PDA

View Full Version : dotties own personal review

dottie
24 Apr 2003, 19:07
Couldn't Have Said It Better - Thanks be and praise James Michael for his music and lyrics - Patti as always on top form - 2.24 in on c.d. love this line especially don't know why -that'll make you go and listen to this again - or do you already know. 10/10
Did I say That - This is my own favourite - think it should have been released first - Great lyrics from James Michael once again - Lyrics that we can all relate to sometime in our life - Tom Brislin on piano captures the Steinman overtones on the intro. This is a Meat song in every sense of the word. 10/10
Why isn't That Enough - Thought on first, second, third listen this belongs in a stage musical but then changed my mind when 2.30 in on c.d. meats silver tones changed the composition of the song - I still wish Meat had screamed these lyrics at 2.30 into c.d.8/10
Love You Out Loud - Opens once again with Steinman overtones - from 57 - 1.05 Echo chamber used? Didn't like this - Meat doesn't need that.
I wonder whose idea that was. Lyrics again suberb by James Michael - Good use of vocals at varying parts. 7/10
Man of Steel - First thing I noticed in58-1.07 electonic voice over Meat doesn't need this neither - hisvoice is strong enough not to hide behind electronics - Great Chorus - 2.43 Drum Roll - Oh Yeah -Superb from Kenny Aronoff - Pearls vocals are exceptional she has made this song her own in parts - At the beginning nice touch with poem10/10
Intermezzo - Penny Whistle - Daniel Higgins - Superb Chill out - Would have liked more/ Didn't want to leave this out10/10
Testify - Great opening sequence with guitars screaming right at you another one I think very suited for a live performance - Oh Yes You can Rock and Roll to this - 2.30 in on c.d. vocalssuperb almost gospel9/10
Tear me Down - Definitely a live performance again.8/10
Your Right I was Wrong - Loved the Lyrics by Diane Warren - I felt the music was capable of more to do justice to the lyrics7/10
Because of You - Where had I heard this before - initial findings - still think I have heard this before somewhere. Loved the lyrics by Rick Jude and Steve Balsamo 39 in on c.d. chorus fantastic- guitar playing superb - 1.35 Found myself waiting for the chorus again2.45 chorus again - it well and truly hooked me - But I don't know why - Is it because it sounds so similar to something else but I don't know what - can someone out there help me
Forever Young - Second Favourite - Hated this song first time around but Meats rendition sends goosebumps all over me - An Anthem of Anthems thats what Meat makes this song - Sung with such emotion I could almost cry - I'm sure if this is sung at any of the concerts as a finale they're won't be a "Dry Eye in the House" if it doesn't you must be a "Man of Steel" listen to that chorus over and over again at c.d. 54.201.304
Aaron Zigman on piano lends a uplift to this song - On cello Stephen Erdody is magnificient - very clever to introduce this particular instrument10/10

R.
24 Apr 2003, 20:49
This belongs into the CHSIB forum.

dottie
24 Apr 2003, 21:15
This belongs into the CHSIB forum.

Sorry - :oops:

Sapphire Lady
24 Apr 2003, 22:07
So you put your post in the wrong forum dottie !! An easy mistake to make, even for a super loafer.

Your review is very thorough and interesting. I'm still forming an opinion on the various tracks. It's so much to take in at once. Not that I'm complaining of course.

Bart
24 Apr 2003, 22:11
Bart's own personal review about Dotties own personal review:

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

CarylB
25 Apr 2003, 00:53
Dottie I have exactly the same feeling about Because of You .. and I think it's because it's somehow reminiscent ... no not reminiscent .. EVOCATIVE .. of a Beatles song .. not one specifically, just that genre ..... the Abbey Road days :))

dottie
26 Apr 2003, 11:17
Dottie I have exactly the same feeling about Because of You .. and I think it's because it's somehow reminiscent ... no not reminiscent .. EVOCATIVE .. of a Beatles song .. not one specifically, just that genre ..... the Abbey Road days :))

Yes thats it 70's era especially the chorus - have now made Couldn't have said it better my No. 1 as the performance on TOP was so Raw, over the top and just how I like Meat - Well Done :lol:

dottie
26 Apr 2003, 14:15
Bart's own personal review about Dotties own personal review:

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Thank you Bart :wink:

Bren
28 Apr 2003, 16:28
Just thought i'd add my opinion of the album. I absolutley love the album ,to me it's one brilliant, powerful song after another! You get to the end of one wonderful song and before you've had time to blink you get another one! i even like Do It, it just makes me smile.

CHSIB love this song, powerful dramatic, and yes i loved the TOTP version too. Love the video of this, especially THE LOOK after "hey little lady.........", the chair throwing, and the shhhhh......(sigh!!)Hope you read this Meat.
DIST lyrics to this are great, it's a really moving song, just wonderful.
WITE It's nigh on impossible to decide on a favourite but i think this would have to be it. The song is so sad and the lyrics are beautiful. this one stood out the first time i heard the album.
LYOL Bouncey, great, Wow, Fun. Again good lyrics. I like the line "i sit in my living room thinking of you." (nice to know you're thinking of us Meat :lol:)
MOS Absolutley adore this track. the more i hear it the more i want to hear it. again lyrics are great, would love to hear this live. Pearl has a beautiful voice.
intermezzo Beautiful piece of music would have liked it longer.
TESTIFY cannot sit still to this track, cannot help joining in either. (sorry Meat my singing is awful). this would be brilliant at a concert. i dont think anybody could dislike this song, its so upbeat.
TMD this would be great at a concert, but personally dont like the "speaky" bit in the middle. although the rest of the song and the chorus are great. heard him do this at hyde park.
YRIWW good lyrics, not as "oomphy" as some musically. ( if you know what i mean :wink: ) but still a good song.
BOY Like this song, even though the chorus (especially onn first hearing) is vaguely reminiscent of a modern-day boyband song (no offence Meat), i really like the song, it grows on you, the more i hear it the more i like it.
DO IT this just makes me smile :lol: :D :lol: :D and i certainly dont reach for my "skip" button, its just a fun song. i admire Meat for doing something so completely different.
FY simply a beautiful song, i've never heard the Dylan version, but Meat's is simply beautiful. particularly love the lines in dottie's sig.

(i know its not on the album, buuut......)
Decadent Wish is one of my favourites. you just cant get this song out of your head. trouble is i can imagine Tom Jones doing this one, because it puts me in mind of Kiss, and Sex Bomb. (sorry Meat :oops: :oops: ). no offence meant by that, i love this song, and think it should have been n the album, as well as, not instead of anything else.

sherrie87
28 Apr 2003, 17:06
I just got my copy on Saturday, and I have been listening to it constantly. Favorites are CHSIB, DIST, Testify and Tear Me Down. I think Tear Me Down would make a hella good next single. It's more rockin' than DIST and CHSIB and the spoken bit about Meat Loaf and Texas makes it all the better- a great song, and no one could have any doubt about who the artist is. I brought the CD to work today and I'm playing bits and pieces for the moments when I don't have any students here with me. (They aren't allowed to play their rap CD's at school , so I have to follow suit and not play mine when they are around) This is a great album, I agree that its the best since Bat.

Sherrie

mariella
01 May 2003, 23:20
Hi Bren,
I have to admit, I never got round to reading this before. But did want to let you know this is a review I really appriciate.
Feel pretty much the same, think this is a piece of art!
Thought the same about the video-scene you were talking about.
Love this album beyond belief. Including Do It! Love that song, would make a great song for Nike (that was a great idea!).
You love Why, I do too. Cannot really choose a #1. But must say Testify is brilliant, I think.
Only 'less better song' as someone said so right on this forum, to me is You are right.
Just wanted to let you know, I did read it now, thank you for your review.
Makes me happy to know you love the album too!

Great day to you,

Mariella

Dottie, loved your review too, Thank you!

dottie
02 May 2003, 11:12
Hi bren - excellent piece of journalism - you can certainly convey your thoughts and feelings very well. I agree with almost everything you say only one glip DO IT - cann't stand this one - and do reach for the skip button - hope we're still friends :lol: - and keep coming back to post - I was very unsure of myself to start with :)

dottie
02 May 2003, 11:14
Thanks Mariella- note name change - in your honour - why Didn't I Say
That :lol:

Bren
02 May 2003, 13:41
Thanks Mariella :D

Thanks Dotster :D like the name change.

dottie
02 May 2003, 17:55
Thanks Mariella :D

Thanks Dotster :D like the name change.

Um suits me It think :P

Leon
03 May 2003, 23:49
well between me and my brother, we have a fair collection of cds. Out of the 120-150 there are only two that I have listened to completely in order in one go, without skipping a single track: Ben Folds Rockin' the Suburbs and then Couldn't have said it Better. It is an exceptional album with quite a few emotional songs in my opinion yet it still manages to have guitar and some rocking drums in it which I think is great. Even more, I love the piano, especially in CHSIB (you can tell why I like Ben Folds now too). Forever Young is one of the best songs on the album and after downloading the original I think Meat Loafs is better, and my mum agrees. Shes even a big Bob Dylan fan! :D

mariella
04 May 2003, 00:03
Thanks Leon, good to hear even your mother likes Meats version better!!
Those are the opinions I really value, because if you really love a song it's so hard to 'accept' another version.

Dotster, now WHY did you say that? :lol:
Yes, perfect name for you!
Congratulations to you and your beautiful daughter!

Hi Sherrie,
So glad you now have your copy too!! Tear me down is great.
Sorry, I forgot to mention your post.
Enjoy!

Mariella