PDA

View Full Version : Meat Loaf joins reading campaign

LP
28 Jan 2009, 15:27
Did anyone else see the bit in the Times today? Meat Loaf is apparently to present a reading-improvement show on CITV?!

AndyK
28 Jan 2009, 15:30
Found here (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5g0LeUEUPUkC0pjtwy46yrCr1O9xw)

Veteran rock star Meat Loaf will join a drum-playing cartoon puppy in a surreal new TV series aimed at helping children to read, it emerged.

The 13-part CiTV series is based around picture books read by celebrity guests to a rock star dog called Bookaboo, who needs to hear "a story a day or he just can't play".

In the first programme, the Bat Out Of Hell singer will read The Lamb Who Came For Dinner to his canine counterpart.

The rocker offers the following tips for reading aloud: "You need to have fun with reading, you need to be a little animated and if it's scary make them shiver under the covers.

"If it's friendly and happy make them feel fuzzy and warm."

Other celebrities sharing a story with Bookaboo include Britain's Got Talent judge Amanda Holden, comedian Al Murray, former Spice Girl Mel C, singer Alesha Dixon and TV presenter Fern Britton.

Bookaboo starts on March 2.

And other versions of the same story here (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/news/article_1456247.php/Meat_Loafs_story_time), here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7855351.stm) and here (http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/celebrity/article5600671.ece)!

LucyK!
28 Jan 2009, 15:37
Oh I bet he's fabulous at that! Certainly would have encouraged me to watch CITV as a kid :lol:

~Helen~
28 Jan 2009, 15:46
Veteran rock star Meat Loaf will join a drum-playing cartoon puppy..................rock star dog called Bookaboo, who needs to hear "a story a day or he just can't play".

I think maybe I won't watch this after a few glasses of wine!

~Helen~
28 Jan 2009, 15:46
Oh I bet he's fabulous at that! Certainly would have encouraged me to watch CITV as a kid :lol:

But does it encourage you to watch CITV as an adult?! ;)

LucyK!
28 Jan 2009, 15:47
It will encourage me to watch it once, and once only!

AndyK
28 Jan 2009, 15:56
I expect to see the literacy levels on this forum increase after this programme airs.

meatloaf-unofficial
28 Jan 2009, 17:44
well back to being a kid and wacthing CITV.... SO its 2nd March - a date with kiddie's TV :-P

meatloaf-unofficial
28 Jan 2009, 17:55
Just to add, I came across this today:
http://www.eparenting.co.uk/books/bookaboo_new_series_will_encourage_a_love_of_books.shtml

It states nothing about Meat here, as the book he is meant to be reading, well is being read by someone else.... Mind you though, It looks like it was posted back in November, so I guess this new news is right?

I'm just trying to cover all areas, so then I there's no dissappointment for the kids of the site :-P

~Helen~
28 Jan 2009, 18:11
Ross I can't see any mention on that link of who will be reading the books (unless you're thinking Steve Smallman and Joelle Dreidemy? who are its authors... :?)

~Helen~
28 Jan 2009, 18:14
For those who can cope with the storyline being ruined, Amazon's Product description gives you an idea what to expect

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1845065182?ie=UTF8&tag=getittaped-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=1845065182

RadioMaster
28 Jan 2009, 19:13
okay....am i the only one who this this is a little odd?

Meat Loaf hosting a kids show? :?

ah well, if it's good for the kids...

is this a UK programme?

~Helen~
28 Jan 2009, 19:27
I don't think he's hosting it, just reading a story?

meatloaf-unofficial
28 Jan 2009, 19:32
Ross I can't see any mention on that link of who will be reading the books (unless you're thinking Steve Smallman and Joelle Dreidemy? who are its authors... :?)

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:
I'm not into authors nor books much.... :oops::oops:

Monstro
28 Jan 2009, 20:33

Not really, Meat's often on tv reading a load of fiction, will admit they're usually called interviews though lol

RadioMaster
28 Jan 2009, 20:41
good point

*originaldancechick
28 Jan 2009, 21:02
This is fantastic news. I can arrange my shifts to watch Meat on CITV. Thanks for infirming us. Luv cx

Sarge
28 Jan 2009, 21:35

Why?

RadioMaster
28 Jan 2009, 22:36
doesnt seem to be normal for the veteran outlaw hard rocker to do an educational show for little kids. Id imagine it'll probably be strange for both sides...

Sarge
28 Jan 2009, 23:10
This is not 1977 and I wouldn't call him an outlaw hard rocker (he doesn't look like one anymore, too). ;-) Having accidentally seen some recent children's TV programs, I think there are worse things than a "hard rocker". To Catch A Yeti was a movie for kids, wasn't it? Or remember the celebrities who appeared on Sesame Street, for example. The guy is an actor and can be quite funny, I don't think that his appearance on that show might be a problem.

RadioMaster
28 Jan 2009, 23:31
i dont think it's a problem at all....just striked me as being a little odd

daveake
28 Jan 2009, 23:41
I expect to see the literacy levels on this forum increase after this programme airs.

There's more chance of the lamb ending up on a plate with a dollop of mint sauce.

Dave :twisted:

nikox1
29 Jan 2009, 00:14
hes doing the show! hes reading a story! it should be all ok! deep breaths calm down!:D

*originaldancechick
29 Jan 2009, 01:06
That's what I mean't. He's on kids telly, which means it will be on at a reasonable time and I can watch him, without feeling as though I'd need to stay up late to watch him. He's a good actor, besides doing all the old rock stuff.
Anyway, whatever he does on tv I will always enjoy him. As far as I'm concerned, he can do no wrong.Luv cx

Wario
29 Jan 2009, 01:27
Reminded me of Reading Rainbow

Vickip
29 Jan 2009, 02:23
Will someone be able to record it for those of us here in the USA who won't be able to see it ?

Thanks
Vicki

RadioMaster
29 Jan 2009, 09:32
That's what I mean't. He's on kids telly, which means it will be on at a reasonable time and I can watch him, without feeling as though I'd need to stay up late to watch him. He's a good actor, besides doing all the old rock stuff.
Anyway, whatever he does on tv I will always enjoy him. As far as I'm concerned, he can do no wrong.Luv cx

dont think acting skills are a big matter on this one...

Battybarb
29 Jan 2009, 10:27
will be the first time i will watch kids tv in years.....lol....

Hypnobabe
29 Jan 2009, 13:13
Hooray! Luckily both of my boys are into cITV at the moment, (mainly for Horrid Henry) so I'm sure I'll be made to catch it anyway...

Vickip
29 Jan 2009, 18:35

I think it's a fantastic idea ... it's great promotion for Meat, and he's doing it for a worthy cause.:-)

Vicki

RadioMaster
29 Jan 2009, 19:28
probably, but i still dont think his acting skills are a big matter on this show

Monstro
29 Jan 2009, 23:12

To a degree I'll disagree with you here, whilst not needing the acting skills of say his role in Fight Club not everyone can sit down and deliver a monologue and make it believable, especially for kids.

Couple of points worth mentioning, not sure how this show will do it (and I know it's not on the same scale) but Bob Hoskins said that interacting with a cartoon was one of the toughest gigs he'd had to do and also that at many auditions for many different acting roles the first step is to deliver a monologue.

carole
29 Jan 2009, 23:31
I think it's a fantastic idea ... it's great promotion for Meat, and he's doing it for a worthy cause.:-)

Vicki

I agree Vicki, I think it's a great idea too and will be good for Meat, plus being for a good cause as well. I think being a good actor will help, he'll be more animated and make it really interesting, I think he'll be very entertaining. If I lived there, I'd definintely be watching a kids show for the first time in years.

Carole

angelica
30 Jan 2009, 00:41
I think Meat will give it his best shot ... and I bet he used to read to his own kids when they were younger which will help! Children are fantastic critics. Good luck to him ... but I think he'll do great.

bobbin
30 Jan 2009, 09:46

i dont know about germany but in the uk we have had a show called jackanory for many years where celebrities...especially actors read a story.

This seems to be just a different take on jackanory with the celebrities reading the story to a puppet dog instead of looking straight at the screen.

I've seen a small clip of the show, not meat's one, but i think it will be fun, and i think Meat's personality, gestures and general way of speaking makes him ideal for this.

As far as him being an outlaw rocker, i remember watching him on many childrens shows when i was a kid. You are never too cool or wacky or 'outlaw' to entertain the kids, and Meat doing this should be applauded.

Meet Bookaboo

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii209/anji_2008/bookaboo_2_resized_150_tcm19-168492.jpg

He supposedly a drummer in a big rock band (so maybe not such a weird thing to bring in a rocker after all ;) )

carole
30 Jan 2009, 11:56
I agree, I think Meat's personality will be ideal for this and I think he should be appluaded too.

Carole

Cathie
31 Jan 2009, 15:31
Yay! And well done Meat for supporting better reading skills :D

The Flying Mouse
05 Feb 2009, 20:22
probably, but i still dont think his acting skills are a big matter on this show

To a degree I'll disagree with you here, whilst not needing the acting skills of say his role in Fight Club not everyone can sit down and deliver a monologue and make it believable, especially for kids.

:twisted: With Michael on this one.
Have you ever tried to get kids to sit down and pay attention? :lmao:

Just because he doesn't have to pull a Brando out of the bag, he's still going to have to put some energy into it.

MeatGrl1
09 Feb 2009, 02:00
I just found THIS (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7855351.stm) just now :cool:.

Pudding
09 Feb 2009, 07:07
WTF? :wtf: Some people are taking Meat Loaf reading a kiddies story to a drumming puppy far too seriously :nuts: You don't need great acting skills to read a story and you don't to try and make the story believable, just interesting. Basil Brush had me glued to the TV when I was a kid and that's a stuffed fox with a mans hand up its ass.

I'm expecting the show to be entertaining 'FOR KIDS' not critically acclaimed and Emmy nominated.

Pud :twisted:

snowy
01 Mar 2009, 15:38
Airing tomorrow (Monday 2nd) at 12.15, 3.15 and 5.45 on CITV
Sky channel 621 (Sorry but I don't know the other 'suppliers numbers!)

This takes you to the Bookaboo site where you can see the opening credits that include Meat. Unfortunately they have mispelt his name further down the page!
http://www.citv.co.uk/page.asp?partid=583

*originaldancechick
02 Mar 2009, 13:49
Help I've just found out I can't get CITV on my frreview box! Can somebody please record the prog and put it on You Tube please? Thanks Luv cx

duke knooby
02 Mar 2009, 14:31
ch 75 on freeview... was excellent... definitely one his best performances!!!!!

http://www.citv.co.uk/page.asp?partid=583 just a snippet sadly

SamCat
02 Mar 2009, 14:47
That was brilliant, really good fun!! Bookaboo has definately got a touch of the Spinal Taps about him lol!!

LucyK!
02 Mar 2009, 14:56
I think Andy and I just regressed to being about 6! :lol:

Got to say I loved that!! Somehow, despite having read the threads, I didn't realise that Meat was actually in it, I thought it was just his voice, so that was a big suprise!!! Brilliantly done, very funny, and after last year's debates over concert quality, bad reviews etc it was great to see something that fun and light-hearted, loved it :up:

AndyK
02 Mar 2009, 15:05
Regressed? Some of you never left that age :))

If John ever decides to leave the NLE, I think we've found his replacement in the drumming puppy who won't play unless he gets a story a day!

Cathie
02 Mar 2009, 16:15
Got to say I loved that!! Somehow, despite having read the threads, I didn't realise that Meat was actually in it, I thought it was just his voice, so that was a big suprise!!!

Me too! Loved it, was so happy! :D Meat read well and was really funny - particulary the things that weren't in the script! :cool:

Cathie
02 Mar 2009, 16:16
Hmm. I seem to have lost the ability to quote messages. I'm gonna blame it on the excitement ;)

AndyK
02 Mar 2009, 16:19
Hmm. I seem to have lost the ability to quote messages. I'm gonna blame it on the excitement ;)

... fixed ...

Cathie
02 Mar 2009, 16:21
Ta very much hun x

MeatGrl1
02 Mar 2009, 16:31
Da mn I missed it.. When was it ?!

LucyK!
02 Mar 2009, 16:34
It'll be on again on CITV (Channel 75 on freeview) at 3.15 and 5.45

*originaldancechick
02 Mar 2009, 17:09
Thanks Duke, but please could you record it again as I definitely cannot get CITV? I would be very grateful. Luv cx

duke knooby
02 Mar 2009, 17:26
might be on freeview ch72.. try doing a channel rescan

recording and uploading is all over my head sorry :(

lorenzoduke
02 Mar 2009, 17:33
Just sat down to watch it online only to see that citv.co.uk no longer streams the channel for some reason :(

Particularly annoying since ITV stream all their other channels.

Vickip
02 Mar 2009, 17:44
Just sat down to watch it online only to see that citv.co.uk no longer streams the channel for some reason :(

I just checked the site too :( Could someone please record it when it's on again so we can all see it ?

Thanks
Vicki

lorenzoduke
02 Mar 2009, 17:45
I've asked some friends back in the UK to record the 5.45pm showing but they may not be back from work in time. I'll let everyone know if I manage to get hold of a copy.

Battybarb
02 Mar 2009, 18:19

Thanks Lucy,missed it as i worked today( dont normally work mondays) will tune in at 5.45 :-)

Vickip
02 Mar 2009, 18:22
I've asked some friends back in the UK to record the 5.45pm showing but they may not be back from work in time. I'll let everyone know if I manage to get hold of a copy.

Great ... thank you very much :))
Sometimes it's tough living here in the USA ;)

Vicki

Monstro
02 Mar 2009, 18:45
I really enjoyed that, quite funny in places as well.

The dog has def got a bit of the John Miceli's about him with the bandana lol.

Meat seemed to really enjoy it, loved the interaction between the two of them. I wonder if they chose the music at the start because Meat was on, have to check the next episode.

duke knooby
02 Mar 2009, 18:50

might be related or not...
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=946634

i couldn't see a live feed either, but i'm on firefox

Hypnobabe
02 Mar 2009, 19:03
Help I've just found out I can't get CITV on my frreview box! Can somebody please record the prog and put it on You Tube please? Thanks Luv cx

ch 75 on freeview... was excellent... definitely one his best performances!!!!!

http://www.citv.co.uk/page.asp?partid=583 just a snippet sadly

Citv has now changed channel, it's on channel 72, and you may need to rescan your freeview box / tv to be able to get it! I'm just sitting through My Parents Are Aliens to see it come on...

meatloaf-unofficial
02 Mar 2009, 19:15
How cool is that???! And I'm sure ITV Bosses will have noticed that thieir first episode had taken more viewings than the rest - we know why :lol: - More adults watching it than kids?? :-P

Meat seemed to get really into the story and the bit at the end where he's rocking to the dog drumming - class!!

A Drumming dog and Meat - Cool!!

Perhaps Meat might do more kids programmes, as he sure seemed well at home :D

meatloaf-unofficial
02 Mar 2009, 19:20
huh????

Its shown on ITV so I guess its ITV Bosses, or does someone else deal with the viewing numbers? - sorry if I got the wrong word :oops:

snowy
02 Mar 2009, 20:00
That was great. The first part was a little cheesy but I loved the rest.

bobbin
02 Mar 2009, 20:19
Great ... thank you very much :))
Sometimes it's tough living here in the USA ;)

Vicki

lolol we wont mention Rock and a Hard Place then :lol: must be tough having all those episodes of Meat to watch :p

Vickip
02 Mar 2009, 20:41
lolol we wont mention Rock and a Hard Place then :lol: must be tough having all those episodes of Meat to watch :p

Good point :))
Vicki

Cathie
02 Mar 2009, 22:29
Recording tried and failed :(

But still thought it was great :D

angelica
02 Mar 2009, 22:39
I watched this with Harry (my four year old) and it was great. Harry thought it was brilliant, he even watched it again later in the day. Shame Chris missed it!!!

Hypnobabe
02 Mar 2009, 23:08
My two boys both reminded me it was on, and my eldest checked when he got home from school to see if I'd watched it at lunchtime!!!

meatloaf-unofficial
02 Mar 2009, 23:11
Well I told all the kids round here and their parents who I work with in advance and I know of one who did watch it :D

Well you gotta spread the word haven't ya :lol:

duke knooby
03 Mar 2009, 01:25
have you shared a book today????

http://bookaboo.ning.com/video/meat-loaf-backstage-at

LisaT
03 Mar 2009, 01:31
How brilliant was Meat on that show! Who would have thought that a childrens' programme could be so entertaining for us adults? The man can do no wrong! I chuckled my way through most of the story and, as always, Meat put 100% into his 'performance'. Let's see if any of the other storytellers can top that one!!

Vickip
03 Mar 2009, 01:33

I love this clip !! Thanks for posting the link :))
And your new avatar is adorable. I really want one of those puppets .. lol
Vicki

duke knooby
03 Mar 2009, 01:56
my other avatar is adorable too ;)

MeatGrl1
03 Mar 2009, 01:58

:lmao: Brilliant !!
Thanks Jonty.

Also thanks Lucy but unfortunatly I will miss it again as I'm working till 6 :bicker: !! Any kind soul who can get it on-line it would be very much appreciated :)) :pray:.

Battybarb
03 Mar 2009, 02:54
i thought Meat was great..i enjoyed watching it

duke knooby
03 Mar 2009, 02:58
i thought bookaboo was great too, what an awesome rock dog!!

Battybarb
03 Mar 2009, 03:04
yea ,sorry forgot the star of the show...lol

allrevvedup
03 Mar 2009, 18:39
I thought it was fun...i doubt so many adults (and i use the term loosely :D ) have ever commented so much about recent kids television

*originaldancechick
03 Mar 2009, 19:15
Thanks for helping me out folks. I DID get to see the last showing last night. I rescanned my tv (or rather hubby) did, and I thotoughly enjoyed it, Needless to say I am also a Bookaboo fan now too, and of course Meat's reading it has helped. Thanks again. Luv cx

duke knooby
03 Mar 2009, 19:37
for those that want another to chance to see it... rumour has it, bookaboo is on all day thurs 5th march on citv to celebrate world book day (or something like that)

MeatGrl1
03 Mar 2009, 23:27
Awesome :up: but I am working that day too :bicker: !!!!!

The Flying Mouse
04 Mar 2009, 00:01
for those that want another to chance to see it... rumour has it, bookaboo is on all day thurs 5th march on citv to celebrate world book day (or something like that)

:twisted: Cheers Jonty.
Will make sure I catch it this time :oops:

The Meat Loaf episode is being shown at 9:30 and 13:00

MeatGrl1
04 Mar 2009, 00:16
Thanks Neil, that of course makes a whole difference :)) :up:.

~Helen~
04 Mar 2009, 00:26
:twisted: Cheers Jonty.
Will make sure I catch it this time :oops:

The Meat Loaf episode is being shown at 9:30 and 13:00

now to explain to my parents why it is CRUCIALLY important they record a kids tv show for me (since i am out at work)

SamCat
04 Mar 2009, 02:25
Today's story was good but not as good as yesterday's of course lol!!

lorenzoduke
04 Mar 2009, 18:42
I should have it later tonight. It's a huge file, so I'll convert it to a smaller format. Where's the best place to upload it without getting kicked off the forum? Should I send it to thenakedwire or something?

~Helen~
05 Mar 2009, 01:43
rats rats rats...have just discovered our antiquated video recorder doesn't have the capability of recording freeview channels...or at least according to my parents it doesn't.

lorenzoduke unfortunately i dont have the answer so will let someone wiser than i answer that one...and in the absence of clever technology in this household look forward to that answer and more importantly...your file! :-)

Battybarb
23 Mar 2009, 10:24
when my two grandaughters came round yesterday,they couldnt wait to tell me that they had been watching Meat Loaf with bookaboo last week,so it must be reapeated quite a lot,my daughter was quick enough to add "yea five times in one day:roll: "

lorenzoduke
23 Mar 2009, 11:07
I have it. Anyone who wants a copy, send me a PM within the next week or so.

Hypnobabe
23 Mar 2009, 12:53
Chris, did you get to see this yet?

SW31
24 Mar 2009, 02:47
no i'll get round to it

Monstro
24 Mar 2009, 10:25
Due to the never ending viewing (a certain 2 and a 1/2yr old cannot eat breakfast without it) we also now own the book for bedtime lol

AndyK
26 Mar 2009, 12:31
Found here (http://www.thebookseller.com/news/81097-page.html)

In the two weeks to 14th March, The Lamb Who Came for Dinner saw sales rise more than 130%

Monstro
26 Mar 2009, 15:01
If sales had gone up immediately, it would have contradicted all our market research which says there's a problem out there of parents not reading to children, which is why we are doing this programme."

From what Anji's seen at our playgroup this is very true, it's so easy to tell which kids are read to regularly as their speech etc is by far advanced over same aged kids.

On the topic of sales, when we went to buy the book we had to order it, the promotions had not hit the shop floor 2 weeks after it had started airing so future sales figures should give a better reflection.

RadioMaster
26 Mar 2009, 20:13
watched the show yesterday. Thought it was good, though admittably Im not the biggest expert on uk kids tv, so I dont know how your programmes usually are like.

duke knooby
27 Mar 2009, 01:05
From what Anji's seen at our playgroup this is very true

you mean here don't ya!!! :D

lisa01
18 Apr 2009, 01:13
I think its a really good idear that meat loaf is doing this to help children to read i think its good to see meat loaf doing something for children for a change i wish him the best of luck and he has my full support always. from lisa01