PDA

View Full Version : is it just me...

allrevvedup
03 Dec 2008, 21:50
or is this a dodgy attempt at a meat loaf autograph?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Meatloaf-SIGNED-Album-COA-100-Genuine_W0QQitemZ370124035345QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD_Film_TV_Autogra phs_CV?hash=item370124035345&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

AndyK
03 Dec 2008, 21:55
The M is fairly accurate the rest looks like it could have been written by Scrabble!

allrevvedup
03 Dec 2008, 21:56
i would've expected a paw if that's the case

Wario
03 Dec 2008, 22:00
the M looks identical. Could be Meat's very rushed version of his sig.

You cant duplicate an M like that ...

The Flying Mouse
03 Dec 2008, 22:03
:twisted: Looks like it says Millet Cob :wtf:

AndyK
03 Dec 2008, 22:10
the M looks identical. Could be Meat's very rushed version of his sig.

Yes you can ... I spent many an hour during my school years perfecting both my mother's signature (useful for notes to get me out of things) and Meat Loaf's (not useful at all but more of a challenge).

In my experience if Meat is rushed he'll sign things "Meat" ... if he's not rushed you get he full "Meat Loaf" there really hasn't been a great deal of variation of his signature over the years that I've seen ... other than in the supposed guaranteed certified authentic signatures that appear on ebay.

LucyK!
03 Dec 2008, 22:11

And clearly he hasn't :? Sorry but to me the only similarity between Meat's M and this one is that they both actually are the letter M

carole
03 Dec 2008, 23:09
Well real or not, I've got my own CD's with Meat's signature on them and it didn't cost me anything to get him to sign them and I would NEVER part with them under any circumstances. So no way would I line this persons pocket by buying his signed CD real or otherwise.

Carole

Hypnobabe
03 Dec 2008, 23:12
I would have thought that if Meat had signed it, he'd at least have spelled his name right - it looks like it says Meat Lof to me... :roll:

meatloaf-unofficial
04 Dec 2008, 00:52
Its amazing the items that you coem across on ebay - with fake signitures of Meat Loaf... I just laugh really :lol:

The Flying Mouse
04 Dec 2008, 00:55
:twisted: e bay is great for really really rare signed stuff.

I still love the record Brian May mentioned on his blog.

Someone was selling a greatest hits of Freddie Mercury signed very clearly on the front in blue pen.
The sig was as clear as you could wish for, no smudges, crystal clear.

Only one little problem.

That particular compilation did not come out during Freddie's lifetime :lmao:

RadioMaster
04 Dec 2008, 09:35
And clearly he hasn't :? Sorry but to me the only similarity between Meat's M and this one is that they both actually are the letter M

Im with Lucy on that one

MeatGrl1
04 Dec 2008, 12:43
First off I have the genuine artical on several goods and it looks absolutely nothing like this :shock:, this screams FAKE and FRAUD to me, don't know how anyone would have the gaul to do this !

daveake
04 Dec 2008, 14:40
First off I have the genuine artical on several goods and it looks absolutely nothing like this :shock:, this screams FAKE and FRAUD to me, don't know how anyone would have the gaul to do this !

Yeah, you can never trust the Frogs ... :twisted:

Personally, I don't see the point in buying signed stuff. For me the only reason for having a signature is as a memento of having met whoever signed the thing for me.

Dave

RadioMaster
04 Dec 2008, 18:10
Personally, I don't see the point in buying signed stuff. For me the only reason for having a signature is as a memento of having met whoever signed the thing for me.

Dave

exactly

carole
04 Dec 2008, 22:32
exactly

Yeah I agree, it has special meaning to have met your idol and have them sign something for you, it's something you will treasure always. Can't comprehend these people who then turn around and sell them on ebay, they obviously aren't true fans. I even saw a signed picture on ebay once and it was even addressed to that person, now who would buy an item signed that has someone else's name on it? Don't understand how they could bear to part with it myself.

Carole

Monstro
04 Dec 2008, 22:48
On the subject of somewhat overated Meat ebay auctions lol...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEAT-LOAF-BAT-OUT-OF-HELL-II-TRIPLE-PLATINUM-PLAQUE_W0QQitemZ370124655392QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash =item370124655392&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

My apologies to anyone who was watching this with the intention to purchase!!!!!!

carole
04 Dec 2008, 23:09
I already have one similar to that, but I didn't pay that much for it. Mine was presented to Rob Schnieders when Bat 2 sold 3 000 000 copies. I noticed they have reduced it from $10 000, not surprising that no one wanted to pay that much for it.

Carole

The Flying Mouse
04 Dec 2008, 23:16
:twisted: Perhaps a person willing to sell is not a true fan and took the opportunity to make a couple of quid by getting a saleable autograph? :shrug:

Perhaps the "true fan" died and their collection is being sold off by the family?

Whatever the reason, I think it's a good thing that autographs ARE available on the open market for those who want them.
For years I wanted my copy of Bat Out Of Hell signed (turned into a mania actually) but I always held out on buying an autograph as while Meat is still alive, and I am still alive, there is a chance i'd be able to meet him, and I did.Happy ever after.

But not everyone is lucky enough to meet him these days, especially with the more (IMHO) heavy handed approach to meet and greets, so for those who are not able to spend a couple of hundred pounds on M&G tickets, it's a good cheap option of getting the signature you want.

Forgeries are the downside, and always wondering if it's an original is the price you pay.

The problems with autographs is that it's hard to refute a autograph as 100% fake (unless it's a Shakespear signed in ballpoint pen).

How do we know that the sig is fake?
Because it doesn't look like his sig.
But can you say that you have a completely consistant signature?

Perhaps Meat was feeling ill and scrawled, perhaps Meat was in a rush and hurried, perhaps Meat was walking, leaning the record on someones back while talking to someone else over his left shoulder?

So nobody can say that it's a 100% fake, but even if it's real it will not make the money because it's not a good classic example of his autograph.

If you look on my profile, you'll see a pic of a lovely signed pic of Steve Barton, and if I could justify the expence, i'd be very happy to buy it, but I could never be 100% sure it's the genuine article.

carole
04 Dec 2008, 23:38
That's some goodd points, I hadn't thought of it that way, and no my signature is never exactly the same every time I sign it. Lucky I'm not famous and people don't want my autograph.

Carole

MeatGrl1
05 Dec 2008, 00:56
On the subject of somewhat overated Meat ebay auctions lol...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEAT-LOAF-BAT-OUT-OF-HELL-II-TRIPLE-PLATINUM-PLAQUE_W0QQitemZ370124655392QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash =item370124655392&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

My apologies to anyone who was watching this with the intention to purchase!!!!!!

£5,073.40 :yikes: :faint: !!!

OK I need to go lie down !!

Who the feck has that kind of money dude ?!

carole
05 Dec 2008, 04:45
I certainly don't, well not to spend on something like that, I really got a bargain with what I spent on mine. Makes up for all the times I've bought things, and later seen them go for less!!!! Which just happened the other day, finally got the Bat 2 picture disc, but it came up just a week later and went for a third what I spent, was majorly pissed off!!!

Carole

daveake
05 Dec 2008, 11:16
Which just happened the other day, finally got the Bat 2 picture disc, but it came up just a week later and went for a third what I spent, was majorly pissed off!!!

Carole

What I do for things like that is just set myself a limit based on what it's sold for before, and what I'm willing to pay. Then when ones comes up I'll bid my max at the last moment, and either I'll get it or I won't - there'll always be another one soon. No point in paying over the odds.

Dave

LucyK!
05 Dec 2008, 11:37
But not everyone is lucky enough to meet him these days, especially with the more (IMHO) heavy handed approach to meet and greets, so for those who are not able to spend a couple of hundred pounds on M&G tickets, it's a good cheap option of getting the signature you want.

Even those that did spend a couple of hundred pounds (several times) on M&Gs didn't get the signature they wanted :?

The Flying Mouse
05 Dec 2008, 15:29
Even those that did spend a couple of hundred pounds (several times) on M&Gs didn't get the signature they wanted :?

:twisted: Exactly :up:

The only way to know for sure a autograph is the real deal is if it happens in front of you (we'll leave out the possibility of imposters wearing expensive realistic latex masks :bleh: ), so everyone else is basing their belief the autograph is genuine in trust.

I would say a M&G autograph has better prospects of being genuine, of course :lmao: but you know what I mean :wink:

Monstro
05 Dec 2008, 20:57
The only way to know for sure a autograph is the real deal is if it happens in front of you

Or if there are some really good photo's with the item ;););););)

The Flying Mouse
05 Dec 2008, 21:04
Or if there are some really good photo's with the item ;););););)

:twisted: False logic.

You might have a photo of Meat signing an item, and the item itself, but who is to say the item is genuine and not a copy of the one actually signed? :wink:

Monstro
05 Dec 2008, 21:16
:twisted: False logic.

Doesn't apply to what I saw a few mins ago, absolutely positively the real deal without any doubt at all, I'll be having a bid!!!!!!!!!!!

The Flying Mouse
05 Dec 2008, 21:22
:twisted: How can it not apply?

There is no way you can say 100% that an item in a photo is the item in your hand.

Just because the photo is genuine doesn't mean what's on offer is the original.

Monstro
05 Dec 2008, 21:27
I can say that this one 101% genuine, without a shadow of a doubt

The Flying Mouse
05 Dec 2008, 21:28
:twisted: Come on, spill the beans.

Monstro
05 Dec 2008, 21:31
Read any good blogs lately?

The Flying Mouse
05 Dec 2008, 21:39
:twisted: Looked at blogs but can't see anything to match what you're talking about.

Monstro
05 Dec 2008, 21:56
Don't think he's a member here, it's on his own site

~Helen~
06 Dec 2008, 02:20
who wants to enlighten me here? what blog?

(and as for the topic of the thread, I agree that does look somewhat suspect. But unless it's being sold by someone here I guess we will never ever know!)

duke knooby
06 Dec 2008, 02:27
the autographs i have were done by the man himself.. in person, before my eyes... each slightly different... but the same characteristics!!!

~Helen~
06 Dec 2008, 02:38
the autographs i have were done by the man himself.. in person, before my eyes... each slightly different... but the same characteristics!!!

I was going to say something along those lines too but regarding my own signature, but then decided i didn't want to have too much of a strong opinion about the item. what you say is right tho - even though I even have different lengths of signature (depends on what i'm signing!), the basics are always the same regardless of how scribbly or neat it's signed. I have a friend who in the past used to sign me in at lectures at uni and became quite adept at copying my own signature (she used to sign in for me when I was there, too)...however, it was always obviously done by a different person, even though it followed a similar pattern. does that make sense?
probably not. i'm off to bed.

Battybarb
06 Dec 2008, 11:59
definately does not look geniune to me..i think when you have seen Meats signature a few times then you an spot it a mile off....
Last year in Blackpool a bloke on a market tried to sell me a tour book for £25 (which only cost me a £10) and a SIGNED picture disc,wont tell you how long it was before i stopped laughing...

~Helen~
06 Dec 2008, 23:47
Barb I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

allrevvedup
07 Dec 2008, 01:44
definately does not look geniune to me..i think when you have seen Meats signature a few times then you an spot it a mile off....
Last year in Blackpool a bloke on a market tried to sell me a tour book for £25 (which only cost me a £10) and a SIGNED picture disc,wont tell you how long it was before i stopped laughing...

44 mins and 52 seconds?

allrevvedup
07 Dec 2008, 01:45
I was going to say something along those lines too but regarding my own signature, but then decided i didn't want to have too much of a strong opinion about the item. what you say is right tho - even though I even have different lengths of signature (depends on what i'm signing!), the basics are always the same regardless of how scribbly or neat it's signed. I have a friend who in the past used to sign me in at lectures at uni and became quite adept at copying my own signature (she used to sign in for me when I was there, too)...however, it was always obviously done by a different person, even though it followed a similar pattern. does that make sense?
probably not. i'm off to bed.

what?

:?

mszee
07 Dec 2008, 08:40

:shock:

Wow...wouldn't have thought you're the type...

The Flying Mouse
07 Dec 2008, 13:32
Barb I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!

:twisted: The best part was when she said "want it? i'm IN it".

Where? the bloke asked.

Barbara turned to the right page, pointed at her pic and said "THERE" :lmao:

Battybarb
07 Dec 2008, 14:00
oh yea i forgot that bit,his face was a picture....lol

duke knooby
07 Dec 2008, 16:23
:shock:

Wow...wouldn't have thought you're the type...

when i said the man himself, i didn't mean meat ;)
but the point i wanted to make still stands ish

allrevvedup
07 Dec 2008, 16:33

the man himself could be your dad for all we know:D

The Flying Mouse
07 Dec 2008, 17:27
the man himself could be your dad for all we know:D

:twisted: You nicked that plot line from Star Wars didn't you? :bleh:

allrevvedup
07 Dec 2008, 17:41
:twisted: You nicked that plot line from Star Wars didn't you? :bleh:

George Lucas is now suing me...:O

which reminds me of quote from carrie fisher about Lucas owning her star wars image rights

"Every time I look in the mirror I owe George [Lucas] five bucks."

mszee
07 Dec 2008, 18:23

Meat or no Meat...my surprise still stand...ish...

The Flying Mouse
15 Dec 2008, 20:51
:twisted: Another (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEAT-LOAF-SIGNED-FIRST-DAY-COVER_W0QQitemZ160304578923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD_Film_TV_Autograph s_CV?hash=item160304578923&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

The Flying Mouse
15 Dec 2008, 21:21
:twisted: And here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meat-Loaf-Superb-genuine-autograph_W0QQitemZ290282343558QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Music_Music_Memor abilia_LE?hash=item290282343558&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318).

allrevvedup
15 Dec 2008, 21:38
1st one doesn't, the 2nd looks more genuine

meatloaf-unofficial
15 Dec 2008, 22:07
I saw the first one and just laughed my head off...

I'd be suprised if someone bought it but then again, strange things happen in the world of ebay :lol:

To put it right, I for one WON'T be bidding!!

RadioMaster
15 Dec 2008, 22:23
wouldnt be too surpised.

In fact, it's only a handful of people who know what Meat Loaf's signature looks like.

Think about it, would you know what an autograph of Celine Dion looked like? and could you point out a phony one if you saw it on ebay? I couldnt.

So the chance is high that someone feels lucky and buys these items, and will be happy with them, might even show them proudly to his friends, and neither of them will ever know this is a fake item.

So the blame here is entirely on the people who created these "absolutely genuine" autographs.

~Helen~
15 Dec 2008, 22:42
:twisted: Another (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEAT-LOAF-SIGNED-FIRST-DAY-COVER_W0QQitemZ160304578923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD_Film_TV_Autograph s_CV?hash=item160304578923&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

is it the same seller as the one Mike posted?

(having looked at the picture, I then had to scroll up again to see whose autograph this was supposed to be!)

carole
15 Dec 2008, 23:05
Well I don't need to fork out all that money, I already have my genuine autographed copy of Couldn't Have Said It Better, which Meat signed in front of me, so it definitely is 100% genuine and I won't be parting with it EVER!!!!! And the best part is, is that all it cost me was the price of the CD, unlike some celebrities who charge to sign their autograph for fans, Meat does not.

Carole

mszee
15 Dec 2008, 23:12
Never met a celebrity who are charging just for autograph???

RadioMaster
15 Dec 2008, 23:25
Meat does not.

:silence::silence::silence:

Sarge
16 Dec 2008, 00:04

Who is Mut Lut?

:silence::silence::silence:

:twisted: I guess I know what you're alluding to... :whistle:

The Flying Mouse
16 Dec 2008, 00:09

:twisted: The only thing this autograph has got going for it is the object sign.

No faker in their right mind is going to forge Meat's autograph on a page with a stamp of Prince William on it :nuts:

If you are going to fake a ML sig, you'd do it on something desireable, like an album cover.

mszee
16 Dec 2008, 01:19
Is it me or as this thread progressed, quality of so-called autographs actually regressed???