PDA

View Full Version : Just one song...

Deena J
09 Jul 2011, 02:48
Okay, I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post on it ever. So I hope I have placed this thread in the correct section...

Earlier today, my brother and I got into a friendly argument about music. He mentioned on Facebook that he had been listening to this one song repeatedly all day. I replied that I had never heard that particular title before... And his comment back was "Because it's not Meat Loaf." :roll:

Now I try to be open-minded and will attempt to listen to my brother's favorite songs at least once ---whether the band is Shinedown, Black Stone Cherry, whatever... A couple of times, I liked the song enough to put it on my iPod; most of the time though, I don't like his choices at all.

So here is my question for the forum... If you had to choose ONE SONG (a hit single or not, it doesn't matter) for somebody who has never listened to Meat Loaf before (aka my brother), which title would you play?

Thanks!
Deena

JennaG
09 Jul 2011, 11:05
Okay, I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post on it ever. So I hope I have placed this thread in the correct section...

Earlier today, my brother and I got into a friendly argument about music. He mentioned on Facebook that he had been listening to this one song repeatedly all day. I replied that I had never heard that particular title before... And his comment back was "Because it's not Meat Loaf." :roll:

Now I try to be open-minded and will attempt to listen to my brother's favorite songs at least once ---whether the band is Shinedown, Black Stone Cherry, whatever... A couple of times, I liked the song enough to put it on my iPod; most of the time though, I don't like his choices at all.

So here is my question for the forum... If you had to choose ONE SONG (a hit single or not, it doesn't matter) for somebody who has never listened to Meat Loaf before (aka my brother), which title would you play?

Thanks!
Deena

I'd go for Bat Out of Hell as it is one of Meat's most well known songs. It's a song that is sang well and demonstrates real passion and talent. A lot of people I know who have heard it will listen to the song even if they're not Meat Loaf fans, whereas they'll turn their noses up at some of the others.

Welcome to the forum Deena. :)

robgomm
09 Jul 2011, 11:10
Very difficult. It's got to be something that gives people an idea of what Meat is all about and his type of sound. But some of Meat songs could be a bit scary at first to the modern listener with their length and epicness! Also going by the times we live in it needs to sound quite modern, so i'd have to go for one of his latest songs.

I say that noone could not like Living On The Outside. Even my Brother who doesn't like Meat Loaf, listened to the new album and said Living On The Outside was a good song. It's a crying shame that this wasn't the song that was promoted as a single as it could have gained Meat ALOT of new fans. I'm not just saying that as a fan, I truly truly believe it.

p.s. Welcome to the forum!

Elijah's way
09 Jul 2011, 20:49
Song Of Madness

duke knooby
09 Jul 2011, 21:25

Thanks!
Deena

welcome to the forum, good question and my answer is it would depend what one wishes to achieve... are you trying to hook someone? surprise them? etc etc ;)

snowy
09 Jul 2011, 23:16
I introduced a pupil I teach who is a Lil Wayne fan to Like A Rose and he loves it. It maybe the slightly risqué topic & lyrics or the fact that Jack Black is on the track - I don't know.
Any way - 1 down another 800 pupils to go!

Paul Richardson
09 Jul 2011, 23:52
Bat Out Of Hell is the greatest rock song and rock performance OF ALL TIME, period. It really is as simple as that !

Deena J
10 Jul 2011, 03:21
I would love to hook my brother and get him to enjoy ML too. Thanks everybody for your suggestions! :-)

The Flying Mouse
10 Jul 2011, 21:59
:twisted: Hi Deena.
Welcome to the forum.

I really don't know how how you could represent what Meat does in one song.

You know your brother, so pick a song that is closest to his musical tastes.

Wario
10 Jul 2011, 22:31
exactly.

here are some options:

If you're brother is into.....

Rap/Hip Hop = Do It
Country = Midnight
Country Dance = Los Angeloser
Gospel = Testify or Future aint what it used to be
Pure Dance = Burning Down, the Extended version of Getting Away With Murder, or the Extended version of Rock & Roll Mercenaries
Alternative = California
Tenacious D = Like a Rose
Musical Theater soundtracks = Hot Patootie (Roxy Version), More Then You Deserve
Hard Rock = Lemon, Louder, or Masculine
Soft Rock = 2 outta 3
Rock Opera = If hes into rock opera, theirs no reason he shouldn't love meat loaf.

Cherry.Loaf
10 Jul 2011, 23:04
It really depends on what they like; I introduced my heavy metal friend to him by getting him to hear song of madness which I was proud of as he told me he hated Meat Loaf and being one of my good friends that was not allowed to continue

Evil Ernie
11 Jul 2011, 04:10
If I had to pick one song it would have to be BOOH.

If I had to choose one ALBUM that runs the gammot of everything Meat Loaf I would say 'Welcome to The Neighborhood'. It has everything from Ballads to Rock Songs. Jim Steinman and Diane Warren tracks. Also the best overall that Meat has ever sounded and looked.

RSG
11 Jul 2011, 13:02
You know the best way to get him into the loaf is having west side story on surround sound all weekend. He will cry to heaven for meat loaf! but heaven can wait throw in some lesser known air supply in your playlist. The meat loaf will roll right in. In my home we take turns sharing the music we wanna hear. No how big the crowd. They were all good suggestions but cause u asked the one song i'd pick is
blind as a bat. It has classic and newer elements to what we heard from meat loaf. And irs killer loud. But i would love it more for myself. Your brother walk in seeing u having a rocking time to the loaf he will grow curious on his own. There is just something about meat and jim, together and seprate..completely original.

robgomm
11 Jul 2011, 19:17
exactly.

here are some options:

If you're brother is into.....

Rap/Hip Hop = Do It
Country = Midnight
Country Dance = Los Angeloser
Gospel = Testify or Future aint what it used to be
Pure Dance = Burning Down, the Extended version of Getting Away With Murder, or the Extended version of Rock & Roll Mercenaries
Alternative = California
Tenacious D = Like a Rose
Musical Theater soundtracks = Hot Patootie (Roxy Version), More Then You Deserve
Hard Rock = Lemon, Louder, or Masculine
Soft Rock = 2 outta 3
Rock Opera = If hes into rock opera, theirs no reason he shouldn't love meat loaf.

LOL

Deena J
12 Jul 2011, 00:06
LOL I think I will have to make my brother listen to more than one, back to back, even if I have to hogtie him to the chair first. Song of Madness, definitely... Like a Rose, probably (since my brother likes Jack Black)... And Bat out of Hell, more than likely. :D Then I'll work my way down ya'lls list after that, if he agrees to it. Thanks!!!!!!! :cool:

Meatfan4ever
12 Jul 2011, 00:08
I always play Couldn't Have Said it Better to the non-Meat lover...

Mr. Happy
12 Jul 2011, 13:03
Bat's already been mentioned, but also Paradise or Anything for Love. As much as I dislike the both of them these days, they're a fair indication of Meat Loaf's music, and they represent the sound that Meat's tried to capture throughout his entire career, even without Steinman (Welcome to The Neighbourhood, Bat 3 in particular)

RSG
13 Jul 2011, 00:03
Only thing that I think of Steinman music on WTTN is ILFY. And that's only cause I've read it enough times online lol I don't hear it much, Steinman's music is amazing. Ms Warrens to me... not so much. A different songwriter merely.
TMIL definetly tried to capture something. And that's why it flew with barely little wings. Wrong hands in the kitchen. And it did sound captured. I like something like HCTB and BOOH plus other Meat stuff over the years that really captures me, gives me flight. Drop me from high altitudes giving me birth to colourful attitudes. And like a demon or an angel picks me up when I'm about to smash on the ground.

Moving onward, HCTB and CHSIB song is some real solid material. I remember hearing DIST? (radio version) as if it were only yesterday. Before someone took my CHSIB album I had it in its case with the receipt I got with it. The very day the record came out in Canada. 27, or 23? of September 2003 lol

KayBaby
13 Jul 2011, 15:47
That's a really good question and a tough one. (I'm a newbie too)

I think people either get ML or you don't.

I can only narrow it down to 2 albums, not songs, and even that's tough: Bat Out of Hell and Hang Cool Teddy Bear. They both provide the variety, power and soulfulness. Actually I like everything because I love his voice - have never heard another one like it. Which prompts me to start a new thread, rather than hijack this one....

Tony1138
22 Jul 2011, 16:10
If I Can't Have You

loaferman61
04 Aug 2011, 18:00
Kind of a tough question since it depends upon the individual listener and their personal tastes. Meat also has a wide variety of songs to go with it. If your brother is into metal go with "Madness" or modern rock go with "Like A Rose" which is darn catchy. I remember way back when there were record stores, Bat 2 had not been released yet and the store had a sampler disc playing and I was amazed at how many people were obviously into "Lemon". The guy at the counter said a number of people had asked about the CD and that song in particular but back then we did not have the internet so we had to wait to get a listen to the full song.

lorenzoduke
04 Aug 2011, 21:45
Peace On Earth should blow any rock music fan away.