Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 02 Oct 2018, 00:43   #226
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
I don't think anyone was expecting Caleb to be Meat, TBH.
I think people are just going through a bit of shock as this is the first time we've seen anyone other than Meat with the NLE in concert.
Caleb is not Meat, he doesn't have the acting chops that Meat does. We aren't expecting him to be everything Meat is. But what he IS doing, is keeping this music alive until Meat can return for one final bow.

Thats all anyone can ask for at this point, and we're damn lucky we have this.
Meat got better with age, as so many have said here. I also think Meat's acting is bar none, but I agree with how lucky we are to have this. I hope everyone can find it in them to Give Caleb a chance He has a great voice and youthful attitude, and I'm hoping he will grow and change with the show, or they all would not have picked him.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Oct 2018, 18:35   #227
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

For once nobody is blaming the "crappy cell phone video" for the sound. Caleb is doing the right thing by not even trying to imitate Meat at all. Caleb is not an actor which was always Meat's strength in conveying and interpreting the lyrics. Instead Caleb is just delivering quite good vocals and keeping the band together along with Paul. Not sure how the kiss and groping scene in "Paradise" plays to audiences of today (or if I'm just jealous of Caleb, LOL). I often found "Paradise to run a bit too long for various reasons and I'm not sure the play-by-play is really needed except to back up the make out scene. I had a cassette tape where "Paradise" took up most of one side when Meat (probably) improved a scene about his girl's mom had to have an 8 slice toaster and rode in the back of the pickup truck. I also wonder if Caleb will still try that audience sing-along in "Took the Words" because I would not miss that either. Overall this is good and not just some "tribute" act with some overweight guy and his garage band buddies.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Oct 2018, 09:52   #228
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Here's another one. For what it is, I think it's a great effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA74d5BnuW4
2jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Oct 2018, 23:29   #229
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Considering that "Bat" essentially runs straight into "Took the Words" does this mean they are doing the album sequentially? I always liked saving "Bat" for the finale and have a big loud ending while Meat went around the stage soaking in the applause and saying thank you to the fans. I know one of Meat's shows at the Bottom Line refereed to being a "short show since there is only one album". Are they doing additional songs as well? Maybe at least IDAFL.
Old 06 Oct 2018, 01:42   #230
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

I refer you to this thread for a link to the set list.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Oct 2018, 20:13   #231
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Caleb sounds fantastic. He is doing this better than anyone could dream.

Im tired of a charade, these songs havent sounded this good since 2010.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 12 Oct 2018, 03:05   #232
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Watched For Crying Out Loud.
It sounds pretty good. Better than most tributes.

But I do agree with some of the criticisms in the comments. There is some lack of feeling in key points.
Towards the end of the song with the summary lyrics I always envisage this as something far more heartfelt. It almost looks as if Caleb is reading some lyrics from a cheat sheet or so. I could be wrong.

One would almost need to drop to their knees LITERALLY whilst sining these last lines. Meat didn't necessarily do that but it definitely made you feel that. This IS the moment that the truth comes out. The words are about appreciating every great thing that a loved one has done and is doing for the protagonist.

Jim once said that the Bat album HAD to finish with the words "I love you", that was already set in stone. And I always took that as a message to the fans as well or whoever would end up buying the album. Even if there would just be a few thousand rather than dozens of millions.

I think with some more work Caleb could possibly make everyone in the audience feel that particular passion a bit more. This particular climax needs the singer AND PERFORMER to throw everything at it I think rather than just be an audio demo.

It's mostly heading in the right direction I think but some more visual drama is probably necessary to elevate this a bit more.

Sorry to pick on things a bit more but I really think Caleb needs to wear a smart shirt rather than a T shirt hanging over jeans too. Randy is dressed better here. Really think the presentation needs to be spot on like it was with Meat if one wants to perform in the same spirit. Many tributes do that well btw. He shouldn't just be that guy in the random black t shirt in my opinion.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 12:56   #233
ajf33
Senior Loafer

Does anyone know if the full bat is being streamed anywhere, as have a few friends who are interested, but want to hear it before paying for it, and the snippets are not enough for them! I have looked but can't see it on anywhere like spotify, but thought id ask anyway!
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2018, 19:21   #234
anotherday
Super Loafer

It is not streamed anywhere. Its $9 and it goes to support the band. Bite the bullet! Its a great CD.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2018, 19:59   #235
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
It is not streamed anywhere. Its $9 and it goes to support the band. Bite the bullet! Its a great CD.
If you know Bat Out of Hell and are willing to hear a slightly updated version with another singer who does a good job, it is worth the $9.
Old 13 Oct 2018, 20:06   #236
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Watched For Crying Out Loud.
It sounds pretty good. Better than most tributes.

But I do agree with some of the criticisms in the comments. There is some lack of feeling in key points.
Towards the end of the song with the summary lyrics I always envisage this as something far more heartfelt. It almost looks as if Caleb is reading some lyrics from a cheat sheet or so. I could be wrong.

One would almost need to drop to their knees LITERALLY whilst sining these last lines. Meat didn't necessarily do that but it definitely made you feel that. This IS the moment that the truth comes out. The words are about appreciating every great thing that a loved one has done and is doing for the protagonist.

Jim once said that the Bat album HAD to finish with the words "I love you", that was already set in stone. And I always took that as a message to the fans as well or whoever would end up buying the album. Even if there would just be a few thousand rather than dozens of millions.

I think with some more work Caleb could possibly make everyone in the audience feel that particular passion a bit more. This particular climax needs the singer AND PERFORMER to throw everything at it I think rather than just be an audio demo.

It's mostly heading in the right direction I think but some more visual drama is probably necessary to elevate this a bit more.

Sorry to pick on things a bit more but I really think Caleb needs to wear a smart shirt rather than a T shirt hanging over jeans too. Randy is dressed better here. Really think the presentation needs to be spot on like it was with Meat if one wants to perform in the same spirit. Many tributes do that well btw. He shouldn't just be that guy in the random black t shirt in my opinion.
He does need some work but they haven't done many shows. I think he's have to be aware that he is not trying to pretend that he is Meat like so many "tributes" do. That would look ridiculous in a serious performance. Very few singers can do both a good voice and convey so much emotion. That put Meat in rare company. Caleb is still young and learning. I guess it is all about expectations to some degree.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 11:16   #237
ajf33
Senior Loafer

Quote:
I do not doubt it's a great cd, and I am willing to "bite the bullet" as you put it, as I'm happy with what i've heard from the samples! However my friends are a little more conservative, and would like to hear a little more than the snippets, or just the full length Bat!

Doesn't surprise me it's not being streamed, but thought i'd ask anyway, guess they'll have to wait till I have the album to be able to hear it in full lol!
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2018, 20:47   #238
evil nickname

The full length Bat still seems to be available for streaming at the bottom of the official website https://batexperience.com/
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2018, 19:08   #239
Wario

where is this 9$ CD?
Old 16 Oct 2018, 19:11   #240
anotherday
Super Loafer

On the website. https://batexperience.com
Old 17 Oct 2018, 08:49   #241
evil nickname

Well, as a download. There is no actual CD (at the moment).
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 04:18   #242
anotherday
Super Loafer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej6H...J_u3m3f8T_3qVY

Seems giving him some time to get into things has helped, for those who had criticisms.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 11:31   #243
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej6H...J_u3m3f8T_3qVY

Seems giving him some time to get into things has helped, for those who had criticisms.
Does sound and look pretty good.

Seriously how long has it been since the band performed the entire version of Anything for Love before this Caleb tour? I don't even believe Paul Crook was on board before Meat had already cut it.

Glad to see it being completely restored! It is ultimately what the majority of fans want I reckon.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 03:31   #244
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Does sound and look pretty good.

Seriously how long has it been since the band performed the entire version of Anything for Love before this Caleb tour? I don't even believe Paul Crook was on board before Meat had already cut it.

Glad to see it being completely restored! It is ultimately what the majority of fans want I reckon.
the last tour AFL was done in its entirety was the first leg of the Born to ROck tour in 1996.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 12:07   #245
Evil One
Mega Loafer

I'd pay to see this.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 19:20   #246
JaysScout
Senior Loafer

We saw the show on October 19th in Jim Thorpe, PA. Caleb was fantastic! I can't imagine another performer doing those difficult songs as well as he did. As always....the band was world class!!!

If anyone sees some video from the show, the reason that Randy's shirt looks so good is that my wife ironed it for him before the show. Randy is great on guitar.....not so good with an iron. LOL
JaysScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2018, 06:59   #247
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysScout View Post
We saw the show on October 19th in Jim Thorpe, PA. Caleb was fantastic! I can't imagine another performer doing those difficult songs as well as he did. As always....the band was world class!!!

If anyone sees some video from the show, the reason that Randy's shirt looks so good is that my wife ironed it for him before the show. Randy is great on guitar.....not so good with an iron. LOL
setlist just Bat in order then Lemon, frying pan, AFL and queen? any changes?
Old 25 Oct 2018, 13:51   #248
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

I still think he is mostly standing around and not really responding to Cian. It lacks some real emotion and energy. I still dig it because I like Caleb and his singing is technically very, very good. On the other hand, he should deviate more from the recording. He replicates the original vocal more or less. And he leaves out words when Cian starts singing, he should really complete the lines. It sounds way better.
And I missed the "hell".

Reads like a lot of criticism. I still like it a lot.
2jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 16:29   #249
JaysScout
Senior Loafer

Yes. The same set list.
JaysScout is offline   Reply With Quote