mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:07   #26
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
No that is not a personal attack! It's just that I am sensing a rather biased approach here on this board towards other hard working artists: I.e. only Meat Loaf and his gang have ever had to endure a hard time and all other artists have an easy life. It's ridiculous. People (including me) slag off so many other artists because we don't like their music but that doesn't mean to say that people at the top of the charts work less hard than those at the bottom which in this case has been Meat Loaf here and Pearl.
I'm not going to drag other threads or the whole board for that matter into a thread and discussion about Pearl.

I will say a lot of the songs that are top of the charts right now .... I don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
I'm thinking that, which is OK, there's a lot of people on here who are.
Thanks for the bubble. Meat Loaf is my top dog. My music collection is vast and I don't stop discovering, which is still OK, because I'm good with it. So you can remove the tidy bubble you've placed me in.
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:07   #27
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

ignoring the past, (which aint easy), ignoring you know her musical history, the real questions are...

do you like her songs?
do you think shes a great singer?
do you think she deserves much more success than she has got?
do you think she should have a much bigger following?

and the answers to the above could probably be applied to millions of performers through out the world!

my question is why do you think pearl deserves success above the thousands of other great acts??
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:19   #28
Rage Against

Quote:
This weekend in the UK we have Glasto on. You only see the main headline acts on the BBC whilst there are countless other stages where other fantastic artists perform. I'm sorry but I do think people sometimes should look beyond the Meat Loaf bubble and see what's out there. You might be surprised to find something else that captures your interest just as much or maybe even more. I'm only saying this as there are many artists I can think of who are as good as Pearl or perhaps even better. Her dad certainly helped to open doors. If you don't believe that then why are we even debating her here on this forum?
First, Meat Loaf bubble? Come on. Why is that the instant defense when someone disagrees with a point. I like many artists other than Meat Loaf.

My point is, you said head start. 16 years isn't a head start in my opinion. Did it open doors? Probably. But let's give her some credit. If her dad's pull was that good, why wait 16 years to walk through the open doors? Let's continue the conspiracy then. Did Meat Loaf threaten Motley Crue to get her a back-up job?

And we're debating Pearl because a thread was started and you said something I disagree with.

Last edited by Rage Against; 27 Jun 2010 at 02:26.
Rage Against is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:25   #29
Rage Against

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
ignoring the past, (which aint easy), ignoring you know her musical history, the real questions are...

do you like her songs?

and the answers to the above could probably be applied to millions of performers through out the world!

my question is why do you think pearl deserves success above the thousands of other great acts??
I didn't say she deserves more success than others. I'm just saying, give her a little credit because some comments are making it sound like she had this handed to her on a silver platter.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:27   #30
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Against View Post
I didn't say she deserves more success than others. I'm just saying, give her a little credit because some comments are making it sound like she had this handed to her on a silver platter.
ok, dead on, i aint heard any of her stuff... twas only asking

and it was a generic question.. not directed to any person...

just a question, and i'd like to hear others thoughts on it
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:28   #31
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:

do you like her songs?

It was never a question of deserving over others.....the debate is about "head starts".
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:34   #32
Rage Against

Quote:
ok, dead on, i aint heard any of her stuff... twas only asking

and it was a generic question.. not directed to any person...

just a question, and i'd like to hear others thoughts on it
No harm intended in my answer. I was just answering your question.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:35   #33
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
No harm intended in my answer. I was just answering your question.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:59   #34
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
It was never a question of deserving over others.....the debate is about "head starts".
head starts??? youre gonna want massive media coverage then... that'll be the media packaging story or reality tv as its mismarketed as
Old 27 Jun 2010, 07:55   #35
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
You don't know that.
I know it's highly coincidental that the first gig she gets as a backing singer is for some bloke called Meat Loaf who just so happens to be her Dad.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 10:28   #36
A Slice Of English

I'm not really bothered enough to read everyones arguments but the general gist seems to be that some people think Pearl has been handed this on a plate whilst others do not.

I'm rather firmly in the "has not had this handed to her" camp. She has got a good enough voice that if she had wanted to sing since she was a youngster in any other family, I think it could be reasonably surmised that she could've ended up doing what she's doing. But why bother guessing at it? What purpose does it serve.

None.

You either like her stuff or you don't, but I think it is the height of rudeness to personally attack her over whether she's only in the music business because of Meat.
A Slice Of English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 12:38   #37
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slice Of English View Post
You either like her stuff or you don't, but I think it is the height of rudeness to personally attack her over whether she's only in the music business because of Meat.
I disagree that it is rude to suggest that. I think it is only natural you choose to do what you know best. She grew up in that world and liked it so why not take the opportunity? Out of the billion professions one can choose I think it is too coincidental for Pearl to be a rock singer too.

No-one said she wasn't talented though as far as I read here so why is it an attack? We were merely discussing that she has had at least some form of help along the way whereas other artists of that age may not and don't even get as far as she does and why she deserves to be a greater success than other artists. What I think is happening with the latter is that some people may seem to think she deserves success over other artists JUST because she is Meat's daughter and that IS rather rude.

Last edited by AndrewG; 27 Jun 2010 at 12:45.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 14:15   #38
A Slice Of English

Quote:
What I think is happening with the latter is that some people may seem to think she deserves success over other artists JUST because she is Meat's daughter and that IS rather rude.
I don't think a single person has said or suggested that in this whole thread.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 14:41   #39
AndrewG

Quote:
I don't think a single person has said or suggested that in this whole thread.
How would you know if you don't read everyone's argument? And also I didn't say that anyone suggested that but it is what I am gathering from this thread is what some people MAY seem to THINK. If I'm totally wrong then who cares.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 15:42   #40
A Slice Of English

I have since read the thread and saw nothing to suggest it, which begs the question of why you brought it up, other than to guess at peoples thoughts which is clearly a pointless exercise.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 17:20   #41
Rage Against

Quote:
She probably wouldn't have got a gig as a back up singer if it wasn't for her Dad, that's a pretty good head start.

And what constitutes 'paying her dues'? I hear it so many times and it's bullshit. It's a label people slap on somebody to make out that the artist deserve recognition more than somebody else just because they like them. There's a shitload of artists out there who've worked harder, longer and sacrificed more and really have paid their dues, Patti Russo springs to mind for one
Quote:
I know it's highly coincidental that the first gig she gets as a backing singer is for some bloke called Meat Loaf who just so happens to be her Dad.
But you can't say she probably wouldn't have got a gig as a back-up singer without Meat Loaf. How do you know that for sure? Do you have a crystal ball? If so, give me lottery numbers.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 18:06   #42
AndrewG

Quote:
I have since read the thread and saw nothing to suggest it, which begs the question of why you brought it up, other than to guess at peoples thoughts which is clearly a pointless exercise.
Just as pointless as not reading the thread and assuming what people have been writing or more so?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 20:18   #43
A Slice Of English

Quote:
Just as pointless as not reading the thread and assuming what people have been writing or more so?
No, because as my last post directs, I HAD read the thread at that point.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 21:35   #44
Mega Loafer

I have actually seen Pearl perform a few times, the best being a gig she did in York on her own. This was absolutely superb, the one in Camden was incredible as well.
I think she has an incredible voice, is sexy, has stage presence and i love the songs she does. My fave being Love Pyre, simple as that to me, love the voice, the songs and the atmosphere at a gig that she presents. I do hope she gets more exposure and comes back to the UK.
24K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 03:36   #45
Pudding

Quote:
But you can't say she probably wouldn't have got a gig as a back-up singer without Meat Loaf. How do you know that for sure? Do you have a crystal ball? If so, give me lottery numbers.
Some people believe in coincidences and some don't, I'm one that doesn't. Had she got a gig as a backing singer prior to Meat Loaf then my opinion would be completely different. He opened the door for her, and as a father I can't blame him, but lets not pretend that she got the gig just purely on merit.

Last edited by AndyK; 28 Jun 2010 at 11:35. Reason: petty name calling removed.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 04:52   #46
Rage Against

Quote:
Some people believe in coincidences and some don't, I'm one that doesn't. Had she got a gig as a backing singer prior to Meat Loaf then my opinion would be completely different. He opened the door for her, and as a father I can't blame him, but lets not pretend that she got the gig just purely on merit.
But that's not what we're discussing here. The point being debated was that she got a head start because of Meat Loaf. Being a back-up since 1994 isn't a head start in my opinion.

Now, you're second point. So if Pearl sang like a scalded cat, you think she would have gotten the gig anyway. Come on, she had to be able to sing to get the gig, whether Meat Loaf was her dad or not. Now, did she get the gig partly because Meat's her dad? Of course. But she had to be able to sing as well. And, you still can't say she would never have gotten any back-up gig with any band. You don't know that. But more importantly, why am I having to defend this point. I'm with Slice on this one (and we don't agree too often). Why even bring up whether or not she's earned her spot? It's just not needed. Just my opinion.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 05:21   #47
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Maybe her father has indeed opened some doors for her but is that a bad thing? If she was totally talentless but popular anyway and if she owed that popularity to nothing but her dad's fame and connections... But this isn't the case. Everybody who wants to achieve something, regardless of in which area, needs a network. If daddy is part of the network - fine. I bet Meat could have done much more to help her enter the market than just let her sing at his shows - but it seems as if she prefers to make it on her own for the most part. I rather consider it as a kind of apprenticeship.

Pearl has a good voice and is a very gifted performer. She just needs a unique style with regard to the songs, in my opinion.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 08:30   #48
Pudding

Quote:
But that's not what we're discussing here.
You're making less and less sense as post go on.

I think it's best to agree to disagree here. Some don't think she got a head start in her career and some do. Some people like her songs and some don't. One thing we all are in pretty much agreement with though is, to some degree she can sing and she's pretty good looking.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 16:26   #49
carole
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
Forgive me for posting this but I've just watched this three times and for the life of me can't understand why this lass hasn't made it into the big time.

Recorded on a dodgy cam opening for Meat at Nottingham, dodgy cam it may be but this girl gave her all and truely rocked!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcCsi...eature=related
Yeah I was at that Nottingham show and some others where Pearl sang and she was great. She's a very talented lady.

Carole
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2010, 17:04   #50
Dave
Mega Loafer

I like her stuff, not all of it, but overall she is pretty good! I like what I have heard of her more than the stuff from that Lisa chick who is opening for Meat Loaf for most of the dates. I have always wanted to see a Meat show opened by Pearl.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote