Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 05 Jan 2011, 20:59   #5551
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy One View Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. George Lucas is a ~~~~ing cretin.

That was a disappointment, but to be fair I don't think all the blame can be pinned on George. I found some of the direction to be deeply uninspired and uninvolving, the script was pants in places, they wasted a great female character, and I would prefer not to think about the monkeys or the fridge thing.

I thought Harrison Ford was pretty good though, and it had a great intro.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2011, 21:03   #5552
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
I thought Harrison Ford was pretty good though, and it had a great intro.
Up until the fridge. I can fully understand why Sean Connery chose to stay retired. Raiders Of The Lost Ark is on in 5 minutes. It is much better.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2011, 21:35   #5553
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Little known Indie fact for you, apparently the bloke who played the Gestapo officer (I think he must have researched his role from Allo Allo judging from the costume ) made a cameo appearance in Last Crusade as Heinrich Himmler in the scene where Indiana goes to Berlin to get the diary back.

I'll be looking for that next time I see the film
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jan 2011, 23:24   #5554
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
I'll be looking for that next time I see the film
Two weeks time then. Temple Of Dooooooooooooooom next week.
Old 05 Jan 2011, 23:56   #5555
AndyK
Relentless

Just finished watching Shallow Grave, very odd but compelling.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 00:01   #5556
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
Just finished watching Shallow Grave, very odd but compelling.
The flat mate interview bit is fab. This was when Ewan McGregor made interesting and less predictable movies imo. Though his casting in the Star Wars prequel trilogy did help to save that from complete disaster.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2011, 00:14   #5557
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Though his casting in the Star Wars prequel trilogy did help to save that from complete disaster.
It was still a complete disaster.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 00:25   #5558
AndrewG

Quote:
It was still a complete disaster.
What?! You didn't cry at the Darth Vader "Nooooooooooo!" bit?

Georgie, what have you done....
Old 06 Jan 2011, 08:12   #5559
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Lol - I thought Revenge Of The Sith was actually pretty good, right up until that point... which of course is probably the most important point of the whole 6 films (or maybe 9 now - apparently sequels are in the works).
Old 06 Jan 2011, 10:42   #5560
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
Lol - I thought Revenge Of The Sith was actually pretty good, right up until that point... which of course is probably the most important point of the whole 6 films (or maybe 9 now - apparently sequels are in the works).
George always had envisioned the whole sage as a 9 parter ... Journal Of The Whills was the overall title as I remember. Sadly any plot ideas he had originally will now be rewritten to take into account CGI and merchandise marketing opportunities.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 10:50   #5561
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
George always had envisioned the whole sage as a 9 parter ... Journal Of The Whills was the overall title as I remember. Sadly any plot ideas he had originally will now be rewritten to take into account CGI and merchandise marketing opportunities.
....AND the great, great Jar Jar Binks don't forget. There's a whole trilogy of movies they could make about him. You'll love it.

Old 06 Jan 2011, 11:05   #5562
AndyK
Relentless

As he was one of the better things in The Phantom Menace (which really doesn't say alot about the rest of film really as he was a complettely pointless character) I wouldn't be at all surprised.
Old 06 Jan 2011, 11:07   #5563
AndrewG

BTW. the latest I heard on Star Wars is that they are not planning any more films at all. Also I don't really get what has happened with the TV series they were going to do.

Instead I've read they are announcing a Blu Ray release for later this year and then a release of all 6 films, yet again, in 3D in the cinema starting with Phantom Menace next year. After which we will get another Blu Ray 3D release.

Also to be rereleased in 3D is Titanic next April to mark the ships' 100th Anniversary, possibly the entire Harry Potter series and all the Shrek movies again.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 03:40   #5564
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Shattered Glass, a movie about journalist Stephen Glass who fabricated a number of articles. Very interesting story and good acting.

Quote:
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. George Lucas is a ~~~~ing cretin.
I'm a fan of the first three movies but this one is kind of disappointing. Appears a little uninspired to me (compared to the other movies), I don't think that a young co-star was necessary, the fridge szene is bizarre and why the hell is Shia LaBeouf riding a present-day Harley-Davidson when the movie is supposed to take place in the 1950s (while wearing clothes that make him appear like Marlon Brando in The Wild One - but Brando rode a Triumph).
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2011, 04:49   #5565
AndrewG

Star Trek Generations on Blu Ray.
Blu Ray certainly enhanced the movie experience with this one. Even straight from the simple graphics on the menu screen and the brilliant music by Dennis McCarthy it was a thrill to sit through.

Interesting too to see almost 30 minutes of deleted scenes including the original ending which I think wasn't too bad actually but I can see why the chose to reshoot parts.

Probably my second favourite Star Trek movie, after First Contact which I still think is the best and will probably never be surpassed.

Great stuff here too. Feels pretty timeless in fact, even though the film is already 17 years old. Fab Blu Ray presentation I would highly recommend to any fans.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 17:16   #5566
Hypnobabe
mszee's Mistress with sexy goddess boots

The Brave - Johnny Depp's first and so far only attempt at directing. Very dark subject matter, but not gory, at least, not up until the point I'm at so far....
Hypnobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2011, 21:00   #5567
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

A Japanese anime film called Lupin III
Jo and I were channel hopping at stupid o clock this morning (without much luck of finding something good) and I paused on the film just long enough to do a silly voice on the subtitles.Then another, resulting in the two of us watching nearly the damn whole film voicing all the characters between us.

In our version, a Scotish count abducted a young lady who sounded like Mrs Cohen from The Life Of Brian.
The hero (a proffessional thief) then tried to free her with his sidekick (who sounded like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas) an Australian samurai warrior, and a woman with a high squeeky voice (not Jo's ).
The Count's gardener had a thick Japanese accent (until halfway through when he had a sex change because Jo started to do his voice) while the Japanese police detective chasing the thief seems to have spent a lot of time in Germany.
Everyone at Interpol was from Birmingham.

It was all too daft to mention, but it was a lot of laughs as me and Jo tried to keep up (especially as I kept getting my accents for each character mixed up ).
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2011, 23:01   #5568
MeatGrl1
No Day But Today

Location:  Sitting on the steps outside looking so restless and reckless and lost!
Talking

Tickle Me -EP and before that The Tourist - Johnny Depp
MeatGrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:20   #5569
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom. I realise it wasn't a particularly good film when it first came out, but it has aged poorly compared to Raiders Of The Lost Ark. This is the first time I've watched it in HD and the special effects are bad. Even the mine cart chase isn't as good as I remember it. I know it got hacked to pieces in this country to get a PG certificate, but even so it is a disjointed mess. The worse part though has to be Mrs Spielberg. All she does is scream through out, although given all that happens to her character perhaps that is understandable. In all a

Next up on my list of shitty films: Die Another Day.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:27   #5570
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom. I realise it wasn't a particularly good film when it first came out, but it has aged poorly compared to Raiders Of The Lost Ark. This is the first time I've watched it in HD and the special effects are bad. Even the mine cart chase isn't as good as I remember it. I know it got hacked to pieces in this country to get a PG certificate, but even so it is a disjointed mess. The worse part though has to be Mrs Spielberg. All she does is scream through out, although given all that happens to her character perhaps that is understandable. In all a
Yeah Spielberg recognised quickly what he had done with her character was all wrong in Indiana. The Laura Dern character in Jurassic Park was his response to that he said in an interview. The good thing about the quality of the visual effects in JP and other such nineties films is I doubt the movies will as a result age less quickly as for example the original Indiana trilogy seems to have. Some bits still look good but there are indeed some horrendous scenes, ie the mine cart as you say and also the blimp scene in Indy 3 looks awful.

Quote:
Next up on my list of shitty films: Die Another Day.
Lol. Didn't think it was bad. I prefer that one instead of the new James Bond shit.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:39   #5571
Sarge
Mega Loafer

The Quiet American (1958 version) and 36 Quai des Orfèvres
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2011, 18:50   #5572
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Star Trek Generations on Blu Ray.
Blu Ray certainly enhanced the movie experience with this one. Even straight from the simple graphics on the menu screen and the brilliant music by Dennis McCarthy it was a thrill to sit through.

Interesting too to see almost 30 minutes of deleted scenes including the original ending which I think wasn't too bad actually but I can see why the chose to reshoot parts.

Probably my second favourite Star Trek movie, after First Contact which I still think is the best and will probably never be surpassed.

Great stuff here too. Feels pretty timeless in fact, even though the film is already 17 years old. Fab Blu Ray presentation I would highly recommend to any fans.

First Contact is for me the only decent one of the Next Generation films, and is an absolutely cracking film imho. Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are brilliant original Trek films, and I thought the recent Star Trek XI was awesome too, and the best of the bunch. It was what previous Star Trek films could have been if they had had the budget.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 19:23   #5573
AndrewG

Quote:
First Contact is for me the only decent one of the Next Generation films, and is an absolutely cracking film imho. Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are brilliant original Trek films, and I thought the recent Star Trek XI was awesome too, and the best of the bunch. It was what previous Star Trek films could have been if they had had the budget.
Well yeah, budget was a big problem with a lot of the Star Trek films. (Star Trek 5 visual effects - shockingly bad! Story wasn't too bad - liked the idea and a lot of the humour was good).
I thought the last two Next gen films were utterly useless. Such a waste of that cast. Most of the next gen episodes are better than those films. Crazy.

I liked the new one but felt old Spock was an unnecessary character and didn't make any sense at all. Why would you get the oldest person alive flying a superfast spaceship and try to rescue a civilisation?
In that sense the story could have been a bit different if old Spock had to be used per see, the idea is actually very similar to Generations in that respect (old character from the original series travels through time to help the new characters of the franchise).
Perhaps the baton should have been handed over from a character of the next gen series who travelled through time. Age wise it would have made more sense to have say Picard or Data fly that spaceship. They should have just forgotten about the Data Nemesis thing and gone with him I think.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 19:56   #5574
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Lol. Didn't think it was bad. I prefer that one instead of the new James Bond shit.
So do I but it's still pretty poor.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 20:10   #5575
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
Quote:
So do I but it's still pretty poor.
Remind me to put you two on ignore on Nov 9th 2012 then