PDA

View Full Version : 79. Tear Me Down

White of High
08 Jul 2003, 21:15
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!

Tear Me Down (7)

This song is a cover of an Hedwig & The Angry Inch song. You can find some differences between the lines. I have to say the Hedwig version is a little bit better cause Meat's voice is very raw. The melody is good but I don't like the speech in the middle of the song. Hey Meat! Are you an exhibition?

I think Meat has sholud covered Wig In A Box by Hedwig cause that is so much better...

My score: 7

Average: 8.61 (163.5/19)

Taipan
08 Jul 2003, 21:24
not sure about this one...the speech in the middle, whilst amusing to meat's existing fans, doesn't really do much for anyone else...it comes across as being a bit self-promotional. other than that, i really enjoy the song.

so, 8/10 for the song, deduct 2 for the speaking...

6/10

mariella
08 Jul 2003, 21:35
Really like to play this song VERY loud. Reminds me of the first time I heard it at Hyde Park. My first concert.
A song that can really 'lift me up' when I am not feeling to good.
And make me feel 'even better', when I am feeling good!

Great song, not too crazy about the 'speaking-part', but that is 'fun' on stage.

8,5/10

Mariella

Cathie
08 Jul 2003, 22:16
I think that the song itself is good but i don't like the speaking part, it makes the song sound like an advert. I'd rather hear Meat sing than the woman talk. Meat, of course, sounds great.
7/10

Michel
08 Jul 2003, 22:42
Great song. I absolutely like this one. Great melody and great tekst. The spoken part is funny.

My score: 8/9

Testify
08 Jul 2003, 23:31
8/10. i like it. simple as that

Tim
08 Jul 2003, 23:36
isn't it more euh... how do you say it..... isn't it better to wait a while to rate these songs, cause the album is only in stores for a couple of months.... so.... just my humble no commentary advice???

Tim

Evan
09 Jul 2003, 01:30
This is an average song. I consider it to be better then anything else on "Couldn't Have Said It Better" however. John Cameron Mitchell's (Hedwig) version is much better and musically there's no comparison between the too, JCM's has much more of a punk rock live concert vibe to it, while I find Meat's version very complicated musically, especially coming out of the monologue. Also, I'll add that JCM's version has the chorus of "enemies and adversaries, they try and tear me down" while Meat's for some reason changed to the dreadful "and I'm easy and I'm serious" which just sounds ridiculous. I don't mind that Steve Trask changed the song to fit it to Meat's story, but changing the chorus ruined it for me.

6/10
Just for the record, I give JCM's version 10/10.

Puritan
09 Jul 2003, 12:28
Well I have never heard the original Hedwig & The Angry Inch version - if I had perhaps I would feel differently

I think this is a great song performed live - I saw it last summer in Hyde Park and Cardiff and was very impressed. The spoken part was perfect for a live performance when the crowd is pumped up.

Must admit that the studio version does not quite have the same impact and I can understand some of the above comments about the spoken part in that context.

However I still think it is one of the better tracks on the album. I give it 8 out of 10

Crystal Eyes
09 Jul 2003, 14:40
Never heard the Hedwig version so i can't compare.
Meat loaf's version is great though and I like the speaking part. I almost always feel like playing it.
My score 9/10

Em
09 Jul 2003, 18:20
Not keen on the version on the cd. Liked it much better when he performed it on the janice long show on radio 2 perhaps its' better live.
Really like the first part but do not like the spoken bit, in fact I find the voice of the speaker irritating and now I usually skip this bit.

Also, I'll add that JCM's version has the chorus of "enemies and adversaries, they try and tear me down" while Meat's for some reason changed to the dreadful "and I'm easy and I'm serious" which just sounds ridiculous

I agree with this, the original words make much more sense.

7/10 for the first bit and 1/10 for the spoken bit so that makes 4/10 for the whole song.

Bren
10 Jul 2003, 15:38
This was good performed live at Hyde Park, but when listening to the Cd I find myself wanting to skip the spoken part.personal thing ,i hate songs that have spoken parts to them.I don't mind poetry /verse,included as in Left in the dark, Took the words...that's fine,but this!!!Does not appeal at all. The rest off the song is fine.

Bren

Michel
10 Jul 2003, 23:24
isn't it more euh... how do you say it..... isn't it better to wait a while to rate these songs, cause the album is only in stores for a couple of months.... so.... just my humble no commentary advice???

Tim

That's the reason why I put a question in the topic "The Standing", Tim.

Vickip
11 Jul 2003, 02:21
Meat loaf's version is great though and I like the speaking part. I almost always feel like playing it.
My score 9/10

I definitely agree with you Crystal Eyes :)
I really enjoy the CD version .... but it's really fantastic live ! I got hooked on it when I first heard him sing it at the Allentown State fair in Pennsylvania last year :))
My score : 9/10 (CD) 10/10 (Live)

Vicki

Shane
12 Jul 2003, 03:29
This is an average song. I consider it to be better then anything else on "Couldn't Have Said It Better" however. John Cameron Mitchell's (Hedwig) version is much better and musically there's no comparison between the too, JCM's has much more of a punk rock live concert vibe to it, while I find Meat's version very complicated musically, especially coming out of the monologue. Also, I'll add that JCM's version has the chorus of "enemies and adversaries, they try and tear me down" while Meat's for some reason changed to the dreadful "and I'm easy and I'm serious" which just sounds ridiculous. I don't mind that Steve Trask changed the song to fit it to Meat's story, but changing the chorus ruined it for me.

6/10
Just for the record, I give JCM's version 10/10.

I listened to the Hedwig version a couple of days ago. I prefer the guitars on the original, but otherwise I prefer Meat's version.

dottie
16 Jul 2003, 19:33
Definetly one for a live performance - 8/10

Wild_Honey
17 Jul 2003, 12:21
:D 10/10 :D

heat
18 Jul 2003, 03:21
I really like this one - 8/10

Jayd
18 Jul 2003, 14:22
Great song and I like the spoken part. How is it advertising when you have already got the album, listen to the story of it.10/10 :D

Terri
18 Jul 2003, 15:29
:D A bit predictable is me......like I've said before I like all the tracks on CHSIB album. Perhaps some slightly more than others.
This one I love, the spoken part especially!
I agree with the others tho' this would be great live!

10/10

evil nickname
19 Jul 2003, 21:11
I really like the message in the song, most evidently expressed in the chorus:

"I'm easy and I'm serious-
They try and tear me down!
You want me, baby, I dare you:
Try and tear me down"

Kinda "no matter what is going on, I'll be standing strong, and if you want a piece of me -- come and get it", but then with better words.
The spoken part in the middle, well, I like the tongue-in-cheekiness of the last part ("Yeah, everything from Texas is big...") but on the other hand it doen't do much for me. Either way, it's fine with me.
Musically, is a decent rocksong. I could agree on the live-vibe this song has... but then again, I've only witnessed this song once live, in a not so great performance, so I couldn't make judgement on that.

On a side note: I like it better than the Hedwig version, mostly on behalf of the vocals. That guy needs to shut up, or at least, I think he should.

Overall: not too bad... 7.5/10

Quigmo
25 Oct 2003, 13:46
This is the song I remember from the "having fun for the summer" tour and then again on the last tour. Now that I've heard the album version it ranks a full 10/10 I love this song. You tell 'em Meat!

RSG
07 Nov 2003, 00:24
Great song, man is it ever great. Fun really loud, and I enjoy the woman's part in the song. No one can tear this man. I personally love this one more than Hedwig's, I'd give is an 8.5 at the most. and Meat's a 9.5.

LostSoul
28 Dec 2003, 07:59
I do like the spoken part and I do like this song.
It's like an extension to "Testify"...

I'm looking forward to listening to it live!

7/10

BadAttitude
28 Dec 2003, 08:19
Lostsoul I agree with you on your evaluation of this one.

I also give it a 7/10

native texan
11 Feb 2004, 19:29
I've listened to this song many times, trying to like it. Gotta say, it doesn't do anything for me. I do, however, LOVE the spoken part. Big surprise, huh? :lol:

Pudding
11 Feb 2004, 19:43
Nah! It doesn't cut it for me neither.

Pud:o]

RadioMaster
08 Jul 2006, 11:33
The rockiest song on CHSIB, (beside Do it!)
Not bad, I like the speech part in the middle.
Powerful

sunneke
08 Jul 2006, 22:34
one of my favourites!!!! lots of power!

mszee
09 Jul 2006, 00:21
Ok song...monologue in the middle rocks...

6/10

Jackoutofhell
10 Jul 2006, 08:07
Well... time to be disagreeable again.

I LOVE the song itself, but the monologue is stupid, cheesy, overblown, and has a somewhat promotional feel. It almost ruins the whole song, but thankfully, it doesn't, and what's left is brilliant. :oops:

Evil One
23 Jan 2007, 23:17

White of High
29 Jan 2007, 00:55
Average: 7.67 (184/24)