Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 16 Jan 2011, 02:48   #76
Sarge
Mega Loafer

It's really difficult to exchange opinions on this forum sometimes... Maybe I should have better remembered my earlier post about self-censorship...

Meat, I know it's not easy (I worked in marketing for a while) and I didn't "pass judgement". I described how I perceived something, I didn't intend to give advice and I don't want you to feel as if you had to justify what you do. Please don't mistake an opinion for judgement or for being a "monday-morning quaterback" and don't regard posts like that as an attack on you.

As I said in earlier discussions, we often don't know the background, e.g. what you just revealed about the issue of covering the costs. It's great that you provide us with such info from time to time and I'm sure you know that we appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
Sarge we came and had a great tour I did the best I could given what I had to work with as for as promo . Looks like you think you could do better ... Then go out and do it dude. !!
I never said the tour wasn't good promo (I referred to the time when the album came out), most of the footage of the current tour I've seen on YouTube would have made me go to a show if there had been any concerts over here. I never claimed that I "could do better" - and I'm not a dude.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 02:58   #77
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Sarge Think want ever you want. I don't care.
But you do care otherwise you wouldn't respond and defend yourself. I don't think Sarge is saying she could do better. She is simply wanting to see what you do best and that is perform the music. From the shows I saw in December, I think you were on the best form I've seen and heard since the nineties! You looked ecstatic, absolutely in the zone, enjoying the music and the shows so much. Stunning deliveries of the songs and a band, my god, I've never heard better and yes I do think you are responsible for that too!

I don't believe Sarge is attacking you at all. She simply wants the world to know and remember you for what you are so good at and that is performing the songs rather than being "another celebrity" and only talking about the music if you see what I mean.

Please don't think so negatively of your fans. If we write about our frustrations here, it's not so much an attack on you it's simply how things come across to us. You are right, we don't know the ins and out but that doesn't mean we should be quiet I think and not have opinions.

Please if you come back to the UK seek out the tv show Jools Holland on the BBC, I think you would like performing on there, all the artists seem to have a great time and it's real music, even if it is just you performing with Jools on piano without the band. I think it would be great.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 03:04   #78
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan View Post
Please read it! See and speak with you in Manchester! You rocked thousands of people! You was great I can`t find words! And the people behind me and there were thousands ,believe me, felt the same!!
The audience reception at the UK shows was out of this world.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 03:10   #79
LisaT
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Please if you come back to the UK seek out the tv show Jools Holland on the BBC, I think you would like performing on there, all the artists seem to have a great time and it's real music, even if it is just you performing with Jools on piano without the band. I think it would be great.
Absolutely Andrew! That is a show that Meat could really shine on, because it is all about the MUSIC, with no frills. He would do GREAT on that show!
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 10:55   #80
Fire Ball
Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
Absolutely Andrew! That is a show that Meat could really shine on, because it is all about the MUSIC, with no frills. He would do GREAT on that show!
I tried to work something out with that show, but I couldn't get on. Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time . Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old.
It makes me want to pull my hair out. I go out and work hard for them just hoping it will make them want to do more . They don't. They don't want to work anymore. Used to be they would listen and follow through on some of my ideas. , now they have an excuse for why they can't do any of my ideas. They only want to do it their way . The way they do every band . I'm not every band. To them I am nothing but another a can of soup.
I wasn't really attacking sarge, just saying that it is real easy to sit on the sideline and judge and speculate . Believe me almost everything that is written on here about promo I tried and things that you guys never thought of. Nobody cares, they are not selling records. So they want to do as little as possible . At least the UK did TV ads. The US wouldn't . I told them my audience is not where you are putting your money (very little).I thought Management was going to blow a Gasget. If the UK was bad , the US and Australia were worse. New Zealand did pretty good , Germany fair . I did get a gold record in the UK for Hang cool so it keeps my streak alive, every record in the UK has gone gold. If it doesn't have "Hell" in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 . If I would have it would have been a negative for a lot of people but in the end would have sold more records . When I refused ,it pissed them off. So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS. I know ,you say "oh no" not that. Good news for some of you though. The songs go with the title and PATRICK is no where around. LOL
To Sarge, I really wasn't angry. Just wanted you to know I wasn't waiting on someone to do something. I was out kicking on their doors. Working really really hard. DUDE I CALL EVERYONE DUDE NOW, I think I'm still in the 80's.

The best to all of you ( even Evil one) I like" Holy one " better . Be "evil one" on the Rockman site and "Holy one" here. Yes that's it!!!

Meat

Last edited by Fire Ball; 16 Jan 2011 at 11:28.
Fire Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:00   #81
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
I tried to work something out with that show, but I couldn't get on. Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time . Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single .
Damn. Old people are being prosecuted left and right.

Virgin records/ MCA seemed to do everything right back in the 90's.

Didnt they get Hudson theater filmed in 1993 (which hasnt been released) and put out the Live around the world compilation?

You were what, 40 something in 1994, that was still old and they still put out a decent publicized single or five. I miss them lol.

I really think SNL couldve helped since you havent been on SNL since 1978 lol. and that broke BOOH!
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:03   #82
MeatGrl1
No Day But Today

Location:  Sitting on the steps outside looking so restless and reckless and lost!

Thanks for this Meat !!!
I think it's really sad that record companys do that, so what if your old, that doesn't take away that your still an artist and have ideas of your own and can still create, to me that sounds very narrow minded of them just to dismiss you like that, not alone rude.

And I look forward to hearing the duet with you and Patti, bet it'll be stunning as always !!

Quote:
I tried to work something out with that show, but I couldn't get on. Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time . Screamed when they wouldn't put out a real single . They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. meaning old. It makes me want to pull my hair out. I go out and work hard for them just hoping it will make them want to do more . They don't. They don't want to work anymore, used to be they would listen and follow through on some , now they have an excuse for why they can't do any of my ideas. They only want to do it their way . The way they do every band . I'm not every band. To them I am a can of soup. I wasn't really attacking sarge, just saying that it is real easy to sit on the sideline and judge and speculate . Believe me almost everything that is written on here about promo I tried and things that you guys never thought of. nobody cares, they are not selling records. I did get a gold record in the UK for Hang cool so it keeps my streak alive, every record in the UK has gone gold. If it doesn't have hell in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 . when I refused it pissed them off. So now I've come with a Title with hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs one we are going to do one like NINE INCH NAILS. I know you say "oh no" not that.
The songs go with the title and PATRICK is no where around. LOL
To Sarge, I really wasn't angry. Just wanted you to know I wasn't waiting on someone to do something. I was out kicking on their doors. Working really really hard. DUDE I CALL EVERYONE DUDE NOW, I think I'm still in the 80's.

The best to all of you ( even Evil one) I like" Holy one " better . Be "evil one" on the rockman site and "Holy one" here. Yes that's it.

Meat
MeatGrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:09   #83
fan
Senior Loafer

Thanks for your often words!!
fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:10   #84
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker
Sounds promising.

Quote:
PATRICK is no where around. LOL
Thank ~~~~ for that!

Quote:
I like" Holy one " better
Only at Christmas time.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:28   #85
fan
Senior Loafer

I have so many thoughts Iwant to write you but it needs time to find all english words to say them right!
But I can understand you absolutely!
fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:35   #86
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
They said we don't do that!!! I said yes you do , named the artists , they came back with , well we don't for artist like you. [...] They only want to do it their way .
That's a pity, appears like meeting a brick wall all the time. I thought that's why bands sign contracts with record companies - to get support? But then again, I'm a naive idealist sometimes...

Quote:
meaning old.
I wonder why the business is that obsessed with youth. I spent the last night watching Keith Richards videos.

Quote:
If it doesn't have hell in the title they don't want to work it. They tried to get me to call it Bat 4 . when I refused it pissed them off.
I want the job of the person(s) who suggested that. I wish I'd get paid for coming up with the same idea again and again.

Quote:
Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs one we are going to do one like NINE INCH NAILS. I know you say "oh no" not that.
That sounds interesting.

Quote:
The songs go with the title and PATRICK is no where around. LOL
I'd like to hug for this.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:37   #87
Fire Ball
Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
Damn. Old people are being prosecuted left and right.

Virgin records/ MCA seemed to do everything right back in the 90's.

Didnt they get Hudson theater filmed in 1993 (which hasnt been released) and put out the Live around the world compilation?

You were what, 40 something in 1994, that was still old and they still put out a decent publicized single or five. I miss them lol.

I really think SNL couldve helped since you havent been on SNL since 1978 lol. and that broke BOOH!
Did it in 83 as well with Tim Curry, In the old days SNL would count for 50,000 records it just doesn't sell much anymore. I would have done it for sure. You need a hot record to get on and we just didn't get enough radio. Not giving up though. I want to try " Love somebody" on AC over here. Why not , if the record co will do it.
M
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:39   #88
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I wonder why the business is that obsessed with youth.
I do wonder sometimes. Their reason for existing is to make money, so why would they not fully utilise all the possible revenue streams? It's just bad business.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:42   #89
MeatGrl1
No Day But Today

Location:  Sitting on the steps outside looking so restless and reckless and lost!
Talking

Quote:
Did it in 83 as well with Tim Curry, In the old days SNL would count for 50,000 records it just doesn't sell much anymore. I would have done it for sure. You need a hot record to get on and we just didn't get enough radio. Not giving up though. I want to try " Love somebody" on AC over here. Why not , if the record co will do it.
M
That sounds really cool, I like that song , hope it works out and was that thing with Tim the Meat And Tim's Rocky Horror Shop ?

, love that still makes me laugh !!
MeatGrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 11:53   #90
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Don't think that I did not try every ave. that was available . I did. I would come up with 3 or 4 marketing ideas a day and tell the record co. Shot down every time ..... it is real easy to sit on the sideline and judge and speculate . Believe me almost everything that is written on here about promo I tried and things that you guys never thought of.
Never doubted that. I remember you saying how frustrated you were, particularly in the USA, and that you'd delivered an album skewed to a younger demographic, but they only considered the older demographic because they were the people who had bought records before. "It’s like a conveyor belt and they just keep saying, 'Oh, we don’t know how to do that.’ And I’m going, ‘Oh my Lord, help me out!'"

Quote:
I did get a gold record in the UK for Hang cool so it keeps my streak alive, every record in the UK has gone gold. So now, I've come with a Title with Hell in it. Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs. One we are going to do like NINE INCH NAILS.

Quote:
The best to all of you ( even Evil one) I like" Holy one " better . Be "evil one" on the Rockman site and "Holy one" here. Yes that's it!!!

Meat
Leopards wouldn't lose their spots even if we started calling them lions ..

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2011, 12:04   #91
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
I do wonder sometimes. Their reason for existing is to make money, so why would they not fully utilise all the possible revenue streams? It's just bad business.
It is .. but many industries don't exemplify good business, and record companies are no exception, far from it imo. They don't seem to have grasped how to manage the changes forced on their industry, nor to be able to design strategies to for different groups of artists. They seem happy to enjoy the money they make from contracts which are skewed to benefit them with the wave of new young artists, rather than exploit all opportunities; quick and high volume small returns from downloads in a crowded market, then on to the next one, because there are a hundred more waiting.

Caryl
Old 16 Jan 2011, 12:35   #92
Wario

Quote:
M
dunno. DYELS is a fantastic song, but I dunno seeing as Jessica SImpson did and it may be views as a 60 year old man singing jessica simpson.

Why not hit them hard with california? lol I know its soooo offensive to prudes and the amish, but it'll make huge publicity.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 12:42   #93
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Why not hit them hard with california? lol I know its soooo offensive to prudes and the amish, but it'll make huge publicity.
Because there are many prudes in the US who will complain incredibly loudly. Would you really want to see Meat get barbecued at the stake?
Old 16 Jan 2011, 12:56   #94
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Because there are many prudes in the US who will complain incredibly loudly. Would you really want to see Meat get barbecued at the stake?
if gets him to add California to the set then yes

(lol no)
Old 16 Jan 2011, 12:57   #95
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
lol I know its soooo offensive to prudes and the amish
I thought the Amish don't have radios.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 13:28   #96
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I thought the Amish don't have radios.
good point!

But given that to even get the album into some stores in the US the track had to be removed, it would be an odd choice for a single imo if Meat's intention was to try for a hit with a single. Even with a possible aim of getting a younger demographic, surely you'd want to maximise sales and get airtime. In the USA it could alienate swathes of middle-America, and would be less likely to get airplay. The kind of negative publicity it could attract, whilst it may benefit some rappers, could well mitigate against sales of a new Meat Loaf album, which I'd have expected Meat to want to sell to the widest demographic. At this stage in his career I'd have thought he'd want to ADD a younger market whilst maintaining his existing one.

Caryl
Old 16 Jan 2011, 13:55   #97
Fire Ball
Himself

Quote:
dunno. DYELS is a fantastic song, but I dunno seeing as Jessica SImpson did and it may be views as a 60 year old man singing jessica simpson.

No one knows she even did it, it was the last song on some TV show album. You wouldn't know it was the same song. It never went to Radio as a single.
M

Last edited by Fire Ball; 16 Jan 2011 at 14:31.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 14:01   #98
Wario

Quote:
No one knows she even did it, it was the last song on some TV show album. You wouldn't know it was the same song.
M
Hmmmm. well whatever the record company decides, hopefully some more 2010 live tracks (IE the Boneyard Medley or Took the Words) or a Case De Carne recording of Bad For Good as a b-side.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 14:36   #99
AndrewG

Quote:
You were what, 40 something in 1994, that was still old....
I wonder how many people on the forum you have insulted with that one....

Quote:
I wonder why the business is that obsessed with youth. I spent the last night watching Keith Richards videos.
Because youth=sex and sex sells. However when Cheryl Cole gets nominated for a Brit for best single you know that all hope is lost for the record industry. Sure they can make songs sound slick and catchy these days but stand in front of experienced artists performing such as Meat or Springsteen.... there is a BIG difference in my opinion! Not seen a young artist perform anywhere near those two. Most young artists I've seen on stage or on TV seem to miss the heart, the passion, the life experience to make the words sound convincing. On top of this almost everyone who auditions for daft shows like Idol or X Factor seem to want the celebrity status before they actually want to do the work. It's , the world doesn't owe these guys anything.

Quote:
I want the job of the person(s) who suggested that. I wish I'd get paid for coming up with the same idea again and again.
Ah me too!

Quote:
Paul is working on the first song." The Devil in me" duet with Patti. It's a rocker... We got some great songs.
Thank you!
Old 16 Jan 2011, 14:53   #100
razorball2002

NIN...That is definitely cool! The Fragile is one of the best concept albums of all times, but it takes a while to enter in this Reznorish world. It failed commercially. .. Cant wait to hear that next Meat album!!
razorball2002 is offline   Reply With Quote