PDA

View Full Version : VBO Meat & Jim - Interesting...

Kev
05 Sep 2008, 18:17
Just had a quick chat with one of the record company guys (not allowed to say who yet) but they're looking to buy the rights to certain songs from other companies for 'Meat Loaf - The Very Best Of... Meat & Jim'. I think the idea would be to have a 2 CD Best Of charting Meat's best songs with Jim.

Nothing much else was said and sounding like it would really just be an updated very best of... my only concern was than even though VBO was 10 years ago, there's only the Bat 3 stuff which is new Steinman stuff.

I'll keep you posted...

DazLoaf01
05 Sep 2008, 18:22
Very interesting! I guess they could also use over-looked stuff from the Dead Ringer album, and the odd Steinman songs from the non Bat albums. Would be insanely good if Meat recorded some "new" Jim stuff for it though.

WhenItComes2LovingU
05 Sep 2008, 18:31
Yay, somebody's acting on something similar. A month ago, I sent a proposal to all the record companies concerned (yeah, that takes cojones for an eighteen year old to do) for a "Meat and Jim" greatest hits album that I wanted to call Bat Out of Hell 2100, after Jim's film of the same name which never came together (hey, Meat referenced "Renegade Angel" in the advertising for Bat III, so I figure let's dredge up more old titles).

Basically, Disc One would have been a two-fer of Bat I and Dead Ringer, fifteen songs; Disc Two would have been the two songs from Attitude, all of Bat II, and the two songs from WTTN, again fifteen songs; and Disc Three would have been the three songs from Very Best of ML, the seven songs from Bat III, and that left space for either five new tracks (in this case new/old Jim songs recorded by Meat, with or without Jim producing) or five previously unreleased demos of Jim songs that potentially exist that Meat has done live but not on record or neither of the two ("Dance in My Pants," "Let the Revels Begin," a reported demo of "Braver Than We Are" with Patti recorded in the 2000's, etc.).

I wouldn't press the issue with these record people, that's not my style, but this was my idea for the same release.

Evil One
05 Sep 2008, 18:57
You do realise that Bat 2 on it's own comes to about 74 minutes?
Disc 1 would be about 90 minutes
Disc 2 would be about 99 minutes
Disc 3 would be about 69 minutes + 'five previously unreleased demos'

You do realise that the limit for commercial CD's is just under 80 minutes? More commonly 74 minutes?

allrevvedup
05 Sep 2008, 19:10
i think either way you're expecting far too many spectacular things for a 2 disc album which i'm not sure meat or jim will have that much involvement in...

the less money the record company has to spend the easier it will be for them.

So look for a bog standard 2 disc meat loaf and friends type thing

RSG
05 Sep 2008, 19:35
Imo, all them rare b sides and live tracks should be thrown into a box set ;)

Evil One
05 Sep 2008, 21:02
Imo, all them rare b sides and live tracks should be thrown into a box set ;)
Much more appealing idea.

daveake
05 Sep 2008, 21:05
Much more appealing idea.

Absolutely. I entirely fail to see the point of yet-another-collection of stuff that we've all already got.

Dave

meatloaf-unofficial
06 Sep 2008, 00:04
It sounds interesting I must admit... Perhaps some demos would be nice ;-) - just a thought coming from a seventeen year old :lol:

Pudding
06 Sep 2008, 02:56
As far as I'm aware there's never ever been any demo's released on one of many of the Meat Loaf compilations. At best you'll get some live recording of a song from show that's probably been released several times already.

Pud :twisted:

Kev
06 Sep 2008, 10:31
The fact they're looking to buy the rights from other companies would suggest otherwise. All the 'best of' albums out are specific to that company, either EMI or Sony. Of course they came together for the only official VBO in 98 and the album still sells well.

If it is just studio material though, there really isn't anything that we don't already have.

I'll keep pressing.

Wario
06 Sep 2008, 15:27
As far as I'm aware there's never ever been any demo's released on one of many of the Meat Loaf compilations. At best you'll get some live recording of a song from show that's probably been released several times already.

Pud :twisted:

At my CD store I go to I saw a CD entitled "Meat Loaf: Special Girl" and It only had 4 tracks (Special girl, one more kiss, paradise and DRFL LIVE). Apparently the 1987 Wembley version of dead ringer was on their and I never picked it up. I am still kicking myself cause its 40 bucks on ebay and was $10.99 at postivley Records. So best ofs do sometimes have deleted material

:kickass:

samurai7
06 Sep 2008, 16:13
At my CD store I go to I saw a CD entitled "Meat Loaf: Special Girl" and It only had 4 tracks (Special girl, one more kiss, paradise and DRFL LIVE). Apparently the 1987 Wembley version of dead ringer was on their and I never picked it up. I am still kicking myself cause its 40 bucks on ebay and was $10.99 at postivley Records. So best ofs do sometimes have deleted material

that was the CD single. It's reasonably rare, as not many CD singles were sold in 1987. The live tracks are from Cornwall.

nikox1
07 Sep 2008, 00:03
sounds like they are planning a new greatest hits for after the new album
universal = chsib, bat 3, bull china shop, plus the old stuff, and maybe new songs aswell

allrevvedup
07 Sep 2008, 11:49
I'm not getting that excited about this...if as kev says they are making moves now for the rights to the songs it would seem that they won't wait for the new album...

Unless he is going to record a couple of new songs and add it to the collection, or what have you, and then work on the new album

Evil One
07 Sep 2008, 15:27
Or maybe that's what Bull In A China Shop is? A fancy name for a greatest hits collection with a couple of new songs?

Wario
07 Sep 2008, 15:46
Or maybe that's what Bull In A China Shop is? A fancy name for a greatest hits collection with a couple of new songs?
Come to think of it Bull in the china shop's initials spell BITACH ..... take out the A.....

Monstro
07 Sep 2008, 16:01
Bull in the china shop's initials spell BITACH ..... take out the A.....

What A?

and where'd the H come from?

Wario
07 Sep 2008, 16:14
What A?

and where'd the H come from?

I like messing with people's heads :D

samurai7
07 Sep 2008, 16:19
and the T :roll:

RadioMaster
07 Sep 2008, 17:59
Come to think of it Bull in the china shop's initials spell BITACH ..... take out the A.....

you REALLY have to work on your spelling

Wario
07 Sep 2008, 18:08
and the T :roll:

Bull in THE china shop ;)

Though if i were them and if this is gonna be a 2 disk set hopefully it would be something like this:

Bad For Good
You took the Words
Frying Pan
< new song >
I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us
Rock & Roll Dreams
Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad
< new song >
AFL
It's All Coming Back To Me Now
Heaven Can Wait
The Future Ain't What It Used To Be
< new Song >
Read 'Em and Weep
Paradise
FCOL
< new Song >
BOOHINCLUDES A MAILAWAY OFFER FOR A CD THAT INCLUDES LIVE TRACKS FROM MEAT LOAF'S CASA DE CARNE TOUR!

- That seems reasonable.... :shrug:

allrevvedup
08 Sep 2008, 00:31
wario, i still think you're missing out on the point, which is what would be the least amount of effort for the record company that will produce the most amount of money...

trust me, having to try and scope out casa de carne soundboard/cd quality songs is far too much effort for them, the sales of Bat III and 3 bats live and even CHSIB will hardly encourage them to throw all of that out there.

RadioMaster
08 Sep 2008, 09:27
wario, i still think you're missing out on the point, which is what would be the least amount of effort for the record company that will produce the most amount of money...

trust me, having to try and scope out casa de carne soundboard/cd quality songs is far too much effort for them, the sales of Bat III and 3 bats live and even CHSIB will hardly encourage them to throw all of that out there.

Also another point is if they even own the rights for the recordings (I doubt it)