PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION!! "Welcome To The Neighborhood" Title

Greavzyboy
24 Apr 2003, 11:50
Hey everyone!

As most of you know by now, I'm very inquisitive! If there's something about Meat that I'm not sure about, I will post it on the forum and usually I'll get a reply!

Ok, here goes...

Why is "Welcome To The Neighborhood" called "Welcome To The Neighborhood"?

All Meat's other albums have shared a title with a track on the album, (the title track) but how about this one?

Somebody must know!! Anybody?!!

Yours, Greavzyboy

Sapphire Lady
24 Apr 2003, 23:19
I've been watching out for a reply to this as I'd like to know the answer too. Seems nobody knows. :(

dan_84
25 Apr 2003, 01:16
not sure of the exact answer but i seem to remember from iterviews at the time of its release Meat said it was his choice of title. His record company had wanted it to be Bat III as they felt this would improve sales but seemingly Meat stood his ground and won the battle.

Shane
25 Apr 2003, 04:43
I am not sure, but I remember someone a long time ago (someone on a forum or list?) talking about a Sesame Street connection.

Paul Jacobs and Sarah Durkee, who wrote "Where The Rubber Meets The Road", wrote songs for Sesame Street. And if you've watched even just a few episodes of that, you know the characters sometimes sing songs about "the people in your neighbourhood, in your neeeeiiighhhbouuuurrrrhooooood".

I don't know if that's where the idea for the title comes from though.

JulesB
25 Apr 2003, 05:06
The impression I got was it's about a guy and the changes in his life as he moves from a young adult to an older adult. In the US we have a way of identifying ourselves with our "Neighborhood" and I took it as a guy just moving through life and the consequences. So "Welcome to my Neighborhood" was a way of expressing his travels. Maybe I'm not on track, but that was my way of looking at it.

The Sesame Street connection would work, because the "neighborhood" was promoted as a way young people could relate to their lives, wherever they lived.

Jules 8)

Fire Ball
25 Apr 2003, 12:35
Story of a boys life from first date till he dies, it was his Neighborhood.

Sapphire Lady
25 Apr 2003, 12:46
Thanks for clearing that up Fire Ball.

The Flying Mouse
25 Apr 2003, 16:21
:twisted: Thanks Meat.

Vickip
26 Apr 2003, 02:31
Story of a boys life from first date till he dies, it was his Neighborhood.

Very interesting :)

Thanks Meat !
Vicki

Shane
26 Apr 2003, 04:32
Thanks for that answer Meat.

I remember that, on one of the mailing lists ages ago, there was a debate as to whether the final song, Where Angels Sing, meant the character was committing suicide or not.

Chris
26 Apr 2003, 22:03
I don't think it sounds like a suicide sort of song. More a sort of my time has come but you can join me one day.

one of my friends was a huge Meat fan and sadly died of cancer the day after we recieved our A-levels and at the funeral they played this song so it has a special meaning for me.

badger
27 Apr 2003, 23:49
More a sort of my time has come but you can join me one day.

I agree with that, it is what I always took it to mean.