PDA

View Full Version : More than 20 years - How it all began... and why it is ending now

Sarge
08 Jul 2010, 19:52
I'm writing this being aware of that this post is in danger of being moved or deleted. I hope the admins / mods will allow me to express my thoughts in this area of the forum.

It is hard to say this but I have decided to take a break from Meat Loaf and the MLUKFC. Maybe this is even going to be my last day as a Meat Loaf fan, after more than 20 years... :( I think most of you know why I've made this decision so I will not explain my motivation in detail as I do not intend to start an argument.

I have the feeling as if something in me has died today. Something that had been struggling to survive for some time but finally had to surrender.

This is a description of what being a fan has meant to me over the years:

Imagine the 1980s, a weird little country, a teenage girl sitting in front of a crappy black & white TV. Suddenly a chubby, sweaty, long-haired guy in a frilly shirt and with an incredible voice shows up on the screen and sings an absolutely stunning song. From that moment on the girl knew that she wanted a Meat Loaf record. Too bad, she lived in that weird little country where it was hard to get cool music. Years later the weird little country became part of a larger, equally weird country. But now there were record stores! The girl hadn't forgotten how much she was impressed by the fat man with the great voice.

Needless to say, that girl was me. I became a vinyl junkie and was happy whenever I managed to find another rare Meat Loaf item. Damn, that WTTN artwork just looks gorgeous in large format! Meat Loaf records - I believe I've never collected something else that eagerly.

I discovered the music of a crazy genius named Jim Steinman via Meat and I began to think that naked musclemen on motorbikes and giant bats were pretty cool. (Hey, I was a teenager!)

I have been to many rock concerts over the years but my first Meat Loaf show was the best of them all. Neither the Stones, Macca, Bruce, Neil Young, Ray Charles, etc. have ever impressed and moved me as much as Meat did on that that night. When attending further concerts, I was always surprised by how much effort he put into the performances.
You can see several shows in a row and they are all different. You never get the feeling as if it is the same routine every night. Paradise, for example - one of his oldest songs, it has been performed live countless times over three decades, yet he always comes up with new ideas to make it sound fresh and make the audience laugh. You never have the feeling as if he's gotten tired of it. That is real art, in my opinion.

I later discovered that he also was a very talented actor. Fight Club is one of the best movies ever made and I absolutely dig his performance in Pelts. I have seen almost all of his movies so far. I've even watched a few pretty bad movies just because Meat appeared in them. He has saved some of them from being boring and made them watchable, even if he had just a minor role. For a movie maniac like me it is especially embarassing to admit that I even bought the Bloodrayne DVD. :oops: *looking for a place to hide the thing :bleh:*

Seeing him on TV shows usually puts a big fat smile in my face because because of his wit.

Okay, there have been songs that aren't my cup of tea, there have been shows at which he was in bad shape... and there was Uwe Boll :sick: - it didn't bother me much. You can't please all the people all the time.

I did not defect in 2007 when even long-time die-hard fans tried to convince me that Meat was past his prime, that he had allegedly lost his voice and that it wouldn't make sense to spend money on concert tickets anymore. I just thought that that was not right. I couldn't turn my back on one of my favorite artists just because he was struggling with problems at that time. When I heard about what had happened in Newcastle, I was very sad and thought that he did not deserve to end his career like that - but somehow I could not believe that he would give up. Less than a year later he returned with some fantastic concerts. That's what I have always admired about him: His ability to overcome obstacles. He gets knocked down - he gets up again. I remember how much I enjoyed the Case De Carne shows, they were wonderful.

I really love HCTB (with a few exceptions, as you know ;)) and until yesterday I desperately longed for hearing those songs live. I was very happy about the positive concert reviews and almost jealous of the people who have tickets for the U.S. tour.

At the moment I don't know if I will ever go to a Meat Loaf concert again. It's breaking my heart but there are circumstances I am no longer willing to cope with and that spoil something that used to be good.

Meat, in case you're reading this, I'd like to thank you for everything I've mentioned above. You are truly an awesome entertainer, there has been a lot of fun, I've met many great people and made some really good friends because of you. I'm grateful for that. I love you, man, but you're making it really damn tough for me. I wish you all the best for the tour and I hope it will be a huge success.

This is in fact a nice forum and I've enjoyed being a part of it. I think I will miss Pud's sarcasm, Wario's crazy spelling, absurd polls and nutty videos (just watch out that the cat doesn't take revenge one fine day, LOL), RadioMaster's comments on horror movies, duke knooby, mzsee, AndrewG's knowledge about music, Evil One's analysis of certain recordings, Julie's Bruce-related posts, the enthusiasm of the ladies...

Will I return? I don't know. The Sarge has to leave the battlefield for a while to give the scars a chance to heal.

"Goodbye my friends, it was good to know you, I hope you understand..."
:0mghi2u:

*off to the pub for a Guinness*:cheers:

allrevvedup
08 Jul 2010, 19:57
Good luck Sarge...whatever you decide just make sure that it's the right one for you.

Monstro
08 Jul 2010, 20:02
Good luck Sarge, really hope we'll see you back here!!!!

And one last smile????????

it is especially embarassing to admit that I even bought the Bloodrayne DVD. :oops:

I bought the shirt he wore in it, shhhhhhhhhh lol

Sarge
08 Jul 2010, 20:03
Well, the shirt was nice, and I think he was lucky to have the scene with the girls. :-)

Devil's Son
08 Jul 2010, 20:08
well first of all: i understand you and we'll keep in touch no matter what. and to quote you: "I love you, man, but you're making it really damn tough for me"
this is one reason why i'm not often here and gave my account away another one is no one tels me what i like or not. no i'm not interested in discussion or argument.
let me say this: i tried to come back but once you're on the road there is no way back. this is what i learned.
meet you further up on the road, sarge :cheers:

:cool:

The Flying Mouse
08 Jul 2010, 21:07
:twisted: Sorry to see you go, but hope you feel a little better after taking some time out and rejoin the community.

Wario
08 Jul 2010, 21:13
good luck sarge. your sentements teared me up. Rest assured Ill do everything in my power to keep my damn cat in line :twisted:

hope you come back soon. You are a good foil. :D

Julie in the rv mirror
08 Jul 2010, 21:40
I'm sorry to see you go. :( Take care, maybe we'll see you soon.

Bubbles
08 Jul 2010, 21:59
Sorry to see you go, but hope you feel a little better after taking some time out and rejoin the community.

what he said :)

Sarge
08 Jul 2010, 22:06
we'll keep in touch no matter what [...]
let me say this: i tried to come back but once you're on the road there is no way back. this is what i learned.
meet you further up on the road, sarge :cheers:

Thank you my friend, I know what I owe to you.

Further up on the road, indeed. Check the first lines of the chorus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZQwj5EMj0 ;)

@ Mouse, Bubbles: Thanks, folks. Mabey the Guinness will help.

@ Wario: Keep up the work on YT :twisted: and give my regards to the cat. :D

@ Julie: Maybe we'll meet again somewhere else, maybe I'll come back to this place. Let's wait and see.

Sarge
08 Jul 2010, 22:07
Mabey

Damn, blame that on Wario. :lawl:

Evil One
08 Jul 2010, 22:21
You'll be back, once your spelling improves! :p

Pudding
08 Jul 2010, 22:27
I think I will miss Pud's sarcasm,

Since when have I ever been sarcastic :saint: Good luck mate, it's sad to see you go.

roomster
08 Jul 2010, 22:57
I'm sorry to see you leave Sarge :(

I hope you'll come back sometime in the future.

AndrewG
08 Jul 2010, 23:11
Sorry to see you go Sarge. Always thought your posts were really interesting to read and extremely well balanced. Definitely one of the best additions to the community in the last few years. Hope you will come back. I took a very short break but decided to come back as there is so much more to the board than a few misses and the occasional disappointment, mostly it is about good friends and a good laugh. Where would be without all these crazy people?!

I totally agree with you about the Casa shows. There was a renewed energy which was great to see. As I've said on many occasions, it was one of the best summer's ever. For me any more was not really necessary but then too much is never enough I guess.

madagascar
09 Jul 2010, 14:05
Sarge will find her way back the same as AndrewG, I bet.

Evil One
09 Jul 2010, 14:06
Although perhaps not as quickly! :twisted:

loaferman61
10 Jul 2010, 18:11
I'm writing this being aware of that this post is in danger of being moved or deleted. I hope the admins / mods will allow me to express my thoughts in this area of the forum.

It is hard to say this but I have decided to take a break from Meat Loaf and the MLUKFC. Maybe this is even going to be my last day as a Meat Loaf fan, after more than 20 years... :( I think most of you know why I've made this decision so I will not explain my motivation in detail as I do not intend to start an argument.

I have the feeling as if something in me has died today. Something that had been struggling to survive for some time but finally had to surrender.

This is a description of what being a fan has meant to me over the years:

Imagine the 1980s, a weird little country, a teenage girl sitting in front of a crappy black & white TV. Suddenly a chubby, sweaty, long-haired guy in a frilly shirt and with an incredible voice shows up on the screen and sings an absolutely stunning song. From that moment on the girl knew that she wanted a Meat Loaf record. Too bad, she lived in that weird little country where it was hard to get cool music. Years later the weird little country became part of a larger, equally weird country. But now there were record stores! The girl hadn't forgotten how much she was impressed by the fat man with the great voice.

Needless to say, that girl was me. I became a vinyl junkie and was happy whenever I managed to find another rare Meat Loaf item. Damn, that WTTN artwork just looks gorgeous in large format! Meat Loaf records - I believe I've never collected something else that eagerly.

I discovered the music of a crazy genius named Jim Steinman via Meat and I began to think that naked musclemen on motorbikes and giant bats were pretty cool. (Hey, I was a teenager!)

I have been to many rock concerts over the years but my first Meat Loaf show was the best of them all. Neither the Stones, Macca, Bruce, Neil Young, Ray Charles, etc. have ever impressed and moved me as much as Meat did on that that night. When attending further concerts, I was always surprised by how much effort he put into the performances.
You can see several shows in a row and they are all different. You never get the feeling as if it is the same routine every night. Paradise, for example - one of his oldest songs, it has been performed live countless times over three decades, yet he always comes up with new ideas to make it sound fresh and make the audience laugh. You never have the feeling as if he's gotten tired of it. That is real art, in my opinion.

I later discovered that he also was a very talented actor. Fight Club is one of the best movies ever made and I absolutely dig his performance in Pelts. I have seen almost all of his movies so far. I've even watched a few pretty bad movies just because Meat appeared in them. He has saved some of them from being boring and made them watchable, even if he had just a minor role. For a movie maniac like me it is especially embarassing to admit that I even bought the Bloodrayne DVD. :oops: *looking for a place to hide the thing :bleh:*

Seeing him on TV shows usually puts a big fat smile in my face because because of his wit.

Okay, there have been songs that aren't my cup of tea, there have been shows at which he was in bad shape... and there was Uwe Boll :sick: - it didn't bother me much. You can't please all the people all the time.

I did not defect in 2007 when even long-time die-hard fans tried to convince me that Meat was past his prime, that he had allegedly lost his voice and that it wouldn't make sense to spend money on concert tickets anymore. I just thought that that was not right. I couldn't turn my back on one of my favorite artists just because he was struggling with problems at that time. When I heard about what had happened in Newcastle, I was very sad and thought that he did not deserve to end his career like that - but somehow I could not believe that he would give up. Less than a year later he returned with some fantastic concerts. That's what I have always admired about him: His ability to overcome obstacles. He gets knocked down - he gets up again. I remember how much I enjoyed the Case De Carne shows, they were wonderful.

I really love HCTB (with a few exceptions, as you know ;)) and until yesterday I desperately longed for hearing those songs live. I was very happy about the positive concert reviews and almost jealous of the people who have tickets for the U.S. tour.

At the moment I don't know if I will ever go to a Meat Loaf concert again. It's breaking my heart but there are circumstances I am no longer willing to cope with and that spoil something that used to be good.

Meat, in case you're reading this, I'd like to thank you for everything I've mentioned above. You are truly an awesome entertainer, there has been a lot of fun, I've met many great people and made some really good friends because of you. I'm grateful for that. I love you, man, but you're making it really damn tough for me. I wish you all the best for the tour and I hope it will be a huge success.

This is in fact a nice forum and I've enjoyed being a part of it. I think I will miss Pud's sarcasm, Wario's crazy spelling, absurd polls and nutty videos (just watch out that the cat doesn't take revenge one fine day, LOL), RadioMaster's comments on horror movies, duke knooby, mzsee, AndrewG's knowledge about music, Evil One's analysis of certain recordings, Julie's Bruce-related posts, the enthusiasm of the ladies...

Will I return? I don't know. The Sarge has to leave the battlefield for a while to give the scars a chance to heal.

"Goodbye my friends, it was good to know you, I hope you understand..."
:0mghi2u:

*off to the pub for a Guinness*:cheers:

I will probably get in trouble for asking but I still don't see why you are leaving explained. I obviously missed something and am trying to ask a legitimate question. Can someone please explain via PM rather than in this thread? I am not trying to stir controversy.

LisaT
10 Jul 2010, 19:11
I will probably get in trouble for asking but I still don't see why you are leaving explained. I obviously missed something and am trying to ask a legitimate question. Can someone please explain via PM rather than in this thread? I am not trying to stir controversy.

This goes for me too. I would appreciate a PM about this, as I don't understand why Sarge has left either.

LisaT
10 Jul 2010, 19:49
Have just read Sarge's posts and reckon I understand now!

Devil's Son
11 Jul 2010, 11:57
Thank you my friend, I know what I owe to you.

it's ok, that's what friends for.

mszee
14 Jul 2010, 15:32
I will miss you as well...I've enjoyed your passionate and honest posts over the years...

My only hope is...that most that have said good byes here do come back and I hope this will happen with you.

It's not just ML fan club...it is OUR club...club of people who enjoy socializing with each other and be it not for the internet and this forum wouldn't have ever even heard of each other...

If ain't real -- fake it
If it ain't yours -- take it
If it don't exist -- you make it
And if it ain't broke -- break it! (i.e. take a break and come back!)

Good luck in everything that you do anyway!

Breeze
02 Aug 2010, 23:33
I don't know the poster so I don't feel I can ask for a pm someone who knows me can you tell me the gist of why he's leaving?

Pudding
03 Aug 2010, 03:09
Sarge has already left the building, nearly a month ago now, probably best to leave it alone methinks.

Sarge
10 Aug 2010, 03:09
After drowning my frustration in Irish beer, watching The Art of Negative Thinking about a dozen times, listening to The White Stripes and Billy Joel's Attila album :wtf: for too long and suffering from a serious case of Wario madness withdrawal syndrome, I've come to terms with the issue and decided to tentatively return to the forum.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have come back if someone hadn't started a thread titled "Confused". :p :twisted:

I've missed you, folks. :-)

roomster
10 Aug 2010, 06:27
Welcome back Sarge :D You've been missed.

Wario
10 Aug 2010, 06:55
Its cause of me shes back no doubt :twisted::twisted:

stretch37
10 Aug 2010, 07:51
After drowning my frustration in Irish beer, watching The Art of Negative Thinking about a dozen times, listening to The White Stripes and Billy Joel's Attila album :wtf: for too long and suffering from a serious case of Wario madness withdrawal syndrome, I've come to terms with the issue and decided to tentatively return to the forum.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have come back if someone hadn't started a thread titled "Confused". :p :twisted:

I've missed you, folks. :-)

Great to see you back! :D

AndyK
10 Aug 2010, 10:19
Welcome back Sarge ... hopefully you'll bring a little sanity back to counteract the madness ...

10 Aug 2010, 11:54
Welcome back Sarge ... hopefully you'll bring a little sanity back to counteract the madness ...

Perform a miracle ? ;) LOL...

madagascar
10 Aug 2010, 12:50
Sarge will find her way back the same as AndrewG, I bet.

The Flying Mouse
10 Aug 2010, 14:07
suffering from a serious case of Wario madness withdrawal syndrome,

:twisted: You are a sick, sick, little puppy :wtf: :nuts:

We would have let you take him with you you know? :p

Good to have you back on the boards :up:

AndrewG
10 Aug 2010, 17:08
Welcome back Sarge!!! :))

Sarge
10 Aug 2010, 17:29
Thank you. :-)

hopefully you'll bring a little sanity

What's that?

We would have let you take him with you you know? :p

We'd make an odd couple. :))

duke knooby
10 Aug 2010, 18:29
i missed you too

Smithie
10 Aug 2010, 20:48
Welcome back Sarge!

Sarge
11 Aug 2010, 00:36
:cheers:

Now I can bother you with German efficiency again. ;)