PDA

View Full Version : Meat Loaf & Patti Russo cd??

glamourgirl
14 Oct 2010, 16:08
A friend and I were discussing the Stoney & Meat Loaf album and it gave us an idea. How about a Meat Loaf & Patti Russo album with a similar format? Meat sings lead on some songs, Patti sings lead on some songs, and they sing some duets together.

Smithie
14 Oct 2010, 17:25
Everyone I know would buy that cd!

The Flying Mouse
14 Oct 2010, 18:39
:twisted: It would be a good hook for fans (not to mention a treat, a concept album would be amazing), who would all pretty much buy the album anyway, but the everyman is not going to know who the hell Patti is, and won't care.

Meat did his album with Stoney when he was new on the scene and the album was presented as a double act, something that IMHO is not going to work when one person is world famous and the other is known to few.

The Heaven & Hell compilation worked well because both Meat and Bonnie Tyler are very famous names.THe Meat Loaf & Friends worked to a less extent, I think, because Jim Steinman and Ellen Foley are not household names.

Wario
14 Oct 2010, 18:48
:twisted: The Heaven & Hell compilation worked well because both Meat and Bonnie Tyler are very famous names.

still waiting on that duet....

as for a Meat and Patti CD, why thatd kill. I mean it doesnt have to be new songs.

How about:

Dead Ringer (Rerecording with Meat and Patti)
What You See Is What You Get (Rerecording with Meat and Patti)
Read 'Em and Weep (Re-recording with Meat)
A Bible and a Beer (Patti only)
Two out of Three (Re-recording as a duet with Meat and Patti)
I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us (Re-Recording with Meat)
Just Not Enough (Patti only)
Paradise (Re-recording with Meat and Patti)

allrevvedup
14 Oct 2010, 18:50
while it might sell amongst the 'die-hard fans' I don't think it'd have enough to do so on a larger scale

AndrewG
14 Oct 2010, 20:59
still waiting on that duet....

Really? Funny that as my copy of "A kiss is a terrible thing to waste" has both Bonnie and Meat singing on it and it is mostly a Steinman song but what do I know.

As for this Patti/Meat CD, well :shrug: I'd rather just have a good Meat Loaf album next with less song writers attached and better songs. A Patti duet on it I always welcome.

Steingirl
15 Oct 2010, 19:57
as for a Meat and Patti CD, why thatd kill. I mean it doesnt have to be new songs.

How about:

I'd love to hear that. I'd also enjoy hearing some new duets.

Steingirl
15 Oct 2010, 20:00
:twisted: It would be a good hook for fans (not to mention a treat, a concept album would be amazing), who would all pretty much buy the album anyway, but the everyman is not going to know who the hell Patti is, and won't care.

It might be a good way to introduce Patti and her talent to the everyman.

Wario
15 Oct 2010, 20:03
maybe if CHSIB reached number 1 and was a massive hit and brought in millions and millions, a Patti and Meat album would've already been out

Steingirl
15 Oct 2010, 20:12
maybe if CHSIB reached number 1 and was a massive hit and brought in millions and millions, a Patti and Meat album would've already been out

I love that song. It should have been a massive hit. The record companies always mess up Meat's single releases (or they have atleast for the past decade).

The Flying Mouse
15 Oct 2010, 21:09

:twisted: I disagree.
If she made an album like that with Meat it could indicate (as she is an unknown) that the only way she could get her name on a record would be to have it right next to a big stars.
She'd be better off doing a solo album of her own, promoing it to hell (with the right management behind her) and getting all the praise herself.

Evil One
15 Oct 2010, 21:35
Indeed. The only people that would buy a 'Meat & Patti' album would be Meat fans, so they would already know who Patti is anyway. :shrug:

Wario
15 Oct 2010, 21:37
Indeed. The only people that would buy a 'Meat & Patti' album would be Meat fans, so they would already know who Patti is anyway. :shrug:

and maybe queen fans :shrug:

duke knooby
16 Oct 2010, 02:17

:twisted: I disagree.
If she made an album like that with Meat it could indicate (as she is an unknown) that the only way she could get her name on a record would be to have it right next to a big stars.

the classic music business old school formula to crack new puppets

ladies and gentlemen, if you will... please welcome marion raven etc etc

(im not suggesting marion is or was a music biz puppet btw, just used her as an example)

The Flying Mouse
16 Oct 2010, 19:26
ladies and gentlemen, if you will... please welcome marion raven etc etc

:twisted: Yeah, 'cause it really worked for her didn't it? :lmao:

Pudding
17 Oct 2010, 23:19

Because everyman bought Meats latest album?
I'd prefer to see Patti on her own rather than in Meats shadow.

Smithie
18 Oct 2010, 15:47
but the everyman is not going to know who the hell Patti is

Any fan who buys a Meat Loaf album should know the name Patti Russo. She sings on all of his albums for 15 years and any fan who sees a show could never forget that voice. Plus, Patti has a lot of Cher fans, TSO fans, Queen & SAS Band fans. She might bring in some new fans.

Smithie
18 Oct 2010, 15:51
How about:

I like your setlist, WarioLoaf. Since there are a few live versions of Paradise and Dead Ringer, I would swap those songs for Meat-Patti duets of IACBTMN, IICHY, and The Future and a couple new duets. I would also like to hear Patti record Total Eclipse of the Heart. I love that song, but I don't like Bonnie Tyler's voice.

Smithie
18 Oct 2010, 16:08
Because everyman bought Meats latest album?
I'd prefer to see Patti on her own rather than in Meats shadow.

Meat's lastest album didn't feature Patti properly (LBIL) and the Casa cd omitted two of her duets and you can't hear her backing vocals because of the mix.
I don't think performing and recording with Meat puts Patti in his shadow.
Having her name on an album (therefore her name would be mentioned in album reviews and at promo performances/appearances) could introduce her to a wider audience. Then she could record a solo album. The foolish record companies don't seem to be offering her a deal right now.

The Flying Mouse
18 Oct 2010, 21:27
Any fan who buys a Meat Loaf album should know the name Patti Russo.

:twisted: Not true.
Only the people who are interested enough to read the credits in the booklet will know her name.
I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying that's the way it is.

It's hard to compare Meat's relation to Patti to anybody else because duets are usually done by two big names who have come together for the song (for example Meat & Cher for Dead Ringer) or are two unknowns who are a double act (Stoney & Meat).
Meat has a history of going against the grain in this way since the 90's.He's he's worked wuith Lorraine Crosby, Patti, and Marion Raven, all of whome are pretty much unknown as artist in their own right.

Pudding
19 Oct 2010, 06:07
I don't think performing and recording with Meat puts Patti in his shadow.

Meat has sold how many albums with his name splashed on the front?...80 million+? and Patti has sold how many albums with her name on the front?...that would be ZERO. So I ask you, who the hell in their right mind is going to see the album as an equal pairing? It's Meats name that'll attract the attention not Patti's.

glamourgirl
19 Oct 2010, 16:49
It's an issue of timing. Patti has written many great songs, but she is in her 40s and the music industry focuses on youth. Without a record company, it takes a lot of money to hire managers and to travel for promotion. It's difficult to get songs on the radio and to get tv appearances.

The idea of a Meat & Patti album has two benefits. It is a way of "breaking" Patti in the music industry on a global scale. Everyone could finally see all that she is capable of as a singer/ songwriter. (While her past duets with Meat are wonderful, that is just a small sample of her talent.) Most importantly, Meat and Patti are always amazing together so it has the potential of being an amazing, memorable album. With the right songs, it could be a huge success for both their careers.

While Patti may not have sold 80 million albums, she has earned many fans from her work in musicals, with Cher, Queen, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Her talent is respected by fans, and I believe she is Meat's vocal equal. Her amazing voice certainly helped to sell his albums at promo performances and concerts.

Pudding
19 Oct 2010, 23:24
Pattis has co-written some good songs, using the words 'many' and 'great' is stretching it just a little. Also who's to say Meat wants to sing one of her songs when one of her songs got rejected for Bat3?

Since Bat2, Meats 'global' album sales have gone down have they not? So what makes you think Patti teaming up with Meat would be good for Patti?

But I totally agree, her talent is respected by fans, by Meat Loaf fans, hence she'd still be in his shadow if they did an album together.

Steve6
20 Oct 2010, 01:04
If Patti and Meat were to do an album; it should include new material only. Flogging the same old songs over and over again is just repetitive and extremely boring at this stage. I am 100% certain it won't happen anyway, because there's no point. Patti's name has no commercial value whatsoever, and Meat Loaf's does. As Pudding said above, she's only in his shadow. So why have her name on the front cover? Where's the logic in that?

If Patti is going to release an album that she wants a big part in, she has to go solo. Bottom line!

AndrewG
20 Oct 2010, 02:00
I'd like to see a full Patti CD with 1 or 2 Meat duets.

Vickip
20 Oct 2010, 04:17
She'd be better off doing a solo album of her own, promoing it to hell (with the right management behind her) and getting all the praise herself.

I absolutely agree.

Smithie
21 Oct 2010, 15:52
I'd rather just have a good Meat Loaf album next with less song writers attached and better songs. A Patti duet on it I always welcome.

Why isn't Patti a part of the songwriting team? She's a great songwriter. I do hope that Meat's next album has some great duets w/ Patti that give her a chance to shine (unlike LBIL).

As for album sales, HCTB has not sold millions but it is still a creative success for Meat. To me, success is not determined by sales figures but by the quality of the work. With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs.

Pudding
21 Oct 2010, 20:44
With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs.

Can you have a wrong hit single?

Steve6
21 Oct 2010, 20:56
As for album sales, HCTB has not sold millions but it is still a creative success for Meat.

If it was a creative success it would have sold millions. :shrug:

To me, success is not determined by sales figures but by the quality of the work. With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs

I agree with that, but they would need a good songwriter. Meat is surrounded by good ones as it is, but they have yet to pen something truly outstanding, that has the ability to top the charts in my opinion.

Pudding
21 Oct 2010, 22:12
I agree with that, but they would need a good songwriter. Meat is surrounded by good ones as it is, but they have yet to pen something truly outstanding, that has the ability to top the charts in my opinion.

I'm probably going to get my balls chewed off for this but what the hell. A good songwriter probably isn't going to give Meat their best songs because they'll want a bigger pay cheque through royalties. A bigger pay cheque is only going to come through their song hitting it big time, which means someone who's more popular.

Steve6
21 Oct 2010, 22:24
I'm probably going to get my balls chewed off for this but what the hell. A good songwriter probably isn't going to give Meat their best songs because they'll want a bigger pay cheque through royalties. A bigger pay cheque is only going to come through their song hitting it big time, which means someone who's more popular.

I wouldn't be so sure about the "not giving him their best songs part", that's a debate to nowhere if you ask me. Singles are like lottery tickets sometimes. A song that's crap can get to Number 1, and make a huge turnover. :shrug:

Pudding
22 Oct 2010, 02:41
I wouldn't be so sure about the "not giving him their best songs part", that's a debate to nowhere if you ask me.

No it isn't, it might be a debate for another thread though. How many of the songs from HCTB were covers of old(er) songs?

Steve6
23 Oct 2010, 00:00
No it isn't, it might be a debate for another thread though. How many of the songs from HCTB were covers of old(er) songs?

They are all new aren't they? :?

duke knooby
23 Oct 2010, 00:36

depends what you mean by new

Monstro
23 Oct 2010, 00:38
No it isn't, it might be a debate for another thread though.

Please take the hint.

Back to topic please

Wario
23 Oct 2010, 06:32
You know they could easily make 75 minute compilation album if they wanted to using the four MSO songs with Meat and patti going at it (DRFL, Paradise, Testify, and AFL), CHSIB, Lie For You, Last Kiss, LOTO, and LBIL

The Flying Mouse
23 Oct 2010, 19:00
You know they could easily make 75 minute compilation album if they wanted to using the four MSO songs with Meat and patti going at it (DRFL, Paradise, Testify, and AFL), CHSIB, Lie For You, Last Kiss, LOTO, and LBIL

:twisted: THat is a very UNexciting proposition :zzz:

Steve6
23 Oct 2010, 22:43

It just wouldn't work Wario. AFL, Paradise, and I'd Lie for you, have been around the circuit many times before. LOTO and LBIL have only been released.

allrevvedup
23 Oct 2010, 23:07
Why isn't Patti a part of the songwriting team? She's a great songwriter. I do hope that Meat's next album has some great duets w/ Patti that give her a chance to shine (unlike LBIL).

As for album sales, HCTB has not sold millions but it is still a creative success for Meat. To me, success is not determined by sales figures but by the quality of the work. With the right hit single, a Meat-Patti album might sell millions. It is impossible to predict. It depends on the song choices and the audience' response to the songs.

many albums with quality work have sold next to nothing or remain undiscovered by the large majority of music fans. what record companies react to is whether they can make money from it, be all and end all. they don't want to know what it took to make the album (emotionally) although if there's a handy non complicated story that they can tag on to an album to tug at the heartstrings of the public a little bit more that can drive sales then obviously it's going to be something they want to try.

Unless you have something like Robert Plant (who lets face it is one of the top 5 rock icons) & Alison Krauss releasing an album that gets the publics attention, it's a very tough thing to do a duet album. Chrissie Hynde recently released an album with a singer called JP Jones (they have an on/off relationship) and it's received mixed reviews.

I can't see a record company jumping for joy at idea of a Meat & Patti russo album and putting their backing and their money into it. Maybe an album with Meat and other established artists, like Slash has done recently, would be something to consider but who knows.

Steve6
24 Oct 2010, 03:37
I can't see a record company jumping for joy at idea of a Meat & Patti russo album and putting their backing and their money into it. Maybe an album with Meat and other established artists, like Slash has done recently, would be something to consider but who knows.

Meat did release an album entitled "Meat Loaf and Friends", but that only had Jim, Bonnie, and Ellen Foley if I can remember correctly. I haven't heard it in a few years (I owned a copy but it got broken). It was a compilation CD, but if they released an album with the same people, and had brand new songs on it that might work too. Patti would definitely be involved. To be fair Mike HCTB and Bat 3 had a lot of established artists involved, but I'm guessing you want more duets with the artists, and not just behind the scenes production work and songwriting? Which I'd agree with totally.

Pudding
24 Oct 2010, 09:26
Meat did release an album entitled "Meat Loaf and Friends",

Jesus, talk about naive :facepalm: a CD was releases entitled "Meat Loaf And Friends" but it had sod all to do with Meat Loaf.

Steve6
25 Oct 2010, 14:13
Jesus, talk about naive :facepalm: a CD was releases entitled "Meat Loaf And Friends" but it had sod all to do with Meat Loaf.

I know it had sod all to do with Meat Loaf. What I'm trying to say is if you had the same artists involved on a similar record, but had brand new songs instead, that would work my opinion. Have Meat Loaf, Ellen Foley, Patti, Jim, maybe Todd too, it would work better than just a Meat & Patti CD in my opinion.

glamourgirl
25 Oct 2010, 16:44
Pattis has co-written some good songs, using the words 'many' and 'great' is stretching it just a little. Also who's to say Meat wants to sing one of her songs when one of her songs got rejected for Bat3?

I never suggested that Patti write the songs that Meat would sing on the album. I was referring to the songs that Patti would sing on the album. She has already CO-written numerous great songs. Maybe you don't think her songs are great, but I do. Maybe you don't think the HCTB songs are great, but I do.
How do you know that Meat rejected Patti's song for Bat 3? Meat has never said that.

But I totally agree, her talent is respected by fans, by Meat Loaf fans, hence she'd still be in his shadow if they did an album together.

Her talent is respected by more than just Meat Loaf fans. My sister first heard Patti's voice on TSO's "Beethoven's Last Night" album. My sister isn't a fan of Meat's music, but if Patti sings on an album, she buys it.

Pudding
25 Oct 2010, 22:55
How do you know that Meat rejected Patti's song for Bat 3? Meat has never said that.
I don't always listen to Meat ;)

Her talent is respected by more than just Meat Loaf fans. My sister first heard Patti's voice on TSO's "Beethoven's Last Night" album. My sister isn't a fan of Meat's music, but if Patti sings on an album, she buys it.

If an album was made to cater for your sister then great, especially if she's willing to buy a few thousand copies.

glamourgirl
26 Oct 2010, 16:29
I don't always listen to Meat ;)

If an album was made to cater for your sister then great, especially if she's willing to buy a few thousand copies.

There are thousands more TSO fans impressed with her vocals on that album.

As for Bat 3, I doubt it was Meat who rejected Patti's song. Meat dislikes most of the non-Steinman songs on Bat 3, so he clearly didn't get to pick the songs for the album. It was probably Desmond Child's choice not to include her song.

allrevvedup
26 Oct 2010, 17:17

as well they should be but it doesn't automatically mean those thousands will buy anything that's released of hers.

visions of posts of 'millions of Meat Loaf fans' suddenly rush back to me.

the hardest thing to get anyone to do nowadays os to spend money on things they don't need and I include record companies in that.

You have to have massive earning potential for even a consideration of an album being made. I'd love to see Patti go to an independent label and play the hell out of small venues, around the world, building herself up in the process but it's not easy. you've got to get the right agents, promoters and most important the demand from fans.

If it's not there you won't get anyone wanting to spend money on it. Pearl took a long time to be discovered and is only now starting to make a tiny, but potentially large, dent in the business. Kasim has been trying for years and doesn't do that badly at all for the small group (no offence) of support he has.

More recently i've seen that Marya Roxx, a name that will be familiar to a few here, has finally got a label to release her full album on but it's only the start in relation to fully making it.

A Meat Loaf and Patti Russo album is a nice idea but unlikely

Smithie
26 Oct 2010, 18:08
The music business makes no sense. An excellent album like HCTB has lackluster sales. An excellent singer like Patti doesn't have a record deal. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift is selling out everywhere. I got stuck taking my little sister to her concert and she sounded awful live.

The Flying Mouse
26 Oct 2010, 18:34
If it's not there you won't get anyone wanting to spend money on it. Pearl took a long time to be discovered and is only now starting to make a tiny, but potentially large, dent in the business. Kasim has been trying for years and doesn't do that badly at all for the small group (no offence) of support he has.

:twisted: Kasim is an excellent example.
He's been in the music business for years, he's a highly respected musician, yet he still goes on the road with Todd and, until recently, Meat.
Why?
Because it pays.
Millions of people know him, he has his own following, but he still doesn't have an album on a HMV shelf or a sell out concert at Wembley.
If he does a solo tour it's strictly of the small venue type.
And he's considered a success.

It's not easy for someone trying to make their way in the music business, especially when you do not fir the mold of what record companies are looking for.

Steve6
26 Oct 2010, 20:15
An excellent singer like Patti doesn't have a record deal. Meanwhile, Taylor Swift is selling out everywhere. I got stuck taking my little sister to her concert and she sounded awful live.

Maybe Patti doesn't want to go solo, and she's happy with doing what she's doing right now. It's not anyones fault that she doesn't have a record deal. You have to push for that yourself and it's not easy. Taylor Swift did, and that's why she's having a lot success.

Pudding
27 Oct 2010, 00:14
You only know that there'd be thousands if you'd spoken to thousands...have you spoken to thousands of TSO fans?....I don't think you have. Has Patti ever been on tour with TSO that has visually exposed her to thousands of TSO fans? If so it was 10 years ago.

As for Bat 3, I doubt it was Meat who rejected Patti's song. Meat dislikes most of the non-Steinman songs on Bat 3, so he clearly didn't get to pick the songs for the album. It was probably Desmond Child's choice not to include her song.
Like I've said, I don't always listen to Meat ;)

glamourgirl
28 Oct 2010, 15:31
Like I've said, I don't always listen to Meat ;)

Who do you listen to then?;)

Pudding
29 Oct 2010, 02:29
Who do you listen to then?;)

Not you :))

Steingirl
01 Nov 2010, 18:17
A duet album would be a nice treat for fans. If not, then it would be nice if Meat's next album features Patti more.

Pudding
01 Nov 2010, 21:16
it would be nice if Meat's next album features Patti more.

Absolutely :up: