PDA

View Full Version : Do You Consider "Did I Say That?" a Ballad?

Wario
04 Dec 2010, 22:34
Ive always considered DIST (one of the new millenniums' most underrated, undersold, unappreciated, masterpiece singles) one of Meat's best ballads, only surpassed by Read Em and Weep, Two outta Three, and Objects.

I was wondering if it is indeed a ballad or what it could be labeled as.

The Flying Mouse
04 Dec 2010, 22:35
:twisted: I believe if it were in a box, it would be labelled Power Ballad.

Sarge
04 Dec 2010, 23:20
Ive always considered DIST (one of the new millenniums' most underrated, undersold, unappreciated, masterpiece singles)

Underrated and unappreciated? I recall it being played on German TV quite often because it was used for a TV Series on Napoleon. Meat performed it on Wetten, dass...? (one of our most popular TV shows) and Top of the Pops (Germany). Haven't seen negative reviews, too, some people even asked if it was written by Steinman.

Wario
04 Dec 2010, 23:25
Underrated and unappreciated? I recall it being played on German TV quite often because it was used for a TV Series on Napoleon. Meat performed it on Wetten, dass...? (one of our most popular TV shows) and Top of the Pops (Germany). Haven't seen negative reviews, too, some people even asked if it was written by Steinman.

Thats germany. I guess I was really directing that statement to Here in my country of America and Britain.

Even in germany, it still got a bad pick in the straw. Deserves to be on radio today

Monstro
04 Dec 2010, 23:30
:twisted: I believe if it were in a box, it would be labelled Power Ballad.

:up:

carole
04 Dec 2010, 23:31
I wouldn't really class it as a ballad, not in the sense of Heaven Can Wait or Two Outa Three, it's a bit too rocky for that.

Carole

Sarge
04 Dec 2010, 23:34
Thats germany. I guess I was really directing that statement to Here in my country of America and Britain.

As far I remember, the U.K. got CHSIB as a single instead. :??: Did Sanctuary release any singles in the U.S.?

Even in germany, it still got a bad pick in the straw. Deserves to be on radio today

Maybe that would make me listen to the radio again. Even German radio stations rarely play Meat Loaf songs as most of them seem to focus on "the best of the Eighties, the Ninities and of today" :roll:. Don't ask me what they consider "the best". :shrug: A lot of great songs aren't played on the radio (anymore) but that doesn't mean that they are "underrated" or "unappreciated".

Wario
04 Dec 2010, 23:36
Maybe that would make me listen to the radio again. Even German radio stations rarely play Meat Loaf songs as most of them only seem to focus on "the best of the Eighties, the Ninities and of today" :roll:. Don't ask me what they consider "the best". :shrug: A lot of great songs aren't played on the radio (anymore) but that doesn't mean that they are "underrated" or "unappreciated".

when it pops up on a german "Best of 2003" compilation CD Ill take it back :)

Sarge
04 Dec 2010, 23:40
when it pops up on a german "Best of 2003" compilation CD Ill take it back :)

What does this have to do with whether a song is appreciated or not? Do you really think people judge music by that?

Wario
04 Dec 2010, 23:58
What does this have to do with whether a song is appreciated or not? Do you really think people judge music by that?

Lets stop this. I meant "underappretiated" to the fact that and CHSIB never were "top 10 Hits" worldwide.

Now about i being a balad or not....

AndrewG
05 Dec 2010, 00:09
Now about i being a balad or not....

No you're not a ballad, but the song can indeed mostly be classed as a power ballad. In my opinion it is a perfect Meat Loaf song as is Anything for Love. Containing vast dynamics, tempo changes, countless tracks, backing vocals and that typical Steinman-ish wall of sound.

Sarge
05 Dec 2010, 00:17
Lets stop this. I meant "underappretiated" to the fact that and CHSIB never were "top 10 Hits" worldwide.

Sorry but you introduced this thread by claiming that it was "unappreciated" and I think it's a bit unfair (also towards Meat and his fans) to do so. I didn't buy it (the single), yet I appreciate it. The fact that it didn't make the Top 10 was rather due to promo and distribution issues than to the song, I suppose.

Monstro
05 Dec 2010, 00:18
As far as I'm concerned if you want under appreciated you need look no further than "Did I Say That".

Wario
05 Dec 2010, 00:20
Sorry but you introduced this thread by claiming that it was "unappreciated" and I think it's a bit unfair (also towards Meat and his fans) to do so. I didn't buy it (the single), yet I appreciate it. The fact that it didn't make the Top 10 was rather due to promo and distribution issues than to the song, I suppose.

Fair enough. it was a bit cold I said that. sorry for that. that was directed to the general public not to the people on this board.

As far as I'm concerned if you want under appreciated you need look no further than "Did I Say That".

I expected someone to agree with me, but not you aha :)

AndrewG
05 Dec 2010, 00:39
I expected someone to agree, but not you aha :)

Don't tell me you are keeping a list of what everyone likes?

duke knooby
05 Dec 2010, 00:40
As far as I'm concerned if you want under appreciated you need look no further than "Surf's Up".

agreed

Monstro
05 Dec 2010, 00:44
I expected someone to agree with me, but not you aha :)

Yeah but I spelt it right lol

AndrewG
05 Dec 2010, 00:47
agreed

Lol. :-)

Pudding
05 Dec 2010, 21:32
Fair enough. it was a bit cold I said that. sorry for that. that was directed to the general public not to the people on this board.

The general public was given the opportunity to buy the single and they chose not to :nope:

Besides it was on an album that got to #4 in the UK. I don't get why some people think in this day and age they should pay twice for the same song :shrug: