mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 11 Nov 2005, 03:28   #1
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Default Who's the BEST lead guitarist Meat Loaf has worked with?

Who do you think THE best lead guitarist Meat Loaf has worked with is? Not just touring, but studio as well.

For me it would have to be Todd Rundgren. No one has ever made a guitar sound like a motorbike the way he did.

Pud
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 04:58   #2
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Paul Crook .. he's absolutely incredible !
Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 08:13   #3
Heli
Daddy's little internet junkie

Well Pud, Todd does rock after all !! oooh i remember when I went to see him last year....i was on front row and he got right up to the edge of the stage and just played his guitar!!!! *jaw drops* !! Was pretty magnificant!!

Seeing as though Paul is the only one I've seen, I've got to say him really! Damon was good, but I prefer Paul's style of playing more....^_^!
Heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 08:48   #4
Leah
Mega Loafer

Hmm best lead guitarist for me is somebody who we haven't seen play live yet and that is Eddie Martinez, My personal favourite though has to be Pat Thrall with Paul coming 3rd.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 08:52   #5
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli
Seeing as though Paul is the only one I've seen, I've got to say him really!
This why I put Not just touring, but studio as well. in my original post. I think some are basing their opinion purely on the fact that they've seen them in concert, which doesn't necessarily mean they're the best but the best they've seen.

I'm sure most people here have Bat 1, Bat 2, Deadringer, WTTN, CHSIB etc etc etc plus the official video's, concert video's/DVD's, plus the numerous bootlegs knocking about and so on and so forth. So I think a fairly good, educated, impartial point of view can be given.

Pud
Old 11 Nov 2005, 09:27   #6
Heli

Well to me, you can do anything in the studio...you can make certain sounds by working on them etc......but on stage it's there and then and you're almost ripped to your bare essentials.

Todd played that solo once....Paul plays it everynight on tour! Now that's gotta say something, right??
Old 11 Nov 2005, 09:55   #7
Deb
Mega Loafer

Have to agree with Heli there. What we hear on an album is a lot of work that has / can be played about with. What we hear on stage is far nearer whats real. So choosing a touring band member is just as good

Which mucks your idea of me chosing due to me favs, as that would actually be Damon lol. But I do feel Paul has the all round better package. Playing / stage presence etc.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 10:28   #8
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb
Which mucks your idea of me chosing due to me favs, as that would actually be Damon lol. But I do feel Paul has the all round better package. Playing / stage presence etc.
Actually it doesn't muck anything up because I never said people are choosing due to their favourites, I said: I think some are basing their opinion purely on the fact that they've seen them in concert which is true.

Also I'm not talking about all round package, looks, hair colour, leather pants etc don't constitute a good musician, I'm talking about pure playing ability. Even if some knobs were twiddled in the studio for Todd, I'm sure enough people have seen him play live with Utopia etc.

Pud
Old 11 Nov 2005, 10:28   #9
AndyK
Relentless

Now this is a tough one ... for me it's down to Paul or Bob Kulick for the on stage work or Todd for the recording.

Best technically (in terms of playing skill) has to be Paul, likewise stage presence, although Bob was great in a mid-80's poodle rock way (if a bald man can be a poodle rocker).

Todd has produced some fantastic recorded work, and live he is spectacular. But I think that for sheer versatility Paul edges it - his solo's are less screaming than Pat Thralls or Damons and there's a calrity to his playing - especially when coupled with the backup from Randy that is incredible.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:03   #10
Heli

Studio wise then I will definitely have to agree with Todd...BOOH technically as genious and that was definitely due to Todd (in my opinion). He's just a musical genious!

But my vote still goes for Paul. Live is always better imo!
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:31   #11
Bart
Bald Mega Loafer

My choice is based on sentimental and it is Bob Kulick. During my teens he was Meats guitarplayer. His stageprecense is good and funny. When he spinnes around it is great to watch and he has got his own sound. It is clear to hear when he is playing. Besides that a bold thin man besides the fat long hair dude.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:44   #12
Deb
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding
Actually it doesn't muck anything up because I never said people are choosing due to their favourites, I said: I think some are basing their opinion purely on the fact that they've seen them in concert which is true.

Also I'm not talking about all round package, looks, hair colour, leather pants etc don't constitute a good musician, I'm talking about pure playing ability. Even if some knobs were twiddled in the studio for Todd, I'm sure enough people have seen him play live with Utopia etc.

Pud
I've seen Todd and Paul play and I still think Paul.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 14:15   #13
Winston
Super Loafer

Paul
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 14:25   #14
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Would have to say Paul.
His motorbike guitar is out of this world
Also, that note at the begining of 2 Outta 3 on live with the Mel Symph .
Most amazing thing is his energy.The run on Out Of The Frying Pan, never missing a note, that was something else to watch .
Close runner up would be Mr Pat Thrall .Great stage presence, and let's face it, the boy can play .
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 16:18   #15
KebLou
Mega Loafer

I don't agree with the guitars being played about with, when you play in the studio the difference is if you make a mistake you can go over it, whereas if you make a mistake on stage you just have to carry on. Granted people do mess about with it, but it's a waste of time playing it if you are because you can generate the guitar sounds without playing. I think Paul live, he's the only I've seen play lead for Meat, but Todd as well, if we can take into account other cd's concerts they've played at, Todd again.
KebLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 17:17   #16
Diane
Super Moderator

Todd Rundgren. The man is a genius, a wizard, a true star! The very best guitarist ever on a Meat Loaf album.

Paul Crook has brought a whole new element to the live Meat sound ... a much punchier, harder edge without losing any of the melodic quality of the songs. My vote goes to him for best Neverland Express guitarist.

Diane
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 17:43   #17
Heli

I'd like to also remind you all that Brian May has worked with Meat Loaf, so I vote for him!

(God I'm such a geek aren't I ).....

...........don't answer that!
Old 11 Nov 2005, 22:07   #18
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli
I'd like to also remind you all that Brian May has worked with Meat Loaf, so I vote for him!
That's true, I forgot about him, I'm gonna change my vote from Todd to Brian. Anyone who can write a song about women with fat arses, has got to be some kind of genius

Pud
Old 11 Nov 2005, 23:07   #19
Heli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding
That's true, I forgot about him, I'm gonna change my vote from Todd to Brian. Anyone who can write a song about women with fat arses, has got to be some kind of genius

Pud

YEY!!! Me and Pud agree!! Miracles to happen!
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:30   #20
dottie
queen post- whore extraordinaire

Bob Kulik definitely - grew up with him - if you know what I mean and he did let me touch his tight leopard skin trousers at Hammersmith - just the once.
dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2005, 12:04   #21
chrissylf22
Cry Over Me

i would have to say Paul
chrissylf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2005, 13:02   #22
Skeleton
Mega Loafer

I think itīs Paul or Todd.. Difficult to choose. Both of are excellent guitarists..
Skeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2005, 20:17   #23
Jaymze
Super Loafer

Pat Thrall- that man is rock and roll all over
Jaymze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2005, 22:27   #24
Space Monkey
Super Loafer

I think Paul's a great guitarist, but sometimes perhaps a bit too flashy. On the Melbourne DVD/CD he misses the start to YTTWROOMM, for example.

I really liked Pat Thrall live, although was it Bob playing guitar on Two Out Of Three on 'meat loaf live', because that solo is awesome?

I think if we're saying 'best' then Todd has to take it for his work on Bat. The Bat motorbike on the album can never be beaten. Also, just by 'filling in' as he puts it, he added all the riffs to Bat in between lines.
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2005, 17:30   #25
Suslak615
Rookie

None of those are the best guitarist Meat ever worked with, its Davey Johnstone who performed on the Dead Ringer album is an amazing guitarist. He is better known as the longtime guitarist with Elton John, and he plays all the guitar on almost all of Elton's classics, he might not been with meat for long, but his body of worth is right up there with anyone.

Jack
Suslak615 is offline   Reply With Quote