Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Old 29 Nov 2016, 17:20   #51
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
Is Target like Walmart where they have LCD tv's throughout the store playing commercials and such? Maybe that's where to be looking?
No, in this particular store, they only had the TV's in the electronics department. I stood there and watched for awhile, but didn't see it. The big thing especially at this time of the year is the video games- music is almost like an afterthought.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 19:36   #52
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Article link including this same video was just posted to Meat's Facebook page.

The record company's posting of it is unlisted on YT but MeatLoafVevo (whether official or not?) has it listed fine and as a result more views.

Considering it says "Watch the exclusive premiere of Meat’s new video for “Going All The Way” at Best Classic Bands!" on Meat's FB is there REALLY going to be another video?
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2016, 19:37   #53
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Article link including this same video was just posted to Meat's Facebook page.

The record company's posting of it is unlisted on YT but MeatLoafVevo (whether official or not?) has it listed fine and as a result more views.
Was just about to post the same. VERY confused right now. :/
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2016, 19:54   #54
aks650
Senior Loafer

No idea what's going on... I certainly hope this isn't an official video release!!!
aks650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2016, 20:09   #55
nightinr
Super Loafer

It is cringe worthy. I'm surprised Meat or Meats management team have added this to his official Facebook, twitter page. It even has ISIS in big letters at one stage in the video.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2016, 21:37   #56
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
It is cringe worthy. I'm surprised Meat or Meats management team have added this to his official Facebook, twitter page. It even has ISIS in big letters at one stage in the video.
I noticed this on second viewing.
I'm sure no one intended this to happen but it does seem bizarre no one picked this up even between when we saw it 4 days ago and today ("hang on we should change it and re-upload it"). It should just be a matter of dragging the bloody words into a different place or changing alignment in the (presumably) After Effects project. Why would "Is" be highlighted in these sentences anyway? What is significant about it there and not before? Very strange.

I like some of the imagery in the video such as the lanterns and lightning bolts etc.

However I really miss the speed that is so obvious in the music. To me the ending (and this is why you need the full 12 minute version) is so significant. I imagine Meat riding on a motorbike one last time with Dana Patrick holding onto him, going past all the ML history he sees left and right (clips of live performances and music videos) - ie Going all the way (which he has done throughout his life) is just the start.... Something truly magical could have been done here.
Meat and this song deserve so much better.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 02:02   #57
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
.... is there REALLY going to be another video?
No, there won't be. I said earlier in reply to Monstro "So another one to come, which may give you the tad more you're expecting". Sadly Meat has now confirmed that the one he was making with Amanda will not be completed/issued.

As to your vision Andrew .. Meat said record companies just won't give him the money required to make good music videos any more

Last edited by CarylB; 30 Nov 2016 at 02:32.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2016, 02:44   #58
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
No, there won't be. I said earlier in reply to Monstro "So another one to come, which may give you the tad more you're expecting". Sadly Meat has now confirmed that the one he was making with Amanda will not be completed/issued.

As to your vision Andrew .. Meat said record companies just won't give him the money required to make good music videos any more
That is absolute BS!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 03:03   #59
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
That is absolute BS!
????
Old 30 Nov 2016, 03:49   #60
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
????
Its BS and unfair that they will not allow Meat/Amanda to make the video he wants and the video THIS ALBUM DESERVES.
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 10:10   #61
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Hate to say it but Me and my crew could've done MUCH better with Amanda at the Directors Chair

Her and Meat would have the vision, i couldve taken care of a lot.

I could've edited it and done everything myself, we couldve made stuff work

At a very good cost.

Meat just walking around, throw maybe 500 bucks out to rent a mahattan studio for the day, we couldve made something great.

I was able to make a 90 minute cinematic movie for a mere 3,000 dollars.

Im saddened that atrocious video is online.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 10:55   #62
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:

If that's true I hope Meat will maybe post a short (or long) synopsis of what he had planned for his video. It is a bit of a "let's have a look at what you could have won", but I would be interested to know how it was going look and play out, as well as which parts of the song he was using.

I guess it would be a bit like those old lost Doctor Who episodes that only the audio or the scripts exist of.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2016, 12:49   #63
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
Hate to say it but Me and my crew could've done MUCH better with Amanda at the Directors Chair

Her and Meat would have the vision, i couldve taken care of a lot.

I could've edited it and done everything myself, we couldve made stuff work

At a very good cost.

Meat just walking around, throw maybe 500 bucks out to rent a mahattan studio for the day, we couldve made something great.

I was able to make a 90 minute cinematic movie for a mere 3,000 dollars.

I'm disappointed Meat isn't surrounded by more people who take initiative when it comes to music videos. It is MUCH easier to make a decent music video today even with normal consumer tools that many of us have access to in our homes than it was 20 years ago. The camera on an iPhone is going to give you more sharp and colourful results now than when we look back at the AFL video. Just some shots of Meat in his car, holding the steering wheel singing along to the song at night parked somewhere would have been better than the floated badly cut out head thing added here. Just have some people moving torches around the car would have created an effect of that he is driving etc. It is not rocket science to come up with some creative ideas in a few days. The song itself is an avalanche of creative inspiration in my opinion. Shots of him singing the songs in the studio would have helped to get some footage together early. Why did no one think of this.

On the whole I'd say this whole kinetic typography music video malarky is what many design artists can do quite cheaply regardless of who the artist is. I had a simple lyrics video for Patti Russo (Bible and beer) commissioned during her '14 tour for about $50 by some online guy I know just because I couldn't be arsed learning how to achieve this kinetic effect myself in After Effects effectively. It's maybe not quite as professional as GATW considering he only spent a few hours on it and mostly used existing templates and no bought stock footage (such as the lanterns in GATW etc) but it shows how quickly you can get to that stage of supposedly professionalism now for very little money and without much enthusiasm or input from the artist self! Never got any thanks for it when sent to Ms Russo, only replied with minor corrections to lyrics which were fixed (hence video remained unlisted and in effect unreleased and you cannot find a decent version of the 2014 studio version of Bible and beer on YT now).

Even if a record company thinks this GATW video is good enough, why did we have to wait for this type of video till now. It would have been much better to have had access to this back in September surely as simple as it is. Instead we always saw some random rehearsal footage with the GATW audio during interviews. It looked awkward I thought.

Let me be clear I am not blaming Meat (solely) for this. I just think some people who ride this bandwagon with his name (record company etc) could have done better and done more when it was most appropriate.

It is what it is I guess. But beyond what Wario and Adje do I really think the mostly free YouTube media opportunities remain severely untapped for Meat Loaf since HCTB. If I search for Meat Loaf on YT, nothing about the new album is shown until page 2 results. Shame!

Bat 1 became successful partly because of the videos, Bat 2 did as well I am 100% convinced. If they really wanted to make Braver a success surely SOMETHING had to be done visually before release? Damn!!

Last edited by AndrewG; 30 Nov 2016 at 13:16.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 13:26   #64
AndrewG

Quote:
I understand what he said. But I really think the record company is shooting themselves in the foot.

My computers are almost always connected to something on Youtube these days for information about film, music, products, coding, countless of tutorials or information I just can't be bothered to read about anymore, other work related issues etc.

I think some are severely underestimating the importance of this visual video resource when trying to sell something, even if it is audio.
Without YouTube I would never have discovered the Piano Guys (who were going for years before I discovered a random video). Now I am a fan, buying their albums and going to their show in London next year. That is 100s they would not have had out of me without YouTube.

If you know how to do things right the cost of making a video can usually be recouped and turned into a profit through YouTube with their Adsense integration.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 14:10   #65
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Never got any thanks for it when sent to Ms Russo, only replied with minor corrections to lyrics which were fixed (hence video remained unlisted and in effect unreleased and you cannot find a decent version of the 2014 studio version of Bible and beer on YT now).
Which is a shame. I've never been satisfied with the studio recording because I heard the version she sang live on Meat's tour and that with the full band rocked so much more than the original.

Not as big a shame as the plug being pulled on Meat doing a video he clearly wanted to do. The thing is, I'm sure it wasn't Meat himself that posted the link to it on his FB page, and again, if you look at how much he had posted during the promo for the album, if he was happy with it, he would have posted the link to it personally.

Thing is, even if the budget had to be a bit higher, could have always tried crowdfunding it as it seems to be the main way for financing projects when big studios/companies won't stump up the cash.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 14:44   #66
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
Which is a shame. I've never been satisfied with the studio recording because I heard the version she sang live on Meat's tour and that with the full band rocked so much more than the original.
The well oiled Never Land Express is always going to sound better than mediocre session musicians. I agree it was probably better. The musicians Patti borrowed from SAS for her 2014 tour dates were outstanding. Going by clips I saw of her subsequent live efforts this really became clear it helped to make that tour so epic in performances but at same time such a contrast in low attendance for that great music. If she had recorded Bible with these guys no doubt it would have been better than the 2014 studio version.

In fact that 2014 studio version of Bible had never been mastered properly going by the versions I had and downloaded. This was also fixed in the commissioned video version.

Quote:
Thing is, even if the budget had to be a bit higher, could have always tried crowdfunding it as it seems to be the main way for financing projects when big studios/companies won't stump up the cash.
Meat did that pledge thing. But it was after the album was already finished. I guess to claw some money back for the album or related projects? Or perhaps all the money was spent on the rewards. Hmm. I don't know.
Never received my litho yet from that pledge and it's been pretty much exactly 3 months since I clicked the order button and paid. Big waste of 100 if I don't get it to be honest. I already have the album in countless formats so the download version which I did get was not what I was interested in.

Last edited by AndrewG; 30 Nov 2016 at 14:56.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 15:43   #67
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
I don't agree it's "atrocious". Disappointing perhaps, and not of the standard we have come to expect from Meat, but not atrocious.

Quote:
Let me be clear I am not blaming Meat (solely) for this. I just think some people who ride this bandwagon with his name (record company etc) could have done better and done more when it was most appropriate.
Quote:
I understand what he said. But I really think the record company is shooting themselves in the foot.
I agree it's hugely disappointing that record companies today seem to not offer Meat the support, financial and otherwise, his status and career should demand, and that it is shortsighted in the extreme.

However, just as I'm certain that others believe they could have produced something better, I'm equally sure that Meat's business and its imperatives are often far more complex than we see. In the end he had to pull something together fast; and the reasons for that are outside our knowledge. It is not of the kind we have seen him deliver before, but check round the various FB groups (and there are many) and you will see many happy fans who like it

Quote:
I'm sure it wasn't Meat himself that posted the link to it on his FB page, and again, if you look at how much he had posted during the promo for the album, if he was happy with it, he would have posted the link to it personally.
Frances doesn't post things to Meats page that he doesn't want posted I think the only inference to take from the fact he didn't post it himself is that he is still fully engaged in recovery/rehabilitation following his latest painful back surgery.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 16:03   #68
MarkS
Super Loafer

Terrible excuse for an official video. This looks like a fan tribute hacked together for YouTube. Disappointed to say the least
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2016, 16:20   #69
ashkent7
Super Loafer

I wondered how much he and Amanda actually had done. Even seeing some of the raw footage as they shot it would be a nice little bonus...kind of like the B-roll incomplete reels that seem to come out on YouTube when a new blockbuster arrives.

Would be nice.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 16:40   #70
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
Lol ya, easy to judge tho but none of us were there, who knows what went down
Basically, with the video of Meat singing already shot, anyone (and I mean ANYONE) with minimal video editing skills would have done a better job than this.

Hobbyist would be ashamed of this one. And then some bonehead decides to use it as an official promo?

No matter what 'went down there' there just isn't an excuse for lack of effort!
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 17:15   #71
AndrewG

It's a very valid point. If the footage of Meat singing the song exists (and presumably this is more interesting than what we see in the current video) many can probably produce a more interesting effort.

In fact it would be an interesting fan challenge: "Here is the footage to download that we shot with Amanda. We will pick the best 3 entries and give them a signed Bat litho (the one Andrew paid for and still hasn't received yet)."

Imagine the flood of YouTube uploads from different accounts around the world (different geo positioning seo forcing something is worth gold) all pushing Going All The Way....

Is this a great idea or is this a great idea?
2 Users Dislike This Post.
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 17:17   #72
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Basically, with the video of Meat singing already shot,
Sorry Adje, but what are you referring to? Which video "already shot"? My understanding is that it took all the time they had to get this one put together and they simply ran out of any more time rather than "effort" to edit any further. Meat said he needed just two more hours, and the deadline was up.

So easy to criticise when we don't know all that went on.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 17:22   #73
AndrewG

Quote:
So easy to criticise when we don't know all that went on.
The point is surely, what went on doesn't matter if many think the end product could have been better?

Without you sharing limited knowledge info our best guess would have been THIS was the video Amanda shot.

Old 30 Nov 2016, 17:37   #74
ashkent7
Super Loafer

I'm pretty sure that when he is able, Meat will comment somewhere along the line.

He's not one for sitting back if there is something to be said.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 18:38   #75
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
The point is surely, what went on doesn't matter if many think the end product could have been better?

Without you sharing limited knowledge info our best guess would have been THIS was the video Amanda shot.

It matters in terms of the level and type of criticism and how it's expressed, for eg suggesting lack of effort. Best guesses tend to be assumptions, which are not the soundest basis for criticism. Meat told me he had to put this video together in 24 hours, needed a few more hours but ran right smack into the deadline and I passed that information, as well as its Target audience, on. No hints, no "ahems" or s .. just passing on something which has a direct bearing on the video. None of us know what, if any, other footage exists.
2 Users Like This Post.