Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Old 14 Jul 2014, 11:22   #51
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
No dismissiveness, agonising or despair. I simply saw the aforementioned photo posted by John and wondered. I find it odd that Meat would go to the expense of buying a mobile studio and then only use it the once.
Studios are pretty much an old fashioned approach now. Anyone can record on their laptop with the proper tools and get a great sound.
I suspect that everyone will record their parts at their convenience and send them to Paul who will then work towards a finished product.
Meat has the mobile studio probably for his own disdain of a full studio and to cut expenses.
Alot of artists are using this approach and it makes financial sense and does not hurt the finished product. Unless the product in question was suspect from the beginning then no amount of tinkering will make it better than it already is,
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2014, 23:26   #52
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

I don't understand why Meat Loaf doesn't produce it himself. He did a fantastic job on the stuff he produced, he's just to modest IMO and cuts his self short on his talents and capabilities. I've always wanted him to make an album by himself like write the songs, play the instruments and produce just to prove that he's more than just an amazing voice.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2014, 23:35   #53
Breeze
Miss Inclined

Whoever produced HCTB did a great job. It is one of my favorite albums next to the Booh and Booh 11.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2014, 01:23   #54
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah's way View Post
I don't understand why Meat Loaf doesn't produce it himself. He did a fantastic job on the stuff he produced, he's just to modest IMO and cuts his self short on his talents and capabilities. I've always wanted him to make an album by himself like write the songs, play the instruments and produce just to prove that he's more than just an amazing voice.
I think he has taken a very active role in the production of his last two albums .. but I think he likes to collaborate. Certainly he brings the vision, knows what sounds he wants to be created, and is more than just the voice on his albums. He himself says his strength is not in song-writing, but again, he will make his contribution to achieve what he wants from a song, he just gives credit to the songwriters .. and to get the sound he wants he simply uses the best musicians, people who are leaders in their respective fields
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 08:47   #55
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah's way View Post
He did a fantastic job on the stuff he produced, he's just to modest IMO and cuts his self short on his talents and capabilities. I've always wanted him to make an album by himself like write the songs, play the instruments and produce just to prove that he's more than just an amazing voice.
It would be nice if we could see an album driven entirely by Meat but I think that it's unlikely to happen because I think Meat sees that working with others is the best way to get success for the albums. After reading some of the comments here that suggest that collaborating with Steinman is a guaranteed recipe for success, I can see why. I think Meat should have more confidence in his talents and I've often thought it would be cool to see him playing a guitar throughout a concert rather than in very limited parts.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 10:48   #56
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Why build yourself a house when someone else can build you a palace?
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 12:30   #57
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Meat IS much more than a singer .. he is a visionary, a creator, a skilled performer, designer and director, with a commitment to delivering his vision and continually raising the bar .. and not only in musical terms, but across his other love, acting and film-making

I think he has great and wholly deserved confidence in what he does, would not have had the continued level of success he has had and continues to enjoy in a fiercely competitive business if he didn't. But he is also well aware of his strengths and the strengths of others. He believes he has the best rock and roll band in the world .. few here would argue that he has recruited some of the most exceptional players around. He has the ability to know where he excels, and to identify the best in others and draw them to him to deliver his vision, which is imo one of his greatest strengths.

I'd agree .. why build anything on your own when with working others you can build something even more spectacular? One should never confuse the wisdom of an honest self-assessment of exceptional personal strengths and the humility to recognise exceptional talent in others, with a lack of confidence or self-belief
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 12:31   #58
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Why build yourself a house when someone else can build you a palace?
How about for the sense of achievement that you get from doing and creating something for yourself?

If everyone lived by your logic no one would ever do anything for themselves.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 20 Jul 2014, 23:07   #59
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaG View Post
How about for the sense of achievement that you get from doing and creating something for yourself?

To be fair Meat is at the top of his game when someone brings him something to work with. He can take it apart and put it back together to suit what he wants it to be.
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 21 Jul 2014, 18:39   #60
stretch37
Very Excited for Braver Than We Are!

Quote:

I think he was agreeing with you and Caryl :P I could build myself a basic comptuer game on my own as a programmer. Probably text based or with basic graphics. Or, I could hire a graphic artist and interface designer, and work with them to create a game much closer to my vision of what I want to develop. I think this is along the lines with what Meat does. he knows his strengths, and he uses them and continues to improve upon them. But he can put his ego aside and embrace working with others to bring in the bits where THEY excel, and put their minds together as a team to create something awesome.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2014, 22:28   #61
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
At present I'm not strong in customising eCommerce applications but does that mean that I should just give up and pay someone else to do it?
No, of course not (though if you were on a deadline and working to a contract you might have to in the short term), but what you're talking about is rather different isn't it. I'd think few artists are superb singers, guitar players (including bass and accoustic), drummers, songwriters, mixers, producers. This started in response to the post which included "always wanted him (Meat) to make an album by himself like write the songs, play the instruments and produce just to prove that he's more than just an amazing voice."

Meat has been a top flight performer for nearly four decades. Evil said "Why build yourself a house when someone else can build you a palace?"

I took the metaphor to aimed at the discussion on Meat and his albums, and not intending to suggest no-one should try anything new, nor develop their skills, nor sometimes do things for a sense of personal achievement. However, trying to be all things to all people often heads you towards disaster, and it would imo be bizarre if at this stage in his career Meat took it upon himself to try and attain the skills of Paul, Justin, John, Randy and Danny to prove he could .. just as at this stage in my life I am going to continue to employ plumbers, electricians and car mechanics when the need arises

Last edited by CarylB; 21 Jul 2014 at 22:33.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 02:47   #62
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
finding it hard to get pumped for this release, knowing the record company will screw meat over somehow with no single release, or shitty one.

I want a new music video, HIAHB got NONE.
I hope there is no Music Video. I think they're ridiculous and I think it's even more ridiculous when a nearly 70 year old man does a music video beyond a live clip.

No amount of marketing will make this album a success. It will have to become a hit on it's own, organically. Not from a record company shoving it down our throats.

Plus, I don't see why the record company WOULD get extremely behind it. ML hasn't had a bonfire hit in 20 years. I love him, but this is just a fact. You can't live off your past laurels and expect to be treated the same way as when you were making them money hand over fist. What have you done for me lately?

ML doesn't exactly appeal to most adults 18-35: The main music buying consumers, so I doubt it would help anyway.

IMO it's weak to say that something failed because the record company didn't get behind it. NOBODY was behind BOOH. NOBODY was behind Appetite For Destruction. They became legendary albums DESPITE the lack of initial support.

Him and Jim will have to do it again.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2014, 09:34   #63
NightAngel
Loafer

In relation to the original question - I am definitely excited and looking forward to this album. I would think that given that there is a while before its release it might appear that way at this stage...but knowing that both Meat and Steinman are working together along with all the other talented people - then I really can not wait for its release! I am certain that there are so so many others with the same sentiments!
NightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 14:14   #64
CarylB
Mega Loafer

I wouldn't go so far as to say music videos are ridiculous, and imo if Meat were to deliver one like AFL it would be a superb piece of film to watch, however they are expensive to make, record companies are cautious about investing in them, and I would agree that however good one was it wouldn't make a huge difference to sales and success of the album.

I suppose it's how you define "success". Nothing will repeat the phenomenal success of BOOH, and I think if you're hoping this will smash to number one and stay there you are wishing for the very unlikely. However, I don't consider any of Meat's recent albums to have not been successful. Bat III went to 3 in the UK, went Platignum, sold 3m worldwide .. which is hardly a failure. HCTB got to number 4 and went Platignum here, and HIAH went to number 5. The fact is as Ernie says, Meat's demographic doesn't match that of the singers who currently take the charts by storm, and the way Meat and Jim lit the fuse and built the blaze of BOOH wouldn't have the same effect now, even if they had strength to do it But Meat started with the aim of selling enough records to get backing to do it again .. and he has never failed in that

Ernie says " It will have to become a hit on it's own, organically. Not from a record company shoving it down our throats." I'd agree with that generally .. although airtime would help, just as advertising helps, to make the broader fanbase aware there is a new album, and to interest an even wider audience as the album launches. Meat will get on the road and promote it around the world I'm sure.

I believe it will be a great piece of work, which is imo Meat's main yardstick, and it will be a success .. unless you define that in terms that make achieving "success" unlikely. And for the record, I don't believe he has ever sat on his laurels, but fought for every success he has had .. and to raise the bar and deliver the best possible. And he will do that again
Old 22 Jul 2014, 22:57   #65
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
Meat will get on the road and promote it around the world I'm sure.
I don't doubt that at all and to be honest I think he is his best promotion tool. I can only speak for the promotion I remember seeing for HCTB and HIAH but he showed such enthusiasm, excitement and passion for the work that he was promoting and that's got to be a great thing. Other than making sure that the songs get a good chance of some airplay, I'm not really sure on what the record company can do?
Old 23 Jul 2014, 04:28   #66
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say music videos are ridiculous, and imo if Meat were to deliver one like AFL it would be a superb piece of film to watch, however they are expensive to make, record companies are cautious about investing in them, and I would agree that however good one was it wouldn't make a huge difference to sales and success of the album.
I agree with this. Legacy artists especially don't sell these days like they used to, and I don't think that even the best video is going to do much to change that. The core fanbase is going to buy the album regardless, and the kids who mostly watch the videos aren't going to be interested in the "old" artists. The record companies are going to invest money on promotion where they're likely to get the most return.

The idea of a big single as a means to sell an album is also becoming a thing of the past; thanks to iTunes and the like, people just tend to pick and choose what they want.

It used to be that artists toured in order to promote a record, but these days it's becoming the other way around, and the bulk of the money is made on touring. Legacy artists pretty much don't need to rely on a hit new album to sell tickets- Billy Joel still sells out stadiums, and he hasn't released a new album in over 20 years.

Quote:
I suppose it's how you define "success".
Agree; IMO, if one accomplishes whatever goal they set out to reach, that is a success.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 12:15   #67
JennaG
Mega Loafer

OMG! OMG! OMG!

This was posted on Imelda May's Facebook Page:

I'm wondering if she'll be on the new album? That would be so cool if she was as she's one of my favourite artists beside Meat.

Last edited by JennaG; 12 Aug 2014 at 12:21.
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 21:25   #68
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
OMG! OMG! OMG!

This was posted on Imelda May's Facebook Page:

OMG indeed! Hopefully this means there is a kick ass duet on the album!

I'm wondering if she'll be on the new album? That would be so cool if she was as she's one of my favourite artists beside Meat.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 22:42   #69
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Given Meat's schedule and the deadline he is working to I would suspect the answer is yes, unless he is guesting on a new album of hers. I don't think he'd be working on any other tracks for any album he was putting out except BTWA.

Good news if this is the case, because she has a good strong voice which matched Meat's extremely well during the tour she joined him on :)
Old 12 Aug 2014, 23:18   #70
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Given Meat's schedule and the deadline he is working to I would suspect the answer is yes, unless he is guesting on a new album of hers.
As far as I am aware she's not working on a new album and is still touring her 'Tribal' album that was released a couple of months ago so I thought it was more likely that she was guesting on Meat's newest album. She has a fantastic voice and has a lot if enthusiasm for her work so I think that she'll be a fantastic addition.

I think I could probably say that this little bit of news has got me quite excited.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 00:37   #71
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
It used to be that artists toured in order to promote a record, but these days it's becoming the other way around, and the bulk of the money is made on touring. Legacy artists pretty much don't need to rely on a hit new album to sell tickets- Billy Joel still sells out stadiums, and he hasn't released a new album in over 20 years.
This is the way that it should be IMO.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2014, 07:41   #72
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:

I think I could probably say that this little bit of news has got me quite excited.
me too
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2014, 03:06   #73
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ernie View Post
This is the way that it should be IMO.
Yes and no, IMO.

On the one hand, artists who have worked hard and proven themselves ought to be able to sell tickets on the strength of their name/reputation. On the other hand, there's little incentive (other than what comes from inside them) to continue to be creative and put out new music. I know this is an endless source of frustration to Billy Joel fans, for example. I've seen Billy himself complain in interviews that he's tired of playing the same old songs (a reason he gave for not touring as much), yet he has no interest in putting out new pop music. He's got a huge catalog, to be fair, but he doesn't seem to mix it up as much as he could.

Additionally, records cost a lot of money to make, and I think artists rightly want to get paid for their efforts. Ultimately, the artists get stuck with all the expenses. Up-and-coming artists I think have it the worst these days. While it's certainly possible today to make and promote music without a label, it's difficult without the initial capitol the labels provide. And without putting the music out, fans won't know enough about the band to buy tickets.

I just saw this documentary about a band that was sued by their own label. It's called "Artifact"; I recommend it:

YouTube Video
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.