Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Old 21 Sep 2015, 01:34   #26
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
This board will lower your IQ in the long run I'm convinced.
I know. Some peopel just arent at our level of intelligense.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 03:38   #27
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
I know. Some peopel just arent at our level of intelligense.
Only you ... Never let it be said again the Amreican peopel have no sence of ironry
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2015, 04:43   #28
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Is that Howard Stern's dad?
Nah, good guess, but it's Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez, the first drummer in the E Street Band befoe Max Weinberg. The first line of "Blinded By the Light" is about Vini:

"Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat..."

Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 12:11   #29
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Julie do you like Springsteen ??
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2015, 16:40   #30
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyloaf View Post
Julie do you like Springsteen ??
Yeah, a little.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2015, 09:40   #31
chansadres
Senior Loafer

New interview, new info

About the album:
Quote:
It’s just very different, and it’s a lot of Jim Steinman stuff where he got other songs from—he stole from himself and made other songs. So most of the album is all Jim Steinman, and he’s been working with us on it.
If there are other songwriters on the album:
Quote:
No, there is one other song that the record company really liked and that we liked. This record is very thematic, much more than even Tommy would be. In Tommy they brought in different people to do different things, but I just change my voice to add to the characters.
About the contributors
Quote:
Well there’s one 12 minute song with Ellen Foley and Karla DeVito. Now for those people who don’t know, Ellen Foley was the girl who sang Paradise, and Karla DeVito was the girl who toured with us in ’78. There’s also a girl by the name of Stacy Michelle who sings with Kid Rock. So, yes, and Brian May’s coming in, Scott Ian’s coming in… there’s a lot of people.
And what it should sound like:
Quote:
The closest you could come would [be] going back to the 70’s with some Queen records
chansadres is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 16:36   #32
Ollie241189

Meat has confirmed a couple songs but, I think Caryl said it best, take what Meat says with a pinch of salt as things either change or ideas don't always work out.

Regardless of the tracklisting, this is Meat and Jim and if this IS Meat's last album, it won't be released with a bunch of half-assed songs. This will be an all out, balls to the walls, operatic, everything you got record and from what I've heard about the record, from interviews, this will be as full on and as in your face as Bat!

It's Jim and Meat doing what they do best!

As much as I'm looking forward to hearing it, I don't want this record to happen as, like I've said, it's being said that this will be Meat's final album... TBC
Ollie241189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2015, 16:48   #33
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me

Just read a new interview with Meat, he says one non-Jim song because the record company loves it.
CA: It sounds like you have a fantastic working relationship with him then. You have also worked with some other songwriters and musicians, though. Are there other songwriters contributing to do this, or is this purely Steinman?

ML: No, there is one other song that the record company really liked and that we liked.
http://www.longisland.com/news/09-22...-nov-2015.html
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2015, 17:37   #34
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

I look forward to the release of Bat 3 next year. Sorry, I meant "Braver than we are".

Hehe, couldn't help myself. Don't get excited... Anyway, I look forward to it. I really hope it goes well for them. I just listened to the new David Gilmour album the other day and loved that. It just went to Number 1 in the UK, I think? Now if it would happen with "Braver", I mean Bat 3, I mean "Braver" *Omg shut up*
rockfenris2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 26 Sep 2015, 20:12   #35
stretch37
Very Excited for Braver Than We Are!

Anyone know what Meat means by Tommy?

"This record is very thematic, much more than even Tommy would be."
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2015, 20:46   #36
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
Anyone know what Meat means by Tommy?

"This record is very thematic, much more than even Tommy would be."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_(album)

Eh?
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2015, 11:01   #37
JennaG
Mega Loafer

I have to admit that I'm a little bit disappointed to hear that there is only going to be one song written by another songwriter other than Steinman. Meat has worked with so many terrific songwriters over the years and I was really looking forward to hearing what they had to offer.

Oh well, we'll just have to see how things turn out. I won't judge the album until I've heard it.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 12:45   #38
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie241189 View Post
Meat has confirmed a couple songs but, I think Caryl said it best, take what Meat says with a pinch of salt as things either change or ideas don't always work out.
Did I write "pinch of salt"? Certainly, while Meat is working on an album I think it's wise not to examine every word in too much detail or take it as set in stone Just as hopes and plans for other work can be subject to change as time rolls by or life gets in the way.

But now Meat has completed the album save the final mastering, I think the recent interview gives us a clearer idea of the new album .. and as to the specific songs I'm happy to wait and see what they are when it is released.

Quote:
As much as I'm looking forward to hearing it, I don't want this record to happen as, like I've said, it's being said that this will be Meat's final album... TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaG View Post
Meat has worked with so many terrific songwriters over the years and I was really looking forward to hearing what they had to offer.
Meat loves doing what he does so much I don't think we'll ever know what his last album will be .. until some years roll by and we know in retrospect And given when he started he was lining up songs from other writers he was excited about, that's perhaps the strongest indicator that, to use his words, the Fat Boy hasn't sung yet Braver Than We Are has developed over time and become the album he will release next spring, and one he and Paul are so excited about .. which makes me excited to hear it. They will be working together on tour in the USA next year, hoping to tour again here the year after. That fertile brain and creative drive will not be parked in a drawer marked "Over; Fat Boy Sang" I suspect !
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2015, 13:24   #39
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

To me, it feels like a natural progression. Meat had an awful experience with Bat 3 and he almost just chucked it in completely (I think that's what he said in an interview once?). But then he comes back with HCTB which he was really happy with, really pleased with. And it's the album that he really wanted to make. Then it just progresses with HIAHB, and this time he gets to take advantage of what you can do nowadays making an album, e.g. you don't have to turn up to a studio and you can record say a vocal in your basement. I think he was really happy and thrilled with those albums. Then around that time, Jim gets inducted into the SHOF, and Meat does this amazing speech. Now here we are, coming up to ten years since TMIL, and it just... makes all the sense ever to me that Meat and Jim would be doing this NOW. He was really happy with the last two albums and now, he gets to bring Jim into the equation. It all feels right to me. And if it is the last album, well... Why not Meat and Jim?

Anyway, I'm liking this progression... whether I've imagined it or not, hehe...

Bat 2-->Welcome to the Neighbourhood-->Couldn't have said it better-->Bat 3
Hang cool teddy bear-->Hell in a handbasket-->Braver than we are.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 14:04   #40
chansadres
Senior Loafer

I think we're so lucky this time. If I get the story-line correct, Meat was recording some great Jim tunes and he would add some other in. But in an interview Meat said, that suddenly he got some new Jim tunes. Maybe because of some musical copyright thingy. I heard the bat musical will premiere in Toronto with another director. Probably he got the rights to records some songs he couldn't do before. If I had the material, for 1 Jim + Meat album I would do it. Maybe it will be the last they can do together. In another interview I read Jimmy is putting some real effort in the album. Every song goes by him for approval. We can't expect miracles with his health but that alone says to me this will be a great album!
chansadres is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 14:19   #41
rockfenris2005
Mega Loafer

I'm actually a bit scared about this album, because on one side I might have built it all up in my mind and then... but on the other side it's just so good that... my head just explodes or something. I'll come to this forum and just start drooling and people will be like, "Oh my God, will you shut up." Interesting predicament, haha. I think I'm going to like it tho. I hope so. I know it's different, but... if I put HIAHB together with say Bat 2 in my mind, I'm going to love it to tears.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 22:35   #42
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaG View Post
I have to admit that I'm a little bit disappointed to hear that there is only going to be one song written by another songwriter other than Steinman. Meat has worked with so many terrific songwriters over the years and I was really looking forward to hearing what they had to offer.

Oh well, we'll just have to see how things turn out. I won't judge the album until I've heard it.
I'm glad it is 90% Steinman even if it is some of his "lesser" stuff. HCTB was a good album but had some WTF lyrics.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 22:45   #43
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Tommy is the Who's concept album where Pinball Wizard came from. Meat's saying this record goes even further into concept than that which is awesome
proctorloaf is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Sep 2015, 23:41   #44
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:

Regardless of the tracklisting, this is Meat and Jim and if this IS Meat's last album, it won't be released with a bunch of half-assed songs. This will be an all out, balls to the walls, operatic, everything you got record and from what I've heard about the record, from interviews, this will be as full on and as in your face as Bat!

This is Meat and Paul with input from Jim and some suggestions. If it was truly Meat and Jim they would be working in NYC and not Nashville.

It's Jim and Meat doing what they do best!

No this is Meat doing what Meat does best. Jim is involved only in a consulting role nothing more. Jim is not hands on in the studio nor is he all that involved in the real creative process. He is making suggestions and listening to the rough tracks. Meat is more than kind to give Jim more credit than he deserves.

They have recorded enough songs for a followup if and when this one becomes a blockbuster...
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2015, 00:41   #45
stretch37
Very Excited for Braver Than We Are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Tommy is the Who's concept album where Pinball Wizard came from. Meat's saying this record goes even further into concept than that which is awesome
Thanks for that proctorloaf, makes so much more see now having some context :)
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2015, 01:33   #46
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
They have recorded enough songs for a followup if and when this one becomes a blockbuster...
what?
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2015, 09:06   #47
Ollie241189

Caryl, You messaged me on Facebook saying to take what Meat says with a pinch of salt sometimes. Remember? When I posted about him going blind? Then you explained about the surgery he was having? I should have explained this better in the original post...

Facepalm
Old 28 Sep 2015, 09:06   #48
Ollie241189

Quote:
How do you know these things???
Old 28 Sep 2015, 13:49   #49
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me

Quote:
I know Meat said they had enough songs to more than fill the album back when he only had I think 3 Jim songs or so. One is going on "Braver". I don't know if the others are recorded since Meat was still doing some vocals recently for stuff that will be on the album.

What stage the others reached are anyone's guess but I am sure they are being held in reserve. I don't know what constitutes a blockbuster these days. If this album is what Meat thinks it is, will he want to go out on top with Jim? I can see him doing more acting and maybe more recording if the muse strikes him, but he could choose to stop should this turn out to be the real Bat 3.
Old 28 Sep 2015, 16:59   #50
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
How do you know these things???
Simple math
Originally the album was going to be 15 or so songs only two being written by Steinman
As time has progressed Steinman as added more songs at the expense of the other ones.
Because Meat was out of action for a while I would say that it is more than likely that Paul went ahead and recorded the other songs and then waited for Meat to do the vocals.
While they were waiting Steinman came back with more songs and now all the songs except for one are Steinman songs.
For HCTB the same thing happened. Meat and Paul went to Rob with songs and Rob dismissed them as being for another album which I would say would be HIAHB.
That was one reason HIAHB came out so quickly after HCTB as it was more or less a completed projected.
All this information came from Meat himself through different posts.
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.