Nothing wrong with Aspen Miller
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 02:45   #52
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Is there anything better than Meat performing live on stage?
Yes, there is: live Meat and early Meat in the studio. Quoting Meat's Facebook release yesterday:

Quote:
Okay, in 2012 we were on tour in the summer and it was a great tour I have about 6 Live board tapes from 2012 I am go to put up on Pledge . If you don't know about Pledge is Look it up, very cool . We are getting ready to put Demos from 1975 that only up until about 6 months ago only about 5 people had ever heard them . Jim would have put them up if he could have found his copy he would have . I had mine and I convinced him to save them , I was right for about the 100th time in 50 years ( there was whole lot more but I want him to feel good) .
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 02:55   #53
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Meat's said on his FB page " I have about 6 Live board tapes from 2012 I am go to put up on Pledge . If you don't know about Pledge Look it up, very cool . We are getting ready to put Demos from 1975 that only up until about 6 months ago only about 5 people had ever heard them"

So something there to look forward to :)
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 21:55   #54
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Nothing wrong with Aspen Miller
No. She was one hell of a performer, a looker and she was extremely professional and full of fresh energy on stage. I really enjoyed the shows with her.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 20:49   #55
nightinr
Super Loafer

Is Meat actually expecting us to pay for these "tapes" ? Surely as a gesture to fans he should just put them on his website or another format for free. Let's face it most of us already paid a lot of money for tour tickets.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2018, 20:50   #56
nightinr
Super Loafer

And as for Aspen Miller nothing personal against the girl...but not in same league as Patti.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 23:42   #57
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Is Meat actually expecting us to pay for these "tapes" ? Surely as a gesture to fans he should just put them on his website or another format for free. Let's face it most of us already paid a lot of money for tour tickets.
Why not? Those of us who paid money for tickets had our contract fulfilled .. we got a show! Meat would I'm sure be sending the money to charity .. and many fans will no doubt find ways of getting it free as they have done with so many of his albums!
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 18:51   #58
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Long ago Meat was going to put some tapes on here that illustrated where he hit the notes when someone had claimed he didn't. He was not inclined to do this after realizing that these tapes could be sold, so maybe he thought if anyone would sell them why not sell them himself.

I am happy he is making these available. It is really an extreme "niche" item so I do not expect there will be a windfall made off them.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 20:10   #59
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
People expecting artists to give their work away for free is part of what's wrong with the way things are today...I'm glad he's putting them up and is not afraid to ask for money for his work, regardless of which decade it was done in. An artist has to make a living somehow,whether by asking a fair price or working a day job, as I do.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 22:59   #60
MarkS
Super Loafer

I have no issue paying for a copy of the tapes. I went to several shows that year and would label it as money well spent. Don't want to pay for them, then don't, simple as that
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 17:57   #61
nightinr
Super Loafer

No problem in paying for proper albums or live albums properly released but to pay for these tapes is verging on taking advantage of loyal fans. Surely it would be a nice gesture to hand them over for free so we can enjoy them and marvel at his past performances.

I know the silent majority agree with me 🙂
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 19:34   #62
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
No problem in paying for proper albums or live albums properly released but to pay for these tapes is verging on taking advantage of loyal fans. Surely it would be a nice gesture to hand them over for free so we can enjoy them and marvel at his past performances.
I suppose it's down to each artist to decide whether to give it away or charge, it's theirs so it's their choice, Yes it would be a nice gesture but I don't think that fans of any artist have any right to it for free, they themselves have the choice whether to pay for it or not, I don't see that as being taken advantage of.

Quote:
How?
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 19:37   #63
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

There's no such thing as a silent majority. For a majority to form, they have to stand up and be counted.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 21:39   #64
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:

I know the silent majority agree with me ��
Certainly it would be a nice gesture. But Meat has the tapes and this is what he chooses to do with them. If I find the price to be too much, I have the option not to buy them so if whoever wants to maximize sales they find an agreeable selling price.
Not even the majority of loyal Meat Loaf fans are going to have interest in old concert tapes, it is a niche audience. Most fans will buy the officially released live albums if they want some live shows. I want to hear the unedited soundboards. I'd prefer ones from say '87 to '93 and a real "Storytellers" tour show, maybe those will come out later.

As I said earlier I really do not think anyone should expect any huge number of sales on these.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 16 Feb 2018, 23:58   #65
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:

How do you know that? HOW DID YOU TALK TO THE SILENT MAJORITY I WANT IN
Old 17 Feb 2018, 02:29   #66
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:

I know the silent majority agree with me ��
If there is a silent majority that wants Meat to hand stuff over for free or other wise they feel taken advantage of then I'm glad that silent majority mostly shuts the hell up.

Springsteen set up a whole website where you can buy his concert tapes. Only ever given out a few tracks and one whole show for free out of hundreds from what I could see. And Springsteen is over half way to being a billionaire.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 06:39   #67
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
If there is a silent majority that wants Meat to hand stuff over for free or other wise they feel taken advantage of then I'm glad that silent majority mostly shuts the hell up.

Springsteen set up a whole website where you can buy his concert tapes. Only ever given out a few tracks and one whole show for free out of hundreds from what I could see. And Springsteen is over half way to being a billionaire.
Yeah, I think it's fairly normal...I mean i'll take what I can get for bootlegs, and I would happily accept any free things that come my way, but I would never question an artist who wishes to sell their work. Whether I would buy it is another matter. I'm not sure I would buy the 2012 tapes. We'll see how much it costs and if I can afford that.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 08:53   #68
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
People expecting artists to give their work away for free is part of what's wrong with the way things are today...I'm glad he's putting them up and is not afraid to ask for money for his work, regardless of which decade it was done in. An artist has to make a living somehow,whether by asking a fair price or working a day job, as I do.
Lots of artists sell concert recordings these days- I think it's perfectly fine. I have no problem paying for officially released product (assuming the price is reasonable).

Springsteen started by selling recordings of current shows, then gradually moved into selling old archive shows (minor correction- it's not his own website, he hired a company to handle it. His record company also gets a cut). People happily buy the old shows, even though we have decent to good bootlegs of some of them already.

In Meat's case, this is new for him, and I think it's a good step. If the fans enjoy it, perhaps he will release more shows in the future. This could give those who don't like bootlegs or don't know where to get them a chance to hear some old shows.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 09:12   #69
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
Lots of artists sell concert recordings these days- I think it's perfectly fine. I have no problem paying for officially released product (assuming the price is reasonable).

Springsteen started by selling recordings of current shows, then gradually moved into selling old archive shows (minor correction- it's not his own website, he hired a company to handle it. His record company also gets a cut). People happily buy the old shows, even though we have decent to good bootlegs of some of them already.

In Meat's case, this is new for him, and I think it's a good step. If the fans enjoy it, perhaps he will release more shows in the future. This could give those who don't like bootlegs or don't know where to get them a chance to hear some old shows.
Well and, as much as I love the work of some great Meat Loaf fans who have done literally amazing work putting together stuff we would otherwise have never gotten to witness, official tapes, properly mixed and presented as a finished product have a special meaning to them to us all yes :) Brings things to a whole new level and means we can have some new fresh Meat Loaf stuff to keep that fix satisfied
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 09:22   #70
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

IMO, I think it's only fair that those of us who do collect boots support the official product (as we can afford).
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 09:47   #71
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
IMO, I think it's only fair that those of us who do collect boots support the official product (as we can afford).
Absolutely! And I happily would. Heck, to get some actual soundboards or anything, I would jump on that and pay for it. It's probably the same price as a night out to the movies. And more enjoyable at that
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 10:38   #72
nightinr
Super Loafer

With regard the "silent majority" the clue is in the title.

My opinion and I expect the "silent majority" think Meat has made enough from his loyal fans and it would nice gesture to release these tapes for nothing.

Last edited by R.; 18 Feb 2018 at 14:50. Reason: Political bits removed
2 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 11:50   #73
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:

My opinion and I expect the "silent majority" think Meat has made enough from his loyal fans and it would nice gesture to release these tapes for nothing.
I don't think anyone would deny it would be nice to have them given out. It would be really nice if the bank paid off my mortgage and I never had to work again too.

Last edited by R.; 18 Feb 2018 at 14:50. Reason: Political bits from quote removed
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 23:36   #74
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:

Yes but nobody really knows what the silent majority is thinking. Of course they exist. The question is, what is their collective opionion about Meat's givings and misgivings to his fans? I suspect the silent majority have a multitude of opinions, given that they (whoever we are assuming "they" are at this point...Major Meat fans? Major Steinmen fans? Casual Meat fans? The general public who know Meat Loaf exists and can sing the chorus of paradise or 2 outta 3?) are all individual people who have each had their own personal relationship with their Meat Loaf music. I think it is very hard to generalize and any suggestions about what the silent majority "thinks" is an opinion based on your own experiences Nightinr. I do understand what you are trying to say, that in your opinion, the silent majority may not agree with Meat asking for money for these tapes. And it is a great idea to question things, such as you have been in this post. But I think for the sake of the discussion, it would be much easier to question or postulate without trying to make generalized statements about a group of people you don't know to try to make your point. Better, I think, to just state the opinion as your own and leave it at that. To some end, I actually agree with you that some things could be released for free, such as an old soundboard tape. (Similar to the isolated vocal that surfaced of Queen and David Bowie singing Under Pressure, although I do not know if that recording was originally sold and then posted online) But I think the underlying issue here may be that you don't think Meat is being respectful to his fans, and that is where we disagree. Meat cares about his fans more than himself, as he has shown on a number of occasions, such as the entire 2016 Canadian tour. I was there for two of the shows. He was unwell, clearly very different than when I saw him in Jan 2011 and March 2011 and June 2012. A different man. A man fighting terrible pain and physical disability in order to give us what was, without question, a ~~~~ing amazing, inspiring, truthfully awe-inspiring performance. (I said performance, not vocal). Meat cares so much about his fans. Perhaps that is a good place to steer this discussion back to. And to that end, I think we have much to look forward to as Meat's loyal fans. He wants us to have it all. He just needs time to heal. Time to think clearly free of pain and suffering. Time to feel himself again. He didn't look himself in 2016 in the summer. He looked like he'd aged 20 years in 3 years. Meat is dealing with one of the worst struggles of his life.

Last edited by R.; 18 Feb 2018 at 14:52. Reason: Political bits from quote removed
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 14:54   #75
R.
You dig.

Thread re-opened. Please leave all political stuff at the door. Thank you.
R. is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.