Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Old 09 Sep 2016, 05:09   #1
anotherday
Super Loafer

Default Braver Than We Are Review

***POST YOUR BRAVER THAN WE ARE REVIEWS HERE***

I thought it would be COOL to have all of our reviews in one place!

I'll be posting mine and my boyfriends soon! WHATS YOURS?
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 06:17   #2
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Red face A very mixed but honest review.

Where to start.... this album leaves a lot to be desired but has a track that fills my desires and then some.

Before I go on, I am not saying this is Meat's worst album nor am I bashing it. Its not a bad record but its not a fantastic one either.

WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG
The opening track, "Who Needs the Young" starts off with a lot of potential. I love the 50's prom-style "bum-bum-bums" Its when Meat comes in, the lines don't have the punch they should have. A few fantastic punchlines get drowned out. "Is there anyone left who can ~~~~" sounds strained. nor does "Is there anyone left who can dream" has no diction. Parts are way too fast to let the lines breath. Its a very weird song and very polarizing.

Braver Than We Are (Going All The Way Is Just the Start)
This masterpiece is just that. A 12 minute rock opera that we have been missing since 1993. The part I don't really dig is the "There are secrets I never could tell" bridge.

Speaking In Tongues
its place and pacing on the album works in my opinion. yes, the bridge is fantastic as is the line "You got spark, I got wood"
I wish the full band would come in and rock up the finale, maybe live.
It really is an erection of the Heart. I just wish there was more.
Stacy kills this.

Loving You is A Dirty Job (Somebody's Gotta Do It)
Bonnie's version holds no candle to this version. This is absolutely fantastic.
I just wish Bonnie was on it. Missed opportunity for a proper duet between the two.

Souvenirs
This Song has much meaning, its absolutely fantastic. The sax on Dave's end is outstanding and meat is ON POINT. One of Jims hidden gems, Im surprised it got picked. Even more surprised its not the finale.

It Hurts (Only When I Feel)
The songs lyrics are great, here the vocal take caused this song to fall apart. I understand his perfect vocal probably didn't have much emotion in it but The lyrics will bring it out. This sounds like it was recorded at a soundcheck like Blue Sky was. The vocal production (or lack of) was so distracting on this one.

More
I really catchy tune. I actually really dig this one, and the synthesizers. I can totally see this being mashed with Do It! If meat tours again.

Godz
The lyrics do not fit the song. Hearing Bolero for so long as an instrumental, this sounds like the guys on youtube that put lyrics to theme music for movies and TV Shows. Meat sounds fine, its just I wish i twas an instrumental.

Total Eclipse of the Skull of Our Country
What happened.... This song Ive been dreaming of meat doing, but the best part, Let The Revels Begin, was replaced with essentially Total Eclipse of the Heart.

I wish it was this:
YouTube Video

Train of Love
This, when I first heard the demo a year or so ago, was the last song i thought was Meat's hit list.

Admittedly Meats version is an improvement but a forgettable entry into the repertoire. Why was Souvenirs not the ending?

Dirty Water
Sounds like something that shouldve been a bonus track to Handbasket. better than Train of Love. Tho I can see why it never made an album outside this Demo. Is it just me or is meats voice really low in the mix?

OVERALL:
6/10

CURRENT ALBUM RANK:
  1. Bat 2
  2. Blind before I Stop
  3. Bat
  4. Hang Cool Teddy Bear
  5. Bad Attitude
  6. Welcome to the Neighborhood
  7. Couldnt have Said It Better
  8. Stoney & Meatloaf
  9. Dead Ringer
  10. Braver Than We Are
  11. Bat 3
  12. Hell in a Handbasket
  13. Midnight

Last edited by Wario; 09 Sep 2016 at 06:30.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 06:39   #3
stretch37
Very Excited for Braver Than We Are!

Wario I like your review. Good to be honest. I'm glad it has one that you really wanted dude. Cheers
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 06:55   #4
anotherday
Super Loafer

NOTE: THIS IS MY BOYFRIENDS REVIEW. I will post my review when I get the chance to process my thoughts, but I wanted to share this with you all.

Quote:
Meat Loaf Braver Than We Are Review

An amazing capstone to an incredible career! Lightning Struck Thrice.

WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG:
The first track on the album hits HARD. Meat sings about the character’s life not being what it was with passion, fire, and conviction. “MY VOICE JUST ISN’T WHAT IT WAS!” he belts frantically, almost as if the character of Meat Loaf comes out for a second, instead of the 19-year-old character in the song. It is BRILLIANT. The perfect opening to the album, IMO.

GOING ALL THE WAY IS JUST THE START:
Perfection. Absolute perfection. From the opening lines to the end, it sweeps high and low, Ellen and Karla are WONDERFUL and kill the song. Meat belts in his lower register over and over again and it works. Like the latest Apple product, it just WORKS. This is what we have been missing since 1993. This is the song to share with your friends and family who are on the fence about this album.

SPEAKING IN TONGUES:
I’ve always thought this song should have been done years ago, but I’m so glad it wasn’t now. This version kills the demo version I heard from Jim a few years ago, and kills any other recording I’ve heard. I’ve seen people say it doesn’t “go anywhere” but I highly disagree. Its one of Jims hidden gems, one of his best, and the new bridge brought me to tears the first time I heard it.

LOVING YOU IS A DIRTY JOB (BUT SOMEBODY’S GOTTA DO IT):
Ho. Lee. Shit. Meat hasn’t been this on point for a duet since CHSIB. THAT is how you do a Meat Loaf duet, ladies and gentlemen. Bonnies version IMO doesn’t hold a candle to this. Would I have liked to hear Bonnie and Meat do the song together? Sure. But I am a realist sometimes…It is perfect as is.

SOUVENIRS:
So much pain. So much emotion. So much heartbreak. So much MEAT. The meaning(s) to this song are incredibly complex. I LOVE when Meat gets quiet and almost whispers, as if exhausted; “Take my heart…drain it dry…I won’t blame you now, cause I know you really tried…” – That entire section shook me to the core when I first heard it, and every time I listen to the song, it almost stops me in my tracks.

IT HURTS (ONLY WHEN I FEEL):
This is incredibly complex for as short as it is. The pain in the character’s voice is perfect. As much as I would LOVE to hear the “perfect vocal” version we’ve heard about that Meat scrapped, I’m more than happy with this. You can FEEL the pain in your heart, in your soul, that the character is going through. Some might call it a distraction, but I call it beauty.

MORE:
Not your typical Meat Loaf song but its super catchy. I dig this tune so much. The synths are incredible. Reminded me a lot of DO IT or DON’T (if DON’T had a different backing track). “AND I NEED ALL THE LOVE I CAN GET…I WANT MORE!” the backing vocals and Meat belt out. Who doesn’t want more? In life? In love? In sex? It leaves me wanting…you guessed it, MORE!

GODZ:
After hearing this for years as Borelos of Fire, I’ll admit this was the one song that, at first, threw me off. The lyrics are strong, and have a lot of powerful relevance in today’s world “In this country…a man with a dream needs luck…only if someone with power will help him to make all his dreams come true…” could easily be put into context in quite a few conversations, political or otherwise. Its powerful, its brash, it’s a different take on Meat Loaf.

SKULL OF YOUR COUNTRY:
I’ve heard a few versions of this from the 80’s and while those were good (with Ted Neeley, Alan Merrill, et all performing the song with Meat) this is REALLY well done. Cian ROCKS the “Turn Arounds” with soul and passion and I couldn’t be happier with how this one turned out. “THERE ARE DRONES ON FIRE SCREAMING!” Meat belts, and it hits you right in the gut.

TRAIN OF LOVE:
The closing track on what is (supposedly) the last Meat Loaf album starts with a bang and never lets go. Meat has stated that this song is about a 19-year-old trying to find himself, and when you take in that context, the lyrics take on a whole new meaning. The last lines “I don’t even know who I am…” ring in your ears long after the song is over and had me questioning who I was, I was so drawn into the song. It’s not Jims most poetic masterpiece, but its straight forward and filled with drive and soul, that’s what matters.

Overall, this is the best Meat Loaf album we’ve been treated to since Hang Cool Teddy Bear, and once again proves why Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman were MEANT to work together. Over the years, there have been criticisms launched at both Meat and Jim for various things; “Oh, Meat can’t sing anymore!” “Jim? He can’t write anymore!” – This album proves everyone wrong. Meat and Jim are just as powerful, just as relevant as ever. They’re BOTH Braver Than We Are…

9/10 (Its missing BODY...but we all know why)
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 06:59   #5
stretch37

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
NOTE: THIS IS MY BOYFRIENDS REVIEW. I will post my review when I get the chance to process my thoughts, but I wanted to share this with you all.
A wonderful review. I got chills. Thanks for posting anotherday
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 08:03   #6
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
its missing BODY.
Ya, its absence is noticeable.

Each record has at least two or three "man that would be a good rock hit" on it. CHSIB had DIST and Testify, HCTB had If It Rains and Los Angeloser and Running Away From Me and Like A Rose, HIAHB had Giving tree and Live or Die, Bat 3 had anything but Cry Over Me...

this has GATW and..... More?
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 11:43   #7
Mr. Happy
The Happy?

Who Needs the Young is just bizarre, and even though I've had months to process it I still don't know what to make of it. I think I like it. Meat's vocals work really well here.

Gods is amazing. I could listen to the walking bass in the last chorus all day without a problem. How great is that hook?

I'm just hearing Skull of Your Country for the very first time now as I write this. The transition from Gods is fantastic. I don't miss Let the Revels Begin. The guitar solo in the middle seems a bit aimless. I like it!

Loving You doesn't hold a candle to Bonnie's version, but the original is so definitive that I guess it was never going to. I do like the rockier production/arrangement. This song has some of Meat's strongest vocals on Braver.

The sax intro to Souvenirs is the best thing on the album. It's the best thing on any Meat Loaf album. The song itself maybe runs a few minutes too long but they're an awesome few awesome minutes.

Only When I Feel is unlistenable.

More is okay. Great transition from Only When I Feel. I love the explosive opening. This is another one that feels like it runs a few minutes too long, although I do like the new lyrics and I wouldn't want to cut them. The muffled "I want More!" warbles at the end are jarring. He does a similar thing at the end of Gods ("Fire!") that also grates on me.

Train of Love is kind of just...there. It feels far too conventional alongside everything else on the album. Doesn't do much for me, personally.

Going All the Way is Going All the Way. I still think it feels a bit cobbled together (one review somewhere said piecemeal, and I think that's right on the money), but it's grown on me over the last few months. The Say a Prayer coda is beautiful. I'd be interested to know where they're getting 6 movements from.

The new arrangement for Speaking in Tongues is beautiful, but it's in too high a key for Meat. Drowning him out with the other vocalists doesn't hide that. The new bridge still feels grafted on/unnatural to me, and "Erections of the Heart" is just a stupid line. Stacy sounds incredible.

That's my stream-of-consciousness review as I listen back to it for the first time in a few weeks. Overall, I think it's pretty solid. The main things that stand out to me are:

A) The sequencing is bizarre. It blows its load right at the start, meaning that by the time you get to the end of Souvenirs you've heard just about everything worth listening to. I don't like Train of Love as a closer, especially considering the alternatives.

B) This 'style' of singing is not appropriate for this type of music. Every song on Braver, with the exception of Who Needs the Young and maybe Gods, needs a very strong, melodic vocal, and none of them get it. It really detracts from what are some really great songs.

I haven't heard the outtakes yet. Very interested to hear the new Prize Fight Lover.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 12:25   #8
ashkent7
Super Loafer

I posted mine back in July when I sent it to Jim. My opinion hasn't changed. I loved the completely unashamed belief everyone involved has in the album. "It doesn't fit in the music industry". We don't care. "It isn't radio friendly" Go f$%£ yourself. That is the attitude that seems to have formed the creative process, as opposed to say the approach of Desmond Child that effective killed most of Bat 3.

Braver is an album that should never have been made or released, just like Bat Out of Hell 40 years ago, as it is so far away from what is expected of popular music and it never tries to fit in anywhere. This album is the closing instalment of THE greatest musical partnership in history, and its greatest strengths lie in its carefully plotted flaws. My review, slightly edited for coherency of the bits that were written in a frenzy two months ago, is below. I've taken out the preamble here too - we don't need a history lesson here.

On first listen, there are some things instantly noticeable – the album is not full of perfectly pitched vocals like most people seem to want these days. It is not full of radio friendly pop songs, although it contains some of the most memorable and catchy songs of Meat and Steinman’s career. It is an album that all but drips with raw, passionate drama that would make Wagner (the composer not the X Factor contestant) weep with anguish. THIS is the album Bat Out Of Hell III should have been, and THIS is quite possibly the biggest middle finger to the current music scene that has ever been released. People are going to hate this record. People are going to love this record. But more than that, people are going to feel with this record. The lyrics tell a story, the music seduces you and pulls you into the world in which the story is being told. These are not half-baked pop lyrics. They are full on, relevant and powerful.

As an album overview, the production – by Paul Crook – is outstanding. Bold and experimental, grand and subtle when it needs to be, again something that seems to be missing from much of today’s music. Another highlight is the stunning backing vocals arranged by Justin Avery, phrased and produced in an amazing collage of sounds, emotions and in a couple of cases completely off the wall theatrics. Musically the album is sound. Each song in its own world, with its own rules. And then we have the main vocals, a point which will cause the love/hate factor for many.

Meat is not thirty years old any more, he is heading towards an age where many have given up and are soaking up the easy life. But that has never been his style. Meat has never sounded his age as much as he does on this album; gruff at times, frail at others, sometimes resorting to a low baritone growl. This is not the vocal performance of two decades ago, this is Meat now, musically presenting a drama for the ears. His vocal is sometimes rough, and in many cases in a lower range to much of this previous work, but it works in the context of the album for those who, and we return to that point again, “get it”. The more you listen, the more it all just clicks. These are not your regular songs. There is no auto-tune here. It is raw, unashamed, blood and guts, anguished rock opera that will likely never be seen again. In a basic, ground level comparison, I fully expect Meat’s vocals to come up against the same critical mauling that the likes of Bob Dylan, Nick Cave and Tom Waits have constantly defied their whole careers. It is not for everyone, but I guarantee, let the album play a few times and not only will you start to see the bigger picture, but there will be words and melodies that you just cannot get away from and will linger with you long after. Compared to Meat’s previous two albums, which while both having their merits have lacked that special ingredient to make them memorable, this shows why no one quite does Steinman like Meat Loaf, but equally no-one brings to Meat Loaf what Steinman brings to Meat Loaf.

Here is my track by track analysis of the album.

Who Needs The Young as an opener is just inspired. It's like a creepy, mishmash circus has just rolled into town and the ringmaster is stepping up to the crowd. There is a dark comedy about it – the Steinman touch. It has been said that the track was originally destined to be part of the original Bat album, and considering it is one of Steinman’s oldest pieces that is plausible enough, but it was considered too vile for the times. Once again, something that cannot be argued against. Meat’s precise delivery of every syllable, something that rings through the album, heightens the bizarre air around the song. Backing vocals under the arrangement of Justin Avery are spectacular and not unlike some of Steinman’s own arrangements of the past, and again they add to this strange circus of horrors feel and engulf you in a multi-layered, visual masterpiece for the ears. Sorry for the repetition but you just don’t get that in any other music out there today.

If there was a song to be released as a single (and some would question whether in today’s convoluted singles market where everything from celebrity deaths to political agendas can dictate chart positions), then Going All the Way was always going to be the radio defying track to break out. Known to followers of Steinman’s other work, the track is better known as Braver Than We Are, as seen in a track performed by Karine Hannah (featuring a dance music backing track) and in the smash musical Tanz Der Vampire. Partially rewritten, rearranged and boasting an almost 12 minute run time, Going All The Way Is Just The Start (A Song In Six Movements) could well be the final sparkling jewel in the Steinman crown. As Steinman wrote in Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through, “There’s always something magic, there’s always something new”, and as with his previous epics that has never been truer than here. From a quiet, subtle opening, the song progresses through its aforementioned movements, falling and rising similar to 1993’s I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That), and building to a six minute culmination that is quite possibly the most stunning piece of musicality I have heard in my life. Meat is ably supported throughout by Ellen Foley (better known as the female vocalist from Paradise by the Dashboard Light) and Karla DeVito (who performed Paradise during Meat’s early tours and appears in its video), who help elevate the song even further. It is an indescribable piece that is both hopefully optimistic and devastatingly honest with a melody that just soars into the heavens and beyond. The song title, which is a line that also appeared at the beginning of the music video for Anything For Love, is not only quintessential Steinman but probably his defining one. He has gone all the way on many occasions and it just never seems to be enough. Going All The Way is a song to live your life by. It's a call to everyone to take all they can from life, live every moment and push everything to limit and then push further while you can. A true masterpiece.

Speaking in Tongues is the album’s Two Out Of Three, gentle, subtle and containing some of the excellent wordplay that comes with most Steinman tracks. Previously performed live by Steinman’s The Dream Engine group, a new bridge was added for this studio recording which includes some of the most prolific and true lyrics on any song, as well as a classic Steinmanism in the line “An erection of the heart”. Meat’s mellow vocal is complimented by additional vocals to create something ethereal and emotional.

Loving You's a Dirty Job (But Somebody’s Got To Do It) is best known as a duet between Bonnie Tyler and Todd Rundgren when it was produced by Steinman for her album. Here it is given a musically modern twist, again a sense of building throughout the song to its conclusion. It will gain obvious comparisons to the previous version, and one thing of note here is that Meat’s careful and deliberate pronunciation is one thing that stands out, when every one of those lyrics is heard and understood, compared to Rundgren’s original vocal which was sometimes harder to discern. A completely different arrangement and performance style, again making this a track that people will either love or hate.

Souvenirs is another early Steinman track now getting the Meat Loaf treatment, albeit with something a little reminiscent of a late 70s/early 80s Bob Dylan thanks to some wonderful organ and horns. As with so many songs, there are links to previously released works – specifically the melodic similarity to Left in The Dark which Meat recorded for 1995’s Welcome To The Neighborhood, which featured on Steinman’s own Bad For Good album and, for completeness, was also released by Barbara Streisand. Souvenirs predates these and was probably the first time the melody was used. This is one of the things that the album has going for it in abundance, much of what you hear sounds instantly familiar yet new thanks to small sections of melody, repeated lyrics and chord progressions that are all part of the Steinman trademark. Another lyrical tour de force, containing the same heart-wrenching grit of classic tracks such as For Crying Out Loud, and coming in at over 8 minutes long is another standout piece on the album.

Only When I Feel as the shortest piece is packed with more passion than probably even Meat has ever recorded and if it's piano thunder you're looking for then this is where you will find it. The track was originally destined for Bat 3 as part of the song that became (If It Ain’t Broke) Break It – something that seems to have been fated in that it was discarded from the album where it would not have been given the Grand Guignol treatment it receives here. There is something about the track that could almost make it a prelude to Anything For Love – in that way that all Steinman songs seem to fit together in a complex puzzle. Meat went on record as saying he abandoned a perfect vocal on this as he had to sing it as though he were in pain, and for me at least that works. Another of those tracks that some people are going hate and pull apart, but in the context of the concept of the song, a harsh imperfect vocal is what is needed. The small sadness is that we will never know what the full song, including Break It, would have sounded like done under this production.

More was originally recorded by the Sisters of Mercy and has been used in MTV’s Wuthering Heights remake. A modern, driving rocker which comes in two parts, one of which will be familiar again to Steinman fans who have heard his Batman demos where a large section was reworked into Catwoman’s Song. Meat’s vocal again changes throughout the track, pulling back on some parts and growling through on others. This is a straight up rock track, but once again comes with that alternative sound that encompasses the whole album.

Godz is another “long lost” Steinman piece that will sound familiar to fans of Tanz Der Vampire. The thundering piano and drum base of the song are based on Bolero, while the track itself is a choral, theatrical piece that could have come straight from something like Carmen. It is the type of track you will struggle to find on any other popular rock or pop album, mainly because it takes balls to do anything this different and expect to get anywhere. It is safe to say that if an unknown artist attempted, they would have the same struggle Meat and Jim did back in the late 70s. It also adds to the nostalgia that this album carries with it, and something of a full circle “end of show” feel that everything seems to glide towards. The Bolero theme was used as an introduction in the original Bat Tour, more nostalgia for those old time fans.

Skull of Your Country is another track that originated in the 70s under a different title. Considering in technical terms this is around 40 years old, Steinman has made a song that is as relevant now with powerful imagery as anything released in the last decade. The song also features a section based on the “Turn Around” lyric from another Bonnie Tyler hit, Total Eclipse of The Heart. Non fans may well believe this to be reworking from that song, where in truth this, or a version of it, predated Total Eclipse by some time. Its inclusion here once again makes something unfamiliar instantly recognisable.

Train of Love is a fun closer to the album. Again based on a song written back in the 70s, this had that bouncy, energetic quality of Dead Ringer For Love. After all that has gone before, the song acts as the singer seeming to question everything about himself, the world...everything. It doesn't need to be anything more than what it is. A funky pop rocker that is littered with classic lines from various other songs to bring the album to a well rounded, rocking all night close.

To summarise, this is an album that has been a long time coming, and if you are on board with the direction and the style that I has been done, as I was from the first moment, then this is likely to be right up there in your estimation with anything the pair have put out in the past. Braver Than We Are, with an abundance of bonus materials including demos and bonus tracks across its various releases, is something the world has been deprived of for a long time, and, if only history told a different story, could have been heard long ago when the promise of more to come could be realised. I have not listened to the album yet without feeling emotional by the quality of what I am listening to combined with the overwhelming sadness that this is the last time we will hear a full album like this again.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 15:42   #9
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I've been an advocate of this album since day one, and although I've heard it I wanted to save my thoughts until release day so it didn't colour anyone else's opinion of the album. But, yeah, it's safe to say that I love it. The songs, the epic nature of the entire narrative, and most of all I love Meat's voice. It's not that soaring and huge voice from BAT, but it's the RIGHT voice for this album and this point in time - for me, at least. I'm really digging it. Every track.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 15:53   #10
andythemeatloafan
Loafer

Default Great to have a new Meat / Steinman but...

Im afraid for me, personally.. (and Ive followed meat since I was 7....) Im afraid I didnt like 70% of the album, maybe Ive just come to expect... far too much, but for me.. it felt.. rushed and.. I wont say too much really.. (hope I aint annoyed you all, but thats just my feelings )
andythemeatloafan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 15:54   #11
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Particularly love GODZ. The character narrative really gets me, and I love that it sounds like it could almost belong to Queen's A Night At The Opera or News of the World (definitely a 'Death on Two Legs' vibe in places).
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:26   #12
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythemeatloafan View Post
Im afraid for me, personally.. (and Ive followed meat since I was 7....) Im afraid I didnt like 70% of the album, maybe Ive just come to expect... far too much, but for me.. it felt.. rushed and.. I wont say too much really.. (hope I aint annoyed you all, but thats just my feelings )
Everyone has their opinion, and Meat wouldn't have it any other way whether it be loving it, hating it or otherwise and I knew from the first time I heard it two months ago that he was right - not everyone will be pleased.

Just one thing that I can say though is that having taken two years to make, I don't think I could ever call it rushed. But interested to know the 30% you liked
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:35   #13
wizardofodd
Super Loafer

Thumbs up

After a few listens for me this Album is something Meat, Jim and the crew should be incredibly proud of. It’s a mixed bag for me but overall I enjoy listening to the majority of it and I must say that are some absolute gems in the record- I do feel the album loses its legs towards the end and I much prefer the first half of the album.

Who needs the Young- what a unique song and an interesting way to kick off an album. I find it a joy but it’s not one I put on repeat.

GATW – It’s epic, it’s a journey, it’s total meaty rock- The last 5 mins are exceptionally good in my view – it’s beautiful.

Speaking in Tongues – what a beautiful song, I have really grown to love this one. It’s warm with an emotional charge and a humorous touch. Perfect

Loving You’s a dirty Job was a real surprise for me, I’m not a huge fan of the Bonnie version but this is fantastic- I love it and I think it could have been a hit for Meat if pushed as a single. It’s so much better than the Bonnie version.

Souvenirs – I’ve been listening to this one for weeks- It’s easily one of my favourites on the album. I love the Sax, I think Meats vocal holds up well. It’s brilliant.

Only When I feel – Unlike others I think the vocal is fine here and full of emotion but the song feels incomplete-

More – does little for me, it has a slightly modern sound to it and something in it doesn’t quite work for me.

Godz – It’s got a military sound, bold, gothic, it’s not particularly catchy but I really enjoy how Meat delivers this one.

Skull of Your Country – it’s a strange mix, I feel like it had so much potential but I didn’t come out of it overwhelmed. The turnaround element just reminds me of Total Eclipse which to be honest is a better song.

Train of Love – Sounds much more than what we’ve come to expect with recent Meat albums. It’s fun, it’s an easy listen and I think radio friendly. It’s not a classic but a great rock tune to close an album and possibly a concert. It wasn’t the ultimate full stop I was wanting however-

Which makes me feel like this isn’t over- maybe I’m wrong but I don’t feel a sense of this being the final chapter in the Meat and Jimmy saga. It’s a brave. Emotional, angry, witty continuation but I do believe there is better to come although I know it’s quite unlikely.

Overall there I can’t compare to HIAHB or HCTB as they felt so different. This is much more classic Loaf – far better than any Jimmy songs on Bat 3.
wizardofodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:44   #14
andythemeatloafan
Loafer

aww lol ty :)
andythemeatloafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 17:59   #15
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Am I one of the few people who actually really like Train of Love? And MORE (confession: I grew up on the SOM version, so I kinda love the song anyway -- taking nothing away from this version, which is epic).
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 18:52   #16
Danny L
Super Loafer

What a record!! Time to review, but I love it, all 10 tracks, each has been carved with passion - it is so so good that Meat & Jimmy reunited to make this happen.

1. WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG?
People won't get it but this is the first song Steinman ever wrote and a vital part of his body of work. Funny and rude, I was wondering how this would work on a record but the arrangement is typical bombastic.

2. GOING ALL THE WAY IS JUST THE START (A Song in 6 Movements)
One of my two favourite songs on the album. Back to the mini-epic songs which made Meat & Jim famous, as good if not better than Anything For Love, and no, the edits do not do the track justice. When Karla swoops in with her first line (seriously that'show I invision it) it's just breathtaking. This song is a journey, my favouritwe bit is Ellen's 'You see me smile and and you swear that I can walk on air'

3. SPEAKING IN TONGUES
Was unsure fo this because of the 2006 live recording but this is a very good song. The wood joke is naughty but so Steinman. Like it

4. LOVING YOU'S A DIRTY JOB (BUT SOMEBODY'S GOTTA DO IT)
Oh. My God. When I first saw this on the tracklist i was surprised (similarly I never expected Meat to do It's All Coming Back To Me Now) but I CANNOT STOP LISTENING TO THIS TRACK. Help. No Seriously. So different to Bonnie's and this should be the next single. Breathtaking. Also I should mention this contains some beautiful lyrical phrases.

5. SOUVENIRS
Left in the Dark only better, a tortured ballad

6. ONLY WHEN I FEEL
The funny thing about the opening of this is I listened to the 05 live recordign so much I can hear Meat say 'By Jim Steinman from Bat Out of Hell III'. Just 2 minutes long Meat plays this with such a tortured vocal.

7. MORE
Leading out of OWIF, this is a great song, dunno what to say about it?

8. GODZ
Catchy.

9. SKULL OF YOUR COUNTRY
This is odd, instead of 'Turn Around' they should have used Let the Revels Begin. Unless Sonnenberg has it tied up in the musical idk. I enjoyed it but cannou hear 'Turn Around' without 'Every now and then' !!

10. TRAIN OF LOVE
A good-old fashioned rocker to close out. Lots of fun.

I was disappointed by Bat III and thought Jim & Meat would never reunite but here the Dream Team are again. I love this album, this is a masterpiece hands down.

Meat says it's unlike anything before but I slightly disagree in a positive way, at long last we are back at the old school of 77 and 92 and it feels so good. I have a copy in my car already to listen to on the road as well as iTunes.
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 19:39   #17
Chris77
Junior Loafer

Really like it. It's a great Piece of art!
First listened to it on Vinyl, then on CD.
To my ears, the Vinyl sounds much clearer and differentiated as compared to CD. Fine sound!
Chris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 19:47   #18
glockenspiel
Senior Loafer

WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG

Eccentric & warped, but in a very good way. Loaf performs this with real relish & gusto. The moves into the 'Is there anyone?' section and then a bit of piano & lead guitar work are all seamlessly done,, and the slow-down after that perfectly judged. I take Wario's point about some of lyrics not being fully enunciated, but one can hardly fail to grasp the overall mood and character of the piece, because of that. So just one mark off, then - 9 out of 10.

GOING ALL THE WAY

I gave this song the benefit of the doubt in its edited promo form, as it seemed to be chopping and changing all over the place, but serving no particular purpose in doing so. Sorry to say, I think the full version is, if anything, even worse. Previous descriptions like 'piecemeal' or 'cobbled together' are fair comment, to my ears. Four minutes in, and my mind was drifting, so I started skipping forward on the track. None of the three vocalists are suited to the piece, either together or separately. All of them would have to be singing all of it, plus another mid-pitched male harmony singer, to make this beast work. I'll give it 4 out of 10 for its ambition.

SPEAKING IN TONGUES

Yes, this song is sung as something of a continuous 'strip-tease', as there is an almost unbearable sense of something being 'held back' throughout. But I think that is what makes it so compelling, and something you'll want to return to - and it is very well placed at track 3 in the running order, in that regard. The vocals gel well - and they convey the lyrical balance of desperation and acceptance to a tee. The female vocal part belts without being over-bearing, and 'erection of the heart' is a nice touch of juvenile humour ~ All that, plus that hooky piano line, raises this on to a 10 out of 10.

LOVING YOU IS A DIRTY JOB

Classic Steinman sound, from the off - crucially, given the emotionally convincing performance that it demands & deserves. The 'call and response' parts, combined with the dynamics of the music, hold your interest even though the lyrics are repetitive - hats off to the work done on the arrangement, on that count. Loaf's coda comes across as appropriately vulnerable, rather than vocally weak. Stacy Michelle does another fine job here -- I just have the smallest of quibbles about her sounding a bit too young for Loaf in the context of some of the lyrics here - So, that noted, I give this 9.5 out of 10.

SOUVENIRS

Everything about this one is top-notch. The creamy saxaphone work, the way that Loaf throws himself into the bitterness of the character, the build-up of atmosphere, the 'Bat 2'-like production-sheen ... I could go on - You really want to stick with this one, to see 'what happens next' - aided, strangely enough, by the lack of any clear verse-chorus structure. The 'icicles instead of tears' is a charming link-back to 'Two Out Of Three', and 'take my toys' cuts through the seriousness with some good ol' fashioned smut, at just the right time. Similarities in one section to 'Left In The Dark' are not so obvious as to break the flow. All in all, the eight minutes just fly by. I would have made this the opening track,, but can't really count this preference against the song itself, so : 10 out of 10.

ONLY WHEN I FEEL

As others have said, this doesn't cut the mustard as a finished article. It just gets too vocally wayward in the second half. Would also have liked to have heard it medley into 'Break It' (if only briefly), as worked so well on the early live run-outs. A mis-step, especially coming straight after the triumph of 'Souvenirs' ... For its strong start, I'll give it 3 out of 10.

MORE

Full of production 'tricks', but they are never gratuitous - they all serve to carry the thing forward - including the 'distant shouts' at the end - and you sense that Loaf/ Loaf's character means what he says, in the semi-spoken passages, in turn bringing real punch to the exclamation-mark-style 'release' of 'I want more!'. The transition to the female part is a fine contrast and it brings a necessary 'softening' touch to a piece that is otherwise so hard & brittle. Its by no means a typical Steinman or Loaf effort,, it has its own special atmosphere - Some may not be taken with it on first hearing, but I think this is a strong 'grower' -- I didn't know before reading the lyrics whether it 'I can't get too' or 'I can't get to' - either (or both) work (though turns out its the former) - Seems OTT to put it on a level with the likes of 'Anything For Love', and yet, I can't really fault it - so 9.5 out of 10.

GODZ

Yes, its 'hokey' (as The Independent review put it, I think), but, taken on its own terms, its a blast of sheer fun/ letting-off of steam. Grabs your attention in a big way, and only in danger of weakening its grip in the spoken middle-part, but this is brief enough. Strong belt from Loaf - nice to hear he still has that potency. A thoroughly satisfying link-back to the 'Bolero'-like interludes of old. Almost up there with 'Who Needs The Young' in its quirky impact, so 8.5 out of 10.

SKULL OF YOUR COUNTRY

Major disappointment. Loaf's opening semi-grunting delivery is but a pale shadow, set against the irresistible call-to-arms that Ted Neeley etc made out of it- and - I don't care about the order in which things were written - the 'Turn around' refrain belongs so strongly to Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse', that it would have taken something out-of-this-world to take our minds away from it (and indeed, to want to hear that instead). This is nowhere near. Purely for the pleasing piano-intro, I'll give it 2 out of 10.

TRAIN OF LOVE

A number of people have been 'down' on this record, but I say that is unjustified. Yes, it isn't quite rousing enough to be the closer - but then - what other track would have been? For me, it has appeal - it rattles along at a good enough pace for everyone to enjoy on a car journey; Loaf is in command of his material; it features some tasty slide-guitar work, and just about avoids sliding into being a list of Bon-Jovi style cliches. Job done. After all, 'Mercury Blues' was no great shakes either on record, but a real gem live. This could be the same - give it some love - 7.5 out of 10.

If my maths is right, I make that an overall grade of 73%. Which is more than I expecting -- It goes into the 'Has much to commend it' pile ( somewhere in-between the 'indisputable classic' pile and the 'worth picking up in a sale' pile).
glockenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 20:36   #19
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Am I one of the few people who actually really like Train of Love? And MORE (confession: I grew up on the SOM version, so I kinda love the song anyway -- taking nothing away from this version, which is epic).
I'm with you for Train...not quite so much More but its still not a skipper so still good.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 20:52   #20
CarylB
Mega Loafer

This isn't an album, a collection of songs. True, Meat never approaches an album in this way, but nonetheless many will have bought and loved his albums as a number of songs, comparing and contrasting them and liking some more than others. But this truly is for me one piece, a vocal concerto, a night at the theatre, stage darkened, a man standing in a spotlight, joined at times by others, baring his heart, his emotions, his soul in one huge performance .. at times with force, at times with anger, at times beaten with pain, but always with courage. Sometimes that voice we have loved for so many decades is what we remember, at times it is hardly more than a hoarse whisper of pain, but this just serves to enhance the poignancy of the lyrics which reach out and squeeze one's heart with an assured hand.

To me, if this were a book you'd not say "It was a good read" .. you'd say that it was one that had touched you profoundly, left you emotionally drained, the feelings it evoked staying with you long after you read it, and it would be one you'd be drawn to again and again. If it were a painting it would be one in which you'd continue to discover new aspects, and would constantly make you feel joy at times, great sadness at others, but always make you feel an emotional response. It is a work of art, perhaps the greatest one Jim has drawn and Meat painted; some lines strong, some fine, and the colours many hued.

It's difficult for me to review the songs individually, as each is so much part of a whole, one leading almost seamlessly to the next. I sat twice in an imagined theatre, and was swept up in the performance that was delivered with such creative skill. I sensed that "lift" Meat has referred to, taking one from each track to the next, until the drop at the very end of Train of Love. I listened to the 19 year old boy, sharing his frustrations, fears, hopes and frustration, articulated with a wisdom beyond his years even in his confusion, starting with the wonderfully almost retro introduction to Who Needs The Young, with frustration and anger setting the scene for all that would follow. I was lifted up by Paul's brilliant production, as Meat delivered Jim's stunning lyrics with superb vision, passion and truth.

Going All The Way is to me perfection. Fear and frustration swelling to desire and hope. Lyrics, music, vocals, production all perfectly conjoined. It touches emotional cords, brings tears to my eyes, and I am simply subsumed into the whole as it wraps around me, and leads into Speaking in Tongues which reaches out and grabs heart and emotions with soaring hope, and the almost physical tension of its sexual innuendo.

Loving You’s a Dirty Job sees that hope start to fragment, the lines "You're so busy trying to get even, You never even try to get close" are so poignant, and it leads seamlessly into Souvenirs. I love this more every time I hear it. That ballsy bluesy gloriously mournful sax together with Meat's vocal conveys perfectly such strength of angry and bitter loss and sadness. I wanted to believe he was defiantly holding on to one single shred he will never relinquish, his love .. but no, I felt that cannot be taken because it has been consumed, exhausted, lost already. And the boy hit rocks bottom in Only When I Feel, perfectly positioned, ravaged with pain, before the confusion, longing and need of More. (I struggled with Only When I Feel when Meat sang it live some years ago .. but now, here, it has a perfect fit, and I can love it.)

I love the sheer anger of Godz, directed at a world that seems so hard, so wrong, with its war drummers beat, becoming almost one with Skull of Your Country, as the repeated phrase to Turn Around Bright Eyes seems, to me anyway, to be offering some impetus to keep going, and leading to the stunning close Train of Love. Meat's vocals here are superb, and seem to end the performance by taking you back to the start ... the lyrics suggest a wanting to love himself and the world around him, to somehow find his place through love and to love, but are delivered with the pain and confusion of someone who still can't quite find his way to do that. He is left still not knowing who he is.

As to Meat's vocals throughout .. his voice is lower in timbre, as one would expect after so many decades, but honestly to me it remains strong, passionate, and rich, reaching out to me still as no other artist has ever done. He always says as a performer he is about finding the truth, and he wrests every last scruple of truth from every word in every lyric; if in doing this he has chosen not to seek some kind of vocal perfection, but has instead chosen to and so successfully conveyed the true feelings of every line, therein for me lies the heroism to which Jim refers, therein lies the power, truth, courage and perfection that is braver.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 21:42   #21
MarkS
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
Total Eclipse of the Skull of Our Country
What happened.... This song Ive been dreaming of meat doing, but the best part, Let The Revels Begin, was replaced with essentially Total Eclipse of the Heart.
I spend the whole of the skulls song waiting for a hook that never comes. When "turn around bright eyes" starts you expect that to roll into Total Eclipse. It just keeps building to a crescendo that never arrives

Last edited by MarkS; 09 Sep 2016 at 21:43. Reason: Spelling
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 21:47   #22
stretch37

that's exactly what my wife keeps saying! good description Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I spend the whole of the skulls song waiting for a hook that never comes. When "turn around bright eyes" starts you expect that to roll into Total Eclipse. It just keeps building to a crescendo that never arrives
Old 09 Sep 2016, 22:10   #23
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

6 in the morning. Listening to it on my headphones. Third listen now.

My review (for now?) is brief. IT'S COMPLETE. Thank you again Meat & Jim for 20 years of amazing musical experiences.

rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 00:23   #24
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

based on a single listen it's not hooked me, it hasn't reached in and struck a chord musically. it was never meant to be a bat album, but as it's meat and jim again i cant help but compare it to what went before

i suppose, to a degree it's the bombastic over the top production, the peaks and troughs which i've found missing. On my first listen there was no emotional roller coaster, but who knows, it may be a grower for me

Last edited by duke knooby; 10 Sep 2016 at 00:31.
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 00:34   #25
mikeloaf
Super Loafer

enjoying the new cd!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207315088216132&set=a.3985191588870.2146254.125316515 6&type=3&theater[/IMG]
mikeloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.