Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Old 10 Sep 2016, 04:05   #51
ricgough
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
Where to start.... this album leaves a lot to be desired but has a track that fills my desires and then some.

Before I go on, I am not saying this is Meat's worst album nor am I bashing it. Its not a bad record but its not a fantastic one either.

WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG
The opening track, "Who Needs the Young" starts off with a lot of potential. I love the 50's prom-style "bum-bum-bums" Its when Meat comes in, the lines don't have the punch they should have. A few fantastic punchlines get drowned out. "Is there anyone left who can ~~~~" sounds strained. nor does "Is there anyone left who can dream" has no diction. Parts are way too fast to let the lines breath. Its a very weird song and very polarizing.

Braver Than We Are (Going All The Way Is Just the Start)
This masterpiece is just that. A 12 minute rock opera that we have been missing since 1993. The part I don't really dig is the "There are secrets I never could tell" bridge.

Speaking In Tongues
its place and pacing on the album works in my opinion. yes, the bridge is fantastic as is the line "You got spark, I got wood"
I wish the full band would come in and rock up the finale, maybe live.
It really is an erection of the Heart. I just wish there was more.
Stacy kills this.

Loving You is A Dirty Job (Somebody's Gotta Do It)
Bonnie's version holds no candle to this version. This is absolutely fantastic.
I just wish Bonnie was on it. Missed opportunity for a proper duet between the two.

Souvenirs
This Song has much meaning, its absolutely fantastic. The sax on Dave's end is outstanding and meat is ON POINT. One of Jims hidden gems, Im surprised it got picked. Even more surprised its not the finale.

It Hurts (Only When I Feel)
The songs lyrics are great, here the vocal take caused this song to fall apart. I understand his perfect vocal probably didn't have much emotion in it but The lyrics will bring it out. This sounds like it was recorded at a soundcheck like Blue Sky was. The vocal production (or lack of) was so distracting on this one.

More
I really catchy tune. I actually really dig this one, and the synthesizers. I can totally see this being mashed with Do It! If meat tours again.

Godz
The lyrics do not fit the song. Hearing Bolero for so long as an instrumental, this sounds like the guys on youtube that put lyrics to theme music for movies and TV Shows. Meat sounds fine, its just I wish i twas an instrumental.

Total Eclipse of the Skull of Our Country
What happened.... This song Ive been dreaming of meat doing, but the best part, Let The Revels Begin, was replaced with essentially Total Eclipse of the Heart.

I wish it was this:
YouTube Video

Train of Love
This, when I first heard the demo a year or so ago, was the last song i thought was Meat's hit list.

Admittedly Meats version is an improvement but a forgettable entry into the repertoire. Why was Souvenirs not the ending?

Dirty Water
Sounds like something that shouldve been a bonus track to Handbasket. better than Train of Love. Tho I can see why it never made an album outside this Demo. Is it just me or is meats voice really low in the mix?

OVERALL:
6/10

CURRENT ALBUM RANK:
  1. Bat 2
  2. Blind before I Stop
  3. Bat
  4. Hang Cool Teddy Bear
  5. Bad Attitude
  6. Welcome to the Neighborhood
  7. Couldnt have Said It Better
  8. Stoney & Meatloaf
  9. Dead Ringer
  10. Braver Than We Are
  11. Bat 3
  12. Hell in a Handbasket
  13. Midnight
You know we love you.

But you've a hell of a lot to learn about Rock and Roll.
ricgough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 04:16   #52
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricgough View Post
You know we love you.

That made me laugh, really laugh, nice one!!!!
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 06:37   #53
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricgough View Post
You know we love you.

That was A+++
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 10:10   #54
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I was going to post this in it's own thread to draw attention to it, but thought better of it. Regardless:

If any of you would like to drop your reviews onto AMAZON.CO.UK please do, as there a lot of one and two star reviews at the minute (which appear to be obvious trolling -- it's a well established movement on Amazon, especially for authors, oddly), and as such the album's over all rating has dropped significantly. Hopefully we can 'right the ship' again
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 10:30   #55
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
I was going to post this in it's own thread to draw attention to it, but thought better of it. Regardless:

If any of you would like to drop your reviews onto AMAZON.CO.UK please do, as there a lot of one and two star reviews at the minute (which appear to be obvious trolling -- it's a well established movement on Amazon, especially for authors, oddly), and as such the album's over all rating has dropped significantly. Hopefully we can 'right the ship' again
Meat has often been a laughing stock for some people. There's only one verified purchase 1 star review from what I can tell whilst most of the 5 star reviews are verified purchases. They really ought to limit it to verified purchases only (that's how Argos works though their site engineering and speed are terrible) Amazon sells enough to stop outsiders poisioning things.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 10:53   #56
glockenspiel
Senior Loafer

The Five-Star reviews are as daft as the One-Star reviews ,,,
glockenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 11:24   #57
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Only When I Feel sounds just right to me. Meat's vocals on GATW are a bit off at times. Listen to the bridge where he is singing alone. That part is just too slow for Meat to sing a proper melody on there and it sounds weak and dragged.
2jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 11:26   #58
stretch37
Very Excited for Braver Than We Are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockenspiel View Post
The Five-Star reviews are as daft as the One-Star reviews ,,,
Meh, I don't know about the other 5 star reviewers, but I feel like it's worth 5 damn stars so that's what I wrote!
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 12:10   #59
stretch37

Just saw some more 1 star reviews. They're literally slagging off the 5 star reviewers. They're clearly there to take a giant shyte on Meat.

You know what. The lynch mob is just out to get him right now. There is nothing we can do, and nothing we should feel we have to do.

Let history be the judge of this album, not its ratings.

Most cult classics got shit ratings from critics anyways.

As someone else said, history is being made at this moment. We're all lucky enough to be along for the ride. Let's enjoy the entertainment
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 12:15   #60
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Pay no attention to it, this album was always gonna devide opinions.
Amazon is not the only place selling it, early signs suggest it will chart high enough.
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 12:19   #61
stretch37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikox1 View Post
Pay no attention to it
That's the best damn thing I've heard all day.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 12:29   #62
Adje
trying to be realistic

Well, here is the review you haven't been waiting for...

The last days I have talked to fans who were absoluty blown away with this album. And, as I had the iTunes leak and had about 2 months to get adjusted to it, I was a little bit surprised. The last three days I have listened (and in some cases tried to listen) to the songs on the CD and for me Braver is not one of the top albums of Meat Loaf. Exactly as Meat told us 'You'll love or hate it'

I don't hate it like I hated HCTB and it did not catch me like Handbaset did. But it might grow on me a bit better as Handbasket, which since it got released has lost almost all my interest. So from the last 3 albums this one is bound to become the best. From my complete Meat collection, this one will end at the bottom half for sure.

There are some songs I really like. Gatw is, in my opinion, the best one on the album, closely followed by Loving you and Souvenirs.

Speaking in tongues is one of the songs that may grow on me but isn't there yet.

The problem, for me, is that the songs that I did know (and I'm not a steinman fanatic so not all songs are in my library) weren't any worse than the ones on this album. Non of the songs on this album were really improvements over the songs that I already knew in some sort of other version. In fact, for me, most songs were less great. The only song that may hold up to it's predecessors is Going all the way.

A big issue for me is Meat's voice. I think it's bold and brave and perhaps the most honest vocals on any Meat album, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I don't. In fact in some songs it really turns me off.

The Steinman arrangements are overall fine with some exceptions. For me the most obvious is Skulls. This didn't need fixing and the 'Turn around' part made it worse. And Godz? Uh?

Then there are some songs that I just don't like an d never will because they are either too weird or too boring for me. More, Who needs the Young and especially Train of Love are songs that won't hit my playlist again.

So in the end, yes. If Meat says some will love it and others hate it I'd be at the second camp more than the first. Luckily I enjoy several songs (but not in the way some of you seem to do) so I don't really hate the album but from all the albums having Meat/Steinman songs on it, this ends last.

Overall from all official Meat albums this will rank on #9 or #10 for me.

Last edited by Adje; 10 Sep 2016 at 12:45.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 12:49   #63
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Got to say that I'm both happy and surprised that people - regardless of how much they do or do not like the album - are being allowed to express their views without (for the most part anyway) people jumping on them. More of this please!

(did I just jinx it, or what?!)
7 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 13:07   #64
stretch37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Got to say that I'm both happy and surprised that people - regardless of how much they do or do not like the album - are being allowed to express their views without (for the most part anyway) people jumping on them. More of this please!

(did I just jinx it, or what?!)
Nah, I have a wooden desk and I knocked on it. That means it's not jinxed right? It's also 4am here so I guess that also means I should go to bed at some point.

Ad, glad you wrote that and I was glad to read your thoughts on the album.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 13:19   #65
jcmoorehead
Super Loafer

I've listened to the entire album a couple of times now. Unlike Handbasket which took a while for me to warm to this one grabbed me straight away. I absolutely love it. It'll be interesting to see where it lies a few months from now because you always get that just released hype from an album but I'm really impressed with it.

The vocals don't bother me, Meat isn't going to sound like he did years ago and whilst that might be a bit disappointing to no longer hear those booming vocals the approach he has taken fits perfectly. I appreciate though that others might disagree, I will admit that I'm a fan of artists like Marillion whose vocalist, Steve Hogarth, has fairly unique vocals and which are more about the character and emotion then the technical ability. For me Meat Loaf has always been about the character and emotion put into the song, so I'd rather have that still there.

So song by song.

Who Needs The Young - I was admittedly quite nervous about this one because I didn't know how the full thing would sound from the preview. I've heard the monologue from one of Warios uploads (Edinburgh 87 I think it was) and it sounded interesting but wasn't sure how it'd fit here.

For me it serves as a great opening to the album. In context of what Meat says about the 19 year old character it sort of fits into our time frame. My interpretation is this is a 19 year old who feels abandoned by the older population, and it's a bit of a reflection of our time. Younger people today do seem to have that feeling, that nothing they do is right or that they don't have a place and should just follow the example of the elder population. It's a 19 year old, who is letting out his feelings about how he things older people view youth.

Going All The Way Is Just The Start - For me this is probably top 5 Meat Loaf songs, which considering how bloody good a lot of this songs are says something. It manages to be everything that Meat Loaf is, it's epic, bombastic, it has a mixture of meanings, it has the duets, it's just a perfect track.

Interpretation wise, for me it serves a few purposes. First of all as you might guess from my sig I'm a huge fan of the show Neon Genesis Evangelion. Within that I write about a particular pairing and for me this song is just absolutely perfect for that pairing. It's actually inspired me for future scenes in my work.

Now that that is out of the way. I guess there are multiple layers to the song. For me it isn't just about the 19 year old but about everyone, the idea of people being perceived as brave or strong but when you look beyond they're just the same as you or I. We all look at others and see them as something they aren't, we all have our own views of others in our head and we never know what is going on beyond the surface. This song says that, whilst you think I'm a strong person, I'm really not and I need love/support as well.

Obviously there is the love song aspect to it, the fears of falling in love for both parties and how the act of coming together is just the beginning of a relationship.

It's such a wonderful track.

Speaking In Tongues - Following up Going All The Way is a tough task, it's nice to have a bit of a calmer track after the epicness of it. I don't have quite as much to say about this one, it's a nice sounding track and I really like the 'Things We Learn' segment in the middle. Classic Steinman lyrics in there.

Loving You's A Dirty Job - I've never heard the original so I didn't know what to expect here. It's a classic Steinman duet, really like the sound of it and lyrics throughout.

Souvenirs - I've been listening to this one since it was avalible to purchase on iTunes. Others have mentioned it but the saxophone is lovely throughout it and it does have that sound of Two Out Of Three/Left In The Dark.

Only When I Feel - I've heard this from one of the live recordings when Break It Was there as well. I do like it, there isn't too much to say about it. A nice piano led piece and Meats vocals have a lot of raw emotion to them that fit the song really well.

More - One of the darker tracks on here. Interpretation wise I kind of imagine this idea of people who should demand more in their lives and are entitled to it but don't through fear. Meat has this really nice snarl throughout the entire track that just really helps the song along with its instrumentation.

Godz - I really like this but I also feel that this and Skull should perhaps have been one track. It feels like Godz is an opening, the character calling for action to be taken in the world that they inhabit.

This is another track that I can't help but think of Evangelion with. Especially the End Of Eva film. The calling for the world to end, the feeling that the main character has nothing left and the total apocalypse which then leads into...

Skull Of Your Country - Following on from above, this is where the character goes through all the negative in the world but you hear the 'Turn Around' this is the external forces trying to pull them back. Trying to restore their optimism in some way and break through saying, yes things are bad but they can get better.

Train Of Love - The end of the saga, a good rock track to end the album with. There isn't too much to say about it really, I like it as an ending credits sort of thing.
jcmoorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 14:01   #66
neverlandandy
Junior Loafer

Long time member long time fan but not a great poster but in MY opinion this has to be the worst album ever to have come from the great man
neverlandandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 14:07   #67
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverlandandy View Post
Long time member long time fan but not a great poster but in MY opinion this has to be the worst album ever to have come from the great man
Sorry you don't like it
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 16:12   #68
babyblue558
Rookie

Braver Than We Are Review

Iíve been a Meat Loaf fan ever since I bought my first record at the age of twelve: it was Bat 2 and I got my mum to buy it for me because I liked the cover art. The rest is history. However, Iím not afraid to be critical of certain parts of his output. I donít much care for what he was up to in the mid-late 80s, I think CHSIB and HIAH are a mixed bag at best and Bat 3 was an ill-conceived shambles, though this was not Meatís doing. I do have a soft spot for HCTB though. I finally saw him live at the Last at Bat tour, which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I went into listening to his latest album knowing that his voice had changed a great deal recently but still I had high hopes given what he and Jim had already said about it. Hereís my track-by-track reviewÖ

Who Needs the Young

This was the song I was most excited about going into the record. Meat said it was unlike anything heíd ever recorded before and he wasnít exaggerating. Jimís demo sounds simply bizarre but is one of the wittiest things heís ever written and Meatís version really fleshes out the demo and gives it some much needed gravitas. Meatís ravaged voice is ideal for this song, in fact Iíd wager it wouldnít sound half as good if heíd recorded it in 1977. I was grinning to myself all the way through listening to it and actually laughed out loud at the ĎIs there anyone left who can ~~~~?í line. The tone and message of the song reminds me of Lemon and Everything Louder but all while sounding absolutely nothing like those two songs. Something old and something new, it didnít disappoint me at all and is a strong contender for my favourite song on the album.

Going All the Way

Was undecided over this one when I first heard the radio edit but this full version has finally got me on board. In fact, the best part (4:37-5:54) wasnít even in the radio edit. Although I donít think it is the most Ďclassicí Meat song on the album (more on that later), it totally gets the outlandish heroics of all greatest Meat/Jim collaborations. As far as Meatís voice goes, Iím still on board and brings a certain drama to the song: you never quite know if the world-weary protagonist will succeed in his quest and heís less of the infallible romantic hero of old. I do love that they got Ellen and Karla back for this and theyíre sounding as brilliant as ever. My one criticism is that the ending goes on a little too long (I know, even for a Steinman composition) and thereís one moment at 10:51 where Meatís voice just cuts out in the middle of a note, which strikes me as a bit strange.

Speaking in Tongues

The first song on the album I donít love. I agree with previous comments that it doesnít seem to build up to anything or evolve much over the course of the song. The bridge builds nicely but it just kind of goes back to zero after that and repeats the first verse. I actually really like the verses but by the end theyíre too repetitive. I know Jim likes a bit of cheekiness but here the two dick jokes stand out and clash with the tone of the song. Also the wording is totally unsubtle and it just comes across as crude, as opposed to the subtlety of For Crying Out Loudís innuendo. Anyway, Iíve yet to be sold on this one but I certainly wonít be skipping it and it may grow on me.

Loving Youís a Dirty Job

The most unexpected surprise of the album. If Iím honest I wasnít expecting much from this song. It was at best an average Bonnie Tyler track with a mediocre production and the iTunes preview of Meatís version didnít do much for me. This is why Iím so surprised to sayÖ I absolutely adore this song. Far from flogging a dead horse, Meatís version really breathes fresh life into this track and does Steinmanís admittedly excellent lyrics justice. I mean Ďdrinking poison water from the fountain of youthí is such a classic Jim line. I think this is, for the moment, my favourite song on the record and certainly stands amongst the ranks of classic Meat duets like CHSIB, IACBTMN and Paradise. Would be an ideal choice for a single. Contrary to Going All the Way, I wish this one was longer, as it ends a little too suddenly and anticlimactically.

Souvenirs

Meatís best vocal of the album. Another strong contender for my overall favourite track. Weíve had this song for a while and I think in the excitement of getting the whole album I am neglecting it slightly. The sax is truly a joy to listen to and Meatís vocal ranges from angry bellows to soulful whispers sometimes within seconds. His ability to belt it out and then suddenly rein it in for a moment of tender emotion is one of Meatís best qualities as a vocalist and here he proves heís still got it. It doesnít bother me that this song has clear similarities with Left in the Dark as I was never truly won over by that song.

Only When I Feel

I had long since accepted that we would probably never get a studio recording of Meat singing this song so Iíll admit it was a (welcome) surprise to see it in the tracklist. I donít understand why people complain so much about the vocal. It totally fits in with the rugged and tortured sound of the rest of the album and I really donít think itís that bad at all. It doesnít sound terrible or out of place and definitely does justice to the song. It contains some of my favourite lyrics in the album and I only wish it could be longer, with perhaps a second verse and another chorus with the full band playing. Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same thing as this when I first heard Blue Sky from HIAH: couldíve been a truly great Meat Loaf song if it was longer. As it is, it seems more of an interlude than a proper track and thatís a real shame because it has such great potential to be a really memorable ballad as opposed to a tantalisingly brief sign of how good Bat 3 couldíve been.

More

This is my least favourite track and the only one I ever skip. The chorus seems unmemorable, the lyrics are nothing special and the synth sounds dated. Reading other reviews, I see that some people really love this one and I hope my opinion changes because at the moment itís a disappointment for me. In any case, this is the only track I'm not at all interested in, so 9/10 ain't bad.

Godz

Iíd respectfully disagree with Meat when he says that Who Needs the Young is the most polarising track on the album. With its relentless pace, uncompromising brutality and almost totalitarian lyrics I think this is the one that people will find hardest to enjoy. Iím not sure itís even meant to be enjoyed. I certainly find it fascinating to try and decipher but not really enjoyable. That doesnít make it a bad track, just one of the strangest ones.

Skull of Your Country

If Loving Youís a Dirty Job was the unexpected success of the album, this is a slight disappointment. When I first heard the iTunes preview I thought to myself ĎOh wow thisíll be interestingí. It sounded as if Meat was finally addressing the fact that Total Eclipse had been initially promised to him by recording an early version of that song. I love the idea of taking Total Eclipseís most memorable signature line and subverting it into something unexpected and sinister: ĎTurn around / Thereís a black day dawning / Turn around / Thereís a corpse in mourningí. It gave me chills. And then I got my hands on the full track, listened to the (admittedly excellent) intro and waited impatiently to see where the song went next. As with Speaking in Tongues it doesnít really go anywhere and it just repeats the same structure over and over again ad nauseum. Iím going to have to agree with those who said itís a shame the ĎLet the revels beginí section was cut. I think that wouldíve provided a good climax and the second act this song needs. I do like it, I was just expecting a little more.

Train of Love

I actually really like this song. It isnít an instant classic like some Iíve already commented on but it is a very solid rocker with some of Meatís best vocals of the album. These could be CHSIB-era vocals for all I can tell, they really do sound that good. If I had one criticism it would be that this doesnít seem like a closing track. Which brings me back to the notion of making Only When I Feel into a full-length ballad and having it close the album.

Overall

This is not a perfect album but it does succeed in being a very exciting and engaging listen. You never quite know what youíre going to get next. For those on Amazon and iTunes complaining about Meatís voice ruining it, I ask: what are the alternatives? Either: someone else sings the album, which I imagine would cause even more complaints and be (rightly) regarded as blasphemy. Or: the album never gets made (a crying shame). My personal opinion is that Meatís vocals add to rather than detract from the material and the songs themselves would not be as effective if sung by a younger, pitch-perfect, radio-friendly vocalist. I for one am glad this album saw the light of day. I would compare it to latter-day releases by David Bowie (RIP) and Marianne Faithfull, both artists dogged by rumours of ill health and criticism of declining vocal abilities. Nevertheless, like Meat they went against the grain and made something unexpected and special. Any criticism I have of Braver Than We Are really pales in comparison to the joy I feel when listening to this album and how glad I am that it actually got made.
babyblue558 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 17:33   #69
Jayd
If I could bust into hell....... I would

Quick opinion rather than review. I love Meat, I really do, I have been to see him on many occasions, everything including the Midnight album I love, but this I have to say this is the worst album I have heard. Vocally it is awful and carried by many of the females that appears on the album. It pains to me to say this, and give this opinion. I wanted to love it, but I just can't. I don't feel the Meat I have felt in many other recordings he has done. Yes, I know his age, I don't expect Bat 1, Bat 2, hell even Bat 3, but vocally I think age has caught up
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 17:40   #70
mib
Medium/Paranormal Investigator

I liked the album, made me laugh.The lyrics are funny but it's delivered straight.
mib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 18:03   #71
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
Braver Than We Are Review

For those on Amazon and iTunes complaining about Meat’s voice ruining it, I ask: what are the alternatives? Either: someone else sings the album, which I imagine would cause even more complaints and be (rightly) regarded as blasphemy. Or: the album never gets made (a crying shame). My personal opinion is that Meat’s vocals add to rather than detract from the material and the songs themselves would not be as effective if sung by a younger, pitch-perfect, radio-friendly vocalist. I for one am glad this album saw the light of day. I would compare it to latter-day releases by David Bowie (RIP) and Marianne Faithfull, both artists dogged by rumours of ill health and criticism of declining vocal abilities. Nevertheless, like Meat they went against the grain and made something unexpected and special. Any criticism I have of Braver Than We Are really pales in comparison to the joy I feel when listening to this album and how glad I am that it actually got made.

In regards to the Amazon reviews and others it is just proving what I believed all along as I am sure Meat and Jim did. This just isn't for everybody. It is what Jim and Meat wanted and what most die-hard fans "get". Jim saying it is avant-garde is so accurate.

People in general are expecting Meat to sound like he did many years ago, these are not Jim's most "commercial" songs and so many people think Meat and Jim can just do another "Bat" or "Bat 2" in their late 60's. The people complaining about the vocals don't get that Meat is singing these songs as much like an actor as a singer. While he has always done this many people just don't get the nuances and emotion from one of the greatest interpreters of a song of all time.

The people here who express their opinions be they positive or negative have a much greater grasp on this than the average Amazon purchaser is going to have. Meat predicted that people would either love or hate it and that some would smash it against a wall and he hit the nail squarely with that statement.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 18:20   #72
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
I would compare it to latter-day releases by David Bowie (RIP) and Marianne Faithfull, both artists dogged by rumours of ill health and criticism of declining vocal abilities.
Have to respectfully disagree with the Bowie statement -- just because the comparison between Bowie and Meat is in a very different ballpark, and in very different measures. I love BRAVER, and I don't have a bad word to say about it (just many, many good ones) -- however, Bowie's vocals were excellent right up to the end. Could he hit the notes like he did back in '71? Not quite -- but that's more like comparing Meat's BAT vocals with his vocals on BAT 2. Meat and Bowie -- two VERY different artists.

Last edited by ThatWriterGuy; 10 Sep 2016 at 18:47.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 18:26   #73
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

David Bowie sounded nothing like Meat Loaf! Never had the same power or timbre or vocal range.
One of my other favourite male singing voices besides Meat with a massive vocal range (definitely NOT favourite song writer though!) was Todd Rundgren. Loved his vocals in the 80s. But he sounded absolutely atrocious on his 2 out of 3 ain't bad cover like everything is coming from his nose. That whole reProduction album is like that and bizarre use of autotune. Much, much, much worse than Meat Loaf sounds now.

I think for men with big vocals it is hard to keep that going during later life as vocal chord changes, much easier for female performers as their vocals usually just get deeper from what I've witnessed. There are some exceptions such as Tom Jones and Frank Sinatra etc. But even many female performers lose it much worse than what some claim is happening to Meat. Look at Whitney Houston, couldn't sing a note towards the end and she was 20 years younger. 10-20 years before that she was a heavenly songbird. To suggest only Meat Loaf has a change in his vocals and everyone else is fine is nonsense.

Last edited by AndrewG; 10 Sep 2016 at 18:34.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 18:38   #74
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
To suggest only Meat Loaf has a change in his vocals and everyone else is fine is nonsense.
Yep, people age and voices get deeper. Some come out lucky and manage to retain the sound that they had, and some have to work and try and fight to get to where it used to be. Some take a different approach altogether. It's just life, I guess
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 18:45   #75
Gazza717
Junior Loafer

I'm on listen number 1. I think it's a masterpiece. Going all the way is a pure masterpiece. For me, who needs the young is the 1st meat track that will be missing from my playlist (which is 99% loaf obsessive!). I get its place here and I just don't like it.
Gazza717 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.