Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Old 10 Sep 2016, 17:37   #26
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
Only thing about the master piece that is "Going All The Way" is that the end starts to get repetitive, I think they could've took a minute or so off.
That is how I think about "Souvenirs". To me GATW is an epic and can carry the extra choruses especially with 3 voices and amazing background vocals.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 20:18   #27
Fire Ball
Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
  • Going all the Way - PERFECTION.
  • Souvenirs - should've been the closer fantastic song and deep as hell
  • Dirty Job - beautiful cover!!! Great vocals
  • More - catchy and its decent when you think of cat woman ir the joker singing it.
  • Speaking in Tongues - beautiful but doesn't really go anywhere. Love the bridge!!
  • Godz - should've just been an instrumental imo. The lyrics aren't strong enough.
  • Train of Love - one of Jims weakest songs alas always thought this.
  • Only When I Feel - the vocals I understand emotion but the vocals still have to sound good.
  • Who Needs The Young - this is a love or hate song. Sadly I don't love it at all.
  • Skull Of Your Country - first part is great, why not keep the original instrumental? The total eclipse portion is terrible and ruins what was a fantastic start

Your turn!
Turn Around Bright was in the original version of skull in 1969 , was not original in Total Eclipise. M
Fire Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2016, 20:32   #28
Fire Ball
Himself

Default BTWA

I did not want this album broken into tacks , It should be listened to like a symphony. The only reason I did not keep it as one track was ITUNES.
The whole album was sung through the eyes of different 19year olds .
Train of love , a 19 year old who is lost and trying to find out who he is !!!
MORE , sung by a 19 year old serial Killer , the girls or his subconscious .

Why , when Jim wrote "WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG" HE WAS 19
Godz Listen to the sub plots .

IF this is all above your head I am sorry , Again read what Jim Wrote " one of the best 10 albums ever recorded" M
Old 11 Sep 2016, 21:17   #29
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
I did not want this album broken into tacks , It should be listened to like a symphony. The only reason I did not keep it as one track was ITUNES.
The whole album was sung through the eyes of different 19year olds .
Train of love , a 19 year old who is lost and trying to find out who he is !!!
MORE , sung by a 19 year old serial Killer , the girls or his subconscious .

Why , when Jim wrote "WHO NEEDS THE YOUNG" HE WAS 19
Godz Listen to the sub plots .

IF this is all above your head I am sorry , Again read what Jim Wrote " one of the best 10 albums ever recorded" M
Opening track should have been called "Who Needs iTunes".

Basically what they are saying is if someone writes a 20-30 minute song they wouldn't sell it. Talk about killing the creative.

Time for me to go off and listen to a few 19 years olds again.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 21:37   #30
jcmoorehead
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
Basically what they are saying is if someone writes a 20-30 minute song they wouldn't sell it. Talk about killing the creative.
I don't think that necessarily true considering all of the prog rock that is on there. You can buy Transatlantics catalogue on there which has songs between 20-30 mins, as well as Yes, Dream Theater and so much more.

No idea why they wouldn't have allowed it for Braver, although I personally do feel it being split into tracks does probably serve it better. Similar to how Transatlantic split up The Whirlwinds 77 minute song time into 12 parts of Dream Theater handled Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
jcmoorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2016, 21:44   #31
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

Meat said something really cool in one of the interviews recently, about.. even though iTunes made it all separate, they found a way to get around it by coming up with transitions between all of the songs. After, hmm, three or four years wondering how you get around that, and get back the album as an "artform" like in the late 60s/early 70s, I think Meat just cracked the code! Wow. Thank you!!
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 22:27   #32
mikeloaf
Super Loafer

I took it very much in the spirit of listening to it as a musical to be played from start to finish. It sounds like a poetic musical to me. I like Meats vocals too, very assertive. ('More' wouldn't be out of place in Liquid nite club!). I did go back to 'Godz', that's very rousing. That would be a great live show opener perhaps. What a great album of musical poetry, fantastic really.
mikeloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 22:34   #33
glockenspiel
Senior Loafer

Once something is released, then people will make of it what they will.
glockenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2016, 09:12   #34
FrancineCyclesTheUS
Rookie

I love them all,

but my favorites are Loving you's a dirty job &
Going all the way ...
FrancineCyclesTheUS is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 22:27   #35
Moonlight shadow
Super Loafer

For me there are 3 songs favorites:
1- LOVING YOU IS A DIRTY JOB ...
2- GOING ALL THE WAY....
3- MORE

Really incredible.

In other way, I miss some new song of steinman teacher, as happened in bat 2.
...Maybe in the future!!
Moonlight shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 17:05   #36
LisaT
Super Loafer

Quote:
Turn Around Bright was in the original version of skull in 1969 , was not original in Total Eclipise. M
Personally, I bloody love this song - ALL of it!!
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 17:20   #37
LisaT
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
  • Going all the Way - PERFECTION.
  • Souvenirs - should've been the closer fantastic song and deep as hell
  • Dirty Job - beautiful cover!!! Great vocals
  • More - catchy and its decent when you think of cat woman ir the joker singing it.
  • Speaking in Tongues - beautiful but doesn't really go anywhere. Love the bridge!!
  • Godz - should've just been an instrumental imo. The lyrics aren't strong enough.
  • Train of Love - one of Jims weakest songs alas always thought this.
  • Only When I Feel - the vocals I understand emotion but the vocals still have to sound good.
  • Who Needs The Young - this is a love or hate song. Sadly I don't love it at all.
  • Skull Of Your Country - first part is great, why not keep the original instrumental? The total eclipse portion is terrible and ruins what was a fantastic start

Your turn!
I agree with you on these 4 points:

Going All The Way is perfection - just brilliant!
Train Of Love is the weakest song
Who Needs The Young - don't like it!
Only When I Feel - I get what you're saying

On the whole, I think it's a great album. It's definitely different...but Meat said it was!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Sep 2016, 11:30   #38
brita
Rookie

Quote:
Can't. Simple as that. It's like being asked to rate your children in order. Yes Going All The Way is for me Jim's masterpiece...everything from music, through lyrics to production is flawless. But for me, I'm very much on board with Meat's opinion that the album is a whole.
I completely agree.
My favourite is changing day by day according my mood and my thoughts. But it's true for every other Meat Loaf songs.
brita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2016, 13:39   #39
Tina.K.
Braver than she is 🤔

Default My favourites

1. Dirty job - stunning! Stacy is great but I can't help keep wondering how it would sound like with Patti.
2. Souvenirs - great song and the only one in which you hear Meat sing higher octaves, and they overall sound pretty good.
3. Going all the way - just great, love Karla and Ellen on it. There's two lines in this song where Meat sings solo, imo, he had to do that on a higher octave.
4. Speaking in tongues - good vocals, lovely bridge.
5. Godz - crazy but catchy
6. Who needs the young - piece of bizarre art
7. Train of love - yep, like it.
8. More - not quite my song, but when you imagine the serialkiller with the girl singing as his conscience (Meat told that was the character), he did a good job!
9. Skull of your country - nice, but a bit boring when you listen to it too often
10. Only when I feel - no, shouldn't have put this on the album. It's just not good enough, although I feel the pain of the character.

When I told Meat on Facebook I wouldn't have put 'only when I feel' on the album, he answered:
"Only when I feel ", was sung that way to make you feel the torment of the character. I had a perfect vocal , but was not right for the song !! " M

Still wonder what he exactly means...
Tina.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2016, 18:58   #40
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

Here's my new revised list after several listens. This is going to be hard because my opinion has changed about some songs and as an album it's one of the best I've ever listened to.

More
Skull of your country
Speaking in tongues
Loving you's a dirty job
Godz
Going all the way
Who needs the young
Only when I feel
Souvenirs
Train of love

The list may change from time to time because I love just about every song on this epic album.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2016, 16:06   #41
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

Can't rank the songs, because I like them all. Of course I have favorite songs, but all of them are fantastic.

PS. I wrote the review in the proper thread.
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Oct 2016, 15:40   #42
drewhiggins
Loafer

Train Of Love
Godz
More
Going All The Way
Souvenirs
Loving You Is A Dirty Job
Speaking In Tongues
Who Needs The Young
Only When I Feel
Skull Of Your Country

Truly a brilliant album.
drewhiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2016, 05:29   #43
misterfive
Super Loafer

I liked all the songs but I think Skulls Of Our Country gets a bad rap. I think it is honestly the best song on the album.
misterfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2016, 13:41   #44
Mr Flibble
Junior Loafer

Train of Love and More are my favourites. Followed by Souvenirs and Going all the way/Braver than we are.
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2016, 18:42   #45
Fire Ball
Himself

Turn around brights eyes was written for "skull" in 1968 !!!! it wasn't written for TEOTH,..... Jim' s words , I want people to know where things originally came from . People are to quick to speak without knowledge. Try and listen instead of just hearing , you have something in your hands that is so different , you have to write about it mins after getting it without even actually trying to understand it something that took years of work to complete, close to 50 years to be exact. and the world has lived in a vacuum of meaningless music so long when you get something in your hands that is truly different you don't even try to understand it . " Who needs The Young " written by a Genius at the age of 19 , you do not have the right to say anything about it . Go read the lyrics and think about a 19 year old writing that style of song . Way beyond your understanding !! You are talking about one one of the greatest writers in history , not just rock or Pop , in history how dare you disrespect him . This isn't a a famous rock band album who may have spent 3 days writing a song and 3 days recording it , Jim is a master and writes like one go study some of the great composers , look up composers on google and read about them . It took some them Years to finish a piece of music. All of you are pissing me off treating this as another album put out by lazy jerks who won't nothing but to be stars . This Album is so far above most of your heads you have know Idea what you are writing about or listening too . Yes that is an insult to your intelligent . You are attacking Jim and I for one will not stand for it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
I agree with you on these 4 points:

Going All The Way is perfection - just brilliant!
Train Of Love is the weakest song
Who Needs The Young - don't like it!
Only When I Feel - I get what you're saying

On the whole, I think it's a great album. It's definitely different...but Meat said it was!

Last edited by Fire Ball; 05 Nov 2016 at 18:58.
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 19:30   #46
nightinr
Super Loafer

Meat please stop being so sensitive. As fans we are entitled to opinions. We love the vast majority of your songs over the last five decades.

Music is art we don't all have to agree on everything. I like Braver but I just can't have it as better than Bat 1 or Bat 2. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

We love you give us some love back instead of being Mr Grumpy!
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 19:38   #47
Evil One
Mega Loafer

I don't see the issue with using 'Turn around bright eyes' but I don't understand why there is no second verse. Jim wrote a couple of them:

Come on all you children, put your bodies up against the wall
Just stop your crying and start running down the hall
Youíve got no time to lose and thereís no peace left at all
Youíre on the edge now and thereís always one more fall

Donít let the slaughter drag you down
Who ever said that madness was a sin?
Itís too late for the rain to wash you down
Whoever killed the ocean and the wind?
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2016, 19:43   #48
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
... " Who needs The Young " written by a Genius at the age of 19 , you do not have the right to say anything about it . Go read the lyrics and think about a 19 year old writing that style of song . Way beyond your understanding !! You are talking about one one of the greatest writers in history , not just rock or Pop , in history how dare you disrespect him . This isn't a a famous rock band album who may have spent 3 days writing a song and 3 days recording it , Jim is a master and writes like one go study some of the great composers , look up composers on google and read about them . It took some them Years to finish a piece of music.
I understand your frustration, I really do. And I understand your sensitivity, not on your own behalf but on Jim's as a composer with no modern equal. But on this thread there are a number of us who have said we can't and won't "rate the songs", because we DO see it as a whole, do see each song has the touch of genius. Many DO understand that
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2016, 22:05   #49
LisaT
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Meat please stop being so sensitive. As fans we are entitled to opinions. We love the vast majority of your songs over the last five decades.

Music is art we don't all have to agree on everything. I like Braver but I just can't have it as better than Bat 1 or Bat 2. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

We love you give us some love back instead of being Mr Grumpy!
A-bloody-men!!!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 06 Nov 2016, 05:11   #50
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me

Meat answered this himself just a few days ago. I think the bold part is most important.

The answer is really this: what does music mean to you? That's the question. Why? Because people make music for other people. So it's not what it means to me, it's what it means to you when you get your hands on it and you hear it. No matter if it's Beethoven, Bach, LIeber and Stoller, The Beatles, The Goo Goo Dolls, The Police... doesn't matter. What does it mean to you?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/li...log-navigation
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Users Like This Post.