Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 14 Jun 2018, 15:15   #6826
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (2018 )

Let's start by the best thing they could come up with to start this sequel...

They created the freaking multimillion park on an Island with an active volcano!? So all the research all the money that went into building this park for the future, and they overlooked this minor detail... In other words, you realise the quality of writing into this and just hope for the best...

And to be fair, the first 30 minutes or so were kind of promissing (although already very predicatable). And then... everything collapsed like a house of cards. Same annoying, non-developed characters. Same 'if we do it bigger it must be better' mentallity that failed the first JW movie and the dumbest, incredible stupid, plot/story of all of the Jurassic movies. CGI is quite good at times but also pretty underwhelming several times. So even there it didn't do an outstanding job.

Where Colin T. destroyed JW with his bad directing, they did the same in this movie by bad writing. Again they managed to destroy the tention before it can actually develop into tension. It is poorly and predictable written. From the guy on the ladder in the opening to the underwater scene with Claire and the tech guy (who's name I forgot),you know what's coming and it never draws you into the movie.

I wonder if anybody actually smiled (let alone laugh) about the tech-guy's 'jokes'. It's an insult that these movies are now part of the legacy of Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park.

It has been a while since I saw JP 3. I remember it to be bad. JW was by far the worst big budget movie of 2015, but I might find this one even more terrible than those two movies.

I agree with Andrew. If you didn't like JW, avoid this one like the plague. But even if you enjoyed that one, you have to be able to shut down your expectations, common sense and basically stop your brain for anything logic. Yes, I know, it's fantasy, not a realistic movie whatsoever, but at least make sure your writing make sense. JWFK is a mess when it comes to these things.

All of a sudden "Let's go watch 'Solo'!" doesn't sound that bad after all.

3,5/10
You might appreciate Mauler's breakdown of the movie on YouTube. I like his rage and appreciation videos.
I agree with one of his main criticisms in reference to what Jurassic Park (the novel and the first movie) was mostly about was that life breaks free from the restrictions we place on that, like trying to run a zoo but it never works out.
But in all subsequent movies the reasons for life breaking free is sheer stupidity beyond that type of arrogance (leaving cages unlocked (JW2), having a tooth collection fetish (JW2), Uhm I don't know what happened here - they just escaped (JP2), just walking into an enclosure where the most dangerous dinosaur should be (JW1 - that caused ALL the mayhem if you think about it), going to an island where everyone escaped from and nearly died (JP2 / JP3 / JW1ish / JW2 definitely) ).

Every movie after JP 1 has been quite stupid and I think ultimately that is quite unnecessary. Real life scenarios of children falling into enclosures AND THEN going in
or dinos escaping because they find a weakness somewhere (JP1) would probably be better.

In JW2 a much better start to the story would have been poachers making their way through a security system around the island (it should be restricted after JW1),
and that they had nothing to do with the original people. Instead the original people should be trying to stop it and Claire and Chris Pratt were simply the best people to have on the team or so. It seems InGen in the end were up to their old bad tricks again, very much like in JP2. It would have been more realistic if the US military had completely quarantined the island and InGen is no more. I don't like the James Cromwell character stuff the more I think about it. All of a sudden Hammond had a partner. Meh.

Also Mauler's point about the Mosasaurus' tank suddenly being connected to the ocean was interesting. Why in hell's name would there even need to be a door? Were they ever going to let it out? Why? When the T Rex steps on the iPad the iPad loses connection with the door closing system so it stops. Why write it that way? An analogue connection makes no sense like that. So, why not simply when the T Rex steps on it, it reverses the closure system and opens the door instead. That would be more logical, no? And it would only have required a graphic change on the iPad I think which could even have been done in post when they realise that it is a bit dumb the way they had it now.

All quite stupid indeed.

Oh well. Still enjoyable I thought if you switch your brain off.

I did like the scene where the boat left looking back at the island especially. It did seem to close the entire Jurassic Park island book nicely. But indeed, as Mauler pointed out, what about the other island in JP2? Is it no longer canon?

In JW2 we learn that ACTUALLY the experiments first took place underneath Hammond's mansion.

I bet in JW3 or JW4 we find out that ACTUALLY the first dinosaur was created in the backseat of the car that the heroes just so happen to be driving at that point.

I'm sure in 10 years from now there will be the first or already sequels of: "Transformers IN Jurassic World." if Paramount and Universal can team up.

I honestly hope they make a decent JW3. Sam Neill is in it and that is that. But I'm sure the franchise won't be left alone for too long somehow.

Last edited by AndrewG; 14 Jun 2018 at 15:49.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2018, 00:15   #6827
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018 )

Great thrill ride. When the dinos are NOT in groups on screen the CGI is astonishingly perfect and very convincing. 4DX is relentless on this one.
Nothing deep story wise but a decent continuation of JW 1. If you didn't like that, don't bother with this as it's no better. They show too many key scenes in the trailer too. Some dumb bits in the first half hour but it definitely picked up I think and I just wanted to see where they were going with it all and had me very intrigued.
I enjoyed it and really appreciated the nods to JP1.

Now bring back Sam Neill in JW3 and we can lay the franchise to bed for a bit.
7/10
I agree and would give it 8/10. Spectacular, action packed, emotional, and quite scary in places. The best sequel by far.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2018, 07:34   #6828
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
emotional, and quite scary in places.

Are there two versions of this? I must have watched something else...

LOL Happy you folks like it though. I really don't understand how.

Solo (2018 )

Actually quite a fun movie. I wouldn't want to call it something from the StarWars Universe, it's actually more like an Indiana Jones movie.
A few nice nods though and the ending of this movie created a path for the plot of the Kenobi film.

Lando was by far the best part of the movie. It's hard to replace Harisson Ford and this Han was therefore a diffferent one than we know from the trilogies, but Lando was... Lando. Brilliant.

Didn't expect I would enjoy it but I did

7/10
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2018, 17:49   #6829
AndrewG

Fences (2016)
Perfect acting from the entire cast. Denzel Washington his usual great self but Viola Davis' performance really was show stopping here in particular.

Probably works better as a play than a movie I reckon which I would have liked to have seen with the same actors but the snippets I've seen of James Earl Jones taking the main part look great too.
Worth your time if you like acting to take certain stage in a movie.
9/10

----

Notable mention for having seen The Greatest Showman (2017) a couple of times recently but I've not mentioned it yet.
Probably one of my favourite musical movies.

I wish the movie version of the Les Miserables musical had taken this approach (studio record the songs and mime on set, it works much better) and also had this quality music video director. It pays off for sure. The choreography and the shots thereof are perfect. Les Mis looks poor in comparison. Whilst the stage version is tremendous. Such a shame.

They did a great job with the Greatest Showman. Some great songs and super cast with Jackman rightfully taking centre stage.

Could have been a bit longer (another 15 mins I reckon) with perhaps another couple of songs thrown in but it was pretty great with some inspirational songs and lines.
8/10
Critics are clearly deranged giving this only 56% on Rotten Tomatoes. I mostly ignore them these days.

Last edited by AndrewG; 17 Jun 2018 at 17:55.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 18:56   #6830
AndrewG

*centre stage....
Old 21 Jun 2018, 23:15   #6831
Adje
trying to be realistic

Batman (1990)

Michael Keaton is Batman. Period!

Besides, Burton did a terrific job on bringing the Bat to the screen. Great dark comic atmosphere. Too bad he never did the third one (preferably with Keaton). It would, without a doubt, be the best superhero trilogy ever made.

But hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad

I like this movie better and better through the years.

8,5/10
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 04:34   #6832
Adje
trying to be realistic

Death Wish (2018 )

Remake from the Charles Bronson classic with Bruce Willis. I prefer the original but this was a fast paced, straight forward, no-nonsense, old fashion action flick.

7/10
Old 24 Jun 2018, 04:41   #6833
Adje
trying to be realistic

Tomb Raider (2018 )

I never liked the Angelina Jolie movies of Lara Croft. So I was, kinda, pleased they started over from scratch.

Unfortunately this movie is even worse. Except for a few great stunts this movie lacks everything you can expect from an action adventure.

4/10
Old 20 Jul 2018, 01:20   #6834
Adje
trying to be realistic

Ghost Stories (2017)

Quite scary at times. Great atmosphere, great acting. Much better than I expected it to be.

7,5/10
Old 20 Jul 2018, 01:24   #6835
Adje
trying to be realistic

Rampage (2018 )

I like most of the movies that stars Dwayne Johnson. But this one was a miss and failed in many aspects.

6/10
Old 29 Jul 2018, 01:10   #6836
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Mission Impossible Fallout

Flawless epic action thriller. Funny, clever but understandable plot, extraordinary action, great supporting cast and a powerhouse performance by Cruise.

Nailed it.

Have no idea what they will do to raise the stakes next time!

10/10
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:21   #6837
Adje
trying to be realistic

Enter the Dragon (1973)

In it's time it may have been a great movie, but it really is just a showcase of what Bruce Lee can do. The story is silly and flat and the movie hasn't really stand the test of time. I forgot about Bruce's facial expressions. They are not always meant to be hilarious, but they are.

6/10
Old 17 Aug 2018, 01:32   #6838
Adje
trying to be realistic

Not a movie but...

Castle Rock (2018 )
is a tv show based on the fictional location of most of Stephen King's books. It's a thriller/mystery story with hints to Stephen King books and characters. But even if you don't know his works the series is a story on its own.

I usually don't have the patience for tv shows like this, but Castle Rock is grabbing me. It seems slow but everything shown has meaning. It has the build up of a Stephen King book, something almost every King movie lacked.

Season one will have 10 episodes (5 already aired) and season 2 is already anounced (with an entire different storyline and characters).

8,5/10 (so far)
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Aug 2018, 02:41   #6839
AndrewG

Saw these over the last week:
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Utterly fantastic. Better than I even remembered it being.
Gene Wilder is just perfect and most of the jokes still work so well. They simply do not make comedies such as these anymore.
9/10

Hidden Figures (2016)
Pretty good if a bit auto-pilot in places. One particular stellar scene which is worth the wait.
7.5/10

Loving (2016)
Superb true story but a bit hampered by sub par acting in places or simply lack of emotion. There is probably a better movie that could be made here I think.
6.5/10

The Awakening (2011)
Decent horror. Nothing to write home about. Not as good as say The Others but it does get into that direction in places. Always like Rebecca Hall for some reason.
7/10

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
Unbelievable action and mega loud soundtrack but very good audio and great visuals. Probably one of the best blockbusters in recent years still.
Watched it in 3D at home. The 3D is great but for some reason lip sync was off. No idea why as original 3D Blu Ray, never seen it before with my setup. Shame but was bearable.
Very surprised Warner Brothers aren't pushing sequels out sooner. Far more interesting than their hap hazard DC comics franchise in my opinion (well except Wonder Woman).
9/10

Mama (2013)
Jumpy horror with interesting ideas but feels like it leaves loose ends a bit too much maybe. It's ok, nothing too special. The movie does a decent job I guess.
Jessica Chastain looks like Nena. She had decent character development in the story.
Old 19 Aug 2018, 02:47   #6840
AndrewG

The Disaster Artist (2017)
I loved it. James Franco did a great job and is quite unrecognisable.
Somehow quite inspiring.
8.5/10
Old 21 Aug 2018, 00:01   #6841
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Meg (2018 )

Not Jurassic World bad but for a suposed horror movie involving a giant shark that's killing people, this was pretty meh. I just don't hope that every blockbuster is now getting Asian actors and Asian settings so it can score on the Chinese market. It was way too obvious in this movie. Most deaths and plot were pretty predictable.

6/10
Old 26 Aug 2018, 01:35   #6842
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Equalizer 2 (2018 )

The first one was faster paced, this one shows a more indepth view to Denzel Washington's main character. Although I prefered the first one, this was also a very decent action thriller.

7/10
Old 01 Sep 2018, 01:21   #6843
Adje
trying to be realistic

Murder by Death (1976)

Peter Sellers, Peter Falk, David Niven, Alec Guiness. Just to name a few. In, what I consider, the greatest murder mystery comedy ever made. From the hand of Neil Simon, who passed away last week
A must see!

9/10
Old 01 Sep 2018, 04:29   #6844
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Murder by Death (1976)

Peter Sellers, Peter Falk, David Niven, Alec Guiness. Just to name a few. In, what I consider, the greatest murder mystery comedy ever made. From the hand of Neil Simon, who passed away last week
A must see!

9/10
Oh yeah I love this film it is hilarious. Also, Peter Falk.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 03 Sep 2018, 19:04   #6845
meat_loaf
Man of Steel Hunter of the Beast

40 Days & 40 Nights (2002)
meat_loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2018, 20:48   #6846
Adje
trying to be realistic

Ocean's 8 (2018 )

Missing the cleverness and wit from the other movies. Ladies did a decent job.

6/10
Old 18 Oct 2018, 22:59   #6847
Adje
trying to be realistic

Hidden Numbers (2017)

Fun to watch. Decent feel good movie based on true events. Was it Oscar worthy? Oh well, I guess everything is nowadays.

7/10
Old 18 Oct 2018, 23:22   #6848
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Halloween 1978 - 4/5, great stuff, atmospheric and Jamie Lee Curtis is a powerhouse
Halloween H20 - 3.5/5, love it, best of the sequels by far (haven't seen the new one though, going soon, very excited). Fun, jumpy, well directed, and with a top notch performance from JLC.

My Fair Lady - 3/5 - great performance from Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn is class, but she's so very loud and keeps shouting GARN the whole time. Only got halfway but will finish it soon.

Jigsaw - 3/5 - a decent restart for the franchise, good traps, some decent enough acting, and some clever if slightly obvious twists.

The Birds - 4/5 - great stuff, tense, atmospheric, and unnerving.

House Of Wax 1953 2/5 - Vincent Price is a legend and rightly so, but this is not in any way scary, jumpy, or horrifying.

Theatre Of Blood - 3.5/5 - That's more like it, superb performance by Vincent, a good revenge plot, and some cleverly inspired murders. It is VERY 70s.

Wicker Man 1973 - 3.5/5 Also good. Edward Woodward is great and of course Christopher Lee is sublime. With inexplicable hair.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 01:58   #6849
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Haunting of Hill House (201

TV series (10 episodes) that is very well written. Great character development while telling a suspensful dark tale.

8/10
Old 23 Oct 2018, 01:06   #6850
Adje
trying to be realistic

Halloween 2018

For me the most anticipated movie of the year.. I consider John Carpenter's original as a near perfect movie and it's one of my all time favorite movies.

And so I waited for this one, and waited and waited... Then I saw the early screening reviews and they were over the roof, so I desperately wanted to see it myself. And I wanted it to be good, I wanted a great sequel. And today I saw it and...

Halloween is a good follow up movie. But not great. Not Halloween great, or even Halloween II great. But a decent thriller with nice winks to the original and follow up movies. But I guess I was overhyped. I am not disappointed but ... well I am disappointed. But I guess I expected too much.

In the end it might end at the #3 spot in my list of favorite Halloween movies (Halloween and Halloween II are on top of that list, then a gap then the sequels than a larger gap, than an endless pit, then Colin Trevorrow's Jurassic World at the bottom of that pit with the T-rex eating the piles of sht that Rob Zombie crapped out)

Halloween fits in today's horror/thriller movies and the reinvented Michael Myers reminded me enough to the original Michael. But it didn't thrill me and I have to admit that at times I got a little bored.

Not gonna spoil a thing about the storyline, though.

7/10