PDA

View Full Version : Did I Say That? (Decade Later)

RSG
04 Jun 2011, 17:13
Every once and a while this song goes into my playing list. I thought I would take this time to reflect on a very classic Meat Loaf song. Alot has changed over the past ten years. But the strength behind this song and the emotional roller coaster that it is remains intact. Nobody could deliver this the way he does. It's just so strong. The character to I anyway is so fragile, yet carries on to the end of the song. Beautifully devastating.

Was this one of the James Michael songs?

jcmoorehead
04 Jun 2011, 17:59
Couldn't Have Said It Better is a weird album for me in that it'll get very little to no play time but then a track will come on and I'll think "Damn this was a pretty good album with some damn fine songs." Did I Say That is one of those songs and it's a shame this album and some of those tracks didn't really get any promotion and seem to have been forgotten about.

stretch37
04 Jun 2011, 19:41
Ah the days of listening to Did I Say That, Love You Out Loud, and CHSIB on repeat....:cool:

RSG
05 Jun 2011, 06:49
this song is beautiful. when my big bro was still alive, i show him the radio recording. i remember him telling me how beautiful he thought it was. i love him, i love this song. i love meat loaf for meat loaf. he is the man.

the most deepest respect,
thank you, thank you

anthony

Wario
05 Jun 2011, 06:50
This, Testify, Why isnt that enough, and mercury blues showcase how a meat loaf album resinates with the modern ear and eye with odious grandeur.

RSG
05 Jun 2011, 06:53
testify is sick. he's always been able to release a amazing song. above par than most recordings i honestly thinks. him and steinman are god-like!

LisaT
05 Jun 2011, 15:28
Does anyone know where I could buy the 'Did I Say That' single? I really want it for the B-side, 'Decadent Wish'. I found a couple of copies for purchase online, but they cost an absolute fortune!

Monstro
05 Jun 2011, 19:15
Got mine from Ebay, regularly pops up on there

loaferman61
05 Jun 2011, 21:28
But the strength behind this song and the emotional roller coaster that it is remains intact. Nobody could deliver this the way he does. It's just so strong. The character to I anyway is so fragile, yet carries on to the end of the song. Beautifully devastating.

I had to look back and see who posted this. I thought I knew and was surprised to see it wasn't who I thought it was LOL.

MeatGrl1
06 Jun 2011, 01:11
Do It! puts me off this album !!!

That aside, I do generally skip that one when I get the album out, love the title track and most of the other songs on there but it's not my favourite of albums if I am being brutally honest.

lorenzoduke
06 Jun 2011, 03:29
I like the album, but the production is far too slick for my tastes. That said, 'Did I Say That', 'Man Of Steel', 'Love You Out Loud' and 'Mercury Blues' are all good. 'Decadent Wish' and 'Unsaid' from the B-sides too.

As for 'Do It'...hmm, I don't know quite what they were going for there.

RSG
06 Jun 2011, 06:10
Odd production. I mean I'm not sure of what it was like behind the scenes. But the finished project has some surprising highlights. I'm no producer, so I can't say alot. But he brought some real good out of Meat Loaf. Most of the naturalness was there, like in HCTB. Some of the actual music, not the vocals did sound...radio like. Not the hip stuff he's been recording today.
Do It was a bold move. A real stray from the album. But it was great in the 2003 set. There used to be a live film of it from Mexico I'm sure. And it wasn't the one they used the glowing masks and gloves. I'm pretty sure it was the night after or before. Think it was said he did two Mexico nights in a row that week.

Dave
06 Jun 2011, 08:54
I have Paul Crook's DO IT mask :)

robgomm
06 Jun 2011, 10:04
Oh no, i'm now going to be singing DIST the rest of the day! Mind you that's no bad thing. A real classic imo, my best mate whose a big fan also loves this track. One of the best from CHSIB, but like others have said not the only great track on that album. i might have to giver a play today now you've reminded me! Thanks!

Btw I love the power in Meats voice on Forever Young.

RSG
06 Jun 2011, 20:10
I have Paul Crook's DO IT mask :)

Too awesome. Could u post a pic sometime this week? :D

I love the power in Meats voice on Forever Young.
Indeed, I heard somewhere he sang this in one take. Was just drums and bass. That be interesting to hear. The way it is though, wow. Brings a new kind of magic of its original.