PDA

View Full Version : Older singers, what place do they have?

LP
26 Jan 2011, 12:54
I thought I'd bring the issue of older singers into a new thread as this topic interests me.

My synopsis of the situation is this: As a society we don’t know how to deal with older people. 60 just isn’t old any more, 70 isn’t either, health permitting. Older people have such a huge ‘retirement’ period ahead of them that many chose or have no other choice but to continue working. My father runs a company erecting steel-framed buildings, he’s 62 and can’t imagine stopping. He has a range of people working for him from mid-twenties up to 68. And guess who’s carrying twice the load of materials up the ladders just as they did back in the 1960’s…. They are of a generation that will continue to work because that’s what they are about.

Transferring this to rock music….

Rock and Roll is so relatively young that we just don’t know what to do with older singers. We’re only really on the 3rd / 4th generation of performers. Bands like U2, Radiohead, Manics, Bon Jovi, are the next case in point after the Jaggers, Elton’s and Meat Loaf’s of the world. There is absolutely no reason why any older artists should stop…unless they are giving bad performances! A strange thing does seem to happen once a performer reaches 70+ though. Guys like Chuck Berry and Lenard Cohen gain a new-found respect, age-irrelevant. I’m not sure why this is.

So who is making it hard for older singers and why are they being so stupidly blind when it comes to the massive fan-bases and mature, dispensable, cash available? The executives behind the record companies and TV talent shows aren’t that far behind Meat in terms of age. It strikes me that they are missing a trick and spending all of their efforts on young cash whilst the other side of 40 remains untapped. I’ve no evidence to prove this, it’s just a feeling I get and wanted to share.

What we need is a new label with a completely reinvented approach. Someone needs to take a huge step back and look at the scenario logically, with fresh eyes. If I had a little bit more time and capital behind my businesses I’d be there like a shot. Give me 5 years.

I think that this topic would also make a fantastic TV documentary. I’d love to know everyone’s thoughts. I’m 31 by the way, if that makes a difference.

Luke

LP
26 Jan 2011, 13:08
Another little thought, I think that Meat Loaf was designed to be older, it suits him!

He's never fitted into a genre and has been hard to place for people who are given the task to market him... at least now they have the age excuse to use.

CarylB
26 Jan 2011, 14:55
I wouldn't disagree with most of that. Although businesses, whilst they have been waking up to the advantages of employing mature workers with their wealth of experience, commitment to doing a job well (over here anyway), still tend to see them as great to employ for front line jobs but less so for more senior mnagement ... but there is a grateful take-up for experienced senior, but unemployed, managers who give help and advice on a voluntary unpaid basis! And of course in the broader entertainment context there is more scope for older people (Although women can be disadvantaged in TV and film work .. recent cases where women were dropped from TV presenting jobs on hitting 50 plus evidence this .. we wait to see how the recent successful case against the BBC may change things). Certainly male actors are free and welcomed to contnue as long as they have interest and their health :-)

You say Rock and Roll is still relatively young .. perhaps it's also still perceived as a youth market? Although I think this ignores the reality that those who were attracted to rock when it started don't lose interest because they get older. Some may continue to lean towards the style of rock they first loved .. but surely that should argue a case that older rock singers/bands, most of whom have evolved their style with rock as it has developed anyway, should be welcomed and supported by the business; and most of them have continued to attract new fans each generation.

Certainly the record companies seem to invest a disproportionate effort into younger and new performers, and to me these seem to be launched in ever greater numbers. There certainly seems to be a developing culture of fast buck from the latest newcomer and on to the next in the pop world, and record labels are perhaps more diverted into this area. Generally attitudes towards all investments, not simply the music business, have changed considerably in the last 20 odd years. So much of the time it's all about buy today and sell tomorrow having made a killing! In that, I guess the music business is following a trend that I find lamentable.

Certainly in losing sight of the significant potential of mature established artists I agree they are shortsightedly missing a trick. Experience develops skills and expertise that can't be bought. Meat for eg has continually developed his stagecraft over the years, which is what makes his shows so electrifying. You say the senior executives behind the record companies and TV talent shows aren’t that far behind Meat in terms of age. Perhaps the more senior? There are likely to be many executives in their 30s and 40s, and I am constantly taken aback at how often people in this age band dismiss those who are older, forgetting how soon they will be there, how much more experience they will have acquired, and how frustrated they will be when they are dismissed because they are "old"!

And I agree wholeheartedly with your second post. Maturity so suits Meat :-) He has acquired stature without losing his drive, energy, constant pursuit of excellence and desire to push his music forwards .. and his sense of fun! But I think you're right .. age is a convenient excuse to use.

Caryl

GDW
26 Jan 2011, 16:25
How about a new record label for the oldies called K-Tel.:D:lol:

Smithie
26 Jan 2011, 16:51
I appreciate the fact that Meat embraces that he is "sexty-three" on this current tour. I thought it was lame in 2007 when they were trying to bring out the young female singers. Meat is a legend and he doesn't have to rely on gimmicks. This current tour is one of Meat's best because the focus in on giving the audience amazing music and amazing performances from the best singers and band I've ever seen.

daveake
26 Jan 2011, 17:20
How about a new record label for the oldies called K-Tel.:D:lol:

Sagaphone

Sarge
26 Jan 2011, 17:36
That's nothing new. The issue could be the foundation of another "concept" album :)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdfPER5Cgm8