PDA

View Full Version : Bad Attitude US & UK

Kev
21 Feb 2008, 16:14
I just read that they're totally different mixes? Is that correct? I've only got the 'UK' version, whats different?

AndyK
21 Feb 2008, 16:27
Simply put, the US release (on RCA) has a rockier sound, with more prominent drums and guitars and a much less "80s synth" feel about it.

Meat, Paul Jacobs and Bob Kulick effectively remixed the Arista recording for release in the US and for some of the single releases at the time, there wasn't any re-recording carried out although according to Bob Kulick the record company thought that they'd gone back into the studio to record extra layers for the tracks.

Kev
21 Feb 2008, 16:33
As if I never knew this! Is there US one floating around anywhere? Or is it the one about £35 on Amazon with the different cover?

mszee
21 Feb 2008, 16:56
As if I never knew this! Is there US one floating around anywhere? Or is it the one about £35 on Amazon with the different cover?

I've been trying to buy one (well, not very actively) for a long while now at the decent price...no luck so far...

mszee
21 Feb 2008, 17:03
And actually, thanks for the reminder...I just bought a copy for $22.- - that's the cheapest I've ever seen.

WhenItComes2LovingU
21 Feb 2008, 17:19
Well, there's nothing majorly different. The band and the arrangements are exactly the same, but just as with Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time" (which got rockier with the U.S. release, more prominent guitars), they decided to harden it for a U.S. audience. Four tracks that we know of got a remix to that end, they jiggered with the track list a bit (though this might be something to do with wrangling, either on Paul Jacobs' part or John Parr's), and some of the songs are a slight bit longer or shorter based on the remix.

The UK track list is:

1. Bad Attitude (4:44)
2. Modern Girl (4:24)
3. Nowhere Fast (5:12)
4. Surf's Up (4:23)
5. Piece Of The Action (4:15)
6. Jumpin' The Gun (3:12)
7. Cheatin' In Your Dreams (4:07)
8. Don't Leave Your Mark On Me (4:08 )
9. Sailor To A Siren (4:40)

The US track list is:

1. Bad Attitude (4:58 )*
2. Modern Girl (4:28 )*
3. Nowhere Fast (5:13)
4. Surf's Up (4:46)**
5. Piece Of The Action (4:02)
6. Jumpin' The Gun (3:13)***
7. Sailor To A Siren (5:05)*
8. Don't Leave Your Mark On Me (4:08 )
9. Cheatin' In Your Dreams (4:16)

* indicates "Remixed by Harvey Goldberg, Bob Kulick, Paul Jacobs, and Meat Loaf"
** indicates "Remixed by Josh Abbey, Bob Kulick, Paul Jacobs, and Meat Loaf"
*** indicates "Remixed by Mack"

RadioMaster
21 Feb 2008, 20:12
didnt know the us one had a different tracklist, always wondered which one i had....now i know

have to keep my eyes open for this one

wolfy35
21 Feb 2008, 23:40
I got a UK copy when it came out and the US version when I first visited there with the Army, cant remember when I last played the UK version it leans too far towards pop for my taste where the US has a much more satisfying edge to it

samurai7
22 Feb 2008, 00:37
I generally prefer the US version too, but the UK version of Modern Girl is, imo, the better of the two. My ideal version of the album would have the US mixes for all the others, but Sailor To A Siren would be a mixture of the two.

meatloaf-unofficial
22 Feb 2008, 13:05
I rekon I need to buy a copy of this :-)

Kev
22 Feb 2008, 16:01
Would anyone happen to have the us download info?

belladonna-took
22 Feb 2008, 18:48
Do any of the other albums have different mixes for US and UK versions?

samurai7
22 Feb 2008, 19:45
no, but there is one extra refrain of 'This boy mama just wanna rock' in the US version of 'Blind Before I Stop'. No idea why. It's like with Queen & Bowie's 'Under Pressure' where certain versions have an extra line.

belladonna-took
22 Feb 2008, 20:05
I do love Blind Before I Stop! In a way it's a relief that there aren't zillions of alternative versions of all the albums out there that i will have to track down..and pay for!
Do you ever sing it?

RadioMaster
22 Feb 2008, 22:22
i have a question:
if i spot a copy on ebay or amazon, how do i know if its the us or uk one?

belladonna-took
22 Feb 2008, 22:31
i have a question:
if i spot a copy on ebay or amazon, how do i know if its the us or uk one?
i'd like to know that too

AndyK
22 Feb 2008, 22:45
The UK/Europe release was on Arista. The US one was released on RCA.

belladonna-took
22 Feb 2008, 22:49
That is a big help. Thanks!

RadioMaster
22 Feb 2008, 23:02
thanks andy, have to look out for this one

Wario
23 Feb 2008, 02:05
I really didn't like the UK cd versions for one reason ... they were obviously cut shorter then the US version and, IMO, a song is better if it's longer then rockier. BUT the only exception is the UK version of Surf's Up (which may have an earlier fade but it still is a step up from the US bland version).

WhenItComes2LovingU
24 Feb 2008, 18:35
Also, if the one with a different cover is Meat in a leather jacket, AVOID IT! It's a compilation of tracks from Attitude, BBIS, and some live stuff (from the '87 "Live (At Wembley)" album) released in 2000, designed at selling to the Meat fan who will buy anything.

The track list for the fake B.A. is:

1. Rock And Roll Mercenaries
2. Getting Away With Murder
3. Modern Girl
4. Jumpin' The Gun
5. Nowhere Fast
6. Standing On The Outside
7. Piece Of The Action
8. Cheatin' In Your Dreams
9. Bad Attitude
10. Blind Before I Stop
11. Paradise By The Dashboard Light*