Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 23 Feb 2017, 15:58   #476
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Has anyone noticed tickets for the London show seem rather expensive compared to other shows. Tickets between £15-250 compared to Les Mis £12.50-£127
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2017, 16:05   #477
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
Has anyone noticed tickets for the London show seem rather expensive compared to other shows. Tickets between £15-250 compared to Les Mis £12.50-£127
Yup, I think it is astonishingly expensive, especially since it is a new musical and I just saw Wicked a few weeks ago on a Saturday and had some of the most expensive seats. And here was me thinking that only Wicked / Les mis / Phantom could charge those kind of fees.

To be fair the musical looks pretty good from what I have heard and seen on photos. It could only work if they indeed went all out and it looks like they did. Hope to catch it but pricey it sure is.... (London at least)

Just saw most expensive seats for Lion King are now £142 for Saturdays in a few weeks. Musical prices sure have increased, so maybe it is just in line. But still since Bat is so new... wow. But if they can sell them then I guess it is justified.
For anyone wanting to take family to Lion King and best seats, now a week's holiday might be cheaper... Jeez.

Last edited by AndrewG; 23 Feb 2017 at 16:13.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2017, 17:13   #478
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yup, I think it is astonishingly expensive, especially since it is a new musical and I just saw Wicked a few weeks ago on a Saturday and had some of the most expensive seats. And here was me thinking that only Wicked / Les mis / Phantom could charge those kind of fees.

To be fair the musical looks pretty good from what I have heard and seen on photos. It could only work if they indeed went all out and it looks like they did. Hope to catch it but pricey it sure is.... (London at least)

Just saw most expensive seats for Lion King are now £142 for Saturdays in a few weeks. Musical prices sure have increased, so maybe it is just in line. But still since Bat is so new... wow. But if they can sell them then I guess it is justified.
For anyone wanting to take family to Lion King and best seats, now a week's holiday might be cheaper... Jeez.
I would guess that some of the price is dependant on the cost of production and with the stuff that I've seen I'm guessing there are more costs involved than with a lot of big shows.

Other than that...it is still a show in a theatre so the prices were always going to be at least in line with other top productions. And London is London. We were going to see the Lion King when it toured and tickets up here were £65 for second tier seats in the dress circle (we didn't get to see it as my wife went into labour an hour before it started a week early after joking for months that if she had it during the show I was going to Simba it with the baby on the balcony) So London tickets are always over inflated anyway, but, so is everything else down there.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2017, 17:44   #479
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
I would guess that some of the price is dependant on the cost of production and with the stuff that I've seen I'm guessing there are more costs involved than with a lot of big shows.

Other than that...it is still a show in a theatre so the prices were always going to be at least in line with other top productions. And London is London. We were going to see the Lion King when it toured and tickets up here were £65 for second tier seats in the dress circle (we didn't get to see it as my wife went into labour an hour before it started a week early after joking for months that if she had it during the show I was going to Simba it with the baby on the balcony) So London tickets are always over inflated anyway, but, so is everything else down there.
It's very suspicious what is going on with Lion King. I went to see the show 6 years ago and easily got two front row tickets one month in advance. Two years later I went again and had similar front row seats. I'm not 100% sure but it appears now that by looking at quite a few dates, either through the Lion King site itself or ticketmaster front row seats for the middle area where I've sat are never available, no matter how far you go into the future.
Furthermore the best advanced ticket prices for the front stalls area seems to be around £77

In 2011 I paid £105 for two tickets, in 2013 it was £120. So now you can't really go for much less than £154 for two people if you want to sit near the front at least (and these are not what the venue thinks are the very best seats btw).
It's quite an increase and I'm guessing those front middle area tickets are going straight to resellers now.

Shame.

I hope resellers are not getting their hands on tons of Bat tickets, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 21:12   #480
Danny L
Super Loafer

I might have booked a LDN matinee ticket for the 20th July

Because, y'know..
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 02:35   #481
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yup, looked at a family outing to that, quckly changed our mind, jut couldn't justify pending that much
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2017, 10:34   #482
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
Yup, looked at a family outing to that, quckly changed our mind, jut couldn't justify pending that much
It's a great show, kids love it, the additional songs are superb especially "They live in you", but last time I went and sat near the front I couldn't help but be irritated by the orchestra members and conductor who blatantly were talking during non music parts. Even the conductor looked like he showed up in his sportsdirect.com tracksuit.

At these prices a more professional approach can be expected in my opinion.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 13:02   #483
nightinr
Super Loafer

I'm going to Manchester tonight. Will report back tomorrow with a honest review.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 21:17   #484
K1ttycat
Super Loafer

Location:  Orig. from Milwaukee, WI now in Cheadle Hulme,ENG for 21 years

I went to the matinee today. I was totally blown away. I don't think I blinked the entire first act, and the second act I blinked only when I was trying to rid myself of the tears that were welling up.

I was a bit disappointed that Andrew Polec was replaced by his understudy, but Benjamin Purkiss did an amazing job (and he is just so adorable!). There was so much to take in - the story, the music, the incredible staging. I feel like I need to see it at least three more times before I could really review it properly. It is like when I'm editing a book for a client - I read it through and correct any minor errors, and then the second and third read-throughs really analyze the story piece by piece.

What I will say is that this was one million times better than anything produced on stage before. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to stay there and become a part of that world.

I'm seriously considering running away with the show.

I hope to make it back a few more times - just had a look at tickets and most shows are down to single seats, though, and I want to take as many friends as I can. Definitely not to be missed.
K1ttycat is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 23:13   #485
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ttycat View Post
I went to the matinee today. I was totally blown away. I don't think I blinked the entire first act, and the second act I blinked only when I was trying to rid myself of the tears that were welling up.

I was a bit disappointed that Andrew Polec was replaced by his understudy, but Benjamin Purkiss did an amazing job (and he is just so adorable!). There was so much to take in - the story, the music, the incredible staging. I feel like I need to see it at least three more times before I could really review it properly. It is like when I'm editing a book for a client - I read it through and correct any minor errors, and then the second and third read-throughs really analyze the story piece by piece.

What I will say is that this was one million times better than anything produced on stage before. I didn't want it to end. I wanted to stay there and become a part of that world.

I'm seriously considering running away with the show.

I hope to make it back a few more times - just had a look at tickets and most shows are down to single seats, though, and I want to take as many friends as I can. Definitely not to be missed.
Just out of curiosity on this...is Ben doing a lot of shows at the minute or is it that he's doing most of the matinees and Andrew is taking the evenings? I know a lot of shows have had to do that when there are so many shows and a role is as challenging as this has to be.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 23:20   #486
K1ttycat
Super Loafer

The programme booklet also lists a second understudy for this role - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember the actor's name.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 10:42   #487
nightinr
Super Loafer

MANCHESTER 25TH FEBRUARY 7.30PM REVIEW

As promised I thought I would scribble a few notes about my experience last night.....

Firstly I must add I'm not a regular on the musical scene so I didn't really know what to expect. The Opera House in all honesty is a bit of a dump....I'm sure it was nice 50 years ago but it is in urgent need of a lick of paint and being brought into the 21st century.

It was a packed house and the crowd were all ages from 16-75 - a really nice mix of people.

I was disappointed that Andrew Polec was replaced by Benjamin Purkiss. Apparently this has happened a few times. I overheard somebody saying there was "problems with Andrew" - not sure if that is illness or something else?

Benjamin Purkiss and Christina Bennington gave solid performances -it is obvious they were very musically drilled. They both lacked the high notes Christina especially on Heaven Can Wait but on the whole they gave good performances. I would have liked both characters to be a bit more "rugged"....maybe that's what Andrew brings to the show. Benjamin Purkiss is almost too good looking - I bet he is copping off with every female member of the show!

The real stars of the show was Rob Fowler and Sharon Sexton who gave unbelievable vocal and acting performances. Truly phenomenal especially Rob Fowler.

Also of note was Danielle Steers who gave an incredible performance of 2 out of 3.

Of the show itself it had a great set, great props and the music was fantastic. The songs that I don't always like Meat singing such as Objects, 2outof3, Crying out of Loud seemed perfect for the musical genre. I even enjoyed Who needs the Young (Rob Fowler sang it so much better than Meat!).

The main things thatthe producers need to work on prior to the official opening is the dancing which at times seemed like the local drama school and the attempted comedy....which I didn't find funny at all (nor did the majority of the audience).

I was critical of the show charging £65 for previews, however after seeing the show and approx 25 cast members plus orchestra I can see why they charge so much. I will admit I got that wrong.

Overall it was a great night bringing Steinman music to life. Few things to work on but hoping it ill be a long term success.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 13:05   #488
Renegade Angel
Super Loafer

I saw the show on Thursday 23rd Feb, Amazing show! Does anybody know the relevance of 'Modern Girl' Being played at the close of the show? I thought its possibly a nod to Meat Loaf but wondered why this song?
Renegade Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 14:13   #489
K1ttycat
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
MANCHESTER 25TH FEBRUARY 7.30PM REVIEW

As promised I thought I would scribble a few notes about my experience last night.....

Firstly I must add I'm not a regular on the musical scene so I didn't really know what to expect. The Opera House in all honesty is a bit of a dump....I'm sure it was nice 50 years ago but it is in urgent need of a lick of paint and being brought into the 21st century.

It was a packed house and the crowd were all ages from 16-75 - a really nice mix of people.

I was disappointed that Andrew Polec was replaced by Benjamin Purkiss. Apparently this has happened a few times. I overheard somebody saying there was "problems with Andrew" - not sure if that is illness or something else?

Benjamin Purkiss and Christina Bennington gave solid performances -it is obvious they were very musically drilled. They both lacked the high notes Christina especially on Heaven Can Wait but on the whole they gave good performances. I would have liked both characters to be a bit more "rugged"....maybe that's what Andrew brings to the show. Benjamin Purkiss is almost too good looking - I bet he is copping off with every female member of the show!

The real stars of the show was Rob Fowler and Sharon Sexton who gave unbelievable vocal and acting performances. Truly phenomenal especially Rob Fowler.

Also of note was Danielle Steers who gave an incredible performance of 2 out of 3.

Of the show itself it had a great set, great props and the music was fantastic. The songs that I don't always like Meat singing such as Objects, 2outof3, Crying out of Loud seemed perfect for the musical genre. I even enjoyed Who needs the Young (Rob Fowler sang it so much better than Meat!).

The main things thatthe producers need to work on prior to the official opening is the dancing which at times seemed like the local drama school and the attempted comedy....which I didn't find funny at all (nor did the majority of the audience).

I was critical of the show charging £65 for previews, however after seeing the show and approx 25 cast members plus orchestra I can see why they charge so much. I will admit I got that wrong.

Overall it was a great night bringing Steinman music to life. Few things to work on but hoping it ill be a long term success.
My husband said the same thing about the dancing. To be more specific, he said waving your hands above your head (cue his ridiculous demonstration!) isn't dancing. I think he was referring to the dancers in the Paradise scene. I enjoyed the dancing, but it sort of stayed in the background for me as I concentrated on whoever was singing at the time in each scene.

I wouldn't really call the comedy "comedy" but more like quirky, clever lines - but perhaps seeing it from a US background some of it made more sense? I can't remember the exact line, but the one where "home" was in the reply is one example.

I was actually impressed with the Opera House. The seats were nice and plush - we were in Row H in the stalls so had extra legroom – and the carpet in the theatre looked relatively new - well, within the past few years at least - in comparison to the pub-like carpeting on the stairs, etc. We saw Cats last year, but I don't remember being as impressed - it seemed like something was different this time around.

Oh and Ben was definitely an insta-crush for my 13-year-old daughter ... lol
Old 27 Feb 2017, 20:13   #490
greg
Super Loafer

Could someone give my, some advice on booking tickets for bat out of hell musical.i looked to book for the balcony. Date Saturday matinee 2.30 on 8 July but it seems there only handful tickets left.so I didn't know if they hold them back. And release more tickets as the date become nearer.
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:14   #491
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

It's selling well in London now Greg. There's a few different places selling tickets I think so it maybe that you'll find better seats on ticketmaster etc? I book through ATGtickets.com
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:18   #492
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Went again last night - Ben Purkiss was good, not as intense as Andrew IMO, some songs seem a little too big for him but I think he looks right and he's romantic in the correct way. When he sings in his higher register it's beautiful but he's much more Musical Theatre than Rock and Roll.

Got to have a closer look at the stage, the set is phenomenal and the bedroom set is so steep! Could hardly stand, don't know how they do it!!

Second time, the dance has is starting to work - TOOK THE WORDS choreography is amazing now! The show is really tightening up, there was much less waiting for intros into songs than on the opening night too.

I love the show, I knew I would. It's amazing to watch it grow. In again on Thursday :P
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:54   #493
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Went again last night - Ben Purkiss was good, not as intense as Andrew IMO, some songs seem a little too big for him but I think he looks right and he's romantic in the correct way. When he sings in his higher register it's beautiful but he's much more Musical Theatre than Rock and Roll.

Got to have a closer look at the stage, the set is phenomenal and the bedroom set is so steep! Could hardly stand, don't know how they do it!!

Second time, the dance has is starting to work - TOOK THE WORDS choreography is amazing now! The show is really tightening up, there was much less waiting for intros into songs than on the opening night too.

I love the show, I knew I would. It's amazing to watch it grow. In again on Thursday :P
See as much as I would have loved to go earlier, that's partly why I'm happy to wait until next month to see it to give it a little chance to get any immediate improvements bed in. I would like to get to London to see it but it's unlikely due mainly to timing so I'd like to see it as close to what London will be (barring any changes that are made between the runs to script and songs etc).

Also, Greg, on the ticket front, I know they did block off a lot of later seats for Manchester until the earlier shows were selling more, but as has been said I think London is doing well. There are always a few seats end up appearing close to the time, but in general I think what is there is what is there.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 12:01   #494
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:

Glad that you're enjoying it so much! Did you notice anything ... different ... about last night's show?
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2017, 13:02   #495
eltmatt
Super Loafer

I'm there tommorrow night front row, so excited. I dont mind seeing Ben or Andrew with their tops off but since I've followed this since last July feel like I really wanna see Andrew
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 13:37   #496
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Who is going for the London opening night? Big meet up??
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2017, 18:22   #497
nightinr
Super Loafer

Do we know why Andrew Polec is missing so many shows? Is it due to illness or something else?
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 01 Mar 2017, 01:00   #498
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Glad that you're enjoying it so much! Did you notice anything ... different ... about last night's show?
I watched really closely, (and I spoke to Jay before the show) but I only noticed that the show was tighter, there were changes in the script around what happened to Strat between the end of Act 1 and the journey in Act 2.

But apart from the development of the choreography and the show generally making more sense to me, I didn't notice any major changes...

I think the songs were in the same order etc

What was the plan? I'd love to know. DM if better please? :)

Thanks,
Ant
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 01 Mar 2017, 08:50   #499
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
I watched really closely, (and I spoke to Jay before the show) but I only noticed that the show was tighter, there were changes in the script around what happened to Strat between the end of Act 1 and the journey in Act 2.

But apart from the development of the choreography and the show generally making more sense to me, I didn't notice any major changes...

I think the songs were in the same order etc

What was the plan? I'd love to know. DM if better please? :)

Thanks,
Ant
Good Girls was cut, too!
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2017, 11:48   #500
eltmatt
Super Loafer

Im so excited now
1 User Likes This Post.