Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 31 May 2017, 23:34   #626
nightinr
Super Loafer

Strange choice not to do Bat. The judges seemed unimpressed either Simon or David said "I didn't think that was good".

Too many people on stage...should have concentrated on Andrew and Danielle who were the two stand out performers for me.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2017, 22:09   #627
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Strange choice not to do Bat. The judges seemed unimpressed either Simon or David said "I didn't think that was good".

Too many people on stage...should have concentrated on Andrew and Danielle who were the two stand out performers for me.
Just saw a clip of this someone posted on Vimeo.
I never watch this BGT crap. In fact I hardly watch broadcast TV as it is and refuse to sign up to ITV to watch a repeat. I commend them performing on there and if it gets people off their backsides and into the theatre instead to watch real talent then that's great and job done.

My personal thoughts are quite definitive now however:
Always bloody Dead Ringer! Indeed I think Bat is much better but understand they are trying to appease to the big hits and respective audience memories from the past.
To me it didn't do much at all emotion wise. It is not what I want from the music somehow.
I will leave my own Bat memories with Meat, in the past, with Manchester 2013 as a beautiful closer.
My mind's made up. Just think no one ever did or will ever do it better.

Good luck to them and hopefully the show lasts beyond the touring dates. It is great that so many people will be able to see it around the world in a short space of time. Quite unique I reckon.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 14:55   #628
eltmatt
Super Loafer

I got slated for saying it before but I think the dancing is way way over the top and too much of it for what is needed. The songs and lyrical content speak and emote for themselves without 20 people doing the mashed potato behind the singers (yes that actually happens in one song)
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 15:54   #629
CarylB
Mega Loafer

The only thing I'd add to Andrew's post is this. I agree absolutely that no-one will do it better than Meat did. But given he will not be keeping the Bat flying in live performances now, the door is open to do it differently, bring the composer's vision to life on stage, and introduce a new generation into performing the songs and discovering them.

To me the songs will always be as delivered with such unique passion by Meat, and I will hold those memories close. That has been my gift. But the sheer exuberance of the musical cast, the huge staging and over-the-top effects .. that is a new gift for others as well as for many of those who simply love the music, the songs.

I'd also add that given Meat always has been so integral to them, that his performance of them was so singular, it is a tribute to the musical and to this young cast that they ARE delighting so many Meat fans
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 17:12   #630
nightinr
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
I got slated for saying it before but I think the dancing is way way over the top and too much of it for what is needed. The songs and lyrical content speak and emote for themselves without 20 people doing the mashed potato behind the singers (yes that actually happens in one song)
The dance routines look like a glorified high school performance.....clearly the musical needs a new dance director.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 18:14   #631
chairboys
Mega Loafer

My take on the Meat endorsed Jim Steinman musical "Bat Out Of Hell".
I haven't seen it yet but by heck am I looking forward to it.
The music will be brilliant.
The theatre will be awesome.
The singers will be talented.
The dancers will dance to Jim's imagination!
My boys will love it.
I will be happy with their happiness.
I will have a couple of sherbets.
If I'm wrong I'll post!
I didn't pick the Derby winner.
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 04 Jun 2017, 19:37   #632
madonna123968848
Super Loafer

I am going to the opening night tomorrow, just wondering, can someone tell me how long the play is please? Thanks!
madonna123968848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2017, 10:38   #633
Ixion
Rookie

I saw this last night at the Coliseum in London and as someone who has grown up on these songs since I was a small kid I thought it was incredible. I had the biggest smile on my face by the end of the show.

I avoided all spoilers from the Manchester show so everything was new to me and I had no preconceived thoughts or ideas what to expect. The staging/set was incredible, I don't go to the theater often but I haven't seen anything like it before.

I loved almost every performance and thought the cast was great. I want to try and pick out a highlight but then I think of half a dozen other amazing moments and it feels unfair. I will say though as someone who really loves 2 out of 3 Ain't Bad I was really moved by that number and felt they did it justice. The entire theater clapping along to Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth was a lot of fun too. Also Falco/Sloane probably stole the show (I had never really given much time to What Part of my Body Hurts the Most but wow).

The only weak part of the show would be the Tink sub-story and to be honest I forgot the background dancers were even there most of the time. Wish there had been more of Everything Louder and I was amazed Lost Boys and Golden Girls didn't feature but they're just personal preference.

Great great great show that I'll go back and see again.

Last edited by Ixion; 06 Jun 2017 at 10:46.
Ixion is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 18:56   #634
tonyloaf
Metal Head

So last night in London for the world premiere , As someone who had really big mixed feelings about seeing this , I have to say its outstanding! Pure energy and a masterclass in production.
Yes this is music of Meat Loaf but you really must go with it and enjoy the show for the storey and not compare it to anything Meat has done.
I think this show is one of the highest standards in the musical business and really think it will be here for years to come.
Well done to the amazing cast and crew.
Go see it and enjoy!

Great to see friends from here , always brings the best nights
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Jun 2017, 23:05   #635
greg
Super Loafer

I have read that meat will not be going to see the run in London. Is such a shame
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2017, 00:32   #636
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Ok, it's been 24hrs so time to put my thoughts down on what I was fortunate to witness last night at the London opening of Bat Out Of Hell the musical (nicely timed to open on my birthday).

First off the staging, lighting and sound, could try to explain for hours about how this show was staged but you need to see it, without doubt the best I've seen. The use of live filming/projection I've never seen like that before, inspired. Loved how the main part of the stage changed constantly.

Choreography, in parts reminded me of Rocky Horror (not a bad thing at all) but I thought that in a couple of places there was just a bit too much and as good as the Paradise performance was I just didn't like the dancers, thought they weren't needed. Saying that though cut to Deadringer and oh my god it was brilliant, just brilliant.
Now those who know me know I'm just a tad of a Meat fan so have heard him perform most of these songs on a couple of occasions, coupled with some clips I'd heard/seen I'll admit I was somewhat apprehensive.......................I was wrong to be. The changes to some of the songs to duets was amazing, put a new perspective to them. You've got to allow the Meat songs to move on, you're not being unfaithful to Meat by enjoying this show and a different take on the material, just let this show carry you away, go for the ride, you won't regret it. I do have some concerns over the cast recording, I wish it had been a live show recording as opposed to in the studio, Raven (Christina Bennington) sounded much better live than she did on the radio when they played a track off the album, maybe being in character live allowed a better projection of the emotion I don't know.

Highs.... What Part Of My Body Hurts The Most was stunning, Deadringer as well. Making Love Outta Nothing At All.........I've listened to this song a thousand times but last night was the first time I ever really heard it, blew me away, just awesome. 2 outta 3, incredible and you had to be there for Took The Words with the audience clapping. BOOH reprise at the end was goosebump time, every single person in the audience on their feet clapping.......the stuff memories are made of.

Strat (Andrew Polec), Raven (Christina Bennington), Falco (Rob Fowler) and Sloane (Sharon Sexton) were brilliant and I love how they were all allowed to shine, there's kinda so many leads in this show. Onto Zahara (Danielle Steers) and Jagwire (Dom Hartley-Harris), an awesome pairing, voices were brilliant and really suited each other. I'll be honest that Danielle blew me away, absolutely incredible voice with stage presence and acting to match.

Got to mention Falco's nod to Meat with the red hanky, nice touch.

There's loads more to the show but I'm trying to avoid spoilers, just see it....................then see it again.
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2017, 11:12   #637
Danny L
Super Loafer

Making Love Out Of Nothing At All has been reinstated? That was chopped early in Manchester preview
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2017, 14:12   #638
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Too many positive reviews!
I'm hibernating until after my trip next week for fear of reaching levels of unattainable expectations.
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 15:27   #639
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
Making Love Out Of Nothing At All has been reinstated? That was chopped early in Manchester preview
That excited me too :) hope it's on the cast album
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2017, 09:42   #640
nozza
Senior Loafer

Saw the show last night & loved every minute.
nozza is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Jun 2017, 00:32   #641
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Jun 2017, 03:22   #642
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post

Oh WOW!
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2017, 14:42   #643
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

So excited to see this tomorrow!
Cherry.Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 00:04   #644
Ixion
Rookie

The set is incredible really, pictures don't do it justice. They've been very clever with it and how everything is staged.
Ixion is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 12:20   #645
Gez
Knicker thief

Wondering what the vip seats include at that cost, maybe a part in the musical
Gez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 12:21   #646
Danny L
Super Loafer

The stage looks bigger than the opera house?
Old 10 Jun 2017, 19:09   #647
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
The stage looks bigger than the opera house?
Stop watching Dr Who..
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 19:30   #648
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Stop watching Dr Who..
Lol but I think he means the Manchester opera house and I agree because the set seemed to go right off the end of the stage there!!
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 19:48   #649
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Regarding the second pic. If I saw that photo out of context I'd be guessing it was a musical about TRON.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2017, 18:47   #650
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Stop watching Dr Who..
i will never stop watching DOCTOR WHO!!

Yeah the Coliseum stage looks bigger than the one in Mancs.
1 User Likes This Post.