Default Imelda May duet with Meat?

Saw this on Facebook yesterday. For those who didn't know this either
Is there more info about it?

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0811...eat-loaf-duet/
Tina.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2014, 18:49   #2
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Not as far as I'm aware. Meat was in LA, went to see her show .. and she was to record with him in LA. Great pairing She has a strong gutsy voice . enjoyed seeing her sing with Meat in the encore set of the tour she opened for him here
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2014, 13:34   #3
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

I hope this is not going to be a duet album. One or maybe two at the max but after that I always thought that the album lost impact when the artist enlists too many guest vocalists.
BAT 3 being a good example,
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 17:54   #4
CarylB
Mega Loafer

I wouldn't lose heart just yet Cian was going to LA last week to record, we know Meat said Elllen and Karla would record a song with him (which seemed to delight many people) and something with Imelda.

Half the album will be Steinman songs which should please Steinman fans, I'd guess at least that number will be songs sung by Meat. Wasn't the plan for there to be 15 or 16 songs on the album? Any way you look at it there seems to me to be a pretty good album tucked in there for anyone .. and for me a really big one
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 10:32   #5
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Outside of the fact that Meat's releasing a new album (which is always good news) it was the news that he was recording with Imelda May that has got me the most excited. I couldn't think of anything better than two of my favourite artists working together on a song and I'm really excited to hear what they've done.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 13:21   #6
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

I guess I look at it I see it like this. I buy a meat album to hear meat. Not Meat and three or four duets.
I'm not losing heart but we'll wait and see
Old 29 Sep 2014, 15:38   #7
tonyloaf
Metal Head

it will kick ass! who ever is on it
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 19:10   #8
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
I guess I look at it I see it like this. I buy a meat album to hear meat.
There's no way you won't be able to hear him .. whoever duets or does background vocals

He's promised us an exciting new album of kick ass rock and roll, and no-ones suggested it will be an album of duets .. but much as I love Meat and his voice (and expect to hear many songs which simply have him doing vocals as is usual) I would not have wanted to forfeit Paradise, Dead Ringer, Anything For Love, A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste, I'd Lie for You, CHSIB, Man of Steel, IACBTMN, California Dreaming, Our Love and Our Souls and many more
Old 29 Sep 2014, 19:38   #9
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I guess I look at it I see it like this. I buy a meat album to hear meat.

I'm not losing heart but we'll wait and see
I was saying very similar things whilst the majority of people here were getting all excited over the fact that Steinman was writing more songs but I was made to feel like I was in the wrong (and no, I don't want to get into that again). The reason I have brought it up is because I'd say a fairly large percentage of Meat's global fanbase buy an album to hear Meat and that is what they will get. Everything else such as the songwriters, who the duets are and anything like that are a matter of personal tastes.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 20:18   #10
TheDoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaG View Post
I was saying very similar things whilst the majority of people here were getting all excited over the fact that Steinman was writing more songs but I was made to feel like I was in the wrong.
I think the difference is that Imelda May didn't write Bat Out of Hell, Dead Ringer, and Bat II, and practically discover Meat Loaf and make this whole journey of Rock and Roll Odyssey possible.

In fact, the next person to diminish Jim's involvement in anything Meat Loaf related at all - and then complain that they weren't 'diminishing his involvement' - will get whipped quite happily through the streets of Aberdeen!!

Last edited by TheDoode; 29 Sep 2014 at 20:29.
TheDoode is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 20:55   #11
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
There's no way you won't be able to hear him ..
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 13:27   #12
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoode View Post
I think the difference is that Imelda May didn't write Bat Out of Hell, Dead Ringer, and Bat II, and practically discover Meat Loaf and make this whole journey of Rock and Roll Odyssey possible.

In fact, the next person to diminish Jim's involvement in anything Meat Loaf related at all - and then complain that they weren't 'diminishing his involvement' - will get whipped quite happily through the streets of Aberdeen!!
That is completely true. However don't sell Meat short on BAT. He did just as much to make it a hit. Compare BAT to BAD and there you have it. The songs were still great but missing something big
As far as the duets are concerned anymore than one and its out of hand. And there is a big difference between background vocals and featured vocals
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 13:34   #13
TheDoode

Yep - taking away nothing from Meat Loaf at all, and all of the work that they both put into making their careers what they are.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 18:00   #14
Smithie
Super Loafer

Quote:
As far as the duets are concerned anymore than one and its out of hand. And there is a big difference between background vocals and featured vocals
I agree. Ellen, Karla, Imelda. Someone mentioned a duet with Cian. Then what about Stacy? Meat previously mentioned Pearl.
I always enjoy one good duet on an album (AFL, ILFY, CHSIB were exceptional). Otherwise, I prefer just Meat.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2014, 19:31   #15
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I agree. Ellen, Karla, Imelda.
Ellen and Karla are on the same song though aren't they?

I think there's one thing worth mentioning about duets with guest artists and that is the potential new market. Some of Imelda May's fans may not have previously considered listening to Meat's music before but may give it a chance after hearing their duet. I know that it was through Meat that I discovered a love for her music and had she not have supported him on tour a few years ago, I probably wouldn't have thought to listen to her stuff.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 20:06   #16
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaG View Post
Ellen and Karla are on the same song though aren't they?
That was the impression I got. Cian's partner posted that they were on their way to LA last week for her to "record vocals". Imelda said she has recorded a duet and it's up to Meat when it gets released; nothing there to confirm it is to be on Braver Than We Are. There is the Christmas album still in the offing for the future, and I got the impression that Meat was intending to record a number of duets for that.

BTWA is likely to have around 15 tracks. I really don't see why we should assume it will have a large number of duets .. there could be just a couple, which in an album with that many tracks is proportionately no more full of duets than BOOH.
Old 01 Oct 2014, 00:09   #17
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
That was the impression I got. Cian's partner posted that they were on their way to LA last week for her to "record vocals". Imelda said she has recorded a duet and it's up to Meat when it gets released; nothing there to confirm it is to be on Braver Than We Are. There is the Christmas album still in the offing for the future, and I got the impression that Meat was intending to record a number of duets for that.

BTWA is likely to have around 15 tracks. I really don't see why we should assume it will have a large number of duets .. there could be just a couple, which in an album with that many tracks is proportionately no more full of duets than BOOH.

I only remember one true duet on BOOH while on BAT 3 I believe we had three.
I don;t think a proportional comparison is fair as that is definitely opening pandoras box
Old 01 Oct 2014, 02:05   #18
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I only remember one true duet on BOOH while on BAT 3 I believe we had three.
I don;t think a proportional comparison is fair as that is definitely opening pandoras box
Which is why I compared it to BOOH .. That had 7 tracks with one duet. BTWA seems likely to have around 15 tracks. We have been told about one with Ellen and Karla, there is speculation that Imelda's might be on the album (although that is by no means certain), and it seems that Cian went to LA to record vocals .. we don't know of that is a duet or not. So I I said IF there were a couple it would be proportionate to BOOH. It's not about being fair or not .. I simply observed we do not know how many duets there will be .. but should there be a couple, proportionately it would be no more duet-heavy than BOOH. If there are 3 it will be proportionate with Bat3 .. but personally I loved that album too

I'm just looking forward to the new album. If anyone wants to start losing heart at this stage I think it's shame for whatever reason, and a little premature .. and in a fairly comprehensive state of not knowing
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 01 Oct 2014, 09:43   #19
TheDoode

Quote:
I'm just looking forward to the new album. If anyone wants to start losing heart at this stage I think it's shame for whatever reason, and a little premature .. and in a fairly comprehensive state of not knowing
Agreed and agreed!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 01 Oct 2014, 18:45   #20
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

We have no idea at this point because there may be as many as 15 songs and they are not likely going to fit on 1 CD so some tracks may not make the cut unless there is a double CD or stuff is saved for a future release. Jim does not write short songs typically.

I would think given the likely cost, that the Steinman songs will be on there. Unless they are certain of a second release in which case they could hold one of Jim's back to create buzz about the second album. But I doubt that.

It all depends on what the record company wants to release. A double CD could be risky in their view. If they end up doing that put Jim's songs on 1 disc and the rest on a separate disc. Otherwise I would assume it may be that Jim would have some input on what was placed beside his work and I doubt he will have as much (if anything) to do with the songs that are not his.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2014, 22:02   #21
lorenzoduke
Mega Loafer

Another veteran artist, Lucinda Williams, just put out a double album and it's likely to go top 5 this week. I would LOVE Meat to do a double. That the man who is known for his epics has got this far into his career without ever doing one is kind of surprising.
lorenzoduke is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.