PDA

View Full Version : FOCUS

Vickip
22 Jun 2003, 02:18
"Focus" will be premiering on pay per view Sky Front Row, Friday 20th June every 120 minutes from 6 am.

This is a real thought-provoking movie and one of my favourite Meat films.

It's amazing .... definitely one of the best roles he's ever done :-)
He brings a sense of emotion to Fred .. I just hope he keeps getting offered roles like this in the future !!
Vicki

CarylB
23 Jun 2003, 07:48
Agreed; a powerful and thought provoking movie with fine acting from the lead actors. I too think it's one of Meat's finest performances .. imo he plays the role of Fred with great subtlety. Whilst I want to disassociate myself from the character's behaviour, his tone, body language and facial expressions convey Fred's awkwardness and discomfort and underlying fear of flying in the face of majority opinion which drives him, as it drives so many who react like this. The character could have so easily have been a simplistic bully, but does not imo come across like this at all. One of my favourite ML films.

Shane
23 Jun 2003, 12:46
Focus is probably my favourite film of Meat's (or should I say Michael's?) at the moment. My favourite plot of them all too. I watched it in the cinema a few months ago. Usually I am thinking "Oh my god, IT'S MEAT!!!" when I watch one of his films, but this is the first time that I, for a brief moment, forgot it was him and thought of him as Fred. That, in my opinion, is a sign he is an excellent actor. I recently saw the DVD and it was interesting to hear Meat's comment on the times in the bonus features.

However, Crazy In Alabama is another example (of many) in which Meat shines, and my favourite single scene of all Meaty movies is when Meat's character walks up to a boy in a swimming pool complex and pulls him off the fence, and then he kneels by the pool.

Shadows On The Wall
11 Jul 2003, 20:53
To be honest ive never seen it, i havent seen many of his films, only one ive really seen is black dog, he was good in that, the role suited him

dottie
12 Jul 2003, 12:07
Haven't seen this yet - anyone got any info as to when its showing again?Any info on story line also - thanks :)

CarylB
12 Jul 2003, 13:41
Dottie asked about Focus.

I have no idea when it might be shown again as I don't have Sky. I just buy Meat's movies when they come out in USA or UK.

The storyline centres around a man (William Macey) living in NY just before WW2, who one day finds he has to wear glasses., and for some reason people around him think he looks Jewish as a result, and suddenly he falls foul of the growing tide of anti-semitism in the neighbourhood. Meat plays Fred, his bluff jovial neighbour, who is drawn into the anti-semitism in the street whilst struggling with his inner knowledge that his neighbour has been a long time friend.. at least that's how his portrayal comes across to me. As I've said, I think Meat gives a superb performance, appearing at first to be a simple bully and then revealing the subtle undertones of fear, need to conform with the majority, guilt anxiety and embarrassment.

It's an uncomfortable film, but I found it also riveting, with both Meat and William Macey turning in great performances. A keeper!

Asha
12 Jul 2003, 14:05
I agree with Caryl, it a great movie, the movie has so many layers that it is an atention grabber, I found, from the start.

Even the man his mother think he looks jewish. It's about fear, friendship, love, hate even born by fear. it's a definite have to see.

Asha

Cathie
12 Jul 2003, 17:26
This is a must see film, Meat is wonderful as always, but this is one of his best performances. Although I had reservations about the film at first the storyline and the quality of the acting draws you in. And the story has a very strong message as well. Meat shows a whole range of emtions in this film and his acting is at such a high standard. Hopefully this will lead to more recognition for him as an actor.
Well worth a look for Meat alone but also an absorbing story.

dottie
12 Jul 2003, 17:33
Thanks for the info Caryl b. will keep an out for it now

Lady B
08 Aug 2003, 20:18
Agreed; a powerful and thought provoking movie with fine acting from the lead actors. I too think it's one of Meat's finest performances .. imo he plays the role of Fred with great subtlety. Whilst I want to disassociate myself from the character's behaviour, his tone, body language and facial expressions convey Fred's awkwardness and discomfort and underlying fear of flying in the face of majority opinion which drives him, as it drives so many who react like this. The character could have so easily have been a simplistic bully, but does not imo come across like this at all. One of my favourite ML films.

I finally got the chance to see FOCUS on Showtime yesterday and I have to agree with you Caryl. And I really liked the very ending when Larry went to the police station and then his wife shows up. My son sat with me and watched it as well.

Kudos to you Meat for a great performance!!!

Lady B

Vickip
08 Aug 2003, 23:59
Kudos to you Meat for a great performance!!!

Lady B

Right you are Lady B .... he was absolutely amazing !!
Vicki

DebGreaves
02 Dec 2003, 17:39
In the Uk Focus is showing on Sky Movies 1 at 8pm tonight

Debs

DebGreaves
03 Dec 2003, 00:30
watched focus on Sky movies earlier. Thought it was an excellent film. Got really into watching it, meat played fred really well, even made u feel u could understand why he was doing what he was doing. Love films I can really get into

Debs

MLFAN17
20 Dec 2003, 01:44
I have not been able to find this movie for sale or rent here in the US anywhere.does anybody know where and how i can find it to see it? I would like to rent it on DVD or vhs if at all possible?

CarylB
20 Dec 2003, 02:51
You should be able to pick up an as new quality second hand DVD from Amazon.com for around $11 plus postage

Cheese Head
20 Dec 2003, 17:28
MLFAN17,

I don't know if you have SHOWTIME, but it is on there all the time. I think they play every other month. Last month it was on and I watched countless amount of times.

Sherry

MLFAN17
24 Dec 2003, 18:39
Focus is probably my favourite film of Meat's (or should I say Michael's?) at the moment. My favourite plot of them all too. I watched it in the cinema a few months ago. Usually I am thinking "Oh my god, IT'S MEAT!!!" when I watch one of his films, but this is the first time that I, for a brief moment, forgot it was him and thought of him as Fred. That, in my opinion, is a sign he is an excellent actor. I recently saw the DVD and it was interesting to hear Meat's comment on the times in the bonus features.

However, Crazy In Alabama is another example (of many) in which Meat shines, and my favourite single scene of all Meaty movies is when Meat's character walks up to a boy in a swimming pool complex and pulls him off the fence, and then he kneels by the pool.

I agree with you Shane. I LOVE Crazy in Alabama!! I think it is one of his best roles(otu of the ones I have seen him in lol). i know that the movie itself was a "sleeper" but Meat should have gotten some kind of recognition for his role in the film he was GREAT!I have not been able to find Focus for rent as of yet.

MLFAN17
24 Dec 2003, 18:42

i read the synopsis of the film online. It sounds very intriguing to me. I just have to find it in the US somewhere to rent it. Sorry for repeating myself dont mean to.

Skeleton
27 Sep 2004, 08:22
I watched Focus with my friend and her little brother. My friend liked Focus a lot. She knows how mucn I like about Meat...

I liked Focus, too. I think that it one of the best of Meatīs movie. He was wonderful in it..

In my DVD donīt have comments, only trailer.. :(