PDA

View Full Version : Born To Rock Show

meatloaf-unofficial
26 Jul 2009, 16:17
I hope I'm able to post this but some other people here may be thinking on the same wave length as me in the fact that besides the Anything For Love video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKQtagZnDzA - shot live in 1996 (I think it was berlin), and there also being footage of Rubber and Bat from the show aswell, could there not be a full show of this concert and if so, why was it not released?

I noticed on the video there and also on the photos in the Around The World CD, that there is a camera crane. Reason why I point this out is, Meat must of had some reason for filming it because don't cranes and camera equip + labour cost quite a bit, and why would you bring one in to record a few songs and not the whole show?

It just got me thinking. Like with the Rockoplast show, could this be released on DVD too at sometime in the future? It certainly would make excellent footage :-)

Any others thought the same or am I on mi jack jones with this one? :lol:

Evil One
26 Jul 2009, 16:20
We can hope.

RadioMaster
26 Jul 2009, 17:17
As far as i know only thouse three songs were recorded. There was a tv show called "On tour with..." where the recordings aired. My understanding was that they didnt need more then three songs for their show, so didnt bother to record more. But Evil's right, we can only hope :shrug:

Evil One
26 Jul 2009, 17:20
Be nice if they left the cameras rolling for the whole show!

Jayd
26 Jul 2009, 17:30
Was this not the tour that was filmed at The Beacon Theartre in New York, and broadcast on Channel 4 quite a few times ?

If so, this could easily be put onto DVD/Blu-ray, but who owns the rights, and if sales warrant a release, is a different matter.

meatloaf-unofficial
26 Jul 2009, 17:45
Was this not the tour that was filmed at The Beacon Theartre in New York, and broadcast on Channel 4 quite a few times ?

If so, this could easily be put onto DVD/Blu-ray, but who owns the rights, and if sales warrant a release, is a different matter.

No it isn't the same show. I have the Docu "On Tour With Meat" and I'm sure it says that its filmed in berlin - though it could be wrong...

"Live In The Neighbourhood" was the show your thinking of. Wonder if the whole show was recorded there aswell...

hmmmm, Meat if you read this, please shed some light :-)

Sarge
26 Jul 2009, 17:46
Interesting questions.

It's definitely something I'd love to see on DVD. The '96 shows are some of the best he's ever done. There were so many highlights, you can't list them all.

Meat and the band were just fantastic and the shows lasted about three (!) hours, as far as I remember. There were absolutely stunning performances of Original Sin and Left in the Dark, let alone Paradise which was extraordinarily funny and took about 30 minutes of the show. I also liked the idea of introducing songs by showing clips from old movies.

roomster
26 Jul 2009, 18:01
I have the Docu "On Tour With Meat"

Is this item to be bought somewhere?

meatloaf-unofficial
26 Jul 2009, 18:07
Interesting questions.

It's definitely something I'd love to see on DVD. The '96 shows are some of the best he's ever done. There were so many highlights, you can't list them all.

Meat and the band were just fantastic and the shows lasted about three (!) hours, as far as I remember. There were absolutely stunning performances of Original Sin and Left in the Dark, let alone Paradise which was extraordinarily funny and took about 30 minutes of the show. I also liked the idea of introducing songs by showing clips from old movies.

Was a car not used in Paradise or something as I can remember seeing somewhere? Being lowered down from the trussing. It looked like a fab concert - too bad I was FAR too young to see him back then lol

Sarge
26 Jul 2009, 18:38
Was a car not used in Paradise or something as I can remember seeing somewhere?

Yes, it gave Patti the chance to quickly change costumes while Meat pretended to be in the car with her. A whip was involved, too. :twisted:

It looked like a fab concert - too bad I was FAR too young to see him back then lol

That's one of the reasons why it would be great if there was a professional recording of the entire concert. I guess there are many young fans who'd like to see it.

AndyK
26 Jul 2009, 19:44
That's one of the reasons why it would be great if there was a professional recording of the entire concert. I guess there are many young fans who'd like to see it.

And a fair few older ones who'd like to see it again! :))

RadioMaster
26 Jul 2009, 20:45
Be nice if they left the cameras rolling for the whole show!
theres a difference between a recording of the whole show and footage from cameras rolling. They'd have to find someone to mix audio and video first. And also the chance is quite high you wont have enough of that footage left to produce a whole concert dvd.
And a fair few older ones who'd like to see it again! :))

now now, it's not our fault your memory went with the age mr king :))

evil nickname
26 Jul 2009, 21:28
They'd have to find someone to mix audio and video first. And also the chance is quite high you wont have enough of that footage left to produce a whole concert dvd.

As to your first point: there are more than enough capable audio and video-editors in the world, so that should not be a problem.

As to the second: then you have an incomplete show. To which you add other existing material that doesn't fill a DVD on it's own, throw in some extra's, et voila, you got a 'from the archives' DVD.

RadioMaster
26 Jul 2009, 22:28
I've worded this wrong. what i meant was finding someone who is actually familiar with this particular show (eg someone who was part of the recording process in 96), and that task is probably a little harder...

sure they could find someone...and sure they could dig up more unreleased material and put it together for an archive dvd, but I dont think any record company would spend the needed amount of money on it, as it's just too risky.

meatloaf-unofficial
26 Jul 2009, 23:03
but I'm sure 100% it would sell and they'd deffo make a profit!! :-)

RadioMaster
26 Jul 2009, 23:14
It'd sell among the hardcore fans! You would get maybe 50 or even a hundred people to buy it. That's not nearly enough for them to take the risk of investing money in it.

Who actually owns the rights is another matter which should be considered.

Pudding
26 Jul 2009, 23:19
It just got me thinking.

Sounds dangerous :lmao:

but I'm sure 100% it would sell and they'd deffo make a profit!! :-)

What evidence do you have to support that claim?

I'd like an official DVD and CD released from each of Meats tours but I can't see it ever happening. Meat should look into selling stuff like this via .net

Steve6
26 Jul 2009, 23:48
I'd like an official DVD and CD released from each of Meats tours but I can't see it ever happening. Meat should look into selling stuff like this via .net

I wouldn't. Anytime Meat Loaf releases a new CD there should be new songs on them. Not the same songs like "Bat" "Afl" etc released over and over again. There's enough live versions out there already. I highly doubt his record company would release a DVD and CD for each tour anyway.

meatloaf-unofficial
27 Jul 2009, 00:30
Sounds dangerous :lmao:

What evidence do you have to support that claim?

OK... so I dont have any evidence but I'd like to believe it would :D - but we can only live in hope.... :pray:

CarylB
27 Jul 2009, 00:48
I wouldn't. Anytime Meat Loaf releases a new CD there should be new songs on them. Not the same songs like "Bat" "Afl" etc released over and over again. There's enough live versions out there already. I highly doubt his record company would release a DVD and CD for each tour anyway.

You might not, but clearly there are many who would like this.

I think that recordings from concerts would be great to have as permanent reminders of a wonderful night or nights, and the fact that certain "standards" would always be on them, because Meat would include them as they're what the vast majority of his audiences go to hear, would imo be fine .. they were part of that concert, and live would always be a bit different rather than another studio "edit".

I agree that a DVD from a tour is something that could be sold via the fanclub (although at present there isn't one!) .. but given the numbers I suspect the cost of producing one that was of a standard, both in terms of sound and vision, that Meat would want to release might outweigh the revenue generated. CDs from the soundboard recordings would I'm sure fly off the fanclub shelves, but again the numbers might well not justify the cost of producing them to the standard that Meat would want.

Caryl

Steve6
27 Jul 2009, 01:12
I agree that a DVD from a tour is something that could be sold via the fanclub (although at present there isn't one!) .. but given the numbers I suspect the cost of producing one that was of a standard, both in terms of sound and vision, that Meat would want to release might outweigh the revenue generated. CDs from the soundboard recordings would I'm sure fly off the fanclub shelves, but again the numbers might well not justify the cost of producing them to the standard that Meat would want.

Caryl

Listen there's a lot of very smart people out there who bring their own little recorder to the shows and then make bootlegs of it. I know it's wrong but people do it. There's loads of bootlegs of Meat's live shows out there already as it is, and for this reason I don't think they'll ever issue CD's from soundboard recordings, and I'm sure if you know the right people and look in the right places you'll get DVD bootlegs of his shows aswell. I have none but I'm 100% sure you'll get them. It's these kind of things the music industry is trying to fight from happening.

Pudding
27 Jul 2009, 02:06
OK... so I dont have any evidence but I'd like to believe it would :D

I'd like to believe that too, but at the end of the day it's all about money, can it sell and what's its selling points.

Live with MSO had a symphony orchestra, Storytellers was part of the VH1 series, 3 Bats live was the 3 Bats. Born To Rock has nothing unique that I can see that makes it sellable that'll warrant the cost of mass producing it.

CarylB
27 Jul 2009, 02:27
Listen there's a lot of very smart people out there who bring their own little recorder to the shows and then make bootlegs of it. I know it's wrong but people do it. There's loads of bootlegs of Meat's live shows out there already as it is, and for this reason I don't think they'll ever issue CD's from soundboard recordings, and I'm sure if you know the right people and look in the right places you'll get DVD bootlegs of his shows aswell. I have none but I'm 100% sure you'll get them. It's these kind of things the music industry is trying to fight from happening.

We seem to be straying away from the issue here. We all know there are bootlegs of shows .. they're illegal, they're wrong and I suspect of dubious quality .. I would never touch them.

But this thread isn't about bootlegs, it's about people expressing a view that they'd like to be able to buy legal DVDs or CDs of Meat's shows, and I said that much as I'd love this to be possible, I doubted there would be sufficient market for and margin in producing them to the standard Meat would wish routinely for every tour.

As Pud has pointed out, those which have been produced and released all had a unique selling point which made it feasible to mass produce .. and much as I'd love to be able to buy a DVD or CD of every tour via the fanclub, as I said, the numbers imo wouldn't warrant the production costs .. nothing to do with "competing" against inferior bootlegs, because I'm sure fans would prefer something official and of a good standard were it available; but the economics mitigate against it.

Caryl

Steve6
27 Jul 2009, 03:04
As Pud has pointed out, those which have been produced and released all had a unique selling point which made it feasible to mass produce .. and much as I'd love to be able to buy a DVD or CD of every tour via the fanclub, as I said, the numbers imo wouldn't warrant the production costs .. nothing to do with "competing" against inferior bootlegs, because I'm sure fans would prefer something official and of a good standard were it available; but the economics mitigate against it.
Caryl

Meat Loaf has audio recordings of all his live shows. He probaly has thousands stashed away in his house I think. He doesn't have the final say on what gets released or when.. that's the record company's decision. If they think they'll make plenty of €€€€€ by doing what you mentioned above, then their in on it. But if it doesn't have a chance of making plenty of €€€€ then there's no hope I'm afraid.

Pudding
27 Jul 2009, 03:17
But if it doesn't have a chance of making plenty of €€€€ then there's no hope I'm afraid.

Correct

RadioMaster
27 Jul 2009, 08:27
wasnt there the idea of working with Meat's management to produce those live cds of shows you buy right afterwards. As far as I remember there wasnt any interest from their side, so probably wouldnt be either for similar projects.
Look at the 3 bats cd, even Meat was against releasing that one.
They only go for it if theyre sure to make a bunch of $$$.

SueW
27 Jul 2009, 09:58
On the 1996 tour the Bremen concert was recorded and the company who filmed it was called Sunshine TV.

SueW
http://www.KasimInfo.com

Evil One
27 Jul 2009, 11:37
One possibility is that Meat is saving all these up to act as a sort of retirement fund.

Pudding
27 Jul 2009, 11:53
That depends on whether Meat has any rights to the footage.

meatloaf-unofficial
27 Jul 2009, 16:01
wasnt there the idea of working with Meat's management to produce those live cds of shows you buy right afterwards. As far as I remember there wasnt any interest from their side, so probably wouldnt be either for similar projects.
Look at the 3 bats cd, even Meat was against releasing that one.
They only go for it if theyre sure to make a bunch of $$$.

was just wondering the same thing. I'm sure I hear around 2003/4 that Meat was thinking about selling live recordings on the website - either as digital or hard copy cds.

I know that if you have the right software you can record a good copy of a show via the soundboard - add it online and you'll make money - doesn't have to be via CD does it?

There was an article in the Performing Musician regarding recording live shows via the soundboard into a laptop using pro tools. Great little read I have to say. ;-)

AndrewG
27 Jul 2009, 16:40
This has been referred to a gazillion times.
Meat came on the board in Jan 04 saying he was looking into selling each show of the UK tour someway via eBay or so.
Indeed this never materialised.

It would be nice but quite difficult to do. I think one of the few acts who has done this legit bootlegging of each show is Pearl Jam (Pearl Jam Official Bootlegs ((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Jam_Official_Bootlegs).)).

BTW how many promises do you read on jimsteinman.com that never happen (!). ;-)

samurai7
27 Jul 2009, 16:52
Genesis did exactly that in 2007, via a company called themusic.com, where all shows on that tour were available to order on CD.
Simply Red and Wet Wet Wet have done the Instant Live thing where the CD recordings were available straight after the show. This was a service provided by Live Nation, if I'm not mistaken.

Pudding
27 Jul 2009, 22:29
Meat came on the board in Jan 04 saying he was looking into selling each show of the UK tour someway via eBay or so.
Indeed this never materialised.

It would be nice but quite difficult to do. I think one of the few acts who has done this legit bootlegging of each show is Pearl Jam

Unless you're going to flog a bootleg of a show pretty much straight away, an after-the-fact recording isn't really going to sell.

I can't see why more artists haven't jumped on Pearl Jam's bandwagon with this. Even if Meat only sold 100 copies (which is well under-estimated) of each show for £5, less cost of supplies and to pay some muppet to do burn them, they'd still make well over £400 profit. Pearl Jam have sold over 3.5 million copies.

Wario
28 Jul 2009, 00:29
Tonight I'm gonna breaking into the vault and stealing the soundboards.

Problem solved :cool:

Once i return with the goods any chance of me becoming an administrator? :mrgreen:

RadioMaster
28 Jul 2009, 09:38
nope, but there's a good chance of getting banned :sneaky:

Pudding
28 Jul 2009, 09:43
Would that be banned before or after you got a copy of the soundboard recordings? :))

AndrewG
28 Jul 2009, 09:54
You're not suggesting there are hypocrites around here are you???

Pudding
28 Jul 2009, 11:09
Yes I am :))

Smithie
18 Aug 2009, 18:04
I've always wondered why a tour dvd wasn't released from this era. I'd much rather have a Bat 2 tour dvd than the 3 Bats dvd. The 96 tour would also make a great dvd. The Bat II: Everything Louder tour and the Born to Rock tour were two of Meat's best tours.

Evil One
18 Aug 2009, 18:34
I'd rather have them all!

Dave
18 Aug 2009, 18:53
Okay, have to jump in here and throw in my two cents...

Jimmy Buffett has been a pioneer in getting his music out to the masses. The guy has made himself into a marketing machine, gotten rid of a major label, allows anyone with internet access the chance to listen to his concerts LIVE for FREE, broadcasts all of his concerts LIVE via Sirius/XM, and still manages to bring in the largest crowds of all the shows during the summer tour season in America.

Go figure...

Dave

Wario
18 Aug 2009, 21:32
I've always wondered why a tour dvd wasn't released from this era. I'd much rather have a Bat 2 tour dvd than the 3 Bats dvd. The 96 tour would also make a great dvd. The Bat II: Everything Louder tour and the Born to Rock tour were two of Meat's best tours.

Meh they go down the tube when the forgotten tour, LB&GG Tour, shows its face.

If that ever gets released im leaving the forums and eating a dead skunk

RadioMaster
18 Aug 2009, 21:37
dont think there's much chance for that as there's absolutely no marketable value in this tour. music dvds are released to sell, so every product needs a hook. MSO had, well the MSO and 3 Bats had the three bats. Rockpalast was on the first tour after BOOH, and probably the first show to be recorded professionally.
Besides I dont think there's even a pro shot recording to release.

The only chance for all those "lost tapes" to be released will be, face it, after his death. Just look at the money they're making with Michael Jackson now.

Evil One
18 Aug 2009, 22:02
Unless Meat's planning to release a box set to help with his retirement?

RadioMaster
18 Aug 2009, 22:03
the big question is if he owns the rights.

Evil One
18 Aug 2009, 23:01
I'm sure he has the rights to anything he has stashed away that hasn't been released by anyone else.

Wario
19 Aug 2009, 00:49
Anyone wanna take a trip to the vault tomorrow? i need some spare crowbars