PDA

View Full Version : Meat on front page BBC website - Apprentice USA

AndrewG
14 Jan 2011, 19:27
Front page news on BBC website here in the UK:

Linkie (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12189913)

Meat Loaf and La Toya set for US Celebrity Apprentice

Singers Meat Loaf and La Toya Jackson are among the stars vying to become Donald Trump's latest Celebrity Apprentice.

Contenders for the US charity version of the show, hosted by the business tycoon, also include former teen idol David Cassidy and actor Gary Busey.

Deaf Oscar-winning actress Marlee Matlin and singer Dionne Warwick have also signed up to appear.

Poison singer Bret Michaels won the show last year.

Retired baseball player Jose Canseco and US TV personality Star Jones will be others hoping to hear "You're Hired!" while raising money for their chosen charity.

So will NeNe Leakes and Richard Hatch, from reality shows Survivor and The Real Housewives of Atlanta respectively.

Soap actress Lisa Rinna, supermodel Niki Taylor, rapper Lil Jon, country singer John Rich and model Hope Dworaczyk complete the line-up.

Previous winners of the show include comedienne Joan Rivers and former Britain's Got Talent judge Piers Morgan.

The show - which sees its participants compete in business-oriented tasks - begins on 6 March on US network NBC.

14 Jan 2011, 19:34
Yea i just saw that, good promo :))

Sarge
14 Jan 2011, 20:04
Seeing artists take part in such shows is kind of sad.

CarylB
14 Jan 2011, 20:08

Yes :) From something he said, I think he did rather well on the show too :)

Caryl

AndrewG
14 Jan 2011, 20:20

Well I don't know. I can understand a bit of fun here and there and after all it's for charity so good on them. :up:
I just hate the American Apprentice, it's all over the place and you don't really get a feel for what's going on with how they edit the show I think. It's so awful in comparison to the UK version in fact. On top of that there is simply no comparison to the whit and humour and intelligence of Alan Sugar. For me Donald Trump is impossible to enjoy watching. On a different level completely. :?

Meat Loaf in Alan Sugar's boardroom, now that is something I would like to see.

AndyK
14 Jan 2011, 20:21
Meat Loaf in Alan Sugar's boardroom, now that is something I would like to see.

Doubt we'll see that, I see to remember Lord Sugar saying he wouldn't do Celebrity Apprentice again.

Wario
14 Jan 2011, 20:22

well Meats an actor first, a musician second according to himself

Sarge
14 Jan 2011, 20:26
and after all it's for charity

That almost sounds like an excuse. ;) There are better ways to do something for charity, in my opinion.

well Meats an actor first, a musician second according to himself

What does this have to do with my post?

Paul Richardson
14 Jan 2011, 20:32

So tell us what you know, or what he said...

Dave
14 Jan 2011, 21:10

Quite the opposite. I have heard a lot of big time celebs try to get on shows like this and are not chosen.

Sarge
14 Jan 2011, 21:22
big time celebs

Can you name a few?

Adje
14 Jan 2011, 21:31
Can you name a few?

LOL you beat me:mrgreen:

All I see are lists of people that once were successful. Why pick them over the 'Big Time' celebs? *Unless Gary Busey, LaToya etc. are still 'big time' celebs in your eyes. Hell even Meat isn't a Big Time celeb. He might be the most succesfull present celeb but the Big Times are from the past. The others don't even come close...:roll:

It's like Celebrity Big Brother and Celebrity... whatever. Desperate names from the past trying to get in the spotlight one more time. Quite sad....

AndrewG
14 Jan 2011, 21:36
Yeah LaToya.... The only thing I remember her being famous for was doing Playboy and some stripping in Vegas. Obviously she's too old for that now. :shrug:

Wario
14 Jan 2011, 21:37
The only thing I remember her being famous for was doing Playboy and some stripping in Vegas.

isnt that what meat's famous for too? :shrug:

AndrewG
14 Jan 2011, 21:42
isnt that what meat's famous for too? :shrug:

Maybe the Meat you watch/fantasise about. :shrug:

Dave
14 Jan 2011, 21:45
Can you name a few?

Lindsay Lohan was flat out rejected by the show.

Wario
14 Jan 2011, 21:47
Lindsay Lohan was flat out rejected by the show.

theres a difference between a big name celebrity and a big name press prostitute

Dave
14 Jan 2011, 21:52
theres a difference between a big name celebrity and a big name press prostitute

I never said she was a positive influence, but she does have an impressive IMDB listing under her belt:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0517820/

She is still considered A/B List Hollywood.

Wario
14 Jan 2011, 21:56
I never said she was a positive influence, but she does have an impressive IMDB listing under her belt:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0517820/

She is still considered A/B List Hollywood.

She doesnt exist

meatfanforlife
14 Jan 2011, 22:13
She doesnt exist

I wish...

lorenzoduke
14 Jan 2011, 23:15
Disappointing news considering the point Meat made right here of saying that he wouldn't do reality TV. Still, its his life. At least its for charity I guess. Can't say it pleases me as a fan though.

duke knooby
15 Jan 2011, 00:06
i'll look at it as potential good marketing... it gets meat back in the media, back in the public domain, back interested??

he's a recent album out, and a new album in the making (alledgedly)

and if its for charity excellent!!! (though i imagine thats never the primary reason people appear on these shows)

Vickip
15 Jan 2011, 00:16

Definitely :))

Caryl

Excellent :-) I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Sarge
15 Jan 2011, 01:15
i'll look at it as potential good marketing... it gets meat back in the media, back in the public domain, back interested??

Do you seriously think he'll get more recognition as a singer / actor because of his appearance on that show?

and if its for charity excellent!!!

I'd rather see people WORK TOGETHER for charity than AGAINST EACH OTHER on a show where this is part of the concept:

As with the previous seasons, the winning celebrity team will have the privilege of watching the losing team squirm under the scrutiny of Donald Trump and his advisors from the comfort of their own war room.

from http://meatloaf.net/content/meat-loaf-appear-nbcs-celebrity-apprentice-beginning-march-6

:down:

duke knooby
15 Jan 2011, 01:38
Do you seriously think he'll get more recognition as a singer / actor because of his appearance on that show?

Did I suggest he would?

Sarge
15 Jan 2011, 01:48
Well, you said "it gets meat back in the media, back in the public domain, back interested". So how can he benefit from it exactly? Will people see and get interested in the artist Meat Loaf, or will he just be a contestant on a reality show and serve for short-time entertainment? Will he recommend himself for further shows of that kind by that appearance?

duke knooby
15 Jan 2011, 01:58
So how can he benefit from it exactly? Will people see and get interested in the artist Meat Loaf, or will he just be a contestant on a reality show and serve for short-time entertainment?

how can he benefit from it exactly? i'm not familiar with the us show, but if its anything like the uk version its primetime tv, with a large following... thats large exposure on prime time tv, potentially for several weeks on the trot

as for the 2nd part of the question.. dunno, time will tell

it might end up being like pop star to opera star was on uk tv, or it might end up being a brilliant and smart move

time will tell, but whats he got to loose??

Sarge
15 Jan 2011, 02:15
whats he got to loose??

I'd give you the answer if I didn't suspect that it will get deleted. ;)

duke knooby
15 Jan 2011, 02:20

i suspect it wont get deleted if its your honest opinion given in a non offensive manner

AndrewG
15 Jan 2011, 02:37

His reputation? I don't see why that would have to get deleted. :(

Sarge
15 Jan 2011, 02:49
Some people would surely have a problem with my opinion and the fact that Meat is a member here requires constant self-censorship if you don't wanna get in danger of having to fight one stupid war after another.

@ Andrew: You're close. ;)

Julie in the rv mirror
15 Jan 2011, 02:54

Not necessarily, but at least it gets him out in the public eye. People who may have been fans years ago and have fallen away might seek him out again. I think it worked out pretty well for Brett Michaels last year. And better a show such as this one, than some of the other reality shows out there.

I have to admit- the show is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. :oops:

I'd rather see people WORK TOGETHER for charity than AGAINST EACH OTHER on a show where this is part of the concept:

A fair point, but the competition aspect is what makes the show interesting. People do have to work together to a point, or else they risk being eliminated. I did feel bad for Sharon Osbourne last year, because she didn't win any money for her charity, despite her being one of the strongest players (I like Sharon). I think each celeb should get some amount of cash for their charity just for appearing, and then whatever they win is extra.

CarylB
15 Jan 2011, 03:34
I have to admit- the show is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. :oops:

Mine too :-) Although I watch the UK version with the apprentice job at the end, and didn't see the celebrity one we had (I think it was just the one).

... but the competition aspect is what makes the show interesting. People do have to work together to a point, or else they risk being eliminated.

And that's a good point. There may be bitching and moaning behind others' backs, but generally each team works hard to win because each individual wants to avoid being taken back to the boardroom. The competition between the teams mirrors to an extent the reality of the business marketplace .. and any internal competition also tends to be a reflection of what often takes place within in many companies sadly, although that may come back to bite those who indulge in it during their time on the show. Alan Sugar has often given not being a team player as his reason for firing someone.

Caryl

lorenzoduke
15 Jan 2011, 08:12
I've never seen a singer go on a reality show and be taken more seriously or afforded more attention as a singer as a result, thats for sure. Quite the opposite usually - reality shows just seem to make serial reality show contestants and pundits. Hope that doesn't happen to Meat. Not while he can still fill arenas under his own steam anyway.

Fire Ball
15 Jan 2011, 10:35
Didn't do it for the recognition, the last thing I want, I like going to the store and just being a shopper. I care so much about THE PAINTED TURTLE and kids they take care of. If you were to walk on the ground of that camp, you can feel it, It's magic. You can make a lot of money on that show ! It's not going to help me and it's not going to hurt. Just more people will bug me at airports and that's bad. I have turned down so many of those shows every year for the last 10 years . I learned a lot doing it . One thing, it is not easy , I kept them all running to keep up.
M

CarylB
15 Jan 2011, 10:49
One thing, it is not easy , I kept them all running to keep up.
M

I'll bet .. :lol:

Caryl

carole
15 Jan 2011, 10:51
Didn't do it for the recognition, the last thing I want, I like going to the store and just being a shopper. I care so much about THE PAINTED TURTLE and kids they take care of. If you were to walk on the ground of that camp, you can feel it, It's magic. You can make a lot of money on that show ! It's not going to help me and it's not going to hurt. Just more people will bug me at airports and that's bad. I have turned down so many of those shows every year for the last 10 years . I learned a lot doing it . One thing, it is not easy , I kept them all running to keep up.
M

Thanks Meat, it's great what you are doing, we know you really care about The Painted Turtle charity, it's great what they do.

Carole

Fire Ball
15 Jan 2011, 12:22
no more of those kind of shows, you have know idea the crap people offer me. I say no all the time . I said no to that show 3 times. This time , don't know why, it felt different.
M

A Slice Of English
15 Jan 2011, 12:26
Sounds like you did right by that charity though Meat, and that can never be a bad thing. I work FOR children every day of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wario
15 Jan 2011, 12:31
I just hope and pray that we see Meat and Trump singing Rock & Roll Mercenaries together at some point XD

Evil One
15 Jan 2011, 12:43
That's about as likely to happen as me liking Hang Cool Teddy Bear! :lol:

Fire Ball
15 Jan 2011, 12:47
Well, you said "it gets meat back in the media, back in the public domain, back interested". So how can he benefit from it exactly? Will people see and get interested in the artist Meat Loaf, or will he just be a contestant on a reality show and serve for short-time entertainment? Will he recommend himself for further shows of that kind by that appearance?

It will be nothing more than short time entertainment. I know now why I did it,
but I can't talk. It was worth it . Trust me.
M

Paul Richardson
15 Jan 2011, 12:47
I just hope and pray that we see Meat and Trump singing Rock & Roll Mercenaries together at some point XD

... I suppose that would be preferable to Paradise ...

Fire Ball
15 Jan 2011, 12:54
That's about as likely to happen as me liking Hang Cool Teddy Bear! :lol:

I'm not very fond of the name "evil one" , and not likely to ever like it . It's a bad handle ,dude.
Don't really think it brings much credence to your taste. HCTB is not evil so why should you like it!!!
HCTB is just great !! I love it !! love, evil,love evil. I'll take love every time
M

AndrewG
15 Jan 2011, 12:57
Maybe he should change his name to Lovely One.

MeatGrl1
15 Jan 2011, 12:57
M

I am not familiar with that charity but I am sure it's a worthy cause.
And I guess it's what feels right, if it doesn't feel right at the time then it would be silly to do it.

no more of those kind of shows, you have know idea the crap people offer me. I say no all the time . I said no to that show 3 times. This time , don't know why it felt different.
M

I'm pretty sure we could guess :lol: !!
And like I said before if it felt right then go with it ;).

M

Ooh intreaguing, wish we had it over here now as I am now quite curious :cool: !!

MeatGrl1
15 Jan 2011, 13:01
Maybe he should change his name to Lovely One.

Then people might think he's fan of The Jacksons as they had a song of that name :lol: !!! I actually really love that song but that's just me :lol: !!

Paul Richardson
15 Jan 2011, 13:04
I know now why I did it, but I can't talk. It was worth it. Trust me.

So you win ... ?

Evil One
15 Jan 2011, 13:08
I'm not very fond of the name "evil one" , and not likely to ever like it
There is one word in the English language that will destroy everything you've ever dreamed of, everything you've ever hoped for and everything that you wish to come true, and that word is EVIL :twisted:
Don't really think it brings much credence to your taste.
But surely it prepares people for what they are about to read when they get to the content of my post? :lol:
Then people might think he's fan of The Jacksons as they had a song of that name :lol: !!! I actually really love that song but that's just me :lol: !!
I'll definitely not be going for Lovely One then. Holy One seemed a bit of a hit though! :twisted:

AndrewG
15 Jan 2011, 13:10
So you win ... ?

I doubt Meat can disclose that.
It's the same with the Apprentice in the UK. The last series I know for a fact was 98% filmed a year before its broadcast! :shock:
How they can all keep the losers and winners a secret for so long is quite incredible really.

Paul Richardson
15 Jan 2011, 13:14
I doubt Meat can disclose that. How they can all keep the losers and winners a secret for so long is quite incredible really.

Worth a try though. I'm sure if we were let into a secret we'd all keep quiet ... :lol:

AndrewG
15 Jan 2011, 13:19
Worth a try though. I'm sure if we were let into a secret we'd all keep quiet ... :lol:

Absolutely, knowing us lot around here. :lol:

CarylB
15 Jan 2011, 13:22
"What we call evil, it seems to me, is simply ignorance bumping its head in the dark."
Henry Ford

Evil One
15 Jan 2011, 13:24
Well done. :lol:

CarylB
15 Jan 2011, 13:30
Thank you .. aspirin?;)

Caryl

Evil One
15 Jan 2011, 13:33
No, I haven't read any of your lengthy posts yet. :-P

Fire Ball
15 Jan 2011, 13:43

It's never hurt anyone who has done the show unless you come off like a Jerk. I won't.
I will not make a habit of doing anymore ! I can tell you that . It might help me get a show I want to do for History Channel . It's a documentary on music. It can open doors to different venues. I was a game show host, rocker,on Broadway, film, TV, never been a one trick pony. I like the experience of doing different things. Everyone one of those things have lead to the opening of another door. One Big door Jim, another rocky Horror and the list goes on. You just don't know. You meet different people with different backgrounds, exchange ideas, but most of all you go into something like that to open up yourself to learn new things. That is the point of life, to Learn.
Yes, most people think that a show like that will change their life. Most do come for the exposure . Looking to get a faded light to shine again. it won't do that for them. I don't need that so I didn't do it for that. I didn't come wearing that suit so it changes the game a bit. Do you understand? A singer named Trace Atkins had #1 album and a #1 single from that show. I do not think that will happen for me , I'm not that stupid. I learned things I didn't even know I knew on that show. So that was worth it. I'm on TV big deal !! I did Pop/Opera so I could get a head start on Promo for HCTB in europe. I went do a different country every week that was on the air. I always do things for a reason other than what it appears to be, again , do you understand? Method to the madness .
M
M

M

Evil One
15 Jan 2011, 13:51
It's never hurt anyone who has done the show unless you come off like a Jerk. I won't.
But isn't it risky that they may try to edit it out of context so you come off looking like a jerk? :shrug:
never been a one trick pony.
Just a Red one. :twisted:

carole
15 Jan 2011, 13:56
I will not make a habit of doing anymore ! I can tell you that . It might help me get a show I want to do for History Channel . It's a documentary on music. It can open doors to different venues. I was a game show host, rocker,on Broadway, film, TV, never been a one trick pony. I like the experience of doing different things. Everyone one of those things have lead to the opening of another door. One Big door Jim, another rocky Horror and the list goes on. You just don't know. You meet different people with different backgrounds, exchange ideas, but most of all you go into something like that to open up yourself to learn new things. That is the point of life, to Learn.
Yes, most people think that a show like that will change their life. Most do come for the exposure . Looking to get a faded light to shine again. it won't do that for them. I don't need that so I didn't do it for that. I didn't come wearing that suit so it changes the game a bit. Do you understand? A singer named Trace Atkins had #1 album and a #1 single from that show. I do not think that will happen for me , I'm not that stupid. I learned things I didn't even know I knew on that show. So that was worth it. I'm on TV big deal !! I did Pop/Opera so I could get a head start on Promo for HCTB in europe. I went do a different country every week that was on the air. I always do things for a reason other than what it appears to be, again , do you understand? Method to the madness .
M
M

M

That's great Meat that you enjoyed the experience and learned new things. It's always good to experience different things.

Carole

Wario
15 Jan 2011, 13:58
M
M

M

validated points. Imo, the best thing you ever did outside music and crazy in Alabama was the outer limits episode. id like to see you try more TV

CarylB
15 Jan 2011, 14:06
No, I haven't read any of your lengthy posts yet. :-P

That surprises me given your apparent familiarity with my style and phraseology :-P

You meet different people with different backgrounds, exchange ideas, but most of all you go into something like that to open up yourself to learn new things. That is the point of life, to Learn .... (Most) Looking to get a faded light to shine again. it won't do that for them. I don't need that so I didn't do it for that.

Your strength, and imo the reason why your light doesn't fade :-)

I'm sure we'll see some humour :lol: .. but I'm equally sure that they won't edit out what contributes to your team's success each episode ;)

Caryl

Vickip
15 Jan 2011, 14:32
M

That's excellent Meat :))

Vickip
15 Jan 2011, 14:35
M

I'm sure it was worth it Meat ... and I'm really looking forward to seeing it :-)

Vickip
15 Jan 2011, 14:39
M
M

M

That's an excellent point .. I understand completely :-)

Sarge
15 Jan 2011, 15:33
It's never hurt anyone who has done the show unless you come off like a Jerk. [...] A singer named Trace Atkins had #1 album and a #1 single from that show.

I have only seen parts of it as I can't endure an entire show. Trace Adkins appeared like a rather quiet, likeable chap compared to some of the other participants. Maybe that's why it worked. From what I recall there were lots of annoying fights and often people's egos seemed to be more important than the tasks and the charities. That's why I don't like watching those shows. It's about conflict, competition and failure and some people behave in a way that you'll lose any respect and admiration you might have had for them.

I did Pop/Opera so I could get a head start on Promo for HCTB in europe. I went do a different country every week that was on the air.

HCTB was never mentioned on Popstar to Operastar and you performed an old song - it was a good, funny performance though. You worked hard, traveled around the world, there were countless interviews but who got to hear the songs? Only a few people, mostly journalists and a handful of lucky fans, some of them didn't even care like that journalist who said her life was too busy to listen to albums. Did you reach the people? Those who would appreciate the album? Europe didn't get a live performance of a HCTB song when the album was released. I remember a single interview (with Ultimate Guitar, as far as I remember) in which you extensively talked about the music - that was interesting and fun to read and caught my attention more than the repetitive references to Patrick and Rob Cavallo's merits. People have to hear the music. It's more the song and / or the way it's performed that attracts people than promo talk. When it comes to promoting HCTB, I missed the singer Meat Loaf. Sorry if this appears a bit sassy but that's how I feel about it.

Evil One
15 Jan 2011, 15:39
It's about conflict, competition and failure and some people behave in a way that you'll lose any respect and admiration you might have had for them.
I do wonder how many of those who've gone on the regular UK Apprentice have ruined a potential business career. :shock:

CarylB
15 Jan 2011, 15:49
HCTB was never mentioned on Popstar to Operastar and you performed an old song - it was a good, funny performance though. You worked hard, traveled around the world,

And by appearing on the programme Meat was based in the UK for all those weeks, presumably at the expense of the TV company. Meat said at the time it was part of a promotion package .. and to me made good business sense.

there were countless interviews but who got to hear the songs? Only a few people, mostly journalists and a handful of lucky fans, some of them didn't even care like that journalist who said her life was too busy to listen to albums.

But she was in the minority surely. Meat's strategy of making those who were going to review the album in the media actually listened to it before doing so resulted in a pattern of generally very good and positive reviews. That's what I observed anyway. It was a different way of doing it, and imo it had a positive effect.

Caryl

Sarge
15 Jan 2011, 16:06
Meat's strategy of making those who were going to review the album in the media actually listened to it before doing so resulted in a pattern of generally very good and positive reviews.

Who cares about reviews? Who reads music magazines from cover to cover these days? I don't (anymore). "You can't get the sound from a story in a magazine", Billy Joel used to sing. I didn't become a Meat Loaf fan because someone wrote about how awesome he was - I had to see and hear him.

CarylB
15 Jan 2011, 16:21
You don't think that perhaps a groundswell of excellent reviews can help an album get the support it needs in terms of being played? Los Angeloser made the BBC playlist for 3 weeks, and that wasn't surely down to massive sales figures. I'd think that people who get newspapers and magazines would notice reviews, and whilst I'm not sying all will be persuaded and committed to buying an album with a good review, I think the converse may be the case and that reviews which are not positive and enthusiastic could tend to put off the less fervent fans.

However, this is rather off-topic, and Meat has explained why he chose to appear on Celebrity Apprentice.

Caryl

AndrewG
15 Jan 2011, 17:15
Although some of it off topic I know, I agree with most things Sarge has posted here. I don't think it's sassy at all. I want to hear music and not read about it. :up:

fan
15 Jan 2011, 18:06
I don`t understand the discussion! Meat ia an adult and he knows what he
does! He is a sensitive man and I trust his feelings! I´m proud of his decision!
And I wish him all my best!!
I´m sad that I can`t see it in Germany!

Fire Ball
16 Jan 2011, 01:19
I have only seen parts of it as I can't endure an entire show. Trace Adkins appeared like a rather quiet, likeable chap compared to some of the other participants. Maybe that's why it worked. From what I recall there were lots of annoying fights and often people's egos seemed to be more important than the tasks and the charities. That's why I don't like watching those shows. It's about conflict, competition and failure and some people behave in a way that you'll lose any respect and admiration you might have had for them.

HCTB was never mentioned on Popstar to Operastar and you performed an old song - it was a good, funny performance though. You worked hard, traveled around the world, there were countless interviews but who got to hear the songs? Only a few people, mostly journalists and a handful of lucky fans, some of them didn't even care like that journalist who said her life was too busy to listen to albums. Did you reach the people? Those who would appreciate the album? Europe didn't get a live performance of a HCTB song when the album was released. I remember a single interview (with Ultimate Guitar, as far as I remember) in which you extensively talked about the music - that was interesting and fun to read and caught my attention more than the repetitive references to Patrick and Rob Cavallo's merits. People have to hear the music. It's more the song and / or the way it's performed that attracts people than promo talk. When it comes to promoting HCTB, I missed the singer Meat Loaf. Sorry if this appears a bit sassy but that's how I feel about it.

There were some shows but the Record co. would not bring over the band ,any of them, I know it seems so easy from where you are . It isn't , Went to 7 countries in Europe and a ton of press in all of those countries and mostly all positive . It is really easy to be a monday morning quaterback. On the next record sarge you pay for the band to come over and we will play. You Sit on your couch and write all you want but before you pass judgement know the facts. We wanted to play live. Never said pop/opera did anything for HCTB. only had to work 1 day a week . Would travel to Europe on Monday every week and come back thursday. Read what I said. Not gonna do this anymore. It's a stupid conversation , talking to someone who's ideas of what should have happened and what is the real world for me . Sarge Think want ever you want. I don't care. Your feet are stuck in the sand.Your head is in the clouds. I paid out of my pocket for all the shows we did in the states. Sarge we came and had a great tour I did the best I could given what I had to work with as for as promo . Looks like you think you could do better ... Then go out and do it dude. !! I'm behind you all the way !! The record co never gave me what I needed and believe me I did not just sit there and take it I fought them all the way. It all seems real easy from your computer.

Meat

fan
16 Jan 2011, 01:37
You reach me and thousands others in Europe! Your tour was so fantastic!!
Don`t discuss so much!! I can`t say it all in english I want in this time but
I know almost there are someone who want to say bad things but nothing are
real!
Good luck for today evening!!!
K.

duke knooby
16 Jan 2011, 01:41
i still think surf's up would fit the setlist beautifully btw ;)

hint hint

fan
16 Jan 2011, 01:45
Please read it! See and speak with you in Manchester! You rocked thousands of people! You was great I can`t find words! And the people behind me and there were thousands ,believe me, felt the same!!

Sarge
16 Jan 2011, 02:48
It's really difficult to exchange opinions on this forum sometimes... Maybe I should have better remembered my earlier post about self-censorship... :silence:

Meat, I know it's not easy (I worked in marketing for a while) and I didn't "pass judgement". I described how I perceived something, I didn't intend to give advice and I don't want you to feel as if you had to justify what you do. Please don't mistake an opinion for judgement or for being a "monday-morning quaterback" and don't regard posts like that as an attack on you.

As I said in earlier discussions, we often don't know the background, e.g. what you just revealed about the issue of covering the costs. It's great that you provide us with such info from time to time and I'm sure you know that we appreciate that.

Sarge we came and had a great tour I did the best I could given what I had to work with as for as promo . Looks like you think you could do better ... Then go out and do it dude. !!

I never said the tour wasn't good promo (I referred to the time when the album came out), most of the footage of the current tour I've seen on YouTube would have made me go to a show if there had been any concerts over here. I never claimed that I "could do better" - and I'm not a dude. ;)

AndrewG
16 Jan 2011, 02:58
Sarge Think want ever you want. I don't care.

But you do care otherwise you wouldn't respond and defend yourself. I don't think Sarge is saying she could do better. She is simply wanting to see what you do best and that is perform the music. From the shows I saw in December, I think you were on the best form I've seen and heard since the nineties! You looked ecstatic, absolutely in the zone, enjoying the music and the shows so much. Stunning deliveries of the songs and a band, my god, I've never heard better and yes I do think you are responsible for that too!

I don't believe Sarge is attacking you at all. She simply wants the world to know and remember you for what you are so good at and that is performing the songs rather than being "another celebrity" and only talking about the music if you see what I mean.

Please don't think so negatively of your fans. If we write about our frustrations here, it's not so much an attack on you it's simply how things come across to us. You are right, we don't know the ins and out but that doesn't mean we should be quiet I think and not have opinions.

Please if you come back to the UK seek out the tv show Jools Holland on the BBC, I think you would like performing on there, all the artists seem to have a great time and it's real music, even if it is just you performing with Jools on piano without the band. I think it would be great.

AndrewG
16 Jan 2011, 03:04
Please read it! See and speak with you in Manchester! You rocked thousands of people! You was great I can`t find words! And the people behind me and there were thousands ,believe me, felt the same!!

The audience reception at the UK shows was out of this world.

LisaT
16 Jan 2011, 03:10
Please if you come back to the UK seek out the tv show Jools Holland on the BBC, I think you would like performing on there, all the artists seem to have a great time and it's real music, even if it is just you performing with Jools on piano without the band. I think it would be great.

Absolutely Andrew! That is a show that Meat could really shine on, because it is all about the MUSIC, with no frills. He would do GREAT on that show!

Fire Ball
16 Jan 2011, 10:55
Absolutely Andrew! That is a show that Meat could really shine on, because it is all about the MUSIC, with no frills. He would do GREAT on that show!

I tried to work something out with that show, but I couldn't get on. Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time . Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old.
It makes me want to pull my hair out. I go out and work hard for them just hoping it will make them want to do more . They don't. They don't want to work anymore. Used to be they would listen and follow through on some of my ideas. , now they have an excuse for why they can't do any of my ideas. They only want to do it their way . The way they do every band . I'm not every band. To them I am nothing but another a can of soup.
I wasn't really attacking sarge, just saying that it is real easy to sit on the sideline and judge and speculate . Believe me almost everything that is written on here about promo I tried and things that you guys never thought of. Nobody cares, they are not selling records. So they want to do as little as possible . At least the UK did TV ads. The US wouldn't . I told them my audience is not where you are putting your money (very little).I thought Management was going to blow a Gasget. If the UK was bad , the US and Australia were worse. New Zealand did pretty good , Germany fair . I did get a gold record in the UK for Hang cool so it keeps my streak alive, every record in the UK has gone gold. If it doesn't have "Hell" in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 . If I would have it would have been a negative for a lot of people but in the end would have sold more records . When I refused ,it pissed them off. So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS. I know ,you say "oh no" not that. Good news for some of you though. The songs go with the title and PATRICK is no where around. LOL
To Sarge, I really wasn't angry. Just wanted you to know I wasn't waiting on someone to do something. I was out kicking on their doors. Working really really hard. DUDE :-) I CALL EVERYONE DUDE NOW, I think I'm still in the 80's.

The best to all of you ( even Evil one) I like" Holy one " better . Be "evil one" on the Rockman site and "Holy one" here. Yes that's it!!!

Meat

Wario
16 Jan 2011, 11:00
I tried to work something out with that show, but I couldn't get on. Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time . Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single .

Damn. Old people are being prosecuted left and right.

Virgin records/ MCA seemed to do everything right back in the 90's.

Didnt they get Hudson theater filmed in 1993 (which hasnt been released) and put out the Live around the world compilation?

You were what, 40 something in 1994, that was still old and they still put out a decent publicized single or five. I miss them lol.

I really think SNL couldve helped since you havent been on SNL since 1978 lol. and that broke BOOH!

MeatGrl1
16 Jan 2011, 11:03
Thanks for this Meat :metal: !!!
I think it's really sad that record companys do that, so what if your old, that doesn't take away that your still an artist and have ideas of your own and can still create, to me that sounds very narrow minded of them just to dismiss you like that, not alone rude.

And I look forward to hearing the duet with you and Patti, bet it'll be stunning as always :cool: :up: !!

I tried to work something out with that show, but I couldn't get on. Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time . Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old. It makes me want to pull my hair out. I go out and work hard for them just hoping it will make them want to do more . They don't. They don't want to work anymore, used to be they would listen and follow through on some , now they have an excuse for why they can't do any of my ideas. They only want to do it their way . The way they do every band . I'm not every band. To them I am a can of soup. I wasn't really attacking sarge, just saying that it is real easy to sit on the sideline and judge and speculate . Believe me almost everything that is written on here about promo I tried and things that you guys never thought of. nobody cares, they are not selling records. I did get a gold record in the UK for Hang cool so it keeps my streak alive, every record in the UK has gone gold. If it doesn't have hell in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 . when I refused it pissed them off. So now I've come with a Title with hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs one we are going to do one like NINE INCH NAILS. I know you say "oh no" not that.
The songs go with the title and PATRICK is no where around. LOL
To Sarge, I really wasn't angry. Just wanted you to know I wasn't waiting on someone to do something. I was out kicking on their doors. Working really really hard. DUDE :-) I CALL EVERYONE DUDE NOW, I think I'm still in the 80's.

The best to all of you ( even Evil one) I like" Holy one " better . Be "evil one" on the rockman site and "Holy one" here. Yes that's it.

Meat

fan
16 Jan 2011, 11:09
Thanks for your often words!!

Evil One
16 Jan 2011, 11:10
Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker
Sounds promising.

PATRICK is no where around. LOL
Thank ~~~~ for that!

I like" Holy one " better
Only at Christmas time. :cool:

fan
16 Jan 2011, 11:28
I have so many thoughts Iwant to write you but it needs time to find all english words to say them right!
But I can understand you absolutely!

Sarge
16 Jan 2011, 11:35
They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. [...] They only want to do it their way .

That's a pity, appears like meeting a brick wall all the time. I thought that's why bands sign contracts with record companies - to get support? But then again, I'm a naive idealist sometimes... :twisted:

meaning old.

I wonder why the business is that obsessed with youth. I spent the last night watching Keith Richards videos. :cool:

If it doesn't have hell in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 . when I refused it pissed them off.

I want the job of the person(s) who suggested that. I wish I'd get paid for coming up with the same idea again and again. :))

Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs one we are going to do one like NINE INCH NAILS. I know you say "oh no" not that.

That sounds interesting.

The songs go with the title and PATRICK is no where around. LOL

:lawl: I'd like to hug for this.

Fire Ball
16 Jan 2011, 11:37
Damn. Old people are being prosecuted left and right.

Virgin records/ MCA seemed to do everything right back in the 90's.

Didnt they get Hudson theater filmed in 1993 (which hasnt been released) and put out the Live around the world compilation?

You were what, 40 something in 1994, that was still old and they still put out a decent publicized single or five. I miss them lol.

I really think SNL couldve helped since you havent been on SNL since 1978 lol. and that broke BOOH!

Did it in 83 as well with Tim Curry, In the old days SNL would count for 50,000 records it just doesn't sell much anymore. I would have done it for sure. You need a hot record to get on and we just didn't get enough radio. Not giving up though. I want to try " Love somebody" on AC over here. Why not , if the record co will do it.
M

Evil One
16 Jan 2011, 11:39
I wonder why the business is that obsessed with youth.I do wonder sometimes. Their reason for existing is to make money, so why would they not fully utilise all the possible revenue streams? It's just bad business. :roll:

MeatGrl1
16 Jan 2011, 11:42
Did it in 83 as well with Tim Curry, In the old days SNL would count for 50,000 records it just doesn't sell much anymore. I would have done it for sure. You need a hot record to get on and we just didn't get enough radio. Not giving up though. I want to try " Love somebody" on AC over here. Why not , if the record co will do it.
M

That sounds really cool, I like that song :cool:, hope it works out and was that thing with Tim the Meat And Tim's Rocky Horror Shop ?

:lol:, love that still makes me laugh :)) :metal: !!

CarylB
16 Jan 2011, 11:53
Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time ..... it is real easy to sit on the sideline and judge and speculate . Believe me almost everything that is written on here about promo I tried and things that you guys never thought of.

Never doubted that. I remember you saying how frustrated you were, particularly in the USA, and that you'd delivered an album skewed to a younger demographic, but they only considered the older demographic because they were the people who had bought records before. "It’s like a conveyor belt and they just keep saying, 'Oh, we don’t know how to do that.’ And I’m going, ‘Oh my Lord, help me out!'"

I did get a gold record in the UK for Hang cool so it keeps my streak alive, every record in the UK has gone gold. So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS.

:D :D :D

The best to all of you ( even Evil one) I like" Holy one " better . Be "evil one" on the Rockman site and "Holy one" here. Yes that's it!!!

Meat

Leopards wouldn't lose their spots even if we started calling them lions .. :lol:

Caryl

CarylB
16 Jan 2011, 12:04
I do wonder sometimes. Their reason for existing is to make money, so why would they not fully utilise all the possible revenue streams? It's just bad business. :roll:

It is .. but many industries don't exemplify good business, and record companies are no exception, far from it imo. They don't seem to have grasped how to manage the changes forced on their industry, nor to be able to design strategies to for different groups of artists. They seem happy to enjoy the money they make from contracts which are skewed to benefit them with the wave of new young artists, rather than exploit all opportunities; quick and high volume small returns from downloads in a crowded market, then on to the next one, because there are a hundred more waiting.

Caryl

Wario
16 Jan 2011, 12:35
M

dunno. DYELS is a fantastic song, but I dunno seeing as Jessica SImpson did and it may be views as a 60 year old man singing jessica simpson.

Why not hit them hard with california? lol I know its soooo offensive to prudes and the amish, but it'll make huge publicity.

Evil One
16 Jan 2011, 12:42
Why not hit them hard with california? lol I know its soooo offensive to prudes and the amish, but it'll make huge publicity.
Because there are many prudes in the US who will complain incredibly loudly. Would you really want to see Meat get barbecued at the stake? :shock:

Wario
16 Jan 2011, 12:56
Because there are many prudes in the US who will complain incredibly loudly. Would you really want to see Meat get barbecued at the stake? :shock:

if gets him to add California to the set then yes :))

(lol no)

Sarge
16 Jan 2011, 12:57
lol I know its soooo offensive to prudes and the amish

I thought the Amish don't have radios. :??:

CarylB
16 Jan 2011, 13:28
I thought the Amish don't have radios. :??:

:lol: good point!

But given that to even get the album into some stores in the US the track had to be removed, it would be an odd choice for a single imo if Meat's intention was to try for a hit with a single. Even with a possible aim of getting a younger demographic, surely you'd want to maximise sales and get airtime. In the USA it could alienate swathes of middle-America, and would be less likely to get airplay. The kind of negative publicity it could attract, whilst it may benefit some rappers, could well mitigate against sales of a new Meat Loaf album, which I'd have expected Meat to want to sell to the widest demographic. At this stage in his career I'd have thought he'd want to ADD a younger market whilst maintaining his existing one.

Caryl

Fire Ball
16 Jan 2011, 13:55
dunno. DYELS is a fantastic song, but I dunno seeing as Jessica SImpson did and it may be views as a 60 year old man singing jessica simpson.

No one knows she even did it, it was the last song on some TV show album. You wouldn't know it was the same song. It never went to Radio as a single.
M

Wario
16 Jan 2011, 14:01
No one knows she even did it, it was the last song on some TV show album. You wouldn't know it was the same song.
M
Hmmmm. well whatever the record company decides, hopefully some more 2010 live tracks (IE the Boneyard Medley or Took the Words) or a Case De Carne recording of Bad For Good as a b-side.

AndrewG
16 Jan 2011, 14:36
You were what, 40 something in 1994, that was still old....

I wonder how many people on the forum you have insulted with that one.... :lol:

I wonder why the business is that obsessed with youth. I spent the last night watching Keith Richards videos. :cool:

Because youth=sex and sex sells. However when Cheryl Cole gets nominated for a Brit for best single you know that all hope is lost for the record industry. Sure they can make songs sound slick and catchy these days but stand in front of experienced artists performing such as Meat or Springsteen.... there is a BIG difference in my opinion! Not seen a young artist perform anywhere near those two. Most young artists I've seen on stage or on TV seem to miss the heart, the passion, the life experience to make the words sound convincing. On top of this almost everyone who auditions for daft shows like Idol or X Factor seem to want the celebrity status before they actually want to do the work. It's :nuts:, the world doesn't owe these guys anything.

I want the job of the person(s) who suggested that. I wish I'd get paid for coming up with the same idea again and again. :))

Ah me too!

Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs.
:cool: :up: Thank you!

razorball2002
16 Jan 2011, 14:53
NIN...That is definitely cool! The Fragile is one of the best concept albums of all times, but it takes a while to enter in this Reznorish world. It failed commercially. .. Cant wait to hear that next Meat album!!

CarylB
16 Jan 2011, 14:55
However when Cheryl Cole gets nominated for a Brit for best single you know that all hope is lost for the record industry. Sure they can make songs sound slick and catchy these days

Yes, reminds me of the Simpsons' parody (and parody is so popular at the moment) when they feed the caterwauling voices of Bart and his friends through a sound machine that makes them sound like 'N Sync! Today they frequently peddle the art of recording technology rather than the artist.

but stand in front of experienced artists performing such as Meat or Springsteen.... there is a BIG difference in my opinion! Not seen a young artist perform anywhere near those two. Most young artists I've seen on stage or on TV seem to miss the heart, the passion, the life experience to make the words sound convincing.

Much of the time they simply mime .. but again, at many of these shows I doubt anyone could hear them over the screaming, even if they were singing!

On top of this almost everyone who auditions for daft shows like Idol or X Factor seem to want the celebrity status before they actually want to do the work. It's :nuts:, the world doesn't owe these guys anything.

And Simon Cowell flashes his impossibly white laminates and laughs all the way to the bank!

Caryl

Vickip
16 Jan 2011, 15:03
Thanks for the information Meat. I'm sorry to hear that they treated you that way ... hopefully the record labels will get their acts together and do a better job supporting you once the new CD comes out

The new CD sounds exciting ... I can't wait to hear that duet with Patti :))

Sarge
16 Jan 2011, 15:36
Because youth=sex and sex sells. However when Cheryl Cole gets nominated for a Brit for best single you know that all hope is lost for the record industry. Sure they can make songs sound slick and catchy these days but stand in front of experienced artists performing such as Meat or Springsteen.... there is a BIG difference in my opinion! Not seen a young artist perform anywhere near those two. Most young artists I've seen on stage or on TV seem to miss the heart, the passion, the life experience to make the words sound convincing. On top of this almost everyone who auditions for daft shows like Idol or X Factor seem to want the celebrity status before they actually want to do the work. It's :nuts:, the world doesn't owe these guys anything.

The problem with X Factor, Idol and the like is that they usually don't produce artists who are creative on their own. What do they do on those shows most of the time? They sing covers. They don't give young talents enough time to grow, there's gonna be another show next year that has to produce another "star". :zzz:

A 68-year-old Carole King or 76-year-old Leonard Cohen impress me more than any talent show winner. What good are youth, good looks and perfect singing if neither the singer nor the song touches your heart?

As for youth and sex: I think Bruce Springsteen is more sexy than most of the young male singers that are popular these days. :))

P.S.: I'd watch Celebrity Apprentice, if Meat Meat and Dionne Warwick sang a duet on the show. ;)

CarylB
16 Jan 2011, 16:14
The problem with X Factor, Idol and the like is that they usually don't produce artists who are creative on their own. What do they do on those shows most of the time? They sing covers. They don't give young talents enough time to grow, there's gonna be another show next year that has to produce another "star". :zzz:

And those who might have some small spark of creativity, or at least ideas as to the direction they want to move in, seem to have these squashed. They may even get dropped with their contracts ended if they don't co-operate/agree with a company who just want a quick repeat of the previous formula whilst they get ready, as you say, to cash in on the next one, because the attendant publicity and exposure the show will give will ensure enough sales (arguably from people who aren't that interested in music as such) for them to make a profit.

What good are youth, good looks and perfect singing if neither the singer nor the song touches your heart?

None imo. That's why so many of us are Meat Loaf fans ;)

As for youth and sex: I think Bruce Springsteen is more sexy than most of the young male singers that are popular these days. :))

I'd agree with that .. as is Meat imo :-) Passion IS sexy. And both passion and sex are still alive and kicking even in old people of forty and beyond :lol: But like the fashion industry, they'll be chucking embryos on stage before we know it!

Caryl

LisaT
16 Jan 2011, 19:14
I want to try " Love somebody" on AC over here. Why not , if the record co will do it.
M

Excellent, I LOVE that song! :D

LisaT
16 Jan 2011, 19:17
No one knows she even did it, it was the last song on some TV show album. You wouldn't know it was the same song. It never went to Radio as a single.
M

I, for one, had never heard it before HCTB. And your version is so much better than hers imo.

meatfanforlife
16 Jan 2011, 19:28
Not sure if this has been suggested before or not Meat, but why not record and promote a new CD yourself? You have more than enough talent around you to do it, and put it out yourself as an indie label? Artists like Toby Keith have done it with amazing success. That way, you dont have to deal with horrid record labels and you can have the freedom to do what you want and promote the hell out of a record.

Just keep doin what you do, because we all love it!

The Flying Mouse
16 Jan 2011, 22:24
Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old.

:twisted: Thank you :mrgreen:
So not putting out a single was not your game plan, but the record companies?
I was going nutso that there was no single, but I remember there being a feeling of "Meat knows best" going around.
Meat did know best.
He wanted a single :up:
Validation feels good :lawl:

It makes me want to pull my hair out. I go out and work hard for them just hoping it will make them want to do more . They don't. They don't want to work anymore. Used to be they would listen and follow through on some of my ideas. , now they have an excuse for why they can't do any of my ideas. They only want to do it their way . The way they do every band . I'm not every band. To them I am nothing but another a can of soup.

Can't you get someone with a little more get up and go?
No offence here Meat, but I imagine that there is a train of thought in the music industry that you're only as good as your last battle (in sales, not how it sounds) and if you don't get multi platinum on this album, they're not going to spend the promo money on the next.

That means sales suffer again on the next album, prompting them to spend even less.
At that rate you'll be lucky to end your amazing career getting a silver record and a $5 off any purchase voucher at Starbucks.

Couldn't Have Said It Better, Bat III, HCTB, none of them have had the impact they could have had with the right people behind them.

If it doesn't have "Hell" in the title they don't want to work it.

I honestly do sympathise with you about that.
It's what got Bela Lugosi bad on drugs.How the hell do you do any relevent work when everything is measured by the fact you played Dracula in 1931?

and PATRICK is no where around. LOL

He got some leave huh? :mrgreen:

I CALL EVERYONE DUDE NOW, I think I'm still in the 80's.

You ain't the only one :bleh: , but I believe the word is going to come back into usage, and in a big way :yep:

Julie in the rv mirror
17 Jan 2011, 02:15

True. Although, I have been happy to see the last few seasons on Idol, anyway, contestants being allowed to play instruments and show a bit more originality. It's even mentioned if they write their own songs. While the "best" contestant doesn't necesarily win, at least the others get some exposure, which I think is good.

Oh, HELL yes! :mrgreen: ;)

Getting back also to AndrewG's comments, a while back, I saw Beyonce perform with Tina Turner on some awards show. Now, Beyonce is a beautiful girl, and very talented, but IMO, Tina blew her off the stage (in spike heels, no less!).

AndrewG
17 Jan 2011, 02:28
Getting back also to AndrewG's comments, a while back, I saw Beyonce perform with Tina Turner on some awards show. Now, Beyonce is a beautiful girl, and very talented, but IMO, Tina blew her off the stage (in spike heels, no less!).

Another obvious example I always thought was with Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge when they performed Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart as a tribute to Janis Joplin at the Grammys in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY
Take a look right. At the start it seems Joss Stone isn't too bad at the Cry Baby song, decent enough entertainment you would think, but then when Melissa starts singing Piece of my Heart, on a completely different level in my opinion. :shock: :shock:
AND here Melissa is not long after recovering from chemotherapy from her cancer! I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than Janis herself sing that song any better. Stunning!! She lives the words, feels them, owns them. Listen to that scream at 4.50. :shock::shock: Sorry but Joss should have staid home that evening. :lol:

Sarge
17 Jan 2011, 02:39

Reminds me of a Rolling Stones concert I watched recently. Mick Jagger singing a duet with Justin Timberlake. Jagger was so much cooler, sang better, even danced better than Timberlake. I thought: "Justin, you still got a lot to learn." :))

snider22
17 Jan 2011, 02:43
Another obvious example I always thought was with Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge when they performed Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart as a tribute to Janis Joplin at the Grammys in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_j3TDhc8vY
Take a look right. At the start it seems Joss Stone isn't too bad at the Cry Baby song, decent enough entertainment you would think, but then when Melissa starts singing Piece of my Heart, on a completely different level in my opinion. :shock: :shock:
AND here Melissa is not long after recovering from chemotherapy from her cancer! I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than Janis herself sing that song any better. Stunning!! She lives the words, feels them, owns them. Listen to that scream at 4.50. :shock::shock: Sorry but Joss should have staid home that evening. :lol:

Gotta say that I agree with you on this. Joss did ok with Cry Baby, But Melissa justs has so much more stage presence than Joss. Melissa should have been on stage by alone for Piece of My Heart because quite frankly she left Joss in the dust.

Julie in the rv mirror
17 Jan 2011, 02:54
Wow, that was amazing! :shock: I think Melissa is great. :cool:

I could only find audio (with still pictures) of Beyonce and Tina, but it's still cool to hear. Tina looks unbelievable for 69 (or so- at the time)! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoVrUx1sts8

Sarge
17 Jan 2011, 02:58
Another obvious example I always thought was with Joss Stone and Melissa Etheridge when they performed Cry Baby and Piece of My Heart as a tribute to Janis Joplin at the Grammys in 2005. [...] Take a look right. At the start it seems Joss Stone isn't too bad at the Cry Baby song, decent enough entertainment you would think, but then when Melissa starts singing Piece of my Heart, on a completely different level in my opinion. :shock: :shock: [...] I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than Janis herself sing that song any better. Stunning!! She lives the words, feels them, owns them. Listen to that scream at 4.50. :shock::shock: Sorry but Joss should have staid home that evening. :lol:

Melissa rocks! That woman has something that many other singers lack these days - true passion. One of the greatest live performers ever. I travelled God knows where and slept at railway stations just to see her on stage. I'm sure Janis Joplin would have liked that performance. Joss Stone wasn't that bad but her voice wasn't powerful enough for that song.

Vickip
17 Jan 2011, 03:39
Maybe now would the perfect time to release a DVD of the tour (if one was filmed), when Meat is going to be appearing on Celebrity Apprentice.

If they promoted it properly, (even tying it in with his appearance on the show somehow) it could make people more interested in hearing HCTB after having seen him perform somes of the songs live. It would also let people know how great Meat is doing right now, and get them even more excited about the possibility of another new CD.

Wario
17 Jan 2011, 10:29
M

Ive been thinking about that sentiment a bit lately, Why in holy mother of hell did SNL decide to sniff you during 1993? Id consider AFL and Bat 2 a hot record. There's no reason what-so-ever we have no Anything for Love SNL performance. Which is really quite sad.

plus in 1993 Chris Farley was in the cast. They could've had a field day with the script that night, being as you two looked alike (more so then you Jack Black).

lorenzoduke
18 Jan 2011, 00:57
M

That's the one song from the album that everyone I've played it for - even people who aren't remotely into your thing, absolutely loves. It seems to me like a godsend to all the record companies who've been trying to market you to the single market with ballads for years. Mainstream enough to be a hit, passionate enough not to alienate longtime fans. A missed opportunity if it doesn't get sent to radio, but a damn good song imo.

Thanks for making another one of my favorite albums of all time. Hang Cool might not be for everyone, but I love it as much if not more than anything you've ever done. I'm sure that puts me in the idiot category with some people around here, but ~~~~ it, I know what I like. And yes, that includes the Patrick story.

Sarge
18 Jan 2011, 03:06
That's the one song from the album that everyone I've played it for - even people who aren't remotely into your thing, absolutely loves. [...] And yes, that includes the Patrick story.

That song and Patrick are two of the three things that almost made me hate HCTB although I like most of the songs on that album. Meat's singing on DYELS is awesome, I would have liked to hear it on a more distinctive, outstanding ballad. The song itself does nothing for me. It doesn't touch me emotionally at all and it sounds too much like stuff I've heard a thousand times before. :( It might appeal to a number of people, maybe it could even become a hit but I have to skip it every time I listen to the album. Having to hear it right after the fantastic Song Of Madness is kind of a letdown.

suzieq
18 Jan 2011, 04:20
That song and Patrick are two of the three things that almost made me hate HCTB although I like most of the songs on that album. Meat's singing on DYELS is awesome, I would have liked to hear it on a more distinctive, outstanding ballad. The song itself does nothing for me. It doesn't touch me emotionally at all and it sounds too much like stuff I've heard a thousand times before. :( It might appeal to a number of people, maybe it could even become a hit but I have to skip it every time I listen to the album. Having to hear it right after the fantastic Song Of Madness is kind of a letdown.

I am the polar opposite of this view. The one thing I will agree with this post about is the snippet "Meat's singing on DYELS is awesome". :twisted:

Sarge
18 Jan 2011, 05:02
I knew that you'd say that. :)) Songs like DYELS always appear to me as if somebody said: "Hey, we have to put something on the album that makes women buy it." :twisted: I just listened to For Crying Out Loud. Now that's what I call a great ballad. Anybody could sing DYELS, but I dare to say that only a few people are able to sing a song like FCOL properly.

stretch37
18 Jan 2011, 05:40
Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old.
It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Thats ridiculous...I hope you keep fighting and get them to take their heads out of their asses.. Maybe you should tell them to go see one of your performances before they tell you your too old to spend time promoting! aaah that makes so mad!

Sarge
18 Jan 2011, 06:01
Maybe you should tell them to go see one of your performances before they tell you your too old to spend time promoting!

I sometimes wonder if there are still people in the business who are really interested in music or if they focus on numbers only. Maybe it has become more difficult to work with record companies, and maybe it's not easy for people who work for them to make certain decisions, now that many labels belong to large companies like Universal, Sony, Warner... :shrug:

stretch37
18 Jan 2011, 06:24
So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS.

Thats really cool !

JennaG
18 Jan 2011, 09:38
To them I am nothing but another a can of soup.

I really, really love that quote. :D

I'm sorry your record company are like that towards you but unfortunately the music industry these days seems to be as much about looking 'right' (young, skinny, with a hollywood smile and a perfect hairdo) than it is to have any real talent. After all who really needs to be able to sing these days when you've got things like autotune?

I believe there are still a few artists who actually care about the music and putting on a damn good show but these people also tend to be the kind of artists who have been in the industry for years and thinking about it now they don't release singles either. Perhaps they're coming across the same thing that you are.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the new album and reading all about how you get on in Celebrity Apprentice (since I'm not sure if it's on over here).

nikox1
18 Jan 2011, 12:51
you are right in doing all the shows you can Meat, because at the end of the day, it keeps you in the public eye. and thats the way the world is these days, you gotta be seen to be heard. 2010 was a good year = HCTB is a strong album, and then the tour was fantastic also!! , so you should be happy and proud:D. now news of a new album coming:D:D, great stuff!!

as for the record company thing? well fair play for clearing it up, but to be fair most people have posted plenty on this subject [ me included ] and its true what you have said. it comes down to ageism, old = no radio play.

suzieq
19 Jan 2011, 00:45
I knew that you'd say that. :))

I'm consistant. :D

Anybody could sing DYELS.

Jessica Simpson couldn't. :barf:

stretch37
19 Jan 2011, 02:29
I sometimes wonder if there are still people in the business who are really interested in music or if they focus on numbers only. Maybe it has become more difficult to work with record companies, and maybe it's not easy for people who work for them to make certain decisions, now that many labels belong to large companies like Universal, Sony, Warner... :shrug:

Ya Sarge, i think your right....And having to go though that many layers makes it hard to break the rules...for somebody like Meat who wants to try new ideas.

the new metal band Linkin Park, a hugely successful band that is highly creative and ever changing similar to Meat, created their own record label and have done quite well with it. Maybe give Mike Chinoda a call?? ;)

stretch37
19 Jan 2011, 03:49
If there's anyone who can break the cycle of older artists not being supported as they should, its Meat. He's a figher, and has more ambition i think than a lot of artists from his age group to get the job done.

Vickip
19 Jan 2011, 15:54
If there's anyone who can break the cycle of older artists not being supported as they should, its Meat. He's a figher, and has more ambition i think than a lot of artists from his age group to get the job done.

Right you are :))

Dave
19 Jan 2011, 16:12
I know its soooo offensive to prudes and the amish, but it'll make huge publicity.

Because the word "dick" was found offensive to people like Tipper Gore, so they push to have the word "banned" and "stickered" as offensive. Thanks to her and her friends, artists who wish to distribute their work in America have their hands tied. It is not mainstream America who are the prudes, it is the select few who wish to "protect" us from our constitutionally granted First Amendment rights. The word "dick" in that reference is a word that if broadcast in that context will cost the radio station a monetary fine by the FCC in America. There would be nothing worse than hearing a Meat Loaf song with a WalMart "beep" in the middle of it.

Dave
19 Jan 2011, 16:21
In the USA it could alienate swathes of middle-America, and would be less likely to get airplay. The kind of negative publicity it could attract, whilst it may benefit some rappers, could well mitigate against sales of a new Meat Loaf album, which I'd have expected Meat to want to sell to the widest demographic.

Sorry, I have to cut this off at the pass. The argument about "middle America" being offended is utter nonsense. This his American history being re-written once again and I must remind people that it was not "middle America" that started the artistic witch hunt against offensive material in recorded media - the brunt of that battle came from the Parent's Music Resource Center (PMRC), who was lead by Tipper Gore (estranged wife of former Vice President Al Gore) and Susan Baker (wife of former President Ronald Reagan;s Chief of Staff James Baker). There were others who were influential and vocal in regard to music censorship and heavily involved with the PMRC in America. However, these were all known as the "Washington Wives" and absolutely do not represent "middle America." I live in middle America, and we do not uphold that belief system. Place the blame where it lies - not with where the populace says it should lie.

CarylB
19 Jan 2011, 17:09
Sorry, I have to cut this off at the pass. The argument about "middle America" being offended is utter nonsense.

Disagree by all means, and put your view .. even say it is "utter nonsense" if that's what you think and you consider it acceptable.

However, I was referring to middle-America not in geographic terms but as in conservative middle-of-the-road America, which is why I used a hyphen; people don't live there, it's a term I used to identify a conservative strata of society. I don't believe my view requires cutting off at the pass, even if it isn't the same as yours.

Tipper Gore et al may well have led the crusade against what they considered offensive material in recordings, but they seem to have the support of many conservative Americans, and it is the latter who I was suggesting would be offended, and whose comments I have seen.

To suggest I am re-writing "American history" is imo stretching things somewhat ..

Caryl

Evil One
19 Jan 2011, 17:16
It is scary when you think where the US may end up, especially with them having such influence over other countries. :roll:

CarylB
19 Jan 2011, 17:58
I don't think it's particularly scary. There are plenty of level headed, easy going and open-minded Americans. It's a huge, and hugely diverse country which hasn't done so badly this far, and what influences we take from their culture is really up to us. (The recent tragic events in Texas for eg are unlikely to influence our laws on gun control, arguably of more concern than barring a few words in recordings.) And some might argue that Europe is in danger of going too far in the opposite direction .. particuarly when you look at some of the stuff on cable! I doubt the most severe of American views on censorship are likely to turn back that tide here ;)

Caryl

LisaT
19 Jan 2011, 20:24
Jessica Simpson couldn't. :barf:

Aint that the truth!

allrevvedup
19 Jan 2011, 20:47
Reminds me of a Rolling Stones concert I watched recently. Mick Jagger singing a duet with Justin Timberlake. Jagger was so much cooler, sang better, even danced better than Timberlake. I thought: "Justin, you still got a lot to learn." :))

And the stones have subsequently worked with Jack White and Christina Aguilera on Shine a light, which shows that Jagger & Co. know that they have to remain 'hip' and to keep a young audience because they cannot maintain sales on their own.

I knew that you'd say that. :)) Songs like DYELS always appear to me as if somebody said: "Hey, we have to put something on the album that makes women buy it."

I agree entirely and it's been tapped into by many a record company and a&r man. stereotypically women more than men want to hear a ballad, sometimes it's like a switch off the brain action moving where you don't care if there's no plot, you just want to be entertained.

Nickelback tend to have a trend of releasing a rock single and then immediately followed by a (power) ballad. Aerosmith, and Steven Tyler in particular, have been pushing the pop ballad very hard in the faces of their fans (and if you want to find out how well that goes down, wander over to aeroforceone.com's message board). Even Staind more recently released All I want from their last album to help them reach a wider audience.

The point is that artists and bands, like any other business, need new money and they will go wherever they can to get it, even if it is at the risk of alienating their business.

As for the apprentice (you see I Can get back on topic :D) I would suggest Gary Busey will be recognised more for being on this show in the next 6 months than any of the films that he worked on.

I can't say I have very much interest in watching it at all, apart from knowing that Gene Simmons was previously on it and he is incredibly astute.

Dave
19 Jan 2011, 21:51
...it's a term I used to identify a conservative strata of society. I don't believe my view requires cutting off at the pass, even if it isn't the same as yours. Tipper Gore et al may well have led the crusade against what they considered offensive material in recordings, but they seem to have the support of many conservative Americans...

Again, you simply do not know what you are speaking of. Not only do people live in middle-America, such as myself, but also I consider myself of the American Conservative persuasion and let me tell you that what the world has been told about what the Conservatives believe and what a few blowhard ninnies who have been fortunate enough to receive above ample air time in mainstream media and have unjustly propounded as being "Conservative" are simply not the same thing. Either on purpose, or out of ignorance, you are misrepresenting a group that I am grouped in. The raw essence of American Conservationism is smaller government, less control, and more freedom - to include freedom of speech. The true Conservative movement in America (not that portrayed by FoxNews and the like) do not, will not, and never will support any movement that functions to increase governmental control over our lives. That is the simple truth of the matter. It is not mainstream America that is so uptight, it is a vocal minority who are speaking on behalf of a movement they truly do not understand.

Dave
19 Jan 2011, 21:54
(The recent tragic events in Texas for eg are unlikely to influence our laws on gun control, arguably of more concern than barring a few words in recordings.)

There has been no recent tragedy to come from Texas, save for Bush Jr's second term as President, of late. I believe you are speaking of Representative Giffords; however, she represents and is from Arizona - not Texas. They are geographically close, but are not the same state.

CarylB
19 Jan 2011, 22:22
There has been no recent tragedy to come from Texas, save for Bush Jr's second term as President, of late. I believe you are speaking of Representative Giffords; however, she represents and is from Arizona - not Texas. They are geographically close, but are not the same state.

Yes, it was Tucson, I apologise for the mistake; thank you for pointing it out.

As to my earlier comments, I repeat I am talking about conservative middle- America (I did not capitalise it) .. as in moderate, cautious, marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, style and manners. I was not referring to any political party or political movement; I do not know enough about American politics to discuss them. I repeat I was not referring to any geography, and explained this .. If the term can only be used to describe geography in the USA, mea culpa, but I was using the term as it is frequently used in my country ie to those of a conservative persuasion, not in political terms but in terms of their traditional values and resistance to changes they see as in some way harmful to the order, values and traditions they espouse. Such people are to be found in every country in the world. It's a mindset, not a political conviction or place where they live.

It seems we remain two countries divided by a common language, but I have explained what I meant.

In my view, there would be many middle thinking people who would probably find the language in California, (I'll make it clear I'm referring to the song and not the State) and the physical response it suggests in graphic terms, offensive. That's my view. You may not agree with it and think they would universally accept it without demur. Frankly I do not. It's not a fact, (unless it's released we will never know) but it's my view. Yours may be different. Neither is right or wrong, it's just opinon.

Caryl

Sarge
20 Jan 2011, 02:30
And the stones have subsequently worked with Jack White and Christina Aguilera on Shine a light, which shows that Jagger & Co. know that they have to remain 'hip' and to keep a young audience because they cannot maintain sales on their own.

Shine A Light also features Buddy Guy, Jack White is a musician who apparently is influenced by "old" music (see the documentary It Might Get Loud) and I doubt that a duet with Christina Aguilera during a live show really makes a big difference with regard to album sales. I don't think that the Stones depend on younger artists to "remain hip". They might not be as popular and influential as they were in the 1960s and 1970s but they've never had problems to attract an audience, people come to their shows in spite of high ticket prices and I think at this point in time they don't have to bother about being "hip". Meat's duet with Marion Raven appeared more as a deperate attempt to gain attention to me (regardless of who was responsible for that) than Mick Jagger singing with Christina Aguilera.

Aerosmith, and Steven Tyler in particular, have been pushing the pop ballad very hard in the faces of their fans

I rather listen to songs like Rag Doll :cool: than to I Don't Want To Miss A Thing and the like. (Isn't that a Diane Warren song, by the way? :?)

As for the apprentice (you see I Can get back on topic :D) I would suggest Gary Busey will be recognised more for being on this show in the next 6 months than any of the films that he worked on.

I hope that won't happen to Meat. :shock: I'd rather see him in another great movie like Fight Club or a mean little flick like Pelts than on Celebrity Apprentice. A world in which artists gain recognition rather via such TV shows than because of their actual talents is a sad one, in my opinion.

Elijah's way
20 Jan 2011, 04:27
Meat's duet with Marion Raven appeared more as a deperate attempt to gain attention to me (regardless of who was responsible for that) than Mick Jagger singing with Christina Aguilera.

Really!?!:roll: How do you figure that? that just makes no sense, Marion Raven isn't even famous.

Sarge
20 Jan 2011, 04:41
Really!?!:roll: How do you figure that? that just makes no sense, Marion Raven isn't even famous.

It does make sense, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. My first thought when I saw the IACBTM video was: "Who is that girl? Where is Patti? Oh, they obviously think the old man can't make it on his own anymore. :shock:"

It was probably intended to work as some kind of synergy. Meat Loaf was accompanied by a young, attractive woman and Marion Raven had her name being mentioned along with someone famous and got a song that had already been a hit. And by the way, I doubt that IACBTM would have become No. 1 in Norway if Marion hadn't been involved.

Elijah's way
20 Jan 2011, 04:50
It does make sense, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. My first thought when I saw the IACBTM video was: "Who is that girl? Where is Patti? Oh, they obviously think the old man can't make it on his own anymore. :shock:"

It was probably intended to work as some kind of synergy. Meat Loaf was accompanied by a young, attractive woman and Marion Raven had her name being mentioned along with someone famous and got a song that had already been a hit. And by the way, I doubt that IACBTM would have become No. 1 in Norway if Marion hadn't been involved.

yeah your right

meatfanforlife
20 Jan 2011, 05:05
Meat has already stated that they used Marion because he was supposed to jumpstart her career i thought. /shrug

Julie in the rv mirror
20 Jan 2011, 10:07
Sorry, I have to cut this off at the pass. The argument about "middle America" being offended is utter nonsense. This his American history being re-written once again and I must remind people that it was not "middle America" that started the artistic witch hunt against offensive material in recorded media - the brunt of that battle came from the Parent's Music Resource Center (PMRC), who was lead by Tipper Gore (estranged wife of former Vice President Al Gore) and Susan Baker (wife of former President Ronald Reagan;s Chief of Staff James Baker). There were others who were influential and vocal in regard to music censorship and heavily involved with the PMRC in America. However, these were all known as the "Washington Wives" and absolutely do not represent "middle America." I live in middle America, and we do not uphold that belief system. Place the blame where it lies - not with where the populace says it should lie.

I think this is an interesting topic to discuss (we've touched on it before), but so as not to drag the thread off topic, I started another one here (ironically, in the Off Topic Forum :lol:):

http://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=536665#post536665

allrevvedup
20 Jan 2011, 13:26
Shine A Light also features Buddy Guy, Jack White is a musician who apparently is influenced by "old" music (see the documentary It Might Get Loud) and I doubt that a duet with Christina Aguilera during a live show really makes a big difference with regard to album sales. I don't think that the Stones depend on younger artists to "remain hip". They might not be as popular and influential as they were in the 1960s and 1970s but they've never had problems to attract an audience, people come to their shows in spite of high ticket prices and I think at this point in time they don't have to bother about being "hip". Meat's duet with Marion Raven appeared more as a deperate attempt to gain attention to me (regardless of who was responsible for that) than Mick Jagger singing with Christina Aguilera.

I still think it comes down to getting new money. I mean the reissues, the remixes of Sympathy for the devil etc (which i thought was horrible by the way) is their way of trying to stay in the minds of younger audiences. Not saying it's a bad thing at all (again apart from those remixes!) but it just shows you what a group like the stones have to do. I suppose the beatles and itunes is further proof of that.

I rather listen to songs like Rag Doll :cool: than to I Don't Want To Miss A Thing and the like. (Isn't that a Diane Warren song, by the way? :?)

and yet I don't want to miss a thing was their biggest single in their entire 40 year career. Believe me I'd rather listen to Honkin on bobo or their early blues rock albums but they know what sells.

I hope that won't happen to Meat. :shock: I'd rather see him in another great movie like Fight Club or a mean little flick like Pelts than on Celebrity Apprentice. A world in which artists gain recognition rather via such TV shows than because of their actual talents is a sad one, in my opinion.

Tis all about the money, Sarge. I'm not sure if artistic integrity is in existence as much anymore.

AndyK
20 Jan 2011, 14:33
... I suppose the beatles and itunes is further proof of that...

...Tis all about the money, Sarge. I'm not sure if artistic integrity is in existence as much anymore.

Money is the key thing here with the Beatles, there's been long standing disputes between Mr Jobs' Apple and the Beatles Apple Corps, stemming back some 30+ years.

Coincidence that the copyright on some of the earlier recordings of the Beatles expires soon, meaning that it's available without Apple Corps gaining any royalties. I think not. It's a last pay day.

Sarge
20 Jan 2011, 14:34
and yet I don't want to miss a thing was their biggest single in their entire 40 year career. [...] they know what sells.

They obviously do and maybe I'm the only one they didn't sell it to, LOL. I think I'm gonna spend the day watching Rory Gallagher DVDs. Just straight rock, no sappy tearjerkers in sight. :-P Don't get me wrong, it's not that I dislike ballads but I prefer an old, crackling Nick Drake or Sandy Denny (for example) vinyl record to most modern ballads.

Tis all about the money, Sarge. I'm not sure if artistic integrity is in existence as much anymore.

*Recalling that interview in which Meat mentioned shows like "Donald Trump's thing" and Claude Monet.* --- I think I need a drink... :hic:

CarylB
20 Jan 2011, 14:36
There are many reasons imo for people to appear on these "celebrity" type programmes. Some to earn money, some to try and boost a career which is flagging, some who are media celebrities and whose "fame" is based on notoriety rather than any talent. Then there are shows like Masterchef or Popstar to Opera Star, where some want to be tested and to learn.

Meat has explained why he has appeared on the two he did. Being a judge on Popstar to Operastar made good business sense when he wanted to be based in Europe to promote HCTB; the money he earned from competing in Celebrity Apprentice was for a wonderful charity, plus he saw it as an opportunity to learn; and both would have provided networking opportunities. Neither were done primarily to garner publicity, even if some was generated, and as he says, any you get is fairly shortlived. To me his choices have been shrewd.

I'd agree that many who appear on this type of programme do so for reasons open to criticism, but imo both of Meat's choices have been for good and sound reasons. I get the sense that his appearance on Ghost Hunter was done mainly out of interest and for enjoyment :-)

Caryl

nikox1
21 Jan 2011, 01:11
There are many reasons imo for people to appear on these "celebrity" type programmes. Some to earn money, some to try and boost a career which is flagging, some who are media celebrities and whose "fame" is based on notoriety rather than any talent. Then there are shows like Masterchef or Popstar to Opera Star, where some want to be tested and to learn.

Meat has explained why he has appeared on the two he did. Being a judge on Popstar to Operastar made good business sense when he wanted to be based in Europe to promote HCTB; the money he earned from competing in Celebrity Apprentice was for a wonderful charity, plus he saw it as an opportunity to learn; and both would have provided networking opportunities. Neither were done primarily to garner publicity, even if some was generated, and as he says, any you get is fairly shortlived. To me his choices have been shrewd.

I'd agree that many who appear on this type of programme do so for reasons open to criticism, but imo both of Meat's choices have been for good and sound reasons. I get the sense that his appearance on Ghost Hunter was done mainly out of interest and for enjoyment :-)

Caryl

very true Caryl, but Meat has explained this for everybody too see!! and you are beating your head against a brick wall!! even Meats words will not be taken as the truth, so:roll:. there will always be a another reason.

as written above about Marion Raven, why was she in the video? Meat explained this for everybody, but heck no that aint the reason:roll:.
its really funny imo, Meat has on lots of occasions had stunners in hes videos [ hot ladys ]. hes a rock star = sex drugs and rock n roll!! just maybe thats another reason she sang on it? thats what sells. Britney did not sell 50 million records because of her 6 octave vocal range:D , more to do with skimpy outfits imo

stretch37
21 Jan 2011, 02:08
very true Caryl, but Meat has explained this for everybody too see!! and you are beating your head against a brick wall!! even Meats words will not be taken as the truth, so:roll:. there will always be a another reason.

as written above about Marion Raven, why was she in the video? Meat explained this for everybody, but heck no that aint the reason:roll:.
its really funny imo, Meat has on lots of occasions had stunners in hes videos [ hot ladys ]. hes a rock star = sex drugs and rock n roll!! just maybe thats another reason she sang on it? thats what sells. Britney did not sell 50 million records because of her 6 octave vocal range:D , more to do with skimpy outfits imo

:lmao: exactly

I mean yeah, she has a great voice, but she's young, hot, and wore the skimpiest outfits allowed at the time...i imagine that had something to do with sales. I think if there are some younger women that want to work with Meat, or the equally sexy Patti, they should. They'll help spice up his image. Meat Loaf has always been a sex symbol to many....as have the stones...and I know having Aguilera on stage with them definitely made me want to watch that video a second time, if u know wat i mean. If only to see her and Jagger dance together. It was ~~~~ing entertainment if you ask me! XD

CarylB
21 Jan 2011, 03:00
But we know what the press made out of him singing duets with a much younger woman when he toured with Aspen Miller, despite the fact that she had a strong voice and considerable stage presence for someone of her years.

Meat and Patti have tremendous synergy on stage, an impressively intuitive understanding after working together for so many years, and she does any spicing up the show needs ;) Meat puts such heavy passion into his songs, more than many other performers, and I think it needs a singer of Patti's depth, experience, maturity and stature to match it and make the duets work, and also avoid negative comment by journalists, and to be fair, some fans. To me, Meat is about as far from Jagger as you could find, and what works on stage for one is unlikely to work for the other.

Caryl

Sarge
21 Jan 2011, 13:29
But we know what the press made out of him singing duets with a much younger woman when he toured with Aspen Miller, despite the fact that she had a strong voice and considerable stage presence for someone of her years.

The stupid comments by some journalists about Meat and Aspen say more about the press than about Meat. They basically told him to stop doing what he had done on stage for 30 years just because he allegedly was "too old" and they made it appear as if Aspen Miller was some poor little, helpless girl who was forced to take part in unpleasant performances. Unfortunately Meat caved in and temporarily turned Paradise into a kindergarten performance. He should have just said "fück you" (like he does on other occasions ;)), "it's my show" and go on with it.

Meat and Patti have tremendous synergy on stage, an impressively intuitive understanding after working together for so many years, and she does any spicing up the show needs ;) Meat puts such heavy passion into his songs, more than many other performers, and I think it needs a singer of Patti's depth, experience, maturity and stature to match it and make the duets work, and also avoid negative comment by journalists, and to be fair, some fans.

Something must be wrong with me, another of your posts I 100% agree with... :lawl: When I watched videos of the recent shows, I realized how much I like the way in which Meat and Patti have grown "old" together.

To me, Meat is about as far from Jagger as you could find, and what works on stage for one is unlikely to work for the other.

Mick Jagger and Meat Loaf have totally different images and ways to perform. (I remember how Meat once appeared to imitate Jagger's way of walking during Gimme Shelter. :)))

TheDoode
21 Jan 2011, 14:03
I tried to work something out with that show, but I couldn't get on. Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time . Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old.
I wasn't really attacking sarge, just saying that it is real easy to sit on the sideline and judge and speculate . Believe me almost everything that is written on here about promo I tried and things that you guys never thought of. Nobody cares, they are not selling records. So they want to do as little as possible . At least the UK did TV ads. The US wouldn't . I told them my audience is not where you are putting your money (very little).I thought Management was going to blow a Gasget. If the UK was bad , the US and Australia were worse. New Zealand did pretty good , Germany fair . I did get a gold record in the UK for Hang cool so it keeps my streak alive, every record in the UK has gone gold. If it doesn't have "Hell" in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 . If I would have it would have been a negative for a lot of people but in the end would have sold more records . When I refused ,it pissed them off. So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS. I know ,you say "oh no" not that. Good news for some of you though. The songs go with the title and PATRICK is no where around. LOL

Meat

I think this is one of the best Meat posts I've read. And the few details on the next album are sounding pretty good - the title, and the title and direction of the first song, sounds pretty damn cool to me.

Looking forward.

Doode. :cool:

glamourgirl
21 Jan 2011, 15:36
I think the notion that people wanted to see young women with Meat is nonsense. I am about the same age as Aspen and I thought it looked ridiculous. People, regardless of age, want to hear great music. They want to see a performance that blows their mind. For me, that has always been Meat and Patti. Meat and Marion were like watching paint dry. Plus, Patti is hotter than most 20-year-olds I know.

glamourgirl
21 Jan 2011, 15:46
When I watched videos of the recent shows, I realized how much I like the way in which Meat and Patti have grown "old" together.

Correction: they have grown "younger" together. I'm completely amazed by their energy and passion. I can't wait for their new duet(s). If they do more amazing promo performances, like they did of LOTO on Leno, I think the new album will grab everyone's attention.

Smithie
21 Jan 2011, 22:15
:lmao: exactly

I mean yeah, she has a great voice, but she's young, hot, and wore the skimpiest outfits allowed at the time...i imagine that had something to do with sales. I think if there are some younger women that want to work with Meat, or the equally sexy Patti, they should. They'll help spice up his image.

But IACBTMN was not a smashing success. I don't recall the song getting any airplay in the US and I never saw the video on the music channels. I think most younger fans think it's lame to team up with younger artists just for the sake of publicity. As others have said, it's all about a song that catches people's attention. A duet is all about chemistry and believability and nobody does it better than Meat & Patti.

(Almost forgot to mention, Patti in her Paradise outfit puts all those younger girls to shame.)

Smithie
21 Jan 2011, 22:19
So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS. I know ,you say "oh no" not that. Good news for some of you though. The songs go with the title Meat

That's awesome news, Meat. I can't wait. What about the song Paul & Patti wrote, "Take a Ride to Hell", for the new album?

meatfanforlife
21 Jan 2011, 23:56
That's awesome news, Meat. I can't wait. What about the song Paul & Patti wrote, "Take a Ride to Hell", for the new album?

I agree! going to be a GREAT album I'm sure!!

Evil One
22 Jan 2011, 00:18
I agree! going to be a GREAT album I'm sure!!What happens if it isn't? :bleh:

duke knooby
22 Jan 2011, 00:22
If it doesn't have "Hell" in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 .

Meat

dear mr loaf, it seems to make no difference what you musically/artistically want to do, the record companies seem to have no interest in what you want, or what you are about, they appear to have you pigeon holed. i remember the interview you gave to dave fanning for the planet rock programme back in '95 for the promotion of the welcome to the neighbourhood record, even back then you said you had to fight the record company... they wanted to call it escape from hell, and you fought them, and said you wouldn't put a hell in the title unless it was you and jim... 15 years on you're having the same battle, have you considered your own record company??? theres a recent thread on this site suggesting that... only my random thoughts, with all my love.

btw... what happened to the 5 hour live record you mentioned in that interview??? and please do surfs up live again!

TheDoode
22 Jan 2011, 00:26
What happens if it isn't? :bleh:

I call you out for being a douche, sir. :lol:

Personally, I'm stoked just hearing about it - but it's kind of pointless to speculate until we hear stuff. For now let's just be cool, because, y'know, f!ck, another new Meat Loaf album! :cool: Can't wait! :cool:

Doode.

Evil One
22 Jan 2011, 00:34
I call you out for being a douche, sir.
So business as usual then? :cool:

stretch37
22 Jan 2011, 01:09
I call you out for being a douche, sir. :lol:

Personally, I'm stoked just hearing about it - but it's kind of pointless to speculate until we hear stuff. For now let's just be cool, because, y'know, f!ck, another new Meat Loaf album! :cool: Can't wait! :cool:

Doode.

:lmao:

Dude your hilarous...and i happen to agree with ya buddy

carole
22 Jan 2011, 12:46

Meat

I'm sorry you have to go through all that with the record co Meat, you deserve better. I know what you mean about Australia. You came here and worked your arse off appearing on numerous TV shows and radio to promote your album, but when it came out a month later, I did not see one ad for it. I saw so many ads for other artists and it used to piss me off no end when they wouldn't advertise yours. :mad: The new album sounds like it will be great, can't wait to hear it. :D

Carole

nikox1
23 Jan 2011, 13:56
What happens if it isn't? :bleh:

you will be delighted:D

Evil One
23 Jan 2011, 13:58
you will be delighted:D
Don't be silly. :roll:

nikox1
23 Jan 2011, 14:24
Don't be silly. :roll:

maybe happy then? go on just a little bit

Evil One
23 Jan 2011, 14:40
Not at all. Here you are again doing what you always do. You'll start an argument, disappear for a month and then do it all over again. :roll:

Do you really think I wanted to dislike HCTB? That I paid out hard earned money on a product I had already decided I wouldn't like? For the record I hope the forthcoming album is a huge success and that I'll like every song on it. However the sensible side of me will approach it with caution due to Meat's last couple of releases and my lack of blind faith in regards to him. That doesn't mean I want it to fail. Surely the fact that I still post on here, despite the fact I didn't like his last album mean I'm still a fan? :roll:

nikox1
23 Jan 2011, 19:55
Not at all. Here you are again doing what you always do. You'll start an argument, disappear for a month and then do it all over again. :roll:

Do you really think I wanted to dislike HCTB? That I paid out hard earned money on a product I had already decided I wouldn't like? For the record I hope the forthcoming album is a huge success and that I'll like every song on it. However the sensible side of me will approach it with caution due to Meat's last couple of releases and my lack of blind faith in regards to him. That doesn't mean I want it to fail. Surely the fact that I still post on here, despite the fact I didn't like his last album mean I'm still a fan? :roll:

ohh!! c,mon relax will ya. i never said you were that bad. to be fair we have not had that many arguments. but if it had a similer sound to HCTB you will probably not like it? correct? just out of interest what did you not like about it?

Evil One
23 Jan 2011, 20:27
I've said repeatedly that the main thing I dislike about HCTB is the songs. The overall sound of the album is top notch. So if the new album sounds like HCTB, but with better songs then there is a good chance I will like it. :twisted:

nikox1
23 Jan 2011, 20:50
I've said repeatedly that the main thing I dislike about HCTB is the songs. The overall sound of the album is top notch. So if the new album sounds like HCTB, but with better songs then there is a good chance I will like it. :twisted:

fair enough

Dave
23 Jan 2011, 21:31

I will say it again, after having seen her perform with Meat Loaf on television...Aspen Miller was enough of a put off as a performer to entice me to see any of the 3 Bats Tour shows. I lost interest. She was enough of a distraction to me.

CarylB
23 Jan 2011, 22:19
I will say it again, after having seen her perform with Meat Loaf on television...Aspen Miller was enough of a put off as a performer to entice me to see any of the 3 Bats Tour shows. I lost interest. She was enough of a distraction to me.

You do realise I was making the point that I consider Patti to be vastly preferable to partner Meat on stage?

I know you did not like her performance. Each to his own. I merely said she had a strong voice and considerable stage presence for one of her years because to me she does, I think it would be hard to deny her that, and I wouldn't want to put down her contribution even though I think she didn't have the maturity, depth and stature that Meat's songs demand and that Patti does, which sits better with the press and some fans.

Caryl

Paul Richardson
24 Jan 2011, 00:40
I merely said she had a strong voice and considerable stage presence for one of her years because to me she does

Caryl, I have to say I agree completely.:shock:

I love Patti, but Aspen was great, fantastic voice, fantastic stage presence. The only reason it didn't work with Meat was not so much the age difference, as the apparent age difference, Meat looking 60 and Aspen looking like a teenager. (Although at least she was barely seventeen and barely dressed...!)

At least Patti is only 15-20 years younger :lol: I noticed though they've stopped doing the make out scene in Paradise and rely on the big screen video of past performances instead - Meat shouldn't have listened to the critics on that score.

CarylB
24 Jan 2011, 00:57
Caryl, I have to say I agree completely.:shock:
At least Patti is only 15 -20 years younger :lol: I noticed though they've stopped doing the make out scene in Paradise and rely on the big screen video of past performances instead - Meat shouldn't have listened to the critics on that score.

Well that's, imo, not an unusual age difference anyway, and we don't know that Meat bowed to critics' pressure. He likes to change the routine in Paradise and they were using screen images throughout the set.

Not sure why those who don't like my style of reviews or my wholehearted support of Meat feel the need to express shock when they agree with me :lol: I'm an intelligent woman, so it's bound to happen ;)

Caryl

Paul Richardson
24 Jan 2011, 01:09
Well that's, imo, not an unusual age difference anyway, and we don't know that Meat bowed to critics' pressure.

I'm guessing based on 'In Search Of Paradise' where Meat and Aspen decided to just watch the make out scene on the Paradise video, and then on the latest tour all we were left with was just the video. 2 and 2 and all that, but I don't think I'm necessarily wrong :shrug:

Not sure why those who don't like my style of reviews or my wholehearted support of Meat feel the need to express shock when they agree with me.

Well, yes, sometimes - I think we all here do wholeheartedly support Meat - just in our own ways...:wink::lol:

MeatGrl1
21 Feb 2011, 02:24
How did I miss the fact that La Toya would be part of this ?!
Awesome !!

Vickip
21 Feb 2011, 02:51
He likes to change the routine in Paradise and they were using screen images throughout the set.

Exactly ... but for the additional shows here in the USA this winter, they don't have the bigger screens or blowup doll. Meat and Patti have gone back to the traditional makeout scene, which is always fun to watch :wink:

AndrewG
21 Feb 2011, 02:55
Exactly ... but for the additional shows here in the USA this winter, they don't have the bigger screens or blowup doll. Meat and Patti have gone back to the traditional makeout scene, which is always fun to watch :wink:

Ah interesting.

I found it weird that Meat didn't drop this with Aspen in 06/07 as I thought it would be quite obvious that it would cause controversy due to the age difference and aspen looking like a 16 year old (she still does and seems to act it at times too!) yet Meat did drop it last year with Patti whilst he is actually looking fitter/younger/happier himself on this tour. :?

stretch37
21 Feb 2011, 02:58
Ah interesting.

I found it weird that Meat didn't drop this with Aspen in 06/07 as I thought it would be quite obvious that it would cause controversy due to the age difference and aspen looking like a 16 year old (she still does and seems to act it at times too!) yet Meat did drop it last year with Patti whilst he is actually looking fitter/younger/happier himself on this tour. :?

Yeah but he's been making out with Patti this year, so its all good

nikox1
22 Feb 2011, 00:52
Ah interesting.

emmmmm!!!! Mick Jagger? Rod Stewart?

nikox1
22 Feb 2011, 00:54
hes done the show, lets move on already:roll:

ForeverInBat
27 May 2011, 14:01
Ah interesting.

aspen looking like a 16 year old (she still does and seems to act it at times too!) :?

What pisses me off is the abuse that Aspen gets from alot of people on here.

Yes we all love Patti, yes she is amazing, yes she has great charisma, yes she works fantastic with Meat Loaf, no one can deny she is the best female vocalist to work with Meat.

But why the hell does Aspen get a pasting on here by some people. I recieved a facebook msg from Aspen shortly after she left the band, stating that she was deeply hurt by the comments made by folk on here and by the press. All she ever did was try to win over the fans. She knew she would never be able to overcome Patti's legacy, but she worked her ass off to please, and for what,,,, that girl deserves a fu@%ing medal for at least taking the job on and trying it.

Aspen was superb, brought a freshness to the band, for me, it was going stale, a few changes had to be made, same old paradise routines, same old same old, when Aspen came in, things changed, Bat 3 tour will always be my favourite, IACBTMN with Aspen was out of this world,

I hope she doesnt read the stupid and childish comments that yu lot make!

allrevvedup
27 May 2011, 14:23
Ok folks, can we get back on topic please, since I know it was not about who Meat's backing singers have been and what reaction they have received.