Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 22 Aug 2018, 14:59   #176
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jaxx View Post
I bought the album, too and I like it very much. There is one thing that bothers me though. The drum sound is very clinical. It's missing some warmth, density and reverb. i am no studio engineer and I really have no idea how to achieve that. But there is something missing.
I've said the same thing about the last couple of albums as well. No knock on Paul at all; it may be the mark of a very common technique where the live drummer in the studio uses triggers (link is to a definition). Whoever made the choice should be introduced to Sound Radix Drum Leveller and Drumatom (links are to videos).

Last edited by letsgotoofar; 22 Aug 2018 at 15:05.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 13:46   #177
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

What a shame. The drumming on 'Hang Cool' was remarkable.
jmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 18:24   #178
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Hang Cool was an outstanding album. The Cavallo production was monumental.
On the other hand, I like Handbasket for what it is - A modern sounding album with a lot of great tunes. I found the production fitting. I can't say the same thing about Braver. I must say, I love the songs, but I really don't dig the production on that one.
2jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 01:46   #179
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

I have to say that I do dig the band, the tracks are similar to what Meat has been singing to for the past few tours and the return of Steve really makes a difference. But I can't get into Caleb at all - he's a brilliant singer, but he doesn't mean a word he's singing (like a sinner before the gates of heaven I'll come crawling on back to you) and I'm not really a fan of the effect used on the BVs - quite similar to the effects on Braver.

Andrew Polec outshines Caleb on performance by a million miles, and neither of them get anywhere near Meat (obvs). This BAT recording actually highlights just how amazing Andrew is at interpreting the songs.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2018, 02:39   #180
anotherday
Super Loafer

All of the BV's are done by Justin Avery.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2018, 09:05   #181
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Yes - Justin's an awesome singer but the effect makes him sounds like some sort of robot out of 2001 A space odyssey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
All of the BV's are done by Justin Avery.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Aug 2018, 20:19   #182
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
I have to say that I do dig the band, the tracks are similar to what Meat has been singing to for the past few tours and the return of Steve really makes a difference. But I can't get into Caleb at all - he's a brilliant singer, but he doesn't mean a word he's singing (like a sinner before the gates of heaven I'll come crawling on back to you) and I'm not really a fan of the effect used on the BVs - quite similar to the effects on Braver.

Andrew Polec outshines Caleb on performance by a million miles, and neither of them get anywhere near Meat (obvs). This BAT recording actually highlights just how amazing Andrew is at interpreting the songs.
Nobody else will ever be another Meat Loaf. I don't think the album was made thinking that. Meat is a method singer, his abilities to be an interpreter of the song is unmatched. The way he "feels" the song and conveys the feeling to the listener is a once in a lifetime performer. You are right in that Caleb doesn't convey any real emotion. I would however say he is on par with Polec IMO. Both are fine singers in their own way, it is just impossible to fill the shoes of "Bat Out of Hell".
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 00:31   #183
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Yes - Justin's an awesome singer but the effect makes him sounds like some sort of robot out of 2001 A space odyssey.
I admit, nitpicking being my nature, that it is a little strange. A body of different voices harmonizing just sounds better to me than one multi-tracked and/or run through some phaser to create a chorus.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 14:52   #184
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
I admit, nitpicking being my nature, that it is a little strange. A body of different voices harmonizing just sounds better to me than one multi-tracked and/or run through some phaser to create a chorus.
Still a lot better than this strange aberration of a background vocal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdHWGXMZeJQ

What were they even thinking?
Old 31 Aug 2018, 19:55   #185
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Now, now... if we can't say his name, we probably shouldn't be sharing his music either. :P
Old 31 Aug 2018, 20:56   #186
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Is putting someone in the pillory "sharing"? If it is, I swear I'll behave from now on.
Old 31 Aug 2018, 21:32   #187
anotherday
Super Loafer

Holy....

That was god awful.

I have no words...
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 01 Sep 2018, 04:30   #188
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Well, I guess that does serve an illustrative point: proof positive we needed a good Meat tribute.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 01 Sep 2018, 12:24   #189
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I actually thought that he was an outright parody for a period of five years. It never once occurred to me that he was serious...
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 01 Sep 2018, 12:44   #190
ajf33
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jaxx View Post
Still a lot better than this strange aberration of a background vocal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdHWGXMZeJQ

What were they even thinking?
Is this the guy that Meat sued for being to similar?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ad-ringer.html

Now an Elton John Tribute act apparently - http://www.eltonjohntribute.co.uk/

Last edited by ajf33; 01 Sep 2018 at 12:47. Reason: added info
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2018, 17:45   #191
anotherday
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf33 View Post
Is this the guy that Meat sued for being to similar?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ad-ringer.html

Now an Elton John Tribute act apparently - http://www.eltonjohntribute.co.uk/
Oh good, so he can butcher Eltons songs now, too?
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Sep 2018, 04:20   #192
CarylB
Mega Loafer

He started out doing Elton .. got too heavy and switched to Meat .. lost weight after his wife threw him out, and after failing miserably to extort money from Meat for his website domain (where if people assumed he was Meat he encouraged them) he went back to poor Elton He wasn't sued for being a "dead ringer" even though the journalist probably thought it very clever to say so .. he was sued for cyber squattiing! (Given it wasn't really on to try and sue him for being an AWFUL "tribute act", breaching copyright by putting the Bat 2 artwork on his chip van aka "tour bus", and total pain in the ass .. )

Last edited by CarylB; 02 Sep 2018 at 04:25.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 02 Sep 2018, 19:49   #193
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Also Meat got the website - as meatloaf . org is linked to meatloaf.net!
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Sep 2018, 10:45   #194
ajf33
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
He started out doing Elton .. got too heavy and switched to Meat .. lost weight after his wife threw him out, and after failing miserably to extort money from Meat for his website domain (where if people assumed he was Meat he encouraged them) he went back to poor Elton He wasn't sued for being a "dead ringer" even though the journalist probably thought it very clever to say so .. he was sued for cyber squattiing! (Given it wasn't really on to try and sue him for being an AWFUL "tribute act", breaching copyright by putting the Bat 2 artwork on his chip van aka "tour bus", and total pain in the ass .. )
That'll teach me not to read the article I linked to :
Old 03 Sep 2018, 10:46   #195
ajf33
Senior Loafer

Not sure if this has been answered, but, getting back on topic, why is the band being billed as the Neverland band, and not the Neverland Express?
Old 03 Sep 2018, 14:44   #196
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Caryl has alluded to it being some sort of legal thing (though I can't imagine exactly why).
Old 03 Sep 2018, 16:30   #197
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Also Meat got the website - as meatloaf . org is linked to meatloaf.net!
Such a shame .net never became a sort of historical hub that could have included all tour dates, photos from these concerts and setlists etc.

There is such a wealth of info that could have been collected into one place. Song lyrics. Info on each album: release dates, chart positions etc.

Instead all that information is spread across fan sites and they mostly will be gone in 10-15 years time I'm guessing.
It will only be Wikipedia and some YouTube videos from then on.

AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Sep 2018, 19:55   #198
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf33 View Post
Not sure if this has been answered, but, getting back on topic, why is the band being billed as the Neverland band, and not the Neverland Express?
There are various copyright issues as well as interests I think surrounding everything, and some probably go back years. It's one reason why they didn't want information leaking out, and various media setting hares running, before they had everything agreed with all parties connected and finalised. It made them look disorganised when in reality they were working through all the complexities to get everything right, all Ts crossed, before the press announcement.

Paul's posted a taster of the Bat Experience. And as well as the 4 dates we have so far they're booking in the US into 2019 after Caleb has finished his Nov/Dec tour with the TSO.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBatExper...3235187933802/
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Sep 2018, 20:02   #199
Dick
Super Loafer

So if Meat returns down the line will the band be back to being the Neverland Express?

Ie. is it only allowed to be Neverland Express with Meat fronting?
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2018, 00:29   #200
CarylB
Mega Loafer

I don't know Dick .. I guess if Meat were to tour again he'd probably use Neverland Express. If at some point he joined them to tell stories and with Caleb still singing (as was rumoured in the leaks earlier), who knows?

At this stage they have a name that reflects who they are, and doesn't imply Meat will be appearing as part of the show, which seems to me important as people can be gullible and make assumptions which would only lead to disappointment .. and no doubt some angry complaints on Meat's page, possibly even from trolls who haven't been to a show but just want to sound off. The Neverland Band identifies them I think as the band Meat has put together over many years, but as not being the Neverland Express backing Meat Loaf .. an important distinction, and one which gives them a discrete identity which they now need to promote and prove to promoters :)
1 User Likes This Post.