PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 15 Jul 2018, 14:32   #1
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Default 2016 Analog Spark Bat Out Of Hell

I haven't seen any discussion on this here, so am I the only one who bought it? In 2016 Bat Out Of Hell was released as a hybrid SACD/CD and it's probably the best version I've heard. It's not the same mastering as the old SACD, there's a bit more clarity in the high frequencies and a bit more bass. That said, it still sounds about the same as every other BOOH album I own.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2018, 20:54   #2
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Ah... bass and oomph is basically what I have thought was missing on previous masters. I don't know whether you can rip an SACD to flac to listen to in the car!
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2018, 09:33   #3
evil nickname

Since it's a hybrid SACD, there is also a regular CD layer.
evil nickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2018, 09:44   #4
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nickname View Post
Since it's a hybrid SACD, there is also a regular CD layer.
Understood but I didn't know if that benefited from the same improvements as the SACD. If it does then happy days :)
Old 16 Jul 2018, 15:59   #5
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Understood but I didn't know if that benefited from the same improvements as the SACD. If it does then happy days :)
Well, yes and no, I guess.

The SACD and CD layer of the disc will probably contain the same mastering (e.g., more pronounced bass). The CD layer won't have the higher sampling rate and other technical benefits of the SACD layer, but you can rip and encode it.

While it's technically possible to rip the SACD audio and convert it to FLAC, I don't know if that would carry over all the technical benefits.

Whether or not you'd be able to hear those technical differences is another story altogether.
Old 16 Jul 2018, 21:09   #6
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nickname View Post
Well, yes and no, I guess.

The SACD and CD layer of the disc will probably contain the same mastering (e.g., more pronounced bass). The CD layer won't have the higher sampling rate and other technical benefits of the SACD layer, but you can rip and encode it.

While it's technically possible to rip the SACD audio and convert it to FLAC, I don't know if that would carry over all the technical benefits.

Whether or not you'd be able to hear those technical differences is another story altogether.
Hmm £23 on Amazon. Too much to risk it on lol. Although it does say remastered from the original stereo tapes...
Old 17 Jul 2018, 12:48   #7
ajf33
Senior Loafer

Is the earlier version of this, the one that has a virtually "new" recording of paradise, with the female vocals changed from Ellen Foley to Karla Devito, and the "sex sounds" virtually wiped out during the play by play?

Edit - just been pointed at this video, and Id say that it's Patti not Karla, but for those who have the 5.1 surround version is this the Paradise thats on there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZ1BaKqW4g

Last edited by ajf33; 17 Jul 2018 at 13:21. Reason: added info
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2018, 16:52   #8
evil nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf33 View Post
Is the earlier version of this, the one that has a virtually "new" recording of paradise, with the female vocals changed from Ellen Foley to Karla Devito, and the "sex sounds" virtually wiped out during the play by play?
No, this is a different, stereo mastering.
Old 17 Jul 2018, 19:13   #9
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf33 View Post

Edit - just been pointed at this video, and Id say that it's Patti not Karla, but for those who have the 5.1 surround version is this the Paradise thats on there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZ1BaKqW4g
That's definitely Patti. I remember hearing the isolated channels before.
Interesting it was actually used for the Rockband game. It's a shame these types of games peaked at that point with the stupid cartoon graphics as the Guitar Hero Live footage with a real crowd looked so awesome but came way too late in the rhythm music game stuff. A real crowd and real band along with the ability to select whichever song you have in your library for say a 10-20 song setlist would have been an amazing game that just never happened.

I remember also hearing years ago that parts of the original raw vocal track tapes were either lost or destroyed in a fire or something hence they probably had to redo the track for 5.1 with Patti trying to sound like Ellen which is impossible. Also considering SACD came about when Patti was firmly in the band it makes sense she was used to fill in the missing gaps I guess.

Last edited by AndrewG; 17 Jul 2018 at 19:25.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2018, 01:34   #10
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

I should get this, seems a bit of a shame having an sacd player for so very many years, and only having 1 sacd to play on it... Out of interest, anyone else's chsib sacd got disc rot?
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote