to say it is that I prefer the way he sounds now because of the maturity in his voice :-)I think the sound of his voice is better now, but the actual singing was better then. :twisted:

stretch37
06 Oct 2011, 19:13
I didn't like the 1987 sound, i much prefer CHSIB era....For those beautifully clear huge notes and his voice seemed to be able to just giv'er !!

I have to say though, he sings more passionately now, and the detail throughout the entire song, high and low notes, is much more in-depth than CHSIB vocals, where i think he could reach those high notes, so he went for them as much as possible, focused on them more.

So his current sound to me is a fantastic sound, I don't think its better or worse than previous years, i think its just as amazing, and I love it. Cant wait to get to some 2012 shows.

szakal88
06 Oct 2011, 19:44
For me it's simple. If you want to go to the show and see the real live performance you'll go to the Meat's show which is called "concert" (of course there are others good artist whose also give a good live performance. But most of the people goes to the shows which is called concerts and sees artrist thats shaniking thier asses and lip synicins from tapes. It's immposible to Meat and many other artist to sound live just like on the record, specialy 30 years later.

The Flying Mouse
06 Oct 2011, 20:04
:twisted: I can't remember what interview it was (I believe it was on/in something around 93/94) when Meat said "sound's not everything".
I agree with that 8)
That's why I still find there is a lot to like in the MIA release, Meat Loaf Live, and even the Dortmund show.

LucyK!
06 Oct 2011, 20:07
I guess it depends on what you want/expect from a show...

For me, Meat's performances are second to none. I find his presence completely overwhelming, I love his commitment to each and every song, his interactions with the audience, his passion, his humour, everything. Are those performances note perfect? Absolutely not, but it doesn't matter because the performance as a whole (including the voice) I love.

However (and before anyone attempts to kill me here I'm saying this about any artist, not just Meat)...the voice is a massive part of it, and whilst I don't expect a note-perfect vocal in a performance, I do expect a certain level of accuracy, and when that line is crossed, it can - for me - take away from the performance.

If I wanted a note-perfect vocal then I wouldn't see live shows, I'd stay at home with the albums and save myself a hell of a lot of time and money, but I don't, I want a performance so I see live shows. But I do expect a very high standard of vocals, and with me it gets to a point where it doesn't matter how much performing the artist does, the fact of the matter is that it's out of tune.

Be it Meat, Springsteen, anyone...these are professional vocalists and I expect a professional vocal when I pay to see them. If you want to pay upwards of £50 a ticket to listen to someone crucify songs then please, I invite you all to come and see me on stage instead!

I guess what I'm saying is no, the vocal is not more important than the overall performance, but it's a bloody big part of it!! ;)

CarylB
06 Oct 2011, 20:22
I can’t do better than echo what I said earlier today on another thread where someone was comparing a clip from the opening show in Australia with one from the 93 video. So often people only listen to a clip and make sweeping judgements based in large part on what they hear, that judgement being solely on a voice.

Meat is a gifted performer rather than simply a singer, and it is as facile to expect him to sound the same year after year, as it would be to expect him to perform the same. Many of his critics make their judgements based on such clips, but those of us who have been fortunate enough to see Meat on the Hang Cool tour have pretty unanimously agreed with him that he's giving some of his best vocal performances in years, plus when he’s performing live, with such passion and in the zone he is more than simply a voice, and he is giving some of his best performances ever now imo based on the wealth of stagecraft he has developed. That’s what you do when you’re superbly good at something .. Just as your voice shifts, mellows and changes, so your skill in performance augments year on year.

I'm sorry some have to see and hear Meat's shows vicariously via bootleg recordings on YT. But they don't do him justice at all, nor do they do his vocals justice imo. Like others, I have seen and heard him give some of the best performances of his life in the last year or so. Never his elusive "perfect" show, which is probably a good thing as he'd probably hang up his touring trousers if he ever achieved it ;)

But see a whole show, live, and most would agree I think that we've seen and heard some stunning performances, and look forward with huge anticipation to seeing him again.

A live performance by Meat is more than something to listen to. You need to see it as well, and ideally experience it. The passion that hits the audience in the eyes from the expressive hands, the intensity that makes his whole body quiver, the sheer angst or exultation in his voice and expression, is all part of the delivery. You don't get that from a studio recording, but it's what makes Meat's shows electrifying in an entirely different way. You don’t really see that if you're not at a show, and some don't seem to be able to see that when they watch a YT clip. Meat's shows are a total performance, and imo you cannot do it justice if you only listen.

Whist people can and do try to compare how he sounds at different times in his career, it makes no sense in my view to do so. Voices mature and change, and even if you have the same range, you will still sound different.

I think Meat is vocally very strong now. I’m sure he’d be the first to admit he sometimes doesn’t hit a note here and there, but that’s not something that’s new .. It’s always been the case when he’s in the zone, living and breathing the song and performing it with such intensity. I agree with Lucy that the vocals are a significant part of the overall performance, however I have never been to a show where Meat's were not up to making the whole performance a great experience for me. Even during the tour which led up to the vocal cyst being diagnosed he gave damn good shows. And since that has healed he has come back stronger vocally than he's been for years. And if he misses hitting the odd note in the way he wants .. there are a few hundred thousand that night he DOES hit, on the nose, and they're always more than sufficient for me ;)

And whilst I loved how he sounded at my first show, (which wasn’t identical to the studio BOOH I might add, but as a performance was even better) I love his present more mature voice equally, and it's certainly more than sufficient to give the vocal aspect of his overall performance what it needs to make for an incredible show imo that few others can match.

Caryl

Wario
06 Oct 2011, 20:28
as much as im glad everyone's embrasing what ive said for the most part, I just cant comprehend preferring the voice of today to the one in 1987-1993.

As I said before the voice and performance are two seperate things, but I am surprised a good chunk of us prefer his voice now to what it was in 1987 :shrug:

To his her own.

robgomm
06 Oct 2011, 22:08
as much as im glad everyone's embrasing what ive said for the most part, I just cant comprehend preferring the voice of today to the one in 1987-1993.

As I said before the voice and performance are two seperate things, but I am surprised a good chunk of us prefer his voice now to what it was in 1987 :shrug:

To his her own.

I love all of Meats different voices from over the years, if I had to pick a favourite it would be between 1993 and 2003. I loved his voice in the CHSIB era, but equally as much the Bat 2/WTTN era. And I do like his voice of now.

Paul Richardson
06 Oct 2011, 23:37
I just cant comprehend preferring the voice of today to the one in 1987-1993.

I agree, his voice from the mid 80s to the mid 90s was phenomenal. Its the reason why I'm a fan.

Julie in the rv mirror
06 Oct 2011, 23:40
However (and before anyone attempts to kill me here I'm saying this about any artist, not just Meat)...the voice is a massive part of it, and whilst I don't expect a note-perfect vocal in a performance, I do expect a certain level of accuracy, and when that line is crossed, it can - for me - take away from the performance.

If I wanted a note-perfect vocal then I wouldn't see live shows, I'd stay at home with the albums and save myself a hell of a lot of time and money, but I don't, I want a performance so I see live shows. But I do expect a very high standard of vocals, and with me it gets to a point where it doesn't matter how much performing the artist does, the fact of the matter is that it's out of tune.

Be it Meat, Springsteen, anyone...these are professional vocalists and I expect a professional vocal when I pay to see them. If you want to pay upwards of £50 a ticket to listen to someone crucify songs then please, I invite you all to come and see me on stage instead!

I guess what I'm saying is no, the vocal is not more important than the overall performance, but it's a bloody big part of it!! ;)

Nice post, Lucy! :up: I pretty much agree with all that you've said here. I don't expect a note-perfect performance either, and truthfully, I wouldn't be able to technically say if somebody sang flat, or off-key as I'm not a a musician, but I can say what sounds good to my ear and what doesn't. And, since a concert is at the basis of it a musical performance, if the voice isn't mostly there, it detracts for me. On the flip side, I have seen artists who don't move around much onstage or interact with the audience much (e.g. Elton John), yet were musically excellent (and Elton can't hit the high notes anymore), and I enjoyed the shows immensely.

In terms of people saying they didn't like Meat's performance because he doesn't sound the same as (insert any year), sure, there may be some people who do that. But, as Sarge has said in another thread, there are many people who just expect a good performance NOW. If I'm at a concert tonight, does it really matter to me how the artist (and I mean ANY artist) sounded 10 years ago, or even last week? No, not really.

carole
07 Oct 2011, 00:16
Great post Wario.
But I disagree about one thing ... I wouldn't say he sounded much better in 1987. IMHO he sounds better now than he has in the past ... or a better way to say it is that I prefer the way he sounds now because of the maturity in his voice :-)

Same here Vicki, I prefer how Meat's voice sounds now too, I love the maturity of his voice now. But I agree, Wario hits the nail on the head with his post. It's the whole 'experience' of a live performance. Meat doesn't just put on a concert, like most other artists, he puts on a show. I don't see the point nitpicking if he misses the odd note here and there or sings a bit flat a couple of times. Who cares or even notices. It's the atmosphere and his charisma. Meat has a stage presence that draws you in.

Carole

suzieq
07 Oct 2011, 05:40
Regarding Meat's singing voice and the era in which people prefer it. I don't get why the comparison anyway....Meat's voice has went through evolution through his career, some natural and some surgical. It is, what it is! Which I think is perfectly fabulous. He works hard on the technical things to make his voice sound great for the fans at the shows.

People may prefer an era over another....but what are the chances of him being able to go back to that particular sound? Shouldn't you accept that evolution has happened? Shouldn't people be happy that other fans think he sounds great right now? Just maybe it's other people's favorite era.

He has learned a lot about his voice but not only does he learn it.....he applies it. The voice becomes the performance. He had described it in the past as keeping the tension between him and the listener just so taught. He's gotten very very very crafty at doing just that, I consider him a master at it. He understands it, breathes it and feels it at every show....another reason why EVERY show I go to feels like a different experience.

Regarding more than just the voice:

I'm not a likely candidate to hear an off key or a botched note. I know the songs well, I sing along (if anyone is guilty of being off key...it is ME), I'm entertained above and beyond ALWAYS, and I'm usually with fantastic company. I'm at a Meat Loaf Show and he takes me away from my workaholic self, all my parental worries, all my responsibilities that I take super seriously....as I unwind, destress, recharge my mental batteries, have a great laugh, and dork out like a fangirl for 2 hours plus. HE must be doing a whole lot of things right!!!

Suzieq

juniper
07 Oct 2011, 07:21
The thing is Wario, I wish you would tell us how you really feel. Don't mince words! :D

And, maybe, just maybe some people don't like to see "aging" (and I quote that because it's a media used word), rock stars on tour. Period. Too much of a reminder that they themselves are too old and sitting at home on the sofa when someone else, 64, is out there (yes, working) but also seemingly having the time of his life. I do somewhat laugh at that because touring is no picnic, it's work. But the perception to some people is that it's a grand ol time and they are wishing they were out there having fun, traveling the world, still ROCKING, when they've long since forgotten how. :roll:

White of High
07 Oct 2011, 10:29
So... I agree there is difference between performance and singing. Meat was great in both in the 80ies and 90ies. We know it. But, how can you do a great performance without good voice if you are a SINGER???

The AFL Grand Final was only performance and not singing, or wasn't? Meat didn't find any notes, he was out of tune and key. That was the worst singing ever. He performed but that was - and the writer of the review was right in this - over-emoting. I would call it ham or kitsch what lot of performer does in his late ages. It's like Mick Jagger when he takes his dress of and scrawling half-naked on stage and he is almost 70 years old. No, please, you are not 25 anymore, don't do that, nobody cares about your old body...

Back to Meat... Meat is 64 and it's weird to see when he still wants to be a rock hero and sex god on stage. He is a grandfather who has almost lost his voice entirely. And he wants to replace it with his over-emoting, overfilled performance.

I have never been on any concert because of geographical reasons, so youtube is the only way to see him on stage. I have the 3Bats Live DVD, the Melbourne Symphonic Orchestra concert, some bootlegs from the last 10 years and I have to say... Meat's voice is weaker and weaker every year and his performance is stronger and stronger. Beacuase he wants to replace his voice with over-acting, over-emoting plays. That's my opinion...

CarylB
07 Oct 2011, 11:08
And I have no interest whatsoever in "fighting" :roll:

I's prepared to discuss, but frankly when the other side is making bald statements like "Meat didn't find any notes, he was out of tune and key" there's little room for debate. It's as over-exaggerated as if I were to say "Meat's perfect, and never misses a note" .. something you'll not find I have done.

I think it's clear you no longer consider Meat should be doing tours. Many of us do. I am really sorry that you have never seen a show. My view is that it's almost impossible to judge Meat's live performance from YT clips. Yesterday you compared a clip from a professionally made video with one from a hand-held phone with audience shrieking the sound in the foreground. Apples and oranges.

I find your comment "Meat is 64 and it's weird to see when he still wants to be a rock hero and sex god on stage. He is a grandfather who has almost lost his voice entirely. And he wants to replace it with his over-emoting, overfilled performance." really bizarre. I have no idea what "being a grandfather" has to do with anything at all. Many achieve that in their 40s, an age when Meat was even according to you performing brilliantly. Your judgement (and interestingly that of one bad review posted here since your comparison yesterday) that he "over-emotes" is one I disagree with also.

As t why he continues to perform on stage .. in my view because he still has fire in his belly, creativity in his head; a drive to perform and entertain and a million ideas whirling, and most of all because he still has fans who want to see and hear him, who pack the arenas, and whose lives are made special for one night when they attend.

You live in Hungary? Like Netty I think. You have not been able to see any live shows. Those of us who have during the past three years simply say Meat is singing better than he has for a decade, and is giving a terrific vocal performance that makes us want to see him again as soon as he can arrange it. Go and see his FB page and you will see comment after comment from fans in Australia who have been to their concerts and are saying essentially the same. To see a show is to speak from greater strength than from simply watching a bootleg .. sorry but that's the case in my view.

I'm not sure who you're trying to convince here that Meat should retire, nor why really. I do not agree, I think the majority here don't either, but that's your view and you've expressed it, as have I mine. And until you have the experience of a live show to argue from I don't think I can offer any more to a discussion with you.

Caryl

juniper
07 Oct 2011, 11:31
I think I've heard Meat say he is an actor/performer first and singer second, does that take away from his singing? No. Does his age take away from his performing? No. The performance and singing may and will change over time, just like he's a grandfather now, how does that really change his singing or performance? People change over time, typically audiences change with the artist that they have grown up with or just discovered. As much as we may like to freeze time and freeze our favorite actors and singers/performers, they are going to age and does that mean they should stop working or performing? Steve Jobs said he would keep working until he couldn't work anymore. So he tendered his resignation not long before he died. What if he had been made to get off stage because somone thought he should be booted out, what about cause he was over 50? Over 40? Where is the line drawn? As long as M feels he can perform and sing, then he should do so, and he can say when he wants to stop or the audience if they stop buying tickets. But, based on his sold out shows, that's not in this tour season, or probably anytime soon (thank goodness!) :cool:

White of High
07 Oct 2011, 11:34
In the last 10 years I became a collector and I couldn't call me fan, because i'm not a fan of the last 10 years of his career. In 2003 I waited CHSIB as hell and I was disappointed. I thought Meat should have returned to Jim and I was impressed to hear Bat3. I didn't like it at all but I think it's still his best in the last 10 years, it's just not a Bat album. HCTB is not my taste and I think Meat's voice is weird on it. Now here is HIAHB, sure, I'm gonna buy it and I'm gonna go a concert if he will be close to Hungary, like Vienna or even Munich. He won't have concerts in these cities, I'm sure.

I don't want him retire I just say that he is on wrong way. 99% of people in Australia heard him only in AFL what was a shame. That wasn't for fans, that was marketing. And that was an own-goal. Check the reviews on youtube. 100% of people was laughing. I think, if you are 64, don't wanna be rock hero anymore. The question why Jim doesn't work with him anymore? I think everybody knows the answer. Jim doesn't wanna be partner in it...

Sebastian.
07 Oct 2011, 11:52
I don't want him retire I just say that he is on wrong way. 99% of people in Australia heard him only in AFL what was a shame. That wasn't for fans, that was marketing. And that was an own-goal. Check the reviews on youtube. 100% of people was laughing. I think, if you are 64, don't wanna be rock hero anymore. The question why Jim doesn't work with him anymore? I think everybody knows the answer. Jim doesn't wanna be partner in it...

YouTube = Trolls playground. I'd bet a huge portion of those have no knowledge of music and are just jumping on the bandwagon...

Also where are you getting you statistics? How do you know that Jim doesn't want to work with him anymore?

:roll:

White of High
07 Oct 2011, 12:00
Also where are you getting you statistics? How do you know that Jim doesn't want to work with him anymore?

Does Jim look like he wanna work with him? That would be a lot of money for him, but he is working on a "nobody-cares-Bat-musical", and not on Meat's new album even he has a lot of material to sell...

CarylB
07 Oct 2011, 12:20
In the last 10 years I became a collector and I couldn't call me fan, because i'm not a fan of the last 10 years of his career. In 2003 I waited CHSIB as hell and I was disappointed. I thought Meat should have returned to Jim ...

I wouldn't call you a fan either, we can agree on that ;) And I think that last sentence speaks volumes.

I don't want him retire I just say that he is on wrong way.

It's not the road you want him on, but it's HIS road, and his journey to make, his future to explore. You seem to want him to go back and be as he was 20 years ago. It's not possible, it's not going to happen. Like many, I love the new road he's on. You don't. I think you lost your affection for what he does with CHSIB, (which I think is one of his best albums ever). Sorry, but he's moved on.

....... The question why Jim doesn't work with him anymore? I think everybody knows the answer. Jim doesn't wanna be partner in it...

No .. YOU think you know the answer. And personally I find your implication as biased as it is insulting. I am glad Meat has found his own way and that Cavallo allowed him to express it. I think HCTB is a masterpiece, and actually it moves me more than BOOH, much as I still love the latter. But BOOH is history, and I love to see a performer continuing to develop their style, continue to create a new path.

You've seemed to find everything Meat's done without Steinman wanting in some way. I do not. If Meat records a Steinman penned lyric at some time I'll be happy and interested to hear it, but no happier or more interested than I am in any other recording he may do. Because I am a Meat fan.

Steinman has written some amazing songs, he had the touch of genius, yes. Meat brought those songs to life in my view; he made that Bat fly round the world. They each made their significant contribution.

Meat continues to record, to perform, to create, to be prolific. There are songs on CHSIB that I personally consider to be as magnificent as those penned by Steinman. The same on HCTB, and I expect to find the same on HIAH. That's my view. That's why I continue to enjoy following Meat. I feel you are still mourning a partnership that ended some time ago, and still wanting only to see it resurrected. That must be disappointing, but time to move past it I think. We all have to let the past go, and if the present reality is not to our liking we can only change our own path, not the path of others. Change is inevitable, and artists of calibre develop and seek to move forward and in new directions. Trying to halt it is as futile as Canute bidding the tide not to come in.

Caryl

LucyK!
07 Oct 2011, 12:44
In the last 10 years I became a collector and I couldn't call me fan, because i'm not a fan of the last 10 years of his career. In 2003 I waited CHSIB as hell and I was disappointed. I thought Meat should have returned to Jim and I was impressed to hear Bat3. I didn't like it at all but I think it's still his best in the last 10 years, it's just not a Bat album. HCTB is not my taste and I think Meat's voice is weird on it. Now here is HIAHB, sure, I'm gonna buy it and I'm gonna go a concert if he will be close to Hungary, like Vienna or even Munich. He won't have concerts in these cities, I'm sure.

I might be wrong but seeing as you're based in Budapest can I assume you didn't see any of the HCTB tour? If that's the case, I would urge you, don't write him off just yet.

Believe me, I had. In my opinion CHSIB wasn't great with all the illness etc Hair Of The Dog was fine, Three Bats was good, and Casa De Carne was a car-crash at times. When the HCTB tickets were booked I was of course excited but I was pretty nervous about what it would be like, especially with the band changes.

But I promise you, HCTB was vocally exceptional. I'd like to think I write honest reviews - I'll tell you if I loved something and I'll tell you if I hated it - and that tour shocked the hell out of me. Even if you didn't like the songs from the album the guy worked his arse off and the vocals were outstanding, not only on the new songs but the old stuff too.

In all honesty, this time last year I probably would have agreed with you entirely, but if over recent years you've only seen You Tube footage then please do keep an open mind. And if you can get to a show, do it, you'll get the shock of your life!!!

CarylB
07 Oct 2011, 12:47
even he has a lot of material to sell...

You left out "if". He may not. And Meat has his own creative and continually developing path he is following. Let the tide flow and ebb WoH. Because it will despite you ;)

Caryl

robgomm
07 Oct 2011, 13:24
Agree with everything Caryl has said. Cannot believe the stuff written here, and like Caryl I find it insulting that you (White) seem to think things that you say are facts and not opinions, that you're right and we're wrong. I just can't understand why you feel the need to keep stirring things up on this forum when you're no longer a fan. Why are you still here? Mods you can see what White is doing right?

allrevvedup
07 Oct 2011, 13:47
:twisted: Keep on the subject please.

To say somebodys opinion is rubbish is insulting.
Disagree with the idea, don't disrespect the poster.

Please no more personal insults or attacks.

GDW
07 Oct 2011, 13:54
50% Vocal + 50% Performance = 100% Concert:!::-)

Wario
07 Oct 2011, 13:57
99% of people in Australia heard him only in AFL what was a shame.

WHAT? where the hell did you get that statistic? Every show in australia is sold out. And not everyone in Australia watched the pregame show. And not everyone watched YouTube there.

That wasn't for fans, that was marketing.

Im the king of england. Meat does everything, I MEAN EVERYTHING, for his fans. Never say that.

Check the reviews on youtube. 100% of people was laughing.

100% means everyone. FAR FROM IT. The people dissing meat ae teh TROLLS.

I think, if you are 64, don't wanna be rock hero anymore.

The hell? Ignorance at its finest. If anything you'd long to be the rock hero of your youth

The question why Jim doesn't work with him anymore? I think everybody knows the answer. Jim doesn't wanna be partner in it...

Dont bring that into this thread. This has nothing to do with Jim. Jim doesn't wanna do ANYTHING but work on his bat musical right now. Meat and Jim love each other to death. Jim loves seeing his songs PERFORMED. and Meat does that with ease :)

This went off the deep end.

robgomm
07 Oct 2011, 14:22
WHAT? where the hell did you get that statistic? Every show in australia is sold out. And not everyone in Australia watched the pregame show. And not everyone watched YouTube there.

Im the king of england. Meat does everything, I MEAN EVERYTHING, for his fans. Never say that.

100% means everyone. FAR FROM IT. The people dissing meat ae teh TROLLS.

The hell? Ignorance at its finest. If anything you'd long to be the rock hero of your youth

Dont bring that into this thread. This has nothing to do with Jim. Jim doesn't wanna do ANYTHING but work on his bat musical right now. Meat and Jim love each other to death. Jim loves seeing his songs PERFORMED. and Meat does that with ease :)

This went off the deep end.

Unbelievable isn't it.

stretch37
07 Oct 2011, 14:39
I find it exceptional that "fans" are allowed to post such bs on this forum.

If your gonna slag off Meat, get the hell away from here, he doesnt need to read this bullshit.

suzieq
07 Oct 2011, 14:55
I find it exceptional that "fans" are allowed to post such bs on this forum.

If your gonna slag off Meat, get the hell away from here, he doesnt need to read this bullshit.

I find it appalling that "collectors" are allowed to post such bs on here.

AndyK
07 Oct 2011, 15:13
OK, everyones had their say now, and we're in the usual disapointing downward spiral.