PDA

View Full Version : just won't quit

greg
11 Feb 2009, 17:00
does any one have a live recording of meat doin just wont quit , on dvd:(

Evil One
11 Feb 2009, 17:55
Such a thing does not exist unfortunately. Meat only sang it live once, on the Storytellers tour.

RadioMaster
11 Feb 2009, 18:10
cant remember how often weve discussed this so far lol

allrevvedup
11 Feb 2009, 18:34
once?:D

MeatGrl1
11 Feb 2009, 18:35
Would love to hear this one live :cool: !!

greg
11 Feb 2009, 18:48
what a shame cos the more i listen to this track , i love it more & more , i wonder why he only sung it live once

Evil One
11 Feb 2009, 18:58
I think Meat's reason for not doing it is that it was too emotional to sing.

tonyloaf
11 Feb 2009, 21:19
i sure would love to be in the crowd when he done that love that song!

Evil One
11 Feb 2009, 22:27
http://www.kasiminfo.com/Tours/Meat/StoryTellers/ST0108.html

For a bit more info

meatloaf-unofficial
12 Feb 2009, 11:08
I only wish there would be a recorded version of the track :-P

Though we could hope for future gigs right - can we not dream???:lol:

Moonlight shadow
12 Feb 2009, 21:23
It's a wonderfull song.
I want to get it live !:|
Please, Meat, we love that song. Include it nextly.:-P

carole
12 Feb 2009, 21:47
Such a thing does not exist unfortunately. Meat only sang it live once, on the Storytellers tour.

I've heard he also did For Crying Out Loud on the Storytellers tour which isn't on the DVD or CD, don't know what oters there are not on them. Wouldn't it be great if they released another DVD or CD with those tracks that aren't on the other ones. I'd love to hear FCOL from the Storytellers tour, from what people have said who were lucky to be there, it was spectacular when Meat sang it.

Carole

Dave
12 Feb 2009, 22:45
I've heard he also did For Crying Out Loud on the Storytellers tour which isn't on the DVD or CD, don't know what oters there are not on them. Wouldn't it be great if they released another DVD or CD with those tracks that aren't on the other ones. I'd love to hear FCOL from the Storytellers tour, from what people have said who were lucky to be there, it was spectacular when Meat sang it.

Carole

The Storytellers show in Detroit (where I was) included all seven songs from the original Bat Out Of Hell album.

carole
13 Feb 2009, 03:44
Wow, that would have been fantastic. Really wish this tour had come to Australia, we've missed out on so much over here.

Carole

RadioMaster
13 Feb 2009, 09:47

Carole

As far as I know there has only one show from the tour been recorded (the one on the DVD/CD + a few tracks from the Hard Rock show, which was not part of the storytellers tour)
The only chance of getting a recording would be if Meat releases some of his soundboard recordings, which he supposedly keeps from every show 1985 onwards.
The chances of that are not too good though. Maybe some of them get released after his death to make a few bucks, but I dont see any of those recordings appear in the next few years.

rocketwaveuk
21 Feb 2009, 19:53
FCOL on the LIAWTMSO dvd was great , and on cd LATW.

The Flying Mouse
21 Feb 2009, 19:55
:twisted: If I remember rightly, Meat said the version of FCOL on LATW was taped during soundcheck, and the song was never performed live before an audience.

RadioMaster
21 Feb 2009, 22:09
he claims a lot when the day is long though...

I think we've discussed this a while ago, that there's at least 4 or 5 times the song has been proven to be performed between 78 and 04 (unlike he claims on the MSO commentary)
I think some of them were once or twice on the storytellers tour and a show in Belfast during the late nineties.
Another example: In Oct 08 at the first show of the second european 3 Bats tour leg, he claimed to be performing IGLHFBOU for the first time since 83, which is proven wrong, as it was a staple in the 88 tour for example.

These are just fun little stories, 99% of the audience wont bother to check anyway, so they shouldnt be taken too seriously.

Sarge
21 Feb 2009, 23:48
[...]
These are just fun little stories, 99% of the audience wont bother to check anyway, so they shouldnt be taken too seriously.

Maybe he doesn't do that on purpose, maybe he just doesn't remember... ;)

RadioMaster
22 Feb 2009, 09:35
a possibility at his age lol

Sarge
22 Feb 2009, 13:47
a possibility at his age lol

It's impressive how complimentary and polite you are, young man...

It doesn't necessarily have to do anything with age, just consider how many shows he has done over the years. I bet you don't remember most things you did a few years ago, do you?

Anyway, many of his stories are quite entertaining, whether true or not. :)) I wonder what kind of stories you'd tell if you worked in showbiz. :twisted:

RadioMaster
22 Feb 2009, 16:07
youd be surprised lol

The Flying Mouse
23 Feb 2009, 18:20

I think we've discussed this a while ago, that there's at least 4 or 5 times the song has been proven to be performed between 78 and 04 (unlike he claims on the MSO commentary)
I think some of them were once or twice on the storytellers tour and a show in Belfast during the late nineties.
Another example: In Oct 08 at the first show of the second european 3 Bats tour leg, he claimed to be performing IGLHFBOU for the first time since 83, which is proven wrong, as it was a staple in the 88 tour for example.

:twisted: I believe that Meat perormed parts of the song during the Storytellers tour, but MSO was the first time he'd sung the complete song since the early days.
Meat has said that himself.

I know Meat has told a tall tale or two in his time, but I must admit I find this cynasism over everything Meat says to be wearing a little thin :roll:

If Meat has sung it so much, WHERE ARE THE BOOTLEGS :??:

LucyK!
23 Feb 2009, 18:37

Given Meat's lifestyle in the 80's it's not surprising he got the years mixed up, it was 20 years ago! Don't get me wrong, I don't take every word he says as concrete because at the end of the day he's human just like the rest of us, but I'm with Neil in that not every little thing has to be bull:shit:

Also agreed about the bootlegs, FCOL is so loved that I'll be stunned if he's performed the full length version without a copy appearing here and there

RadioMaster
23 Feb 2009, 19:12
it's nothing to do with cynicism, I was simply pointing out that 99% of the audience wont bother to check those stories anyway. He has a reputation of twisting the truth once in a while, that's something different to mixing up or forgetting things. If I'm a cynic by pointing that out, so be it.

I personally dont really care about those stories, and I take them with a pinch of salt. And at the end of the day I'm a fan because of the music and performance of the loaf, not because of the stories he's telling. (except for storytellers :)))

The Flying Mouse
23 Feb 2009, 19:29
it's nothing to do with cynicism, I was simply pointing out that 99% of the audience wont bother to check those stories anyway. He has a reputation of twisting the truth once in a while, that's something different to mixing up or forgetting things. If I'm a cynic by pointing that out, so be it.

I personally dont really care about those stories, and I take them with a pinch of salt. And at the end of the day I'm a fan because of the music and performance of the loaf, not because of the stories he's telling. (except for storytellers :)))

:twisted: Thanks for the irrelevent spelling correction there RJ :roll:

I think it's cynical to say something is BS without reason to believe it's BS.
Meat, being human, likes to kid, forgets facts, and sometimes even exaggerates.
That's no reason to automatically think everything he says has got to be bull :shit: until proved otherwise

RadioMaster
23 Feb 2009, 19:44
hold on, I didnt say I wouldnt have a reason to believe it's BS, I said I dont care if it's BS

The Flying Mouse
23 Feb 2009, 20:10
hold on, I didnt say I wouldnt have a reason to believe it's BS, I said I dont care if it's BS

:twisted: OK, let's go with this.

Meat has said that he has not performed FCOL between the early days and MSO.
That apart from singing parts of it at some Storytellers shows, it's not been done since 78/79.

There are no official releases that contain live versions of FCOL performed in this time frame.

There are no bootlegs during these years that include FCOL.And how many bootlegs are there from throughout his career?There are bootlegs available of most of his work, but not of FCOL.

No mention of FCOL is in any tour program.

No forum, memeber has talked about hearing a live version of FCOL.

You yourself have never seen him sing it live.

Since MSO, FCOL is still not a regular song at Meat's shows.

In fact, has he done it since?

With all that evidence (or lack of it) how can you say........

without coming across as a cynic? :shrug:

duke knooby
23 Feb 2009, 20:18
No forum memeber has talked about hearing a live version of FCOL.

I saw him sing it live.. (FCOL that is, not it just won't quit)

The Flying Mouse
23 Feb 2009, 20:20
i saw him sing it live

:twisted: That's great :D

Can you please tell us the date and venue, oh, and the rest of the set list would be cool :wink:

duke knooby
23 Feb 2009, 20:21
certainly, march 18th '99 kingshall belfast on the very best of tour

and link is from debs site...

http://www.debsmeatyworld.co.uk/Meat%20Loaf%20Tours/1998-99_tvbo/1999.03.18_belfast.htm

more details on page 2!!

LucyK!
23 Feb 2009, 20:23
He didn't do the full version on Best Of did he?

The Flying Mouse
23 Feb 2009, 20:23
:twisted: Full version?

duke knooby
23 Feb 2009, 20:26
He didn't do the full version on Best Of did he?

:twisted: Full version?

honestly... I can't remember :(

LucyK!
23 Feb 2009, 20:27
I'm as sure as I can be (given I wasn't at that show!) that he didn't do the full version...he did a snippet at Wembley but nothing longer than that

duke knooby
23 Feb 2009, 20:44
was definitely more than a snippet, but dunno if it was the full version...

greg
23 Feb 2009, 20:51
when i asked meat why he don't soing it live . he gave me that stare . & said next question , thats meat all over i thought

The Flying Mouse
23 Feb 2009, 21:17
was definitely more than a snippet, but dunno if it was the full version...

:twisted: Even if he DID do the whole version, is it not possible that he forgot about it rather than it being BS?

Hell, I don't know for sure what I sang 10 years ago.

AndyK
23 Feb 2009, 21:33
During the VBO tour Meat sang parts of For Crying Out Loud, but to the best of my knowledge he never sang the whole song, like he did on MSO.

Certaintly he did at Belfast (as Jonty says) and also at Wembley on March 28th ... I rmember because I was there, mouth wide open and stunned because I never ever ever thought I'd hear him sing even part of it live.

RadioMaster
23 Feb 2009, 21:35
:twisted: OK, let's go with this.

Meat has said that he has not performed FCOL between the early days and MSO.
That apart from singing parts of it at some Storytellers shows, it's not been done since 78/79.

There are no official releases that contain live versions of FCOL performed in this time frame.

Wrong, there is the LATW recording, which he claims he did at a sound check. May this be true or not, I have no idea.

There are no bootlegs during these years that include FCOL.And how many bootlegs are there from throughout his career?There are bootlegs available of most of his work, but not of FCOL.

I would hardly say there are bootlegs of most of his work. Let's say there are 100 bootlegs throughout his career, that's 3 a year, so logically seen the chance is quite high, that one specific performance (the one with FCOL) hasnt been documented.

No mention of FCOL is in any tour program.
true, but tour programs are mostly printed before the majority of the shows are through, and again, I dont think the performance of one single song might be important enough to get a mention in a tourbook.

No forum, memeber has talked about hearing a live version of FCOL.
well, a) Jonty did, and that's on what I've based my theory and b), even if there would be no one remembering it: try to find someone who has attended, for example, a show in 77/78, or someone who was at the MSO recording, or 3 Bats live, etc
The chance to find someone who attended one specific show is not as high as you might think.

You yourself have never seen him sing it live.
I never claimed that.

My point was, he said clearly the song WASNT performed live since March 78 in NYC. And I claim he KNOW that was wrong. Especially as he performed it so little times it would be hard to forget about it.
HE claimed it wasnt performed since 78, everything else, if in front of an audience or not, if full or not, was nothing that he said at the specific show. Those were all points he/people made later to twist the truth a little and make his comment look true.

The way I look at it, is that he wanted to make the audience at the MSO recording feel like they're seeing something more special than it was. Especially as this also includes the DVD audience.
We as fans, KNOW that a performance of FCOL is something special, but 99% of the people who bought the DVD dont. So his little speech before the song made them realise theyre gonna see something special. So all in all they might remember the show as soemthing more special, and might even tell a friend about it.
Again, most of those people wont care if that story is true, or wont bother to check, it's only us ML nerds who know the truth, and we dont make the majority of the sales.

So I say, he damn well knew what he was talking about, so we shouldnt ignore that, but except it as a, lets say, marketing tool.

phew, that was a long post wasnt it? :lol:

The Flying Mouse
23 Feb 2009, 22:13
Wrong, there is the LATW recording, which he claims he did at a sound check. May this be true or not, I have no idea.
I would hardly say there are bootlegs of most of his work. Let's say there are 100 bootlegs throughout his career, that's 3 a year, so logically seen the chance is quite high, that one specific performance (the one with FCOL) hasnt been documented.

:twisted: There are bootleg versions of most of his songs.
A bootleg featuring FCOL would be pretty sought after as it's a big favourite.
Yes, it's possible that Meat has performed the whole song on several occasions over the years, but only on dates where no bootlegs have been recorded.
You think?

true, but tour programs are mostly printed before the majority of the shows are through, and again, I dont think the performance of one single song might be important enough to get a mention in a tourbook.

So are the set lists.
It might not be important enough to dedicate a double spread tribute, but if Meat was performing it i'm sure it would have gone in the set lists that have been published in previous tour books.

well, a) Jonty did, and that's on what I've based my theory and b), even if there would be no one remembering it: try to find someone who has attended, for example, a show in 77/78, or someone who was at the MSO recording, or 3 Bats live, etc
The chance to find someone who attended one specific show is not as high as you might think.

Jonty has said he doesn't know what he remembers.
Meat has said he has performed parts of the song.
If Meat performed part of the song at the show Jonty was at, Meat was telling the truth.
And it's not high as you'd think.
But come on, no mention from anyone, no mention in tour book, no bootleg.
What's this starting to look like?
The truth?

I never claimed that.

My point exactly :mrgreen:

My point was, he said clearly the song WASNT performed live since March 78 in NYC. And I claim he KNOW that was wrong. Especially as he performed it so little times it would be hard to forget about it.
HE claimed it wasnt performed since 78, everything else, if in front of an audience or not, if full or not, was nothing that he said at the specific show. Those were all points he/people made later to twist the truth a little and make his comment look true.

What?
He claimed that he hasn't performed the whole song live since March 78 (to use the date you've put).
That's what Meat has said, and there is no everdence that this is not true.

The way I look at it, is that he wanted to make the audience at the MSO recording feel like they're seeing something more special than it was. Especially as this also includes the DVD audience.
We as fans, KNOW that a performance of FCOL is something special, but 99% of the people who bought the DVD dont. So his little speech before the song made them realise theyre gonna see something special. So all in all they might remember the show as soemthing more special, and might even tell a friend about it.
Again, most of those people wont care if that story is true, or wont bother to check, it's only us ML nerds who know the truth, and we dont make the majority of the sales.

He might have wanted to make them feel part of something special by singing the song in the first place :idea:
As you say, only Meat heads will know that a performance of FCOL is special, so why not announce it?
And to be honest, even though fans love the song so much, the average lay fan will tell their friends about Bat ut Of Hell and Paradise.Stuff they know.
THe point is that not even we Meat Loaf nerds know the truth.
I'm not even sure Meat knows the truth.
Or Jim Steinman.
As i've said, I couldn't tell you what songs I sang 10 years ago.I really couldn't.
What I DO know is that if anyone does know the truth it's bound to be Meat.And I don't see why he would need to lie about such a triviality.
NOTHING supports the theory that Meat has sang this, and everything points to Meat being right.

So I say, he damn well knew what he was talking about

The very point i'm trying to make :mrgreen:

, so we shouldnt ignore that, but except it as a,
lets say, marketing tool.

Yes, I think it was used to some extent as a marketing tool (to how much success :??: ) but does that mean it's not also true ?

phew, that was a long post wasnt it? :lol:

They getting longer :mrgreen: :lol:

greg
23 Feb 2009, 22:29
that was my thoughts aswell r.j meat was selling the mso show , we all know if you don't go over the top , your never know whats on the over side . & thats how meat , would of got people to take notice about fcol;)

Sarge
23 Feb 2009, 23:15
My point was, he said clearly the song WASNT performed live since March 78 in NYC. And I claim he KNOW that was wrong. Especially as he performed it so little times it would be hard to forget about it...

I'm beginning to believe that you take this issue a little too seriously. Are you that finicking when it comes to the statements of other artists, too? It's just a comment regarding whether he has performed a particular song in recent years or not but when reading certain postings I'm under the impression as if he committed some misdeed. :roll: You "claim he KNOW that was wrong" - but you don't know. Even if he deliberately lied in this case, would that really be such a big deal? It's entertainment!

greg
23 Feb 2009, 23:19
the show must go on

RadioMaster
24 Feb 2009, 08:39
I'm beginning to believe that you take this issue a little too seriously. Are you that finicking when it comes to the statements of other artists, too? It's just a comment regarding whether he has performed a particular song in recent years or not but when reading certain postings I'm under the impression as if he committed some misdeed. :roll: You "claim he KNOW that was wrong" - but you don't know. Even if he deliberately lied in this case, would that really be such a big deal? It's entertainment!

it's not a big deal at all for me, as I've said I actually dont really care about it, but once an argument is started, I have to continue to make my point :))

btw, am I the only one who thinks it's funny that the thread is called 'it just wont quit'? :lol:

Sarge
24 Feb 2009, 09:03
it's not a big deal at all for me

Considering the length of your postings it is. It's funny that you don't wanna believe him in this case but apparently you're willing to believe his stories about his age, for example. Otherwise you wouldn't stress how "old" he is time and again. :-P Seems to depend on whether a story suits you... ;)