PDA

View Full Version : US Radio ~ Meat on Stan & Haney

suzieq
27 Sep 2010, 20:50
Found on Meat's facebook page a little while ago

http://www.facebook.com/StanandHaney96K?ref=mf

Direct link to on air: 4:35 p.m. Florida time. Meat will be on LIVE.

http://www.961krock.com/streamer/index.php?displaystreamer=true

I hope this link works.

Vickip
27 Sep 2010, 20:53
Very cool :)) Thanks Suzie !

Steve6
27 Sep 2010, 22:02
It's not available over here. You may write up the interview for us. :-P

suzieq
27 Sep 2010, 23:03
I have to go run to the soccer fields and coach the kiddies.

But two little interesting bits:
1. Living On the Outside was released today as a single!

2. Glee asked Meat and Bostwick back for reoccurring roles.

Outside of that, if no one else posts ahead of me, I'll write up the whole interview spanning about 18 minutes or so.

Steve6
27 Sep 2010, 23:07
Outside of that, if no one else posts ahead of me, I'll write up the whole interview spanning about 18 minutes or so.

Suzie is a LEGEND!!!!!

Vickip
27 Sep 2010, 23:27
I have to go run to the soccer fields and coach the kiddies.

But two little interesting bits:
1. Living On the Outside was released today as a single!

2. Glee asked Meat and Bostwick back for reoccurring roles.

I was at the store ... so I missed it :( But thank you for the update Suzie !!
That's excellent about Living On The Outside being the next single :))
And maybe now I'll actually have a reason to watch Glee :lol:

carole
27 Sep 2010, 23:28
Thanks for that Suzie.

Carole

suzieq
28 Sep 2010, 03:51
I am assuming that the audio isn't uploaded yet or archived yet. I'll do the best I can, so here it goes.

Introduction: Stan or Haney used words like Rock Legend, performer, actor and icon to introduce Meat Loaf then announced that they are going to just start this by playing Meat Loaf's new single Living On The Outside off of his new album Cool Hang Teddy Bear (me: rolls eyes and grabs the top of my hair). They said that this song absolutely rocks so have a listen: they play the beginning of LOTO until the ...C'mon Baby Just Ride With Me part.

They were super stoked to have Meat Loaf on the line. They started out with Meat Loaf how are ya? Meat: Fantastic (with a laugh). They immediately extend birthday wishes along with questioning if he would have a big party. Again Meat laughs and says (paraphrasing) no, when you get over the....16, 21, 30, 40 you pay no attention to the rest of em' and say OMG. They ask what they could anticipate over 40. Meat says, you can expect pains after that. You start asking, why does this or that hurt?

HCTB: Stan and Haney are totally into HCTB (they got the name right). They speak of the industry and how they are into their show and the "other departments" are into the playlists. They talked about the shame that it is that songs off HCTB aren't on their own playlist rotation. I think Haney is all about Like A Rose at this point. Stan talks about how it seemed that the promotion team aboard HCTB seemed to drop the ball (my words not theirs...my notes were more like shorthand so I forgot what words were exactly used, but it had to do with missing the mark). Meat laughs at this point and tells them to keep talking. (as if they weren't wrong).

Meat: States that there is a lot to this record. He went into explaining the title, the screenplay, Killian Kerwin, Rob Cavallo, and yes, our beloved PATRICK. Meat used an analogy that made me giggle...he said HCTB was like a twisted/derranged Rock and Roll Christmas Carol.

Music Business: (this was interesting) Meat used the analogy of being in the music business right now is like going 20 rounds with Muhammad Ali. The album was skewed to a younger audience so Classic Rock won't play it because they are scared of things like LIKE A ROSE. And New Rock won't play it because they hear Meat Loaf and automatically put him in Classic Rock. Going on Meat says LOTO can fit the Classic Rock demographic. Meat elaborates on how Los Angeloser did well in the UK but that music still effects (or is it affects) the daily life over in the UK still and he isn't sure for how much longer that will be the case. Whereas in the US, music is not that impactful anymore (sadly).

Live performances: Meat is happy playing POE off the back of Bat and it has it's own weight for a new song. He is pleased with the way the audience has responded where it lies in the set. Meat says POE, LOTO and SOM are songs just like Bat where he is transported when he does them live. He goes to "another" place and time.

Back to HCTB: They talk about the "star" lineup on the CD. Meat talks about his friends and where their paths crossed prior to HCTB. Including, Jack Black and Hugh Laurie, as well as, the familiar Brian May and Steve Vai friendships Meat was happy to talk about.

They touched on a rumor or fact question before they had to let Meat go: they asked Meat if he were going to appear on Glee. Meat said oh yeah, we just finished Glee it's going to air on Oct. 26th. Meat said he had a small part but they had asked him and Bostwick to come back as a reoccurring role. So, Meat seemed happy about that.

Finally, one of they guys had to tell Meat that he's seen him live several times and that Meat was the Best Live Performer out there. He said that Meat is absolutely awesome and Hang Cool Teddy Bear is awesome. His favorite song is Like A Rose and it is a station favorite but that they are not allowed to play it.

Closings: The duo thanked Meat Loaf very very much for taking the time to come on today. And Meat Loaf graciously thanked them very very much for having him :)

With that the other guy (not sure who was who at this point) said, alright we'll play only 20 seconds of Like A Rose for you (the audience). But they started the song from the beginning and ended up closing out the segment with it up until the "F*ck you when she's done" with the "F*ck" edited out.

I had to run out the door to get to the soccer fields before my roster showed up for practice. It's a two hour ordeal when I'm at the fields. I just had a moment to gather my notes and get this out to you guys. Most of this is paraphrased but it is in order of the interview. It was about 18 minutes long. I hope the audio becomes available, I'm sorry, I'm an idiot when it comes to recording on a computer.

Vickip
28 Sep 2010, 04:08
No apologies necessary Suzie :-) You did a fantastic job !!!
Thank you very much for the recap .. I really appreciate it :))

The discussion about the music industry was very interesting !

carole
28 Sep 2010, 07:35
Yeah thank you so much Suzie, no need to apologise, you did very well. Sounds like a really interesting interview, like Vicki said, interesting about the music industry. It's that catch 22 again. New rock see Meat Loaf and automatically put him in the classic rock box and so won't touch him, and classic rock say the song is new rock and won't touch it either. It's a pity radio have these faceless people who decide their playlist and not the DJ's.

Carole

Steve6
28 Sep 2010, 13:04
Suzie thanks very much. I appreciated you taking the time out to write that up for is.

The whole music industry discussion is something we already knew, it's very obvious how they conduct themselves. No suprises there.

"They ask what they could anticipate over 40. Meat says, you can expect pains after that. You start asking, why does this or that hurt?

That made me laugh. :lol:

28 Sep 2010, 13:25
Thank you Suzie !

Sarge
28 Sep 2010, 16:52
Thank you for the summary, Suzie.

The album was skewed to a younger audience so Classic Rock won't play it because they are scared of things like LIKE A ROSE. And New Rock won't play it because they hear Meat Loaf and automatically put him in Classic Rock. Going on Meat says LOTO can fit the Classic Rock demographic.

It's so f*cking stupid and annoying to put music in such categories. That's why a lot of interesting music never gets played on radio or TV - because it doesn't fit into people's narrow minds.

Meat elaborates on how Los Angeloser did well in the UK but that music still effects (or is it affects) the daily life over in the UK still and he isn't sure for how much longer that will be the case. Whereas in the US, music is not that impactful anymore (sadly).

How exactly did Los Angeloser "do well" in the UK, except for the fact that it was played on the radio a few times? With regard to the impact music used to have on people's lives: I agree. I stopped listening to the radio in the middle of the 1990s when most stations began to sound the same, I haven't watched MTV and other former music channels for years. What has become of the really cool DJs and VJs who loved music and knew what they were talking about? Where are they?

Who / what can trigger people's excitement for music these days? Music has to compete with a lot of other forms of entertainment - either the music industry hasn't realized that or they have already surrendered and are desperately trying to survive by creating "stars" via shows like Idol or X Factor and hunting file sharers.

I also noticed changes among the audience. When I went to rock concerts a few years ago, the audience usually consisted of people who were really into the music. When I go to concerts now, it happens more and more often that you're surrounded by bored old lazy middle and upper class people who show up with a "I paid a lot of money, now entertain me" attitude. Maybe those are people whose CD collections consist of "Greatest Hits / Best of" compilations only, as the hits are the only songs they seem to be willing to listen to. Maybe that is also a result of the radio playing the same stuff over and over again and the fact that we don't have any good, popular music shows on TV anymore. :shrug: I've seen outstanding performances that were spoilt by such audiences and their negative impact on the overall atmosphere.

Steve6
28 Sep 2010, 19:15
I also noticed changes among the audience. When I went to rock concerts a few years ago, the audience usually consisted of people who were really into the music. When I go to concerts now, it happens more and more often that you're surrounded by bored old lazy middle and upper class people who show up with a "I paid a lot of money, now entertain me" attitude. Maybe those are people whose CD collections consist of "Greatest Hits / Best of" compilations only, as the hits are the only songs they seem to be willing to listen to. Maybe that is also a result of the radio playing the same stuff over and over again and the fact that we don't have any good, popular music shows on TV anymore. :shrug: I've seen outstanding performances that were spoilt by such audiences and their negative impact on the overall atmosphere.

You don't really know that Sarge. People go to shows to have a good time not with the attitude "I paid a lot of money, now entertain me". If they had that attitude why go?? Spend it on something that they know will entertain them. You could class us Meat Loaf fans as hardcore ones, but the vast majority of people that go to his concerts aren't. But the impression I get from your post above that's a negative thing. Some people probaly don't even know HCTB is out, yet they will go to a concert on this tour. A lot of people are just casual music followers you just have to accept that. I don't think it's a negative thing.
When I look through the music channels on Sky Digital there's a great variety of music videos to suit all musical tastes. The only music program that was a great loss when it went was "Top of the pops". I disagree with your statement above.

Sarge
28 Sep 2010, 19:44
I disagree with your statement above.

That's okay but how can you say "you don't really know that"? I referred to concerts I've actually been to. It's great that you know more about these concerts than I know myself. :roll: There were concerts at which there were numerous people who where complaining throughout the entire show and I saw groups of people leaving just because the set list wasn't to their liking. I did not say that this happens on every concert and it somehow seems to depend on the city in wich the show takes place and on the average age of the audience - but it seems to happen more and more often.

As for TV, I wasn't talking about Pay TV.

olblueeyes
28 Sep 2010, 19:57
How exactly did Los Angeloser "do well" in the UK, except for the fact that it was played on the radio a few times?

On Radio 2's A-List for 4 weeks is hardly just "played on the radio a few times". For a song that ended up not even being released as a single I reckon LA did pretty well. Jeez, cut the guy some slack! He goes on a radio show and makes a positive comment that is not inaccurate - he didn't say it went top 10 - and someone on here always has to pour over every word and pick the hell out of it.

Sarge
28 Sep 2010, 20:16
On Radio 2's A-List for 4 weeks is hardly just "played on the radio a few times".

I know but did it have a huge impact? Apparently Los Angeloser hardly got any attention and recognition in spite of that. I wouldn't call that a success, sorry.

Steve6
29 Sep 2010, 00:20
That's okay but how can you say "you don't really know that"? I referred to concerts I've actually been to. It's great that you know more about these concerts than I know myself. :roll: There were concerts at which there were numerous people who where complaining throughout the entire show and I saw groups of people leaving just because the set list wasn't to their liking.

Was this at a Meat Loaf concert? Leaving because the set list wasn't to there liking sounds crazy to me. Paying nearly €70 for a ticket and doing that, I've never heard of it to be honest. They only have themselves to blame. Foolish people!!!

mariella
29 Sep 2010, 00:22
Thank you, Suzie ... as I was not able to listen to it.
Now, I am just confused as to what is the new single! is? But I am sure either Meat or some other source will clarify this soon!

(For now - I am Lost ... but I happen to like it on this island);) ..either one is 'a good thing'

suzieq
29 Sep 2010, 00:37
My pleasure to be able to help for once. Usually it's every one else who has great things to share and I'm the one thanking them.

As far as the single goes, I'm a bit lost too, but Meat's Leno appearance is in a week...maybe a repeat announcement of the single will make it more concrete.

mariella
29 Sep 2010, 00:50
My pleasure to be able to help for once. Usually it's every one else who has great things to share and I'm the one thanking them.

As far as the single goes, I'm a bit lost too, but Meat's Leno appearance is in a week...maybe a repeat announcement of the single will make it more concrete.
It is not about Who posts what on which site ....you Care and that is at the end of the day what people remember!!
Thankx, and we will see some more of this next week!

Love,
Mariella

Sarge
29 Sep 2010, 02:19
Was this at a Meat Loaf concert? Leaving because the set list wasn't to there liking sounds crazy to me. Paying nearly €70 for a ticket and doing that, I've never heard of it to be honest.

No, it wasn't a Meat Loaf show. I had to witness that at a Bruce Springsteen concert. It were predominantly older people who were leaving :? while a large number of young people (who probably couldn't afford a ticket) were sitting outside the venue, hoping to hear some of the music. Fans and people who aren't well-off usually spend their money on artists / shows they are really interested in and they only walk out early if the performance is very bad. People who just go to a concert because of the artists' famous name or a handful of hits they know are more likely to complain or leave early if they don't like it.

If music is an essential part of your life, you perceive and judge things differently than a casual listener. Many people seem to have restricted preferences and fixed expectations and aren't that open-minded anymore when it comes to music. I also think it's much harder to get people interested in music these days.

I remember a Meat Loaf concert at which I thought "can someone please replace the audience or provide me with a time machine to travel back to the 1980s". I was grateful and relieved when Meat showed his dissatisfaction with their lack of enthusiasm, the atmosphere got a little better after that.

nikox1
29 Sep 2010, 02:40
I know but did it have a huge impact? Apparently Los Angeloser hardly got any attention and recognition in spite of that. I wouldn't call that a success, sorry.

it got plenty of radio time to be fair, but it was never sung on any tv shows
etc etc,, not given a physical release either? so it was never gonna have an impact on the charts. it was a lazy promo push by the record label.
i know what your saying about some concerts, but as you said who ever pays for the ticket gets in? your always gonna get casual concert goers.

Julie in the rv mirror
29 Sep 2010, 06:33
No, it wasn't a Meat Loaf show. I had to witness that at a Bruce Springsteen concert. It were predominantly older people who were leaving :? while a large number of young people (who probably couldn't afford a ticket) were sitting outside the venue, hoping to hear some of the music. Fans and people who aren't well-off usually spend their money on artists / shows they are really interested in and they only walk out early if the performance is very bad. People who just go to a concert because of the artists' famous name or a handful of hits they know are more likely to complain or leave early if they don't like it.

If music is an essential part of your life, you perceive and judge things differently than a casual listener. Many people seem to have restricted preferences and fixed expectations and aren't that open-minded anymore when it comes to music. I also think it's much harder to get people interested in music these days.

I just want to backup everything that Sarge has been saying here. I have seen a big change in attitude amongst concertgoers as well. [Rant on] It's fine if someone is not a diehard fan of the band, but if they're playing a song people don't know or don't like, I wish they would STFU and don't ruin it for others who are enjoying it. I've gone to concerts where I don't know every song, but I feel that I've paid my money, so I'm going to LISTEN, and not text on my phone or chat with my neighbors, or go on my umteenth bathroom or beer run. And speaking of phones, I cannot believe the number of people who watch the entire show through the view finder on their phone or camera. Hello, there are live people on the stage! :roll: And besides, your arms are in my way. (I have no problems with people taking a pic here and there) I'm going to agree with Steve6 and say, yes, it is their loss, but it's also rude to others who have paid their money as well.[Rant off]

Speaking of Springsteen specifically, he has never been one to play a "Greatest Hits" show, and that's one of the reasons I love going to see him. I do think he does a good job of mixing it up, but for some people, ALL they want to hear are the hits, and they're not going to get that from him. Personally, I wish he would have played more slow songs the last couple of tours, but there would have been a mass exodus to the bathrooms if he did that. (And he knows it, I'm sure) I didn't see any shows on the Devils & Dust Tour, which was solo acoustic. But, from what I hear, there were often obnoxious people who would be calling for "Rosalita" or some such, to the point where Bruce had to ask people to STFU. Did they buy a ticket without knowing what type of show it was?

I think people's attention spans are just too short now days, and they have no patience to hear new things. It takes a lot more to excite/ interest people.

I also agree with what Sarge has said regarding people going to shows just because they can afford it- they surely don't appreciate it. That's why I think it's disgusting that bands like Bon Jovi charge $1300 for a front-row seat (granted, you get some swag, but it ain't all that). I'm sure there are tons of true fans who would love to be there and can't afford to. I would imagine the artist would prefer enthusiastic fans up front, but what do I know. :shrug:

OK, rant off now. ;)

Steve6
29 Sep 2010, 14:00
I also agree with what Sarge has said regarding people going to shows just because they can afford it- they surely don't appreciate it. That's why I think it's disgusting that bands like Bon Jovi charge $1300 for a front-row seat (granted, you get some swag, but it ain't all that). I'm sure there are tons of true fans who would love to be there and can't afford to. I would imagine the artist would prefer enthusiastic fans up front, but what do I know. :shrug:

OK, rant off now. ;)

That's fair enough you and Sarge have experienced it but I haven't yet. I'm guessing it does happen, but like I said above those people are just foolish IMO. What a waste of money and time. Go and gamble the money away.

I can understand some people only knowing and wanting the greatest hits at live shows, if I went to a Bruce Springsteen concert they are the only ones I'd want to hear too, because I'm just a casual fan of his. But I wouldn't moan about it, I'd listen and enjoy the other songs too.

But I'll speak up for a lot of people that go to concerts when I say "only a handful of people go to moan and complain". You can't paint all concert goers with the same brush. It's always only a small majority.

Julie in the rv mirror
29 Sep 2010, 16:38
I can understand some people only knowing and wanting the greatest hits at live shows, if I went to a Bruce Springsteen concert they are the only ones I'd want to hear too, because I'm just a casual fan of his. But I wouldn't moan about it, I'd listen and enjoy the other songs too.

My point is, many people don't try to listen and enjoy the other songs- they disturb others around them. And like I've said before, I should not be able to hear people talking at a rock concert- turn it up! ;)

But I'll speak up for a lot of people that go to concerts when I say "only a handful of people go to moan and complain". You can't paint all concert goers with the same brush. It's always only a small majority.

Small majority? :??: ;)

I'm a bit older than you, Steve, so I can see how people's behavior has changed over the years. Even if people don't openly complain, simply their lack of attention and/ or response can bring the show down, as Sarge has pointed out. Bruce, for one (I expect many performers are the same) feeds off of the crowd reaction. The better you give, the better you get. ;)

That's all I'll say for now, because I know we're off topic.

carole
29 Sep 2010, 23:34
And speaking of phones, I cannot believe the number of people who watch the entire show through the view finder on their phone or camera. Hello, there are live people on the stage! :roll: And besides, your arms are in my way. (I have no problems with people taking a pic here and there).

Yeah I had someone at the Houston show who had his mobile phone up in the air for practically the whole show. I thought at the time, I hope he's not going to upload it to youtube as it will have my awful singing in it.

Carole

Dave
30 Sep 2010, 15:35
New rock see Meat Loaf and automatically put him in the classic rock box and so won't touch him, and classic rock say the song is new rock and won't touch it either. It's a pity radio have these faceless people who decide their playlist and not the DJ's.

I know our local Clear Channel "hard rock" station asked for Song of Madness, but corporate said no go, did not fit the genre??

Vickip
30 Sep 2010, 15:43
Yeah I had someone at the Houston show who had his mobile phone up in the air for practically the whole show. I thought at the time, I hope he's not going to upload it to youtube as it will have my awful singing in it.

Carole

That's awful Carole :( It reminds me of the time during the Bat III tour when people posed in front of the stage to get their picture taken with Meat in the background :shock: I can't believe how disrespectful some people are to Meat, the band, and the rest of his fans who want to enjoy the show !!

I know our local Clear Channel "hard rock" station asked for Song of Madness, but corporate said no go, did not fit the genre??

You're kidding :roll: Make me wonder what genre THEY think Song Of Madness fits in to.

carole
30 Sep 2010, 23:28
That's awful Carole :( It reminds me of the time during the Bat III tour when people posed in front of the stage to get their picture taken with Meat in the background :shock: I can't believe how disrespectful some people are to Meat, the band, and the rest of his fans who want to enjoy the show !!

You're kidding :roll: Make me wonder what genre THEY think Song Of Madness fits in to.

That is very rude Vicki, for people to do that. And then there's the people going back and forth to the bathrooms. I go before the show, and don't drink during the show as I don't want to miss a second of the show. And I agree, what genre do they think Song of Madness belongs in. Just about every revew of this album has been excellent and they have listened to it with an open mind, but radio heads, or whoever it is who decides their playlist, still have their head in the sand and want to put Meat into a box of how they categorise his music and won't let him out and play him because it doesn't fit their 'genre'. Oh our audience doesn't want to listen to him, but have they f*cking asked them? No they just assume. Dickheads!!!!!

Carole

Steve6
01 Oct 2010, 17:45
That is very rude Vicki, for people to do that. And then there's the people going back and forth to the bathrooms. I go before the show, and don't drink during the show as I don't want to miss a second of the show. And I agree, what genre do they think Song of Madness belongs in. Just about every revew of this album has been excellent and they have listened to it with an open mind, but radio heads, or whoever it is who decides their playlist, still have their head in the sand and want to put Meat into a box of how they categorise his music and won't let him out and play him because it doesn't fit their 'genre'. Oh our audience doesn't want to listen to him, but have they f*cking asked them? No they just assume. Dickheads!!!!!

Carole

I agree with you Carole and Vickip. Song of Madness is the most modern sounding track you could ask for. Forget the whole genre thing, those folks don't know what their talking about. If it was to be released as a single I'd be hoping it would get lots of radio play, because in my opinion it's good enough. It's one of my favourite tracks from the album, and I'm sure radio listeners would agree if they heard it.

However maybe the corporate would change their mind if the song was to be released as a single maybe.

jbk
01 Oct 2010, 20:14
Music is alway,s about contexts or boxes, at least from a marketing perspective. Music still needs to be able to connect with an audience. I believe people evolve, so so does an audience. Maybe, the current album is lacking in chart success and support because it does not click with a younger audience or Meat 's older fans. I have Bought everything since Bat came out in 1977; yet i am not sure what audience Hang cool is made for? If a loyal fan is not sure how can the market know.? :-)

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Oct 2010, 21:44

I've seen that kind of thing at other shows, too. People are more about being "seen" at an event than interested in the event itself, and I think that's sad. It used to be, when I went to shows, everybody was into the show. It is very disrespectful to the performer. But some people feel, "I've paid my money, I'll do as I like". :roll:

Getting back to radio play, I too miss the days when there were actual DJ's on the radio who chose the songs and spoke to the audience. But I don't think radio has the audience it once did, and stations will do whatever they need to to cut costs, so they just go with taped programming. It's too bad. :(